Allnighter Issues

Mike

recent 100 club thread was closed by the promoter for the reasons he posted

one general issue that was being discussed was all round current allnighter state of affairs

a few points were made and the follow on discussion was interesting

as thread was closed opening this , in case anyone wishes to continue the general state of affairs discussion

Social source share

• Replies 372
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I keep hearing and reading that we are in melt down , we are all doomed and the Northernsoul scene is disintegrating with Nighters and Soul Nights closing.

I may be thicker than a whale omelet here but as far as I can see as a punter, we have never had it so good?

The Nighter crowd all seam to be in attendance when the right vibe is found and as far as numbers are concerned I see no thinning when a decent venue is on offer?

Soul Nights, I went to the South Yorkshire Soul Night Out Keep moat Stadium, Doncaster and had a cracking time.

Is there a real problem? Is it just the smaller local promoters who are struggling?

Is this due to over saturation?

I know we all like to moan about different tunes, I am having the time of my life at the moment.

Great people, passionate promoters and real choice.

Have we really got a problem?

Social source share

I keep hearing and reading that we are in melt down , we are all doomed and the Northernsoul scene is disintegrating with Nighters and Soul Nights closing.

I may be thicker than a whale omelet here but as far as I can see as a punter, we have never had it so good?

The Nighter crowd all seam to be in attendance when the right vibe is found and as far as numbers are concerned I see no thinning when a decent venue is on offer?

Soul Nights, I went to the South Yorkshire Soul Night Out Keep moat Stadium, Doncaster and had a cracking time.

Is there a real problem? Is it just the smaller local promoters who are struggling?

I know we all like to moan about different tunes, I am having the time of my life at the moment.

Simon

We bump into each other on a regular basis & you are right that soulies have never had such a choice of venues to attend but that is the problem for me,especially nighters??? Ten years or so back there were fewer nighters that were playing the more upfront stuff the 100 club & Wilton spring to mind with others popping up here & there but didn't for whatever reason last the long haul but now there's plenty playing forwad think tunes so dividing the nighter crowd that is shrinking anyway so making it difficult for some nighters to get the right numbers in, this then causes the problems of finance,atmoshere etc. I know this is the way of the world & is the way it's always been & the fittest will survive. Been a passionate promoter putting great line-up's on at top venues doesn't mean succes these days. I'd love to say I've got the answer but I haven't,the only thing I can see solving the problem is fewer venues there by bringing little pockets of soulies together by virtue of the fact there is less places to go.You've only got to look on the events page on here to see how many soul nights/nighters/weekenders there are on each weekend to see that we are at saturation level............on a personal front I rarely get those nights were all the usal suspects meet up at one night.I have to choose were to go each weekend as there's some night with these dj's on I want to hear or some of mates are going to another night at a certain venue I want to go to,some weekends I want to go 3 "do's" on a Friday & 4 on the Saturday so have to choose one or two so miss out on meeting up with some mates or miss out on hearing some tunes I wanted to hear??? As I say I haven't any answers I just find it a pity that I think in the not too distant future we will start losing venues but I think in the long run that might for the good of the scene...........but I could be completely wrong I usually am ask Lynn. :hatsoff2:

Cheers

Martyn

PS Oh and forgot in amogst all that I've a life to fit in:whistling:

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

It is not the amount of nighters that cause the real problem, its the weekenders as well. There have been at least 3 weekenders the last few weeks, two more to come in the next two weeks and the best of the lot Cleethorpes just a few weeks away.

Promoters don't work together and too many put self interest ahead of the bigger picture and very few put the greater good of the scene first. Others do nothing but slag off the scene cause they don't get their way. All this combined is slowly killing the scene. There are not enough punters to go round the plethora of venues that can be found on any given weekend, the amount of youngsters coming onto the scene is negligible and having no real impact, especially on the all-nighter scene.

All this combined with the cost of actually getting to a venue which can amount to a three figure sum for a night out, family life, work, the actual age of the average soulie it is inevitable that something is going to suffer. More and more fail to stay until the end of the night at many venues. Everyone is suffering to some capacity and this is having a big effect on the scene in general and I fear it is too late to do anything about it and besides I don't think some want to do anything about, happy to exist in their own little scene.

Social source share

Nice post Chalky.

Exactly as we discussed last night.

I've got no answers either.

I try and choose what events I go to with as much thought as I can.

DJ line up, music policy, cost, distance etc , as I'm sure most others do as well.

But when you have so many events on every weekend it's inevitable that the numbers attending each one will be diluted.

I don't necessarily agree it's too late though.

But it does need promoters especially to work together.

Whats the point having 2 events of a similar nature within a few miles of each other on the same night.

Surely a joint promotion would be beneficial for everyone, promoters and attendees alike.

I suspect this issue will never go away but its still a shame.

It is not the amount of nighters that cause the real problem, its the weekenders as well. There have been at least 3 weekenders the last few weeks, two more to come in the next two weeks and the best of the lot Cleethorpes just a few weeks away.

Promoters don't work together and too many put self interest ahead of the bigger picture and very few put the greater good of the scene first. Others do nothing but slag off the scene cause they don't get their way. All this combined is slowly killing the scene. There are not enough punters to go round the plethora of venues that can be found on any given weekend, the amount of youngsters coming onto the scene is negligible and having no real impact, especially on the all-nighter scene.

All this combined with the cost of actually getting to a venue which can amount to a three figure sum for a night out, family life, work, the actual age of the average soulie it is inevitable that something is going to suffer. Ore and more fail to stay until the end of the night at many venues. Everyone is suffering to some capacity and this is having a big effect on the scene in general and I fear it is too late to do anything about it and besides I don't think some want to do anything about, happy to exist in their own little scene.

Social source share

All this combined with the cost of actually getting to a venue which can amount to a three figure sum for a night out, family life, work, the actual age of the average soulie it is inevitable that something is going to suffer. More and more fail to stay until the end of the night at many venues. Everyone is suffering to some capacity and this is having a big effect on the scene in general and I fear it is too late to do anything about it and besides I don't think some want to do anything about, happy to exist in their own little scene.

Young Chalky

I think that's what I as trying to say but you put far better then me...........as usual.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest cheryl

I also think the thing with niters is we are all not getting any younger, I have not been to aniter in over a year purely because i'm absolutly knackered for a couple of days afterwards, then there is the cost its not too bad if there is a few of you and are sharing the cost of fuel, and as already said there is an awful lot of soulnights on every weekend as well as the weekenders and for those that attend soul in the sun, and with the economic climate at the moment people just can't afford to go to them all! as for soul nites clashing in local areas, I promote a bi-monthly soul nite with my partner and before we booked our dates we had a look on here to see what was on so we didnt clash with other venues, once upon a time you could do that but because there are so many soul nites out there now it has become really difficult not to clash so in some cases you just cant help it if there are a couple of dos on in 1 area on the same night.

Social source share

I promote a bi-monthly soul nite with my partner and before we booked our dates we had a look on here to see what was on so we didnt clash with other venues, once upon a time you could do that but because there are so many soul nites out there now it has become really difficult not to clash so in some cases you just cant help it if there are a couple of dos on in 1 area on the same night.

this is what puzzles me, if there are a couple of venues already being promoted in any particular area why put another on?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

this is what puzzles me, if there are a couple of venues already being promoted in any particular area why put another on?

now this is the question .... surely the only excuse for starting a new night is if musically you're going to offer something no one else in the area does

Social source share

Guest cheryl

The night we run is a long standing soul night and indeed the venue used to hold niters, we had ours last night and unfortunately we clashed with 2 others in the area 1 thats been going a while and 1 that is only the second time being held, ours is slightly different as we cater for both the oldies crowd and also those who like to listen to something different, and the other 2 venues cater mainly for the oldies crowd

Social source share

The night we run is a long standing soul night and indeed the venue used to hold niters, we had ours last night and unfortunately we clashed with 2 others in the area 1 thats been going a while and 1 that is only the second time being held, ours is slightly different as we cater for both the oldies crowd and also those who like to listen to something different, and the other 2 venues cater mainly for the oldies crowd

Don't get me wrong, not having a go at you, just promoters in general, it is happening all over the country. Personally think it is crazy to have three promotions in the same area on the same night whatever the music policy. This is where promoters should be working together.

Social source share

Cheryl,

I keep reading your post and trying as I am, I can't make out what you are trying to say?

Sorry in advance but can you clear up a few things for me, where is this area where there are three clashing soul nights?

Are you the promoter of one that is clashing?

Do you take any responsibility for the clash?

Are you talking to the other promoters?

At what point do you promoters put the good and benefit of The Northernsoul Scene before making a profit, is it free to get in?

If its not profit driven then what on earth motivates you all to have three venues going off all on the same night, isn't this madness?

Do you as a promoter work on the first come first served basis?

I know this will sound inflammatory, I'm just trying to get my head around three do's clashing in the same area?

We all keep reading comments about how much this is hurting the Northernsoul scene, what are your comments as a promoter of one of three clashing venues?

Who are you competing with, how far away are these do's geographically to yours.

Couldn't you have all sorted out alternative dates or are you all just totally fingers up at the punters?

I know clashes are often unforeseen and some times unavoidable?

Can you please convince me that you lot aren't all just greedy fookers trying to screw us soul fans out of our hard earned dosh?

Cheryl, we haven't met, I bear you personally no ill feeling but you have added this post on this forum, I would like to expand on this subject caring little to nothing if a promoter feels bruised, I suppose that just like you lot looking at it purely from a business angle?

I'm passionate about our scene and I just want to understand the promoter's motives and futre intentions.

Social source share

Guest cheryl

I agree with you, it could may well be that each promoter believes that they are hopefully bringing something different with their venue, and what a lot of people dont realise is that a lot of hard work goes into putting on an event as you well know, I also think 1 of the reasons why promoters dont put their heads together is that each and everyone of them have their own idea as to how to run a do and what djs they want to hear so it would probably end up with a lot of in house arguments, as for young people coming on to the scene i'm all for it, its nice to see peoples faces when they hear a tune for the first time and the enjoyment they get from it, but as a mother of an 18 year old some think its for old folks, which is a shame

Social source share

Guest cheryl

Cheryl,

I keep reading your post and trying as I am, I can't make out what you are trying to say?

Sorry in advance but can you clear up a few things for me, where is this area where there are three clashing soul nights?

At what point do you promoters put the good and benefit of The Northernsoul Scene before making a profit, is it free to get in?

If its not profit driven then what on earth motivates you all to have three venues going off all on the same night, isn't this madness?

I know this will sound inflammatory, I'm just trying to get my head around three do's clashing in the same area?

We all keep reading comments about how much this is hurting the Northernsoul scene, what are your comments as a promoter of one of three clashing venues?

Who are you competing with, how far away are these do's geographically to yours.

Couldn't you have all sorted out alternative dates or are you all just totally fingers up at the punters?

Can you please convince me that you lot aren't all just greedy fookers trying to screw us soul fans out of our hard earned dosh?

Cheryl, we haven't met, I bear you personally no ill feeling but you have added this post on this forum, I would like to expand on this subject caring little to nothing if a promoter feels bruised, I suppose that just like you lot looking at it purely from a business angle?

I'm passionate about our scene and I just want to understand the promoter's motives and futre intentions.

Hi well I am certainly passionate about the scene, I attended my first allnighter at the age of 13, I snuck in and got caught 3 times. I can't speak for the other promoters that had events on last night, however 1 of the venues that is on the promoter of that venue is guest dj at our next do, unfortunately we did not know until wednesday evening that his night was on at the same time as us. our do is in the doncaster area as you know the keepmoat was on last night, when we booked our dates this was not up and running so we couldnt help that, the other venue does not advertise on ss.

I certainly aint in it for the money, we spent £300 on equipment for last night, and we made enough money to pay the djs.

I love to dance and I love to travel to other venues as I have done since the age of 16, and I certainly do not sick two fingers up at the people who attend soul nights. I try to get good djs that will play what people want to hear. The reason behind having 2 rooms is so that people have a choice of what they would like to listen to.

I think their is far too much fighting and bickering within the scene today, its a shame as I feel its making a split crowd and there is far too much politics within the scene, which I do not like to get involved with.

As for my intentions as a promoter I intend to carry on promoting our venue on a bi monthly basis as I love the music and the people

Social source share

Hi well I am certainly passionate about the scene, I attended my first allnighter at the age of 13, I snuck in and got caught 3 times. I can't speak for I think their is far too much fighting and bickering within the scene today, its a shame as I feel its making a split crowd and there is far too much politics within the scene, which I do not like to get involved with.As for my intentions as a promoter I intend to carry on promoting our venue on a bi monthly basis as I love the music and the people

The fighting, bickering and politics has always been there and always will be. What is splitting the crowd is not the politics but three venues in the same area on one particular night, not saying who is right or wrong, who should be promoting or who shouldn't, just the simple fact that there are three venues and not enough punters to go round.

Social source share

Nice post Chalky.

Exactly as we discussed last night.

I've got no answers either.

I try and choose what events I go to with as much thought as I can.

DJ line up, music policy, cost, distance etc , as I'm sure most others do as well.

But when you have so many events on every weekend it's inevitable that the numbers attending each one will be diluted.

I don't necessarily agree it's too late though.

But it does need promoters especially to work together.

Whats the point having 2 events of a similar nature within a few miles of each other on the same night.

Surely a joint promotion would be beneficial for everyone, promoters and attendees alike.

I suspect this issue will never go away but its still a shame.

By no means a standalone solution, and more as part of a 'wider' working plan.. Herein lies an extremely critical point (IMO).. An imperative, forward-moving and natural, progression. One necessary for the short to mid-term success, future, and direction of our much revered Soul Music scene !!

But one I couldn't see happening very easily across the country.. no.gif

Sadly, I personally feel - and mainly down to 'ego's' and an unspoken 'I Am..' attitude (not daring to vocalise it !! It kept purely as a private thought..) - what should, and is in essence a relatively simplistic goal to achieve, would prove indefinitely hindered due to the attitudes & feelings of self-importance I bet would be found amongst several (the majority, perhaps ??) of the component individuals concerned. Obviously it goes without question that it would be absolutely necessary to gain full agreement, participation & input from ALL of the key individuals that would be involved in such collaborations.

To me, a future where promotions (once individual & separate) 'work together', is just so obviously necessary.. A 'No Fail' requisite (and 'No Brainer'..) before any hope of a smooth transition to the successful completion & integration of the relevant clubs/promotions could even begin to be achieved.. But - very importantly - an integral ingredient for achieving correct focus on the future long-term longevity of our Soul Music scene !!

Them's my sentiments, anyways..

Fingers ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest 1STFRIEARL

Cheryl,

hi simon

i run the empress with cheryl i talk to both promtors and we get on fine no problems there. Money does not drive my ambition to promote.

I would be willing to meet you some time to disscus this issue. One answer may be to do what happened on the scooter scene and form an alliance as you are well aware of.

Do you still live in swinton as i live in conisbrough so to meet up and disscus this issue would be no problem

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The fighting, bickering and politics has always been there and always will be. What is splitting the crowd is not the politics but three venues in the same area on one particular night, not saying who is right or wrong, who should be promoting or who shouldn't, just the simple fact that there are three venues and not enough punters to go round.

Chalky.......a major problem is the" l ain,t going out unless i,m djing or it,s my do". Lost count of the venues that i,ve been to where there are loads of flyers for other venues that have been put there by the other promoters mates (the promoter can,t even be bothered to do it themselves).However a lot of these do's are no better than middle aged knees ups and don,t have an impact on the real scene because should these places shut their punters and dj,s/promoters would simply NOT GO OUT. The area l live in almost every venue is just that (their own little goldfish soul) they have no interest in the music because it,s beyond them to just GO AND ENJOY..........the nighter scene is fine.......we just have to continually ward off that devil called...complacency......atb peggy babcock

Social source share

So they can be a dj for a nightthumbsup.gif

hope you all dont mind me chipping in at this juncture, but THIS QUOTE has a lot to do with it as well....more and more gigs because more people want to dj and what really angers me is, that degenerates into an absurd number of "resident jocks....so the vicious circle continues....you cant get a spot for love nor money because the one's who were there first are sucking up to each other so you say "ill show you lot" and you start a night yourself.....so you CAN dj.

of course, there are also promotors who ARE fair and give lots of people a chance and BECAUSE of this the quality of the playlists are GREATER and MORE VARIABLE....( when i say "greater", i mean bigger...it dosnt necessarily follow that the tunes are great). it seems to me at the moment that a lot of these "residencies" are at oldies nights and perhaps, a common excuse for that is that they djs/promotors have tried adventurous playlists and were recieved somewhat lukewarmly, MAYBE THEY SIMPLY DIDNT TRY HARD ENOUGH but a proportion of soulies will simply not except advancement, citing that the quality of those hammered oldies still ring truer than even whats being played by sam, butch, mick.h,adey,arthur fenn etc. of course i cant agree with that and i would be in the majority who believe we have to keep moving forward....we might not be garnering the numbers of young recipients of our culture as quickly as we did, say, 20 years ago but in the meantime, europe has woken up to this scene and added a whole new dimension to this now global phenomenon.

the calender is massive and there is so much choice, more dayers, nighters, weekenders, soul holidays, scootere rallies even. there are more promotors and more people who want to dj...weve never been so spoilt, yet there is also a lot of selfishness akin to the cameraderie...everybody wants a piece of the pie and a lot are prepared to forego proffit just to say "they have a soul night". so inevitably there are clashes and the punters are being spread even thinner, confused by whats going on.

there has to come a point where there is some parity. for a start, some promotors and djs should stop closing ranks, adopting like a white collar attitude...if your face dont fit or we dont like you, youll not dj here, oh yes we'll take your money off you but you'll not get a gig....i firmly believe thats ONE of the reasons that the scene is snowed under with gigs...if the policy persued at prestwich by terry davies had been used as a benchmark by others some 10 years ago then we could all be scratching each others backs quite amicably and there wouldnt be a need for having so many gigs, everyone would get a chance to dj and we would all be doing it regularly weather for pay or just for the privalage...afterall, there are so many people spending hard earned money on records in the hope someone will give them a chance...as it stands at present for a lot of them its forelorn hence,.....vicious circle.

funnily enough, ive vented my frustration elsewhere here that my county has a total lack of enterprise, perhaps, some of you frustrated promotors and djs should take a look here to see what you can put on...at least it wont clash and if you struggle for punters you can always round up a herd of sheep...shropshire is a BIG county.

rob,h

Social source share

Chalky.......a major problem is the" l ain,t going out unless i,m djing or it,s my do". Lost count of the venues that i,ve been to where there are loads of flyers for other venues that have been put there by the other promoters mates (the promoter can,t even be bothered to do it themselves).However a lot of these do's are no better than middle aged knees ups and don,t have an impact on the real scene because should these places shut their punters and dj,s/promoters would simply NOT GO OUT. The area l live in almost every venue is just that (their own little goldfish soul) they have no interest in the music because it,s beyond them to just GO AND ENJOY..........the nighter scene is fine.......we just have to continually ward off that devil called...complacency......atb peggy babcock

Darcyboy,

Me and you have very same opinionsthumbsup.gif

A lot pub disco's soul nights,are knocking shops,and how many pints you can drink.

Its many years since ive been to a soul disco at a pub,it used to make me grind my teeth,and could'nt wait to get home.

The driving force is the nighter scene.

Lifeline,and the like.

Kevinnocent.gif

Social source share

I also think the thing with niters is we are all not getting any younger, I have not been to aniter in over a year purely because i'm absolutly knackered for a couple of days afterwards, then there is the cost its not too bad if there is a few of you and are sharing the cost of fuel, and as already said there is an awful lot of soulnights on every weekend as well as the weekenders and for those that attend soul in the sun, and with the economic climate at the moment people just can't afford to go to them all! as for soul nites clashing in local areas, I promote a bi-monthly soul nite with my partner and before we booked our dates we had a look on here to see what was on so we didnt clash with other venues, once upon a time you could do that but because there are so many soul nites out there now it has become really difficult not to clash so in some cases you just cant help it if there are a couple of dos on in 1 area on the same night.

next sunday (may bank hol) there are two all dayers and a 'big' evening event , all within a stones throw from each other. where will they all choose to go? lets just hope there are enough punters' to go round.

seems to me that sometimes there is an over abundance of venues to choose from. good or bad? i dunno

Social source share

next sunday (may bank hol) there are two all dayers and a 'big' evening event , all within a stones throw from each other. where will they all choose to go? lets just hope there are enough punters' to go round.

seems to me that sometimes there is an over abundance of venues to choose from. good or bad? i dunno

Where are they then? And non are all nighters.

Social source share

Isn't that snippets from The Doomsday Book? yes.giflaugh.gif

Frank Elson is big on the Northern Nostradamus scene.These are snippets from the oh holy scriptures of Northern Soulus and pray to keep the faith and a pilgrimage to the Blackpool Mecca.......

post-18577-12722344408793.jpg

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Next weekend there are 3 weekenders to choose from, Bamberg Dublin & Newquay.

4 Allniters on Soul Source are there any more?

Countless soul nights including Solid Hit Soul in London (apologies for shameless plughatsoff2.gif )

It amazes me, surely half the venues will be half full/empty ?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

January 16th 1978.Frank Elson Blues and Soul.............we could be talking about April 2010

I think Frank is just good at stating the bleedin' obvious to be honest. True in the 80s, 90s, pick a year...

Social source share

to some extent I can agree with you about the first part of your post, but think you have a jaundiced view about the soulnight scene , dont do allnighters for various reasons , but attend soul nights local and not so local every w/end and yes I am middle aged and so are most of the punters , but to say we are not interested in the music is a bit of a sweeping statement and a slur on the many hundreds if not thousands of punters who go to soul nights the length and breadth of this country every week.

what is it with some of you who go to allnighters why do you think you are the chosen few , no doubt there are people with as much knowledge of our music as any attendee of an allniighter and they probably wouldnt be seen dead at an allnighter .

yes there are good and bad soul nights and no doubt good and bad allnighters ,but think the allnighters would be the first to close with the exception of one or two , way before most of the good well run long established soul hights,

Social source share

to some extent I can agree with you about the first part of your post, but think you have a jaundiced view about the soulnight scene , dont do allnighters for various reasons , but attend soul nights local and not so local every w/end and yes I am middle aged and so are most of the punters , but to say we are not interested in the music is a bit of a sweeping statement and a slur on the many hundreds if not thousands of punters who go to soul nights the length and breadth of this country every week.

what is it with some of you who go to allnighters why do you think you are the chosen few , no doubt there are people with as much knowledge of our music as any attendee of an allniighter and they probably wouldnt be seen dead at an allnighter .

yes there are good and bad soul nights and no doubt good and bad allnighters ,but think the allnighters would be the first to close with the exception of one or two , way before most of the good well run long established soul hights,

Even my mate is doing a soul night in Essex same night as Boogaloo Soul (ouch...said to my mate I would attend)......doesn't even do vinyl it's all on CD.I said why didn't you get some deejays with vinyl...reply it's only a local do they don't care if it's vinyl or not.This seems to be the attitude.If god is a deejay everybody wants to be god.

Social source share

Even my mate is doing a soul night in Essex same night as Boogaloo Soul (ouch...said to my mate I would attend)......doesn't even do vinyl it's all on CD.I said why didn't you get some deejays with vinyl...reply it's only a local do they don't care if it's vinyl or not.This seems to be the attitude.If god is a deejay everybody wants to be god.

we have a pub in barnsley called the soul bar and its on every friday saturday and sunday night oldies and motown played off cd,s and a fookin laptop , wouldnt be seen dead in the place .

thankfully there are many soul nights within say an hour or hour and a half travel time which are well run .play decent music ovo, and are well attended. yes the pub disco soulnites are a joke. and will soon wither on the vine.

what I am talking about are venues which attract us punters regularly and play a good mix of music mainly classoc oldies but some good rare and underplayed gems and the latest monster massive (lol) numbers. cant help where you live mate , seems to me the best thing you can do is move northwhistling

Social source share

Next weekend there are 3 weekenders to choose from, Bamberg Dublin & Newquay.

4 Allniters on Soul Source are there any more

Countless soul nights including Solid Hit Soul in London (apologies for shameless plug:hatsoff2: )

It amazes me, surely half the venues will be half full/empty ?

only one place for me next sunday and its very local but do know people from far (australia) and wide will be there in large numbers. thumbsup.gif:hatsoff2:

Social source share

You're a promoters dream Simon. You like all the genres of soul music, you dance and you have no aspirations to be a Dj......you're a very rare breed indeed sir. And well done, you can actually enjoy it all......thumbsup.gifhatsoff2.gif

Phil.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

hello fella........sorry mate you are wrong.....I,ll evidence it thus........in the northants/beds area where l live there are a lot of soul nights...soul cake,pembo,cream cracker ect ect..None of these promoters all of which just happen to be resident dj,s attend ANY venue local or otherwise just to enjoy the nights music. There have been many many events locally where dj,s such as andy dyson,mick h,fred kroll and many more have been djing and NONE l repeat NONE of the so called local promoters/dj,s could be bothered or wanted to come and hear the music these guys have to offer. As far as people with knowledge about err our music...what the f**k has that to do with the price of eggs you don,t have to know about it to go and hear it and you must realise that the nighter dj,s such as andy,mick,butch,kitch ect ect have all the stuff that if you didn,t attend the allnighters you just ain,t ever gonna hear played out........so therefore if these soulnight folk......can,t be bothered to go and hear the top fellas at the nighters cause they don,t do nighters then they obviously are not interested in the music.....atb peggy babcock

Social source share

Who goes where isn't the issue, after all it is ones own choice where to go and listen to soul music and whether or not we go all-night or to a soul night. The real issue that is having a serious detrimental effect on the scene is there is to much choice, too many events. We have already had one crazy example of three venues in close proximity to each other on the same night, sheer madness, there are probably several other instances around the country on any given weekend. I said it earlier, there are not enough soulies to go round, there are not enough youngsters getting into the scene. Many who do all-nighters no longer stay all-night which is understandable considering work, families etc.

The bottom line is promoters have to start working together and putting the greater good of the scene first and not their own self interest. So what if someone doesn't dj, just go out and enjoy the music without the worries or hassle of promoting. So what if your half dozen mates aren't posting in lookbacks how good you are and that the sun shines out of your arse, it is about the music and a scene not any one individual. The scene is in decline and something needs to be done soon, no, now!! We need full venues, less of the local rivalries and politics, we need something that will attract youngsters onto this great dance scene. We also need tolerance, not every other comments in lookbacks saying that at some stage the music didn't do it for them, it probably did it for someone else.

Most of all as said it needs cooperation between promoters!

Social source share

We also need tolerance, not every other comments in lookbacks saying that at some stage the music didn't do it for them, it probably did it for someone else.

Bang on Chalky!

If I go somewhere and the music is not to my taste I just won't go again. I would never come on here slagging it off.

If I go to an allnighter and there is a DJ that does not do it for me. So what? I am one person in a venue full of people.

All it takes is one look at the dance floor. If that is busy then it is job done in my book!

Social source share

I have to completely hold my hands up here and admit to merging two topics, the thread was supposed to be about Allnighter Issues, I wandered from the path and we now have a mixing of two very different things with different factors that probably do nothing but complicate?

Mike I think we should have 2 threads: yes.gif

Allnighter Issues

Soul night Issues

My fault, can we and when I say we, I mean you, can you fix it? sad.gif

Social source share

By no means a standalone solution, and more as part of a 'wider' working plan.. Herein lies an extremely critical point (IMO).. An imperative, forward-moving and natural, progression. One necessary for the short to mid-term success, future, and direction of our much revered Soul Music scene !!

But one I couldn't see happening very easily across the country.. no.gif

Sadly, I personally feel - and mainly down to 'ego's' and an unspoken 'I Am..' attitude (not daring to vocalise it !! It kept purely as a private thought..) - what should, and is in essence a relatively simplistic goal to achieve, would prove indefinitely hindered due to the attitudes & feelings of self-importance I bet would be found amongst several (the majority, perhaps ??) of the component individuals concerned. Obviously it goes without question that it would be absolutely necessary to gain full agreement, participation & input from ALL of the key individuals that would be involved in such collaborations.

To me, a future where promotions (once individual & separate) 'work together', is just so obviously necessary.. A 'No Fail' requisite (and 'No Brainer'..) before any hope of a smooth transition to the successful completion & integration of the relevant clubs/promotions could even begin to be achieved.. But - very importantly - an integral ingredient for achieving correct focus on the future long-term longevity of our Soul Music scene !!

Them's my sentiments, anyways..

Fingers ph34r.gif

Theres NO WAY it will happen Johnny. Your point about egos and views is true and will always stop that. For example, the reason Phil started Burnley was because of the nepatistic 'old boy' dj scene in uk. He wanted a venue (as far as i see) that didn't just rotate the same guests and dj's on a predictably mundane basis year in and year out. He started of well, but then , sort of fell into the same trap himself and then ran out of energy and inspiration. Thats the UK scene for you.

If one venue is adamant its a 60's UPTEMPO only venue and another says that all funk or 70's is shite and another that R & B stinks, this unity will never happen. Lifeline has a strict music policy, Burnley had a strict policy and i can think of only a few nights that dont limit themselves with narrow unbiased views and stupid policy's. Only policy should be 'good music to move your heart, soul and feet. Fuck the genre! If its good its good!

Each venue thinks that IT is right and that the other is wrong...it is all about ego it seems. Small rooms lead the way and maybe they can afford to, as they dont need to cater for large numbers of people who moan when something out of their genre zone is played. Nighters seem to attract increasingly intolerant people (when it comes to music). Also promoters seem to be increasingly uninterested in what goes on on a wider scale in th UK or Europe. Often just frequenting their own nights or rooms, or travelling abroad only when they dj.

I have been at venues with 'Incredible' small rooms attached to the nighter and not 1 of the promoters, standind all night long in the record bar, or big room, has even bothered to wander into the small rooms to check out whats happening. Its almost as if they are too 'big' and too 'right' to investigate any other possibilities...its a hierachy thing.

Im into music, so i check out all the rooms and as many events as my time allows...as a punter. Thats what informs my musical perspective. If i just stayed in one venue or one room, i feel i would be constrained and uninformed as to what the possibilities are. I really feel if a dj is invited to play, he should play what his soul and feet dictate, not what a narrow music policy prescribes.

Without this attitude, venues getting together and supporting each other is a definite non starter. Their narrow genre dictate doesn't allow a cross fertilisation with other venues. They need to broaden, listen, investigate, throw of their preconceptions and have a good dance!yes.gif

Social source share

Bang on Chalky!

If I go somewhere and the music is not to my taste I just won't go again. I would never come on here slagging it off.

If I go to an allnighter and there is a DJ that does not do it for me. So what? I am one person in a venue full of people.

All it takes is one look at the dance floor. If that is busy then it is job done in my book!

I agree :lol:

Well said Joan :thumbsup:

Debbie x

Social source share

ph34r.gif

there are 4 events next sunday in south yorkshire all within spitting distance , none of them are allniters but there is an allniter in leeds.

Whats with the 1000 yard stare ?.

Like i said whats the dayers got to do with this thread?.Got a problem in S.Yorks then aint you.

Its a Bank Hol weekend - always going to get the Charity dayers on at these times.If there's 10 Dayers and 10 niters on,if you happen to choose the one for you ,does anyone really care what's happened at the others. ?

Who gives a fukc anyway,go where you want and have a good time.

It'll be the nighter for you Barney?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert