S&m

• Replies 329
  • Views 37.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Getting the prep ready for Prest is like a military operation , warm clothes packed ( it's going to be a cold one) weather doesn't look too good I am afraid huh.gif which means the rooms will be rammed ph34r.gif

Hearty food sorted and list prepared so I don't forget anything , all that needs to be done now is to study whats on offer who is playing when and can I be in many places at the same time ?

Looking forward to seeing friends that travel a fair distance for this event and that I don't see very often along with the great entertainment and choice that is on on offer.

Mustn't forget to listen to the guys on the radio too some great sounds hit those airwaves.

Guest SAFC-SOULBOY

Looking for one spare wristband if at all possible for a good pal of mine.....Please PM me.......

Many thanks..

See you all there on Friday thumbsup.gif

post-3150-12566403695074_thumb.jpg

Accommodation and Two Wristbands available:

I have booked and paid for a 1-bedroom CLUB apartment for this weekend. Due to the recent sad death of a friend and another's unavailability, there's only me now occupying and it would be a shame to waste the space.

The bedroom is a twin (I think, or 2 bunks) and there's also a double sofa-bed in the lounge so ideally an additional couple or a couple of mates could be accommodated. This has cost me £130 per person but with the short notice I'm offering the accommodation (with myself in residence!) and 2 X whole event wristbands for the bargain price of £55 each. Anyone interested please PM me by 10.00 on THURS Evening after which I will be off-line. If I can't get takers for the accommodation/Bands together I'm prepared to sell separately - accomm £30 per person and the Bands for £25 each but I'd like to exhaust the package option first.

Thanks for looking.

Jorge Lewis

Excuse me if I'm being dim but I've trawled throught the pages and cannot find the start and finish times for Carl and Maria's room...

Can anyone help please...thumbsup.gif

I put a post up askin for the Arena programme a day a so ago!

Was just ignored!

With so much on over the weekend it would be nice in advance to plan where you wanna be in which Arena!

Pehaps they dont get that concept!!

Nige B

Guest James Trouble

Excuse me if I'm being dim but I've trawled throught the pages and cannot find the start and finish times for Carl and Maria's room...

Can anyone help please...thumbsup.gif

It was 9 till 8 last year if I remember right? I'll give Maria a buzz and ask her, doesn't seem to be any response from the main promoters...

Sort of sorry to post this here, cross posted from sales, but hopefully you'll see it's relevant:

Just to let you good folk on here know, I have x4 spare 12's of either Kenny Bobien or Stephanie Cooke material for sale, which I am bringing along to Prestatyn this weekend. These are ideal to get signed by the artists over the weekend!!

I'm at work at present, so can't remember prices, but from memory I can tell you that the 12's in question are:

Kenny & Friends You Are My Friend (US Cover)

Kenny Bobien Right Away (US Spiritually Sound)

Stephanie Cooke Holding On To Your Love (US King Street)

Stephanie Cooke Rain Let It All Come Down (I think this is the Part 2 remixes) (US King Street) (STILL SEALED)

If you're interested in any of these give me a shout over the weekend.

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

I put a post up askin for the Arena programme a day a so ago!

Was just ignored!

The guys must be flat out organising everything and have live acts to manage too.

But I found that strange to be missing so just looked it up on the website and I found it.

Edited by Maria O

Any programe details for each Arena,, been on the web site theres not much detail there!!

Nige B

Yes, just finished putting up the DJ times for Arena's 1, 3 & 4; so that's the Main room, Queen Vic and Redemption all listed. Arena 2 & 5 being the Modern and House of Soul listings have been up for a week.

Included on the front page is also a link to Starpoint Radio, more info should be available over the next few days :ohmy:

Have fun now people..... www.soul-weekenders.co.uk

Yes, just finished putting up the DJ times for Arena's 1, 3 & 4; so that's the Main room, Queen Vic and Redemption all listed. Arena 2 & 5 being the Modern and House of Soul listings have been up for a week.

Oops, thought it was all up there last time I looked too :ohmy:

Bit busy tonight to format it properly, but grabbed the stuff into a sheet that I can print out at work (with a highlight placed on the Saturday afternoon :huh: .)

Anyone can do this in a few quick minutes, but I'll upload it if it helps.

m

ARENA.pdf

SATURDAY

CARL & MARIA WILLINGHAM'S RARE REDEMPTION SUITE

06.00pm-07.00pm - Chic

07.00pm-07.45pm - Dawn Carmen

07.45pm-08.30pm - James Trouble

08.30pm-09.15pm - John Weston

09.15pm-10.00pm - Pete Hullatt

10.00pm-10.45pm - Ted Massey

10.45pm-11.30pm - Joan Livsey

11.30pm-12.15am - Simon Hunt

12.15am-01.00am - Mick H

01.00am-01.45am - Andy Dyson

01.45am-02.30am - Soul Sam

02.30am-03.15am - Carl Fortnum

03.15am-04.00am - Keith Money

04.00am-04.45am - Fred Krol

04.45am-05.30am - Nick Hackett

05.30am-06.15am - Maria W

06.15am-07.00am - Phil Shields

CLOSE

....so chill..... wink.gif

m

Just seen an add on TV for Lucoazade new one shot Alert. That should do it! Want to be around for Phil.

alert_plus.jpgDo you think I could get sponsored?

Edited by Dean
Guest Glawster

Included on the front page is also a link to Starpoint Radio, more info should be available over the next few days wink.gif

Have fun now people..... www.soul-weekenders.co.uk

Also a new line in headphones as modelled @ Soulfusion last Saturday!

post-11061-12688760792158_thumb.jpg

Here you go the full agenda , hope the one's that posted weren't going read this :D all this for how much ?

I shall be getting the dobber out later and marking what I don't want to miss :rolleyes:

PRESTATYN 2010

A BIG WELCOME TO PRESTATYN

ARENA 1 - NORTHERN SOUL

FRIDAY

02.00pm-03.00pm - Dave Tidswell

03.00pm-04.00pm - John Barker

04.00pm-05.00pm - Glyn Sisson

05.00pm-06.00pm - Yocki

06.00pm-07.00pm - Rick Bramhall

07.00pm-08.00pm - Mick Boyle

08.00pm-09.00pm - Snowy

09.00pm-10.00pm - Nige Brown

10.00pm-11.00pm - John Poole featuring at 10.30pm

THE MIDNIGHT HOUR DANCE COMPETITION

in association with Bee Cool Publishing and Manifesto Magazine

11.00pm-12.00pm - Dave Raistrick

12.00pm-01.00am - Sean Chapman

01.00am-02.00am - Butch

02.00am-03.00am - Roger Banks

03.00am-04.00am - Andy Dyson

04.00am-05.00am - Carl Fortnum

05.00am-06.00am - Keith Money

06.00am-07.00am - Dave Rimmer

07.00am-08.00am - Mike Bolderson

CLOSE

SATURDAY

SOUL NIGHT SHOWCASE

02.00pm-03.00pm - Twisted Wheel Manchester featuring

03.00pm-04.00pm - Pete Roberts, Clarence Bennett, John Green

04.00pm-05.00pm

05.00pm-06.00pm

THE BIG ONE

06.00pm-07.00pm - Tony T-Bone Edgley

07.00pm-08.00pm - Andy Smith

08.00pm-09.00pm - Kev Murphy

09.00pm-10.30pm - Sean Chapman

10.30pm-12.pm THE MIDNIGHT HOUR REVUE

featuring SIDNEY BARNES, MARY LOVE, KENNY HAMBER and

THE HESITATIONS backed by The Midnight Hour Soul Band

12.00pm-01.00am - Ginger Taylor

01.00am-02.00am - Mick H

02.00am-03.00am - Butch

03.00am-04.00am- Tim Brown

04.00am-05.00am - Chris King

05.00am-06.00am - Keith Minshull

06.00am-07.00am - Dave Evison

07.00am-08.00am - Rob Smith

CLOSE

SUNDAY

THE BIG PARTY STARTS HERE

12noon-01.00pm - Mike Bolderson/Carol McCarthy

01.00pm-02.00pm - Twisted Wheel Manchester Boys

02.00pm-03.00pm - Nige Grice/Ginger Taylor

03.00pm-04.00pm - John Barker/Phil Turner

04.00pm-05.00pm - Andy Smith/Carl Fortnum

05.00pm-06.00pm - Sam Moore/Brian Rae

06.00pm-07.00pm - Karl Rhodes/Ian Cunliffe

07.00pm-08.00pm - Bernie O'Brian

08.00pm-09.00pm - Roger Banks/Dave Rimmer

09.00pm-10.00pm - Tony Edgley/Keith Minshull

10.00pm-11.00pm - Glyn Sisson/Rick Bramhall

11.00pm-12.00pm - Yocky/Mick Boyle

12.00pm-01.00am - Keith Money/Nige Brown

01.00am-03.00am - Sean Chapman & Guests

CLOSE

ARENA 3 - THE QUEEN VIC

FRIDAY

11.30am SOUL NIGHT SUPER SHOWCASE SOUL TOWN MIDDLETON

Featuring Soul Sam, Carl Fortnum,

John Weston, Nick Hackett, Dave

Rivers, Des Parker, Terry Gee, Neil

Jones, Chris Morgan, Pete French,

Colin Wood, Pete Hullat, Ian Cunliffe,

Jed Parker, Mick Howard &

Sue Claxton

11.30pm CLOSE

SATURDAY

11.00am-05.30pm LIVE BIG SCREEN FOOTBALL

CLOSE

R&B SPECTACULAR

07.30pm-08.15pm - Kev Kuss

08.15pm-09.00pm - Kev Drage

09.00pm-09.45pm - Sam Moore

09.45pm-10.30pm - Steve Tuck

10.30pm-11.30pm - Hoss

CLOSE

SUNDAY

11.00am-06.00pm LIVE BIG SCREEN FOOTBALL

FOR THE CONNOISSEUR

06.30pm-07.30pm - Colin Wood

07.30pm0-8.30pm - Keith Money

08.30pm-09.30pm - John Weston

09.30pm-10.30pm - Mick H

10.30pm-11.30pm - Nick Hackett

CLOSE

ARENA 4 - REDEMPTION

FRIDAY - OLDIES ALL NIGHTER

08.00pm-09.00pm - Geoff Claxton

09.00pm-10.00pm - Kev Jones

10.00pm-11.00pm - Mick Boyle

11.00pm-12.00pm - Keith Minshull

12.00pm-01.00am - Nige Brown

01.00am-02.00am - Dave Raistrick

02.00am-03.00am - Snowy

03.00am-04.00am - Glyn Sisson

04.00am-05.00am - Ian Wills/Rick Bramhall

05.00am-06.00am - Brian Rae

06.00am-07.00am - Sam Moore

CLOSE

SATURDAY

CARL & MARIA WILLINGHAM'S RARE REDEMPTION SUITE

06.00pm-07.00pm - Chic

07.00pm-07.45pm - Dawn Carmen

07.45pm-08.30pm - James Trouble

08.30pm-09.15pm - John Weston

09.15pm-10.00pm - Pete Hullatt

10.00pm-10.45pm - Ted Massey

10.45pm-11.30pm - Joan Livsey

11.30pm-12.15am - Simon Hunt

12.15am-01.00am - Mick H

01.00am-01.45am - Andy Dyson

01.45am-02.30am - Soul Sam

02.30am-03.15am - Carl Fortnum

03.15am-04.00am - Keith Money

04.00am-04.45am - Fred Krol

04.45am-05.30am - Nick Hackett

05.30am-06.15am - Maria W

06.15am-07.00am - Phil Shields

CLOSE

SUNDAY - R&B ENCORE

07.00pm-08.00pm - Hoss

08.00pm-09.00pm - Roger Banks

09.00pm-10.00pm - Steve Tuck

10.00pm-11.00pm - Stan & Pete

11.00pm-12midnight - Kev Drage

12midnight-02.00am Roger, Hoss and Joe (The Sober Triplets)

CLOSE

THE HESITATIONS

Cleveland was a hot bed of action in the 1950's for doo-wop groups. Of course it helped that top DJ Alan Freed had launched his "Moondog Rock Roll House Party" on WJW-AM radio there in 1951, but the interest remained even though Freed himself relocated to New York in 1954. Harvey Fuqua moved to Cleveland in 1950 and formed a group there. By 1953, Alan Freed had started the Champagne label and he signed & recorded Harvey's group; the Crazy Sounds. He renamed them the Moonglows and by 1954 they were signed to Chess Records with whom they had seven national R&B chart hits over a four year period. The Hornets were another local outfit whose members included Johnny Moore and Bill Brent (Johnny Moore would go on to lead the Drifters for many years). Sonny Turner (later to be lead singer with the Platters) led the Metrotones and this group also included Leonard Veal, Robert Sheppard and Kim Tolliver (the later for just a short period). The Metrotones were a big influence on Edwin Starr whose group went by the similar name of the FutureTones. Other locally based groups included the Mascots (who became the O'Jays), LaSalles, Carousels, Annuals, Cashmeres, the El Pollos (George Scott being a member of this outfit), Fabulous Flames (whose members included Arthur Blakey and Harvey Hall), the Crown Imperials, Crescent's / Wigs (which all featured Arthur Blakey) and the Sahibs. The Sahibs had been formed at Rawlings Junior High School. At the time their original members included George Hendricks and William Carter. Other members (at various times) included Art Blakey, James Dotson and Lou Ragland. Edwin Starr always acknowledged the Sahib's as being the group that his FutureTones would have to strive to top on local live shows. Unfortunately record collectors will never know just how good the Sahibs were as the group had no interest in landing a record deal, being happy to just be one of the top live group draws in Cleveland.

As the 1960's progressed just about all of these doo-wop groups split up, but many of their members remained in the music business and joined new groups. Thus in 1965, the Hesitations were formed when Arthur Blakey (lead singer), Leonard Veal (lead singer), George 'King' Scott (the group's leader), Charles Scott & Robert Sheppard came together. Soon afterwards Phillip 'Frenchie' Dorroh (guitar) & Jimmy 'Frog' Voughn (base guitar) were recruited to join them. With just about everyone in the group being experienced in both performing and recording, they hit the ground running. In no time, they had landed a recording deal with New York based Kapp Records (via Jack Ashford and Gerard Purcell's GWP Associates) and were off to work in Detroit with the Pied Piper Productions team. The backing track sessions for their 'Soul Superman' album tracks were been laid down first, the group then adding their vocals to these. The likes of Ray Monette not only played guitar on the tracks (as did other Funk Brothers) but he also co-wrote two of the songs involved; "I'll Be Right There" (which he composed with Fred Baker) and "Soul Superman 2" (written in conjunction with Jack Ashford & Lorraine Chandler). In the studio, after being given the lyrics, the group listened to the backing tracks and then mapped out how to handle the vocal structure before singing each song in their own style. The first Kapp 45 to be released was "Soul Superman / I'm Not Built That Way" (Kapp #790) and this hit the shops in December 1966. The single entered the national R&B chart in mid January 1967, making the Top 50. In all, 8 tracks were lifted from the 'Soul Superman' album for single release with "She Won't Come Back / I'll Be Right There" (April 1967) being the 2nd best combination after the group's initial 45.

Kapp decided to team the group up with other producers for their next recording session, which was undertaken in the fall of 1967. So, in Chicago, with the likes of Larry Banks and Teacho Wiltshire the group started cutting the 12 tracks that would comprise their follow-up album. During this period though, tragedy struck the group. During a car journey back from a friend's wedding, the guys were handing a gun forward when it went off and George Scott suffered a gunshot wound to his temple that caused his death (George only got to sing on some of the cuts intended for the new album). Out of respect for George, the group decided to soldier on. In December, their new 45 was released; "Born Free / Love Is Everywhere" (Kapp 878). At the same time, they undertook tribute shows to honor George at local venues such as Gus' Show Bar on Superior Avenue. The group's distinctive take on the title song from the film "Born Free" took off straight away and after strong regional radio plays, the single entered the national R&B charts in January 1968. They were booked for a prestigious show at Harlem's Apollo Theatre, but were short of a replacement for George. Luckily an old friend, Bill Brent was in New York (in 1966 Bill had joined Johnny Moore in the Drifters and had participated on the group's "Baby What I Mean" recording session) and so he teamed up with them for the gig at the Apollo. Kapp had released the groups 'The New Born Free' album in February and this also sold well, making the R&B album chart Top 40. Bill Brent decided to quit the Drifters and take George's place in the Hesitations. As the group were now booked for a constant stint of live work, Wardell Taylor was recruited to join the ensemble as their drummer. By early March their 45 was # 4 on the Billboard R&B chart with just James Brown, the Impressions & Temptations outings keeping it from the top spot (it was also on the Top 40 pop chart).

Although many of the cuts on the 'The New Born Free' album were quality efforts (these included "Push A Little Harder", "I've Gotta Find Her" & "We Can Do It") and the LP was on the charts, none of the other tracks were really in the same style as "Born Free". As this cut had been such a big seller for them, another outing in a similar vein was required by Kapp to form the top side of the follow-up single. So "The Impossible Dream" (a mid 60's Broadway show tune) was selected and released on 45 in March 1968. This again made the R&B and pop charts and ensured that the group would enjoy an unbroken stint of 18 weeks (January 13th to May 18th) on the national R&B charts (by which time their "Climb Every Mountain" had also been released on 45). Two further 45's and two albums; 'Where We're At' (drummer Wardell Taylor is pictured on the cover of this) & 'Solid Gold' (replacement drummer Gary Jenkins is with the others in the photo featured on this cover) escaped on Kapp. Most of these tracks were recorded at RCA's Chicago studio under the supervision of Teacho Wiltshire, Larry Banks and Johnny Pate, though "Lady Madonna" (included on the 'Solid Gold' LP) was cut in New York. Their final effort to make the Top 40 R&B singles chart proved to be "Who Will Answer" in the summer of 1968. In November that year, the group undertook a two week long tour of US Military Bases in Germany and had big plans for touring in 1969, but GWP's relationship with Kapp was ending. After the break with Kapp had happened, the Hesitations started having releases on the newly formed GWP label itself and this marked a return to more soulful cuts. Initially, the group was used to help out Debbie Taylor on her recordings but in April 1969 they got their own GWP 45 release; "Yes I'm Ready / Is This The Way To Treat A Girl" (GWP #504). The first time the group worked in the studio with George Kerr things didn't go so well. George liked to control exactly how the track sounded and how it should be sung, but Art was used to going with his own feeling for a song. The two men just couldn't gel and the initial recording session broke up in disarray.

Luckily, Gerard Purcell knew what Art and the Hesitations were capable of (on a previous session they had cut 12 finished tracks in one night), so he got the group to return from Cleveland. With Art now given his head, the track was completed in one take. "Is This The Way .. " is a great cut that has gone on to find favor with record collectors around the world. The group's last single release was in June 69 when "No Brag Just Fact" was coupled with a duet cut with Debbie Taylor. GWP were losing interest in soul material though and so some of their artist's recordings were given scant attention. One case of this was the Hesitations cover of Aretha Franklin's song "Good To Me, As I Am To You". It doesn't usually make much sense to attempt a song already recorded by Aretha as it is very difficult to top any version she has made, but the group gave it their very best and succeed in adding a new dimension to the song. Even though the cut deserved a decent outing, all it managed was inclusion on a compilation album ('Soul Black & Beautiful Volume 2') that escaped in the early 70's. That was to be the end of the group's recording exploits and not long afterwards they broke up. However, they had recorded some tracks that failed to escape from the tape vaults at all. With many of their old Kapp cuts now being massive anthems on the Northern Soul scene, it was only natural that an enterprising soul reissue label would try to liberate these unissued tracks. After a number of years of patient negotiating, UK based Kent Records managed to do a deal with GWP and thus gain access to all the company's recorded material. Amongst a number of very fine tracks, the Hesitations "Gotta Find A Way" and "Go Away" were unearthed. Over the last couple of years, "Go Away" has become a much in-demand soul club track.

Jump forward to 2006: Art Blakey was asked by the Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to put the group back together to take part in a doo-wop group show at the venue. He initially tried contacting Leonard Veal and Charles Scott (who didn't want to sing anymore) before taking the decision to hire ex members of his old group, the Sahibs. The Hesitations now consisted of Art Blakey, George Hendricks, William Carter and James Dotson. It had been a long time since the guys had sung together and in that time, Art had become an active church member and had even cut a gospel CD. George Hendricks, after his stint in the Sahib's had become a member of Ann Bogan and The Challengers who were signed to Harvey Fuqua's Tri Phi label (1962). After serving in Viet Nam, he got back into the music business with Harvey (Hall) & the Phenomenals (Luau recording artists). In the 1970's, he joined Red Topp and the Young Family who recorded for Choker Campbell's Tri City label. Later in the 70's he teamed up with long time friend Lou Ragland to form the Chosen Few. By the early 90's he was in a gospel group called Rejoyce. Before being contacted by Art Blakey, George had already made a return to singing secular songs, this being something he had embarked on in the mid 90's. William (Cosmo) Carter gave up singing for a while after the Sahib's disbanded. But with the passage of time, he took up singing gospel. After a period with the Imperial Jubilees, he joined the True Believers and the Gospel Cousins (both included relatives). He remained with these ensembles until he got the call from Art to sing with the Hesitations.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame show went well and so the group decided to continue performing. As time passed, James Dotson became ill and so had to retire from the group. His place has been taken by Art's wife, Joyce Blakey. She comes from a family of singers and has been around music most of her life. She is the first female to actually be a member of the Hesitations, though in the late 60's they did sing a lot in conjunction with Debbie Taylor. More recently, they played the prestigious 'World Festival' show held in October 2009 at Cleveland's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and are now really looking forward to making their UK debut at Prestatyn. Its many years since they first sang together but they are more than determined to put on a great show in what will be their first ever direct experience of the incomparable world of Northern Soul.

John Poole looks forward to 2010 "Midnight Hour Northern and Modern Soul Weekender"

Last year's Northern Soul show was truly unforgettable, which begs the question, "How on Earth can we follow that!"

The first UK appearance of The Volumes who were sublime to say the least coupled with the performances of Lenis Guess, Bobby Paterson and Eula Cooper made it a breathtaking experience.

After what seems like a very short recovery period we set to work on creating the 2010 show, much coffee (and hard liquor! ed) were consumed and we are now extremely proud to be able to announce that making their very first UK appearance are the legendary Hesitations who will be performing their many northern classics.

Also we are pleased to welcome Kenny Hamber who will also be making his UK debut and extend a warm welcome back to these shores to Mary Love.

Whilst putting the show together we learned that Sidney Barnes had announced his retirement from live performances and we thought that an appearance at the Prestatyn Midnight Hour weekender would be a great way for him to say goodbye to his British fans in style. Luckily for us he agreed so be sure to show your appreciation to him for his contribution to this our beloved music scene.

As with our sister event, the LEGENDS weekender, we bring you 5 Arena's packed to the brim of soulful goodies

Arena 4 "Redemption" hosts 2 all nighters the first on Friday is our classic oldies all nighter with our usual residents.

The second is the Carl & Maria Willingham Rare Redemption all-nighter. Introduced at last years event this concept had a very warm reception from the fans of ultra rare soul. We are very pleased that Carl and Maria are once again working on the production of an area packed with extreme quality rare soul, with Carl's pick of some the countries top dj's and collectors providing the music.

Sunday evening will see Redemption host The R&B encore featuring Roger, Hoss, Joe and the gang through to the early hours of Monday morning.

Arena 5 The Queen Vic is the place where the party starts on Friday from 12.00 noon.

Soultown present their now infamous "welcome to the weekend" featuring all the Soultown residents and invited guest dj's who guarantee to bring you quality from start to finish

On Saturday evening the Queen Vic is the place to be if you want your fix of R&B and on the Sunday evening the Queen Vic plays out the weekend with another rare soul night for all you connoisseurs.

This is also the venue to get your fix of live football for the weekend

The now legendary Arena 1 hosts 2 all nighters featuring an unrivalled line up of the country's top dj's and is also the home of the Saturday Night show, the Midnight Hour Review.

Saturday afternoon is being turned over to the current crop from Manchester's Twisted Wheel and also guest dj's from abroad.

The weekend is brought to a close with an the Sunday all dayer starting at 12.00 noon through to around 3.00am on Monday.

Phew! So there you have it! 5 arenas packed to bursting with top sounds and legendary artists. 4 days of almost non stop dancing and to top it all you can rub shoulders with some of your favourite Northern Soul artists.

We are delighted to once again invite you to the, complimentary, Thursday night, pre-event party, so all those people, who book for the event, are welcome to join us, for the free soul night party, on the Thursday night. All accommodation will be available from 4.00pm, on Thursday 18th March 2010, with the arenas opening at 7.00pm.

Prestatyn 2010 promises to be a stormer, so, don't miss any of the action, call 0844 576 5949, to book your place. Prices start from just £49.00 per person, based on 6 people sharing a 2 bedroom Budget apartment.

See you at Prestatyn

John Poole

Edited by Carms

And to complete the set - ARENA'S 2 & 5 - posted from the the weekender website - https://www.soul-weekenders.co.uk

Prestatyn March 2010

ARENA 2 - MODERN SOUL

FRIDAY NIGHT

08.00pm-09.00pm - Colin Brown

09.00pm-10.00pm - Soul Intent

10.00pm-11.00pm - Jamie Taylor

11.00pm-12.00pm - Fish

12.00pm-12.20am William 'Smoke' Howard - PA

12.20am-01.30am KENNY BOBIEN & STEPHANIE COOKE

& The Black Masses Orchestra LIVE IN CONCERT.

01.30am-02.30am - Colin Curtis

02.30am-03.30am - Steve Hobbs

03.30am-04.30am - Bob Jones

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

01.00pm-06.00pm 'BOOMERANG' 70'S SOUL SPECIAL

Maria O, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn,

Cliff Steele & Dave Ripolles.

SATURDAY NIGHT

08.00pm-09.00pm - Soul Intent

09.00pm-10.00pm - Cliff Steele

10.00pm-11.00pm - Tats Taylor

11.00pm-12.00pm - Mick Farrer

12.00pm-01.00am - Mark Randle

01.00am-02.00am TORTURED SOUL - LIVE IN CONCERT.

02.00am-03.00am - Fish

03.00am-04.00am - Soul Sam

04.00am-05.00am - Ivor Jones

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

01.00pm-06.00pm 'MSC' (MODERN SOUL CLASSICS)

Louby, Steve Woomble,

Chris Box, Ricki Woollons & Fish.

SUNDAY NIGHT PARTY FINALE

08.00pm-10.00pm - Mick Farrer & Steve Hobbs

10.00pm-11.00pm - Jamie Taylor

11.00pm-12.30am - Mark Randle

12.30am-02.00am - Soul Sam

ARENA 5 - THE HOUSE OF SOUL

THURSDAY NIGHT

09.00pm-10.00pm Colin Brown

10.00pm-11.00pm Soul Intent

11.00pm-12.00pm Neil Self

12.00pm-01.00am Chris Dalton

01.00am-02.00am Mark Randle

FRIDAY AFTERNOON

Welcome To The Weekend With

The ''SOUL INTENT'' Collective

04.00pm-08.00pm Modern Soul 70's - New Release.

Geoff Burgess, Martin Smith

Keith Fox & Martin Lang

FRIDAY NIGHT

70's Connoisseurs, Crossover & Classics Session.

08.00pm-10.00pm Ivor Jones

10.00pm-11.30pm Cliff Steele

11.30pm-01.00am Dave Ripolles

01.00am-02.30am Soul Sam

02.30am-04.00am Tats Taylor

04.00am-05.00am Arthur Fenn

05.00am-06.00am Mick Farrer

SATURDAY AFTERNOON''

Jazz In The House'' - Jazz Dance Session.

02.00pm-03.30pm Geoff Burgess

03.30pm-05.00pm Colin Curtis

05.00pm-06.30pm Bob Jones

SATURDAY NIGHT

The Latest Soulful Dance & House Classics

with LIVE PERCUSSION from Glenn Worthington.

09.00pm-10.30pm Mark Randle

10.30pm-12.00pm Neil Rushton

12.00pm-01.30am Bob Jones

01.30am-03.00am Steve Hobbs

03.00am-04.30am Colin Curtis

04.30am-06.00am Jamie Taylor

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

''Kings Of Crossover'' - 70's Connoisseurs Session.

01.00pm-02.00pm Tats Taylor

02.00pm-03.00pm Ivor Jones

03.00pm-04.00pm Cliff Steele

04.00pm-05.00pm Arthur Fenn

05.00pm-06.30pm Soul Sam

Edited by S&M
Guest James Trouble

It doesn't look like I'll be able to make it in time for my set on Saturday as I have a day at the race track with my motor, and the gymkhana I'm taking part in won't finsh before 5pm. It's a good 4-5 hour drive from the track to Prestatyn. So I'm afraid I'll have to pull out.

Sorry.

JT

Edited by James Trouble

Me and Nicola will be leaving very soon (HURRY UP NICOLA) we are so looking forward to it,and its gonna be as good as all the others have been i can just feel it.Iv'e had me breakfast and ready to go.See all you lovely people about 2.30 pm Gilly and Nicola

Me and Nicola will be leaving very soon (HURRY UP NICOLA) we are so looking forward to it,and its gonna be as good as all the others have been i can just feel it.Iv'e had me breakfast and ready to go.See all you lovely people about 2.30 pm Gilly and Nicola

=-=========================================================================

Hiya mate me n Jane will be there around 13-30pm c-u in the big room around 14-30pm

xx Ian

:thumbup: ..at least there will be someone there who i can talk to....:laugh: .

got the radio slot sorted. 6 - 8.pm .Triple decking (yes triple) with SteveL and Deano.So you local lot,get tuned in and drop out,and see what you're missing.:D .

We'll be gentle with you,and may even play some Crossover :yes: .Oh, and a couple of tunes dedicated to Burnley.

Guest littlemissoul

NO more sleeps

finish work in 20 mins then I am off yes.gif

Have a safe journey all that are travelling and will see you all in Prestatyn thumbsup.gif

c.w. suite

revised line up

6.45-7.35 chic

7.35-8.25 dawn carman

8.25-9.15 phil threlfall

9.15-10.05 john weston

10.05-10.55 pete h

10.55- 11.45 ted massey

11.45-12.35 simon hunt

12.35-1.25 joan livesy

1.25-2.15 andy dyson

2.15-3.05 mick h

3.05-3.55 soul sam

3.55-4.45 maria w

4.45-5.35 phil shields

5.35-6.25 fred krol

6.25-7.15 nick hackett

Guest Ferrett

as part of the changes to events

every event (in an/ad forum) now only needs one thread

idea is the thread is used for all discussion on the event

when the event is over it gets moved to the lookbacks

Back home after just a single day of Prestatyn this year (due to work commitments). In fact, the Sunday evening session will just be kicking off as I type!!

We had to go along for at least the Saturday session though as one of all time favourite groups, the Hesitations, were performing.

I must say, all the live acts still had what it takes and were still hitting the high notes with ease. Highlights for me were Kenny Hamber doing 'Anything you want' and Hesitations doing 'That's what love is'. Love the red suits chaps!! The soul superman outfit was hilarious! See photos mentioned above.

Only down side for me was that the Hesitations didn't do 'Is this the way to treat a girl'. To be honest, the main reason I booked the tickets was to see them do this. Apparently the group don't like the song!! :ohmy: Gutted.

Anyway, Another Busy, Busy weekender. Everyone seemed to be having a wail of time. Hope the Sunday night is going well too.

Ferrett & Cystal tipps

Edited by Ferrett

We just did the Sat night too, same as last year but try to pack a weekend into the one day...:)

Got to the Redemption room for the kick off and Chic set the pace for a brilliant nite...loved your spot...:hatsoff2:

Over to the Queen Vic to watch the Rugby (enuf said)

The DJ who was on in there whilst we watched played some nice R&B and a touch of ska - loved hearing Newports - Dixie Woman.

The Redemption by this time was mega busy but with the "we can try to have the loudest sound, even if it distorts" thumping from the other room, I needed to get away to give my head some peace.

Even in the ladies toilet, there was no escape.

I heard a few tunes coming from there that I like but because it was over loud and distorting, it was unpleasant to hear. This room seams to have a very self important and rude attitude towards the rest of what's going on in the whole complex. I pitied the sellers that were placed outside there.

We came back by 2am and found if we sat right next to the speaker, we didn't notice the thumping too much...:rolleyes:

The night for me by this time just got better and better...I arrived as Mick H was playing, got myself settled in and when Joan came on she got me on the floor and I didn't wanna come off.

Simon Hunt was on next and carried on in the same vein. By this time I'd changed my leg muscles for jelly and my feet were that sore, I thought they must have been bleeding but Phil Shields came next, so I had to keep going, altho not to everyone as I would have liked.

By 5am my seat was the only place I could move to the music but still buzzed on all the tunes, right to the very end.

Thank you yet again, Carl and Maria, I had a ball...:thumbsup:

PS, I liked the dancefloor much better when it was dark and dingy, just how it should be...:yes:

and I quite like the personality the temporary floor has in there...wink.gif

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Guest Mrs Simsy

We went on the strength of the Hesitations too & i thought they were fab.:D Did see on flyers/posters that it was the original line up playing & it wasn't the original line up on that stage last night. Only a small point as i really enjoyed all of the live acts, just thought that it shouldn't have been advertised as original line up.

Anyway;

On Thursday night we decided very last minute to go to Prestatyn for the first time ever. Got tickets sorted (thanks to lovely soul folk) & arrived about 9.00pm after a 4.5 hour journey. Had a quick spruce up in Jo & Phils chalet & wandered over to the venue. Loved the redemption room, dancefloor a bit bumpy but i've danced on worse!:) The only thing that marred it a bit was the 'soulful house' room. It seemed that they just turned the volume up...and up...and up until you could hear thumpy bass over every song!:thumbsup:

Had a nose in the modern room, didn't stay long!laugh.gif Thats just my personal tastes. The room was rammed so i certainly don't speak for anyone else.

Spent quite a bit of time in the main room though this was primarily to get away from the 'thump, thump, thump' coming from the soul house room.:rolleyes: Must say that the atmosphere was great.:D Stood at the back for a while just watching & counted myself lucky to be apart of this scene.:D

Had never seen Tim Brown DJ before & i thought he was great, danced to most of his set. Didn't really hear many of the other DJs as was enjoying wandering around & chatting to people. Did hear Mick H play a blinder though!:hatsoff2:

Due to having worked yesterday then a traumatic drive up (:lol:) i was a spent force by about 4am & had to bail out for fear of falling asleep on the way home!:yes:

So to summerise i had a great time overall though i think that the redemption room deserves a bigger home with a better dancefloor & the soul house room needs a room with a door that can be closed!:lol: All imo of course!:D

Know that the promotors, back of house guys & the DJs all must work hard to keep everyone happy & get everything organised so must say a big thank you to them for a most enjoyable evening.:)

last minute .com I decided to go over nite thanks to Sian getting me a wrist band, big thankyou, I ain't been for quite a few years, but I really enjoyed me self, and with Ted Massey picking me up and bringing me home,which was very much appreciated Ted thank you, it also gave me the opportunity to catch up with me hubby , someone said we are like ships that pass in the nite, and we should have some sort of homing device fitted!!

we got there to catch Chic's outstanding spot in the redemption room, which I liked very much, and yes. something needs to be done about that thumping sound from next door,as its encroaching onto the music there, I did go mainly to hear the Hesitations and I have to say despite the superman outfit, they were totally amazing.

having not been for a long time I was really quite impressed with the whole setup, very professional, and a lot of hard work , so very well done, :rolleyes: wished I could have stayed longer and took more in, and more DJ,s, maybe next year we will have to see, two things :never seen Dave Rimmer that drunk sat in all my life : :thumbsup: and never again will I look at Martyn and Ted in the same light again, when we stopped on the way home so they could have a jimmy wiggle, :hatsoff2: I just looked at the constalations in the sky :yes:

WHAT A BRILLIANT WEEKEND thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

We arrived Thursday lunchtime around 1 , o,clock and spent the first few hours watching the artist go thro their warm up ready for the show on Sat nite

By the time Thurs nite arrived there where over 1000 soulies in the big room having a great time by the look of it i dj,d from 11-30 until 00-30

doubling up with Dave Rivers and enjoyed every minute off it over the years the Thurs warm up as got better n better with more turning up every year

Friday spent time catching up with friends spent time talking with the legendary Sidney Barnes what a brilliant guy Sid is nothing was too much trouble

for all the artist appearing at Prestatyn they spent all weekend talking , signing and generally having a great time with the people at the weekender.

Spent Fri in the Queen Vic with the SOULTOWN DJ,s heard some brilliant music Andy McCabe put a lot of hard work into arranging the dj,s for thurs & Fri

and along with John Poole, Mark Randle, Bernie O,Brian and the rest of the Midnite Hour crew they deserve a MASSIVE pat on the back for bringing us this 9th

weekender..

Saturday spent watching the final warm up from the Hesitations, Kenny Hamber, Sid Barnes and the lovely Mary Love...then had a few hours kip before

moving into Carl & Marias Redemption with my good buddy Phil Threfall making his debut brilliant spot mate and the music all nite was of the highest order played by some of the scenes best DJ,S and all round nice people.. Moved into the main Hall to see what myself and Jane had been looking forward too so much and boy where we glad we came a show of the highest order brilliant from all the Artist Mary Love just blew us away very soulful very loving , Sid, Kenny what talent brilliant guys, Hesitations where really good and when the lead singer went off half way thro the act i wondered what was going on WOW

when he appeared later with the SUPERMAN suit on to the strains of SOUL SUPERMAN well what can i say BRILLIANT TOP SHOW !!!

A massive thumps up to the MID-NITE HOUR BAND & BACKING Singers who put a lot of hard work into the show and did,nt let us down they where GREAT !!!

Surprise of the nite was when Mark Hanson came to me during the show and said i want you to meet someone he took me to the side of the stage to meet one of my fav artist Ronnie McNeir blimey the shock on my face could,nt believe it what a nice bloke Ronnie is and he was introduced to the crowd at the final of the show to a tremendous applause.................

All in All another BRILLIANT Weekend spent in the company of lovely people and in the Company of the people who brought us the fantastic music in the first place Sidney Barnes, Kenny Hamber, Mary Love , The Hesitations all the Artist who appeared in the Modern Room, Kenny Bobien, Stephanie Cooke, Tortured Soul,and the Brill William Howard WELL DONE TO YOU ALL and thanks from the bottom of my heart for the Weekend your beautiful and loving people...

Massive Thanks to all the Staff at PONTINS who made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived Thurs really friendly and helpful .

WELL DONE TO JOHN POOLE, MARK RANDLE, FISH , BERNIE O,BRIAN & THE REST OF THE WEEKENDER CREW FOR ANOTHER TOP WEEKENDER

ROLL ON NEXT YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Peace & Happiness

Ian Cunliffe & Jane Hamilton

xxx

Edited by IANCSLOFT

We went on the strength of the Hesitations too & i thought they were fab.:D Did see on flyers/posters that it was the original line up playing & it wasn't the original line up on that stage last night. Only a small point as i really enjoyed all of the live acts, just thought that it shouldn't have been advertised as original line up.

Anyway;

On Thursday night we decided very last minute to go to Prestatyn for the first time ever. Got tickets sorted (thanks to lovely soul folk) & arrived about 9.00pm after a 4.5 hour journey. Had a quick spruce up in Jo & Phils chalet & wandered over to the venue. Loved the redemption room, dancefloor a bit bumpy but i've danced on worse!:lol: The only thing that marred it a bit was the 'soulful house' room. It seemed that they just turned the volume up...and up...and up until you could hear thumpy bass over every song!ph34r.gif

Had a nose in the modern room, didn't stay long!:lol: Thats just my personal tastes. The room was rammed so i certainly don't speak for anyone else.

Spent quite a bit of time in the main room though this was primarily to get away from the 'thump, thump, thump' coming from the soul house room.:hypo: Must say that the atmosphere was great.:D Stood at the back for a while just watching & counted myself lucky to be apart of this scene.:D

Had never seen Tim Brown DJ before & i thought he was great, danced to most of his set. Didn't really hear many of the other DJs as was enjoying wandering around & chatting to people. Did hear Mick H play a blinder though!:P

Due to having worked yesterday then a traumatic drive up (:lol:) i was a spent force by about 4am & had to bail out for fear of falling asleep on the way home!ph34r.gif

So to summerise i had a great time overall though i think that the redemption room deserves a bigger home with a better dancefloor & the soul house room needs a room with a door that can be closed!:lol: All imo of course!:D

Know that the promotors, back of house guys & the DJs all must work hard to keep everyone happy & get everything organised so must say a big thank you to them for a most enjoyable evening.:)

Yep that about sums it up, well said my dear.

Live acts were great. Tim Brown in the main room was the pick of the bunch for me. Smell of those hotdogs was outta sight!:lol:

Great to see all our pals. Thanks to Idel for her help with the tickets. Big massive thanks to Sian, Colin, Shirley & Derek for coming through for us and big thanks to the organisers & DJ's for making the 500 mile round trip for a Saturday night dance worth it! :thumbsup:

Lord knows why I have never done Prestatyn before?

Well I got my cherry popped this weekend and boy was it brilliant!

The facilities were spot on, and from walking in it was like entering Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, you just didn't know were to start!

Every one seamed to be there from the nighter scene but there where loads of new faces which is testament to the quality of this event.

I have already heard mention of the music from the Redemption tent bleeding out into some of the other rooms but I loved it! I think it added to the mix and just kept up the carnival atmosphere making this an event of worth and certainly etched into your memory which is no easy thing considering the amount of brain cells I no doubt destroyed at Prestatyn.

To the organizer, kudos to you! It was like a Northernsoul Woodstock! So many different layers and flavors going on in different segments it was like a delicious trifle with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top!

I started off in the main room's record bar trying my best to act as sensible as I could whilst talking bollox to the various faces on the scene, the main room was oldies and the meat and spuds Northernsoul that every one cut their teeth on and love so very much. There were spins n high kicks, backdrops and stomping! Smiling faces every were singing along and enjoying a celebration of Northernsoul.

I could have stayed all weekend in the main room but there was just so much on offer and it seamed that every taste was catered for in a thoughtful and sensitive way. The Redemption tent was full on "ave it" dance music with the emphasis on going mental chicken oriental and as soon as you entered the tent it was like diving into a very fast flowing river that just took you along with the power, mega room and just a joy to have it large with the beautiful 24 hour party people!

Swing my snake like hips into the Maria and Carl room it was like walking into a high class restaurant where the quality line and clientele had been strained through a silk napkin, the privilege of hearing such magnificent soul music played by and danced to by some of the nations most dedicated and passionate people was a pleasure, it was like an oasis within the cazbar, you just knew that if you where to hear the next big thing it was going to be in here and the feeling of being part of some thing quite original and vibrant was intoxicating.

Forcing my self out of this heady room I wandered into the Modern room where the lovers of all things funky n new had gathered to worship the soul gods who promised to deliver their voodoo. It was great to hear a blended cocktail of Modern new sounds and the anthems that have now embedded themselves well and truly into our Northern souls. I love Moderns soul and I love modern Soulies coz they refuse to fit any preconceived picture of who they are supposed to be. The Modern room was electric, I gorged my self like the little fat pig I am on the music that makes me wanna swing my hips to! Brilliant music, superb atmosphere and some right decent totty as well! Who could ask for more!

I suppose the litmus test for any event like this is whether or not you are looking forward to the next one or whether you had a good time but you don't necessarily need to go back next year, well I am a true convert of Prestatyn and like I said my only regret is not goin before.

Thank you to all involved in this event it was the dogs bollox!

Had a brilliant time once again

Was a quieter than usual on Fri night however Sat was buzzing.

Stayed up till 6am to see Dave E on Fri even though he wasn't on!!! rolleyes.gifohmy.gifrolleyes.gif

Also lovely to see you Julie

Spent time in every room this year and loved the Midnight Hour acts (fantastic)

Tortured Soul totally impressed me in the Modern Room

Roll on next year - 10th anniversary

Enjoyed it again.Thanks to JPoole for letting us loose on the radio on Friday.biggrin.gif .Did think numbers were down a little Friday afternoon,but seemed to pick up by Saturday.

Top old nite in Redemption,but still the same problem from the funky mob next door.I guess they have better equipment in the bass area.Cranking it up in Redemption only antagonised them morebiggrin.gif .Great to meet up with like minded people.Too many to mention.

Nice to meet Dave Abbot's partner.I'm still not Cliff Steele,but didn't have the heart to tell her straightaway.laugh.gif

Thanks also to SteveL for the words of wisdom on the way home.The Big bang Theory,The Crusades,Time travel,Ghosts and UFO's all worthy subjects.

Down side was the smell in the Modern room.Like someone had washed a labrador.Not as tho i spent much time in there.

Source Advert