Mike

• Replies 372
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm lost ? What's the point of the Youtube clip ? Are you saying you don't know Tobi legend, or are you saying you want records like Tobi legend, ie Played out oldies ?

Was just thinking that myself Dave rolleyes.gif I`m getting more confused the more i read this thread yes.gif maybe I`ll have to stop sad.gif

Social source share

Your'e wrong on the assumption that I only want to hear records that I know. I want to hear new stuff but good northern soul with a dance beat from the late sixties and seventies.You think that everyone on the northern scene wants to hear the same old same old.....I'm not interested in hearing mods/ex mods/whoever playing rare soul at an allnighter.They are limited to 1969.Got thousands of rare soul discs myself. I wouldn't mind similar stuff from the original Northern Mod scene.Check this out

I know, you've told us this before.

But please answer me.......who are all these mods/ex mods DJing at Rare Soul Allnighters....this certainly ain't the case in the Midlands/Northwest.....are you referring to London?

Though I once heard a rumour that SoulSam was a mod in the 40s...does that count :D

You say you don't want the same old same old, but you don't want any R&B or Latin....... you do want funk, or anything new that has a familier dancebeat as long as it's good northern soul and not too different to the norm...oh, and it's not played out by mods or ex mods.......think I've got it now.... :yes::D:lol:

Glad to hear you've got thousands of rare soul discs.....perhaps you should ask Rob H to give you a spot at his new do? :D

Even better, out of all these records can you give us 10 examples of newer unknown stuff you would like to hear out at Allnighters.

Surely this is the best way to clarify your point?

Social source share

A good unknown record is still a good record though and it will pass through thev rare scene onto the oldies scene....... (so the rest is substandard stuff that's not good enough for the "oldies scene"????).

Ah, you misquoted me....naughty naughty.... :yes:

I actually said...

"A good 'unknown' record is still a good record though....and chances are it will pass through the rare scene onto the oldies scene and not the other way around."

There is also a good chance it might not.....this does not make it substandard....wet sponges can only absorb so much more fresh water.

Social source share

I know, you've told us this before.

But please answer me.......who are all these mods/ex mods DJing at Rare Soul Allnighters....this certainly ain't the case in the Midlands/Northwest.....are you referring to London?

Though I once heard a rumour that SoulSam was a mod in the 40s...does that count biggrin.gif

You say you don't want the same old same old, but you don't want any R&B or Latin....... you do want funk, or anything new that has a familier dancebeat as long as it's good northern soul and not too different to the norm...oh, and it's not played out by mods or ex mods.......think I've got it now.... thumbsup.gifhuh.giflaugh.gif

Glad to hear you've got thousands of rare soul discs.....perhaps you should ask Rob H to give you a spot at his new do? biggrin.gif

Even better, out of all these records can you give us 10 examples of newer unknown stuff you would like to hear out at Allnighters.

Surely this is the best way to clarify your point?

Maybe I should visit a few rare soul gigs up north and the Midlands then where they play uptempo in your face.I't certainly don't happen down here.I wasn't trying to make the point that I want to hear Tobi!!.I was making the point that the Mod scene moved on in the seventies.Maybe it's just a London thing then that a lot of the deejays are mods and play on the "rare soul scene" and theres no seventies or funkier stuff and the stuff is getting earlier and actually getting older (ie late 50's plays and very early 60's).I might sell all my records and invest in CD's and get together with Mr H and make sure we organise a night that clashes with another gig nearby.... sems to be the norm I've posted examples of stuff I would like to hear at niters before.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Maybe I should visit a few rare soul gigs up north and the Midlands then where they play uptempo in your face.I't certainly don't happen down here.I wasn't trying to make the point that I want to hear Tobi!!.I was making the point that the Mod scene moved on in the seventies.Maybe it's just a London thing then that a lot of the deejays are mods and play on the "rare soul scene" and theres no seventies or funkier stuff and the stuff is getting earlier and actually getting older (ie late 50's plays and very early 60's).I might sell all my records and invest in CD's and get together with Mr H and make sure we organise a night that clashes with another gig nearby.... sems to be the norm I've posted examples of stuff I would like to hear at niters before.

You seem to have made some sweeping statements on the allnighter scene but never ventured above Watford.............Can I make the same ill informed statements about the London scene..........suppose I can as I was at The 100 Club recently been blown away by some of the up-tempo funky type stuff they played..............that I didn't know & danced to????

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

It does seem to be that the "rare soul" sides don't capture the dancers as much as the older established tunes and people aren't playing new records in the same style as the older records. There's a definate divide between rare soul/northern soul. I will attend rare soul nights but I wont attend a rare soul allnighter.I can't risk being sat down for a few hours while deejays play political matrix games behind the decks and try to force educate me.Plus you don't get any seventies or funkier stuff.I will be honest and say that is one of the reasons I stopped going to the 100 Club 3am then......zzzzzzzzzzzz.I think a lot of it has to do with the Mod background a lot of the rare soul deejays have although Rob Messer is from a mod background but seems to get the northern angle every now and again.

Without too much effort, I can think of dozens of "rare" tunes played by at least a dozen djs at a dozen venues which have packed the floor at any time of the night or morning.

John

Social source share

I can see you lurking Adam. Step away from the keyboard..... ph34r.gif

:D:lol::D

I'm doing my very best to not get further involved in this thread, seems I have a habit of slightly annoying some people with some of my posts :D.

But I think Mace made a very relevant point in one of his posts that I've quoted below. Far too many people on here seem to think that a night advertised as 'Rare Soul' play nothing but undanceable obscurities with big price tags but that's a total misconception IMO. When I think of Rare soul I'm thinking rarely played soul which covers everything from great £5 cheapies to forgotten oldies, overlooked b sides, current in-demanders and unknown/semi-known stuff all the way to big money rarities but not over played, hammered oldies....like the way 'Northern Soul' nights used to be before they got stuck in the oldies only rut :yes:

DOES THE COLLECTION HAVE TO BE OF A STRICTLY RARE QUALITY

Yes, though rare could be unknown or underplayed of minimal value.....it does not have to mean £1000+ ....so it depends on your definition of rare?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It does seem to be that the "rare soul" sides don't capture the dancers as much as the older established tunes and people aren't playing new records in the same style as the older records. There's a definate divide between rare soul/northern soul. I will attend rare soul nights but I wont attend a rare soul allnighter.I can't risk being sat down for a few hours while deejays play political matrix games behind the decks and try to force educate me.Plus you don't get any seventies or funkier stuff.I will be honest and say that is one of the reasons I stopped going to the 100 Club 3am then......zzzzzzzzzzzz.I think a lot of it has to do with the Mod background a lot of the rare soul deejays have although Rob Messer is from a mod background but seems to get the northern angle every now and again.

you do seem to talk out of your arse at times rolleyes.gif why don't you venture to some of the rare soul allnighters and listen to what is played before making ill informed postings on here. How do you know that no new records are being played if you don't attend the nighters, how do you know what is being played and what is? you have said yourself you don't attend rare soul all-nighters. As others have said can you tell us who these DJ's on the rare soul scene who are from the Mod scene/background are?

Social source share

Maybe you're a bit late to visit Burnley! Lifeline is still going strong, and whats with this mod/London angle anyway?.

You're promoting a do at the old Valatone venue, what are you proposing that is going to be any different?

Social source share

sorry;l i have read this about 5+ times now and i can't understand it.

are you saying you wont go to allniter cos you don't get any seventies or funk??

or

are you saying that you dont go to allniters cos there is seventies and funk??

you're post isa unclear - though i must admit more northern funk at the 100 Club would be good.

and for me there is a definite divide between northern and rare soul. two different scenes running side by side. that'll never change

and Rob Messr gets the northern angle all the time (at northern do's) IMO

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ain,t got a clue what ya saying wiggy.......except 3 o,clock zzzzzzzzzzzz....thats a problem no one seems to tackle.wink.gif

Social source share

This appears to be gibberish just about all the way through.

I'm gonna pack the floor at the 100 Club (and at a lot of others too) playing Luther Ingram, Gerri Granger, Martha Starr-Sweet Temptation or Lorraine Chandler 'You Only Live Twice' etc more than with most oldies or "classics". I actually love oldies and nearly always play 4 or so in my first set and more in the second, I think that's about the right percentage for the club. We have no specific desire to educate you if you don't want it, we just want to have a mix of the right amount of old, new, 60s, 70s, R&B (which actually gets a bit neglected these days), uptempo, midtempo etc that satisfies the vast majority of the customers. We also want to break new records down there and change the playlist over the years. If I hadn't started doing that in the mid 80s we wouldn't have made into the nineties let alone 2010; I can promise you that.

There's been a swing to quite a few 70s in recent months, even I've whack a few on, all the DJs play some.

None of the regular DJs since Greg have had a mod background and he was always much more into Northern than mod sounds. I've only ever known Joel through Northern though he has a lot of mod friends, he doesn't play any mod tunes at all. It wouldn't be a crime if we did employ a mod either, it's a healthy respected music scene in its own right.

Finally as you've said yourself you don't go to the 100 Club all nighters. Have you been once a year in the last 5 years or less? As we're constantly evolving you really wouldn't know what's happening musically down there. That of course is absolutely fine by everyone but please don't come on a thread trying to tell people what we do.

Ady

Social source share

Well Wiggy..

You will have to know your onions to get away with some of your comments...

Are you just talking about London ( thats the impression i get ) ???

I go where the music takes me.... Maybe you should get out more( quite a scene still up north ) before posting your findings :rolleyes: on a public forfum...

Let us know about your event ???? whats its got offer that London don't give you???

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Im always at events in London and i certainly cant be going to the same ones as wiggy and if anything ive never heard so many funkier northern and 70s getting played lately compared to 3/4 years ago

ps, Mace you are bang on the money with what your saying imho thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Well Wiggy..

I go where the music takes me.... Maybe you should get out more( quite a scene still up north ) before posting your findings rolleyes.gif on a public forfum...

Let us know about your event ???? whats its got offer that London don't give you???

I am talking about the London Rare Soul scene.It mostly does come from a mod background which is why I don't hear any/much seventies/funky stuff and a lot of midtempo/r&b/popcorn/latin and a few uptempo bits.If this is not reflective of the UK "rare soul" scene then I have been enlightened.Where does Bearsy go to hear this funky uptempo stuff in London??

Social source share

Well Wiggy..

I go where the music takes me.... Maybe you should get out more( quite a scene still up north ) before posting your findings rolleyes.gif on a public forfum...

Uptempo sixties and seventies and some funky stuff...............will be organising some events soon.

Social source share

Oh god this is so tempting to just join in this debate and once and for all say it like it really is and no not just in mho but most peoples opinion, just that most would sooner not upset the status quo whereas others (myself included) are so sick and tired and fooked off at being told that we should progress and actually listen to the new stuff........well we/i have and its shit!!

Thats why attendances are down at most nighters apart from your oldies nighters when they are rammed, people dont want to go to nighters and sit through half the night maybe all the night of unknowns, give me a nighter of tunes that i know and been played for 30yrs rather than a nighter of knew/semi knowns that will prob. never end up any further than the dj's box it came from.

Oldies rule!!

6t's newies aka stafford style.....spot on!!

This "New stuff" being passed off as northern soul around alot of the venues on todays scene.....leave it with you.

It would not have been accepted bitd (15yrs ago+) so why the fook is it being played out all over the place today i will never know!!

Social source share

Oh god this is so tempting to just join in this debate and once and for all say it like it really is and no not just in mho but most peoples opinion, just that most would sooner not upset the status quo whereas others (myself included) are so sick and tired and fooked off at being told that we should progress and actually listen to the new stuff........well we/i have and its shit!!

Thats why attendances are down at most nighters apart from your oldies nighters when they are rammed, people dont want to go to nighters and sit through half the night maybe all the night of unknowns, give me a nighter of tunes that i know and been played for 30yrs rather than a nighter of knew/semi knowns that will prob. never end up any further than the dj's box it came from.

Oldies rule!!

This "New stuff" being passed off as northern soul around alot of the venues on todays scene.....leave it with you.

It would not have been accepted bitd (15yrs ago+) so why the fook is it being played out all over the place today i will never know!!

So you love the sounds that have packed the floors from all our great clubs such as The Wheel,The Torch,Wigan,Yate,The Mecca & Stafford (not quite sure were your cut off point is for when the shit started)...............emmm I have one slight problem with your view & it is they were all clubs that played & broke new sounds. So if you had applied your rules in the past you wouldn't have any oldies to do your packed nighters with?

So if any new Stafford type 60t's are unearthed you'll have them to add to the oldies scene...........why what's wrong with the 60t's type tunes from Wigan or The Mecca.

What's wrong with the beat ballads,Latin,70t's/80t's Stafford championed

Why are tunes played now that wasn't accepted 15 years ago is that the scene is permanently evolving.From the outset driven by people wanting to move the boundries,seeing if they could eek out some different facet of dance music that might broaden our outlooks & enjoyment.In your view did the Mecca ruin the scene by changing the musical style played or did it make it a far richer place then before they were played????

I'm obviously not one of your "most people" you speek for & I've been getting it terribly wrong each weekend going out in search of hearing new sounds that get me all giddy & excited just like when I was going to Wigan to hear the next new big sound.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

unknowns should be plated inamongst the other stuff........not as sets thats how they become boring

Social source share

Oldies rule!!

Daz ,it takes time to get to know a tune.BITD how did you know all theses tunes you were hearing were going to be classics?.Cos you gave them time.

Oldies are an instant fix,comfort zone.Nothing wrong with that.But once the buzz has gone out of that,where do you go?.

If the tried and tested still give you a buzz,all well and good.Half the night may be unknowns to you at some venues,but meat and drink to others.

If you don't like more upfront nighters dont go.And if i see you at Rugby in June dancing to a "newie"...i'll be over to have a chat..:D .Kev.

Social source share

beat ballads...........melt em down.......they're fookin rubbishthumbsup.giflaugh.gif

:thumbsup:

Horses for courses and all that my friend...

Dazakin... I like your posts, don't hold back, its all about soul and all views count... I will catch up with you sometime, somewhere and have a chat for sure... I need to know what all this new shite stuff is???

Like Kev said, whats new to one person can be old hat to another....

Dazakin will get plenty feedback with the oldies rule tag....

Maybe he can give some examples of places that he goes to and his hearing the stuff he don't like???.. and places he goes to hear the stuff he does..

Social source share

unknowns should be plated inamongst the other stuff........not as sets thats how they become boring

I was stood in alternate room last week with a well respected dj & collector & a forgotten oldie which had a few plays at Wigan but never went massive was played & he didn't know it? So depending which one of us you talked to was wether it was a know or unknown???

So a set to one person might be unkowns & as you say boring but to another person it might be the best set of the night as they know them..........the dj can't win.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I was stood in alternate room last week with a well respected dj & collector & a forgotten oldie which had a few plays at Wigan but never went massive was played & he didn't know it? So depending which one of us you talked to was wether it was a know or unknown???

So a set to one person might be unkowns & as you say boring but to another person it might be the best set of the night as they know them..........the dj can't win.

Cheers

Martyn

Indeed Martyn...

I can have a person who as been on the scene for 30 years loving a tune for the first time, yet there are quite a few younger folk there who regard it as overplayed or a standard at least..

How so many can come on here and tell us how it should be :hatsoff2: ...

One mans oldie is another mans big newie.... One mans funky northern crossover is another mans disco shite...One mans beat ballad heaven is another mans fu"king plodder... One mans stomper is another mans cats knocking the dustbin over... One mans RnB dancer is another mans Rock n Roll bollocks.... One mans real northern oldies is another mans washed out take them fu"king bags off pile of dogshit..

Who is mr big bollocks that should tell me how it should be :thumbsup:

In the words of the master.... Nobody said it was gonna be easy.... Respect to promoters and djs, getting it right and pleasing some is like trying to have Susan Boyle and Miss world in the same bed and trying to please both with equal time :thumbsup: ... A challenge indeed for a lot of people...

Social source share

beat ballads...........melt em down.......they're fookin rubbishthumbsup.giflaugh.gif

Maybe you'd appreciate them more if they were played on 78... or maybe if you understood soul music.... no offence meant Tes but you really are a prize tw@t... IMO of course... laugh.gif

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Indeed Martyn...

I can have a person who as been on the scene for 30 years loving a tune for the first time, yet there are quite a few younger folk there who regard it as overplayed or a standard at least..

How so many can come on here and tell us how it should be laugh.gif ...

One mans oldie is another mans big newie.... One mans funky northern crossover is another mans disco shite...One mans beat ballad heaven is another mans fu"king plodder... One mans stomper is another mans cats knocking the dustbin over... One mans RnB dancer is another mans Rock n Roll bollocks.... One mans real northern oldies is another mans washed out take them fu"king bags off pile of dogshit..

Who is mr big bollocks that should tell me how it should be biggrin.gif

In the words of the master.... Nobody said it was gonna be easy.... Respect to promoters and djs, getting it right and pleasing some is like trying to have Susan Boyle and Miss world in the same bed and trying to please both with equal time blink.gif ... A challenge indeed for a lot of people...

Steve

Sounds about right to me...............by the way what was Susan Boyle like in bedwicked.gif

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Steve

Sounds about right to me...............by the way what was Susan Boyle like in bedwicked.gif

Cheers

Martyn

She was like having piles while listening the Casuleers on a loop.... But for the sake of the scene, Queen/ country, soul source i did my duyty...

I could not quite help her reach the mountain top.... Mace had to finish her off... :ohmy:

Back on topic please before it gets well well out of hand.. :D

Social source share

Lots of great ,entertaining reading each and every one thinks they are right .. in some ways they are.I like the whole lot of it northern oldies,modern ,funk ,upfront and r+b ( infact it's all r+b ) it all excites me from stoke kings hall to bidds ! It goes without saying go to the venues that play the style or styles you prefer ,basic freedom of choice.

In all fairness the niter scene has to be healthy cos of the amount of em running (especially on the oldies side of things ) and relatively busy,this of course compared to the cutting edge nites,rooms and niters which will always find it difficult for many reasons ,it's just the nature of the beast and it's minority.

Over recent months Lifeline has been at the butt of comments (all negative) which is no problem at all ,although at times cryptic and masked but ultimately aimed at myself and lifeline...in the main mr sadot points out about lifeline's music being stagnant and repetetive and refers to the old guard or old boys (which i assume are the residents at LL? ) which you are bold enough to mention but not name ? is it sam,butch mick h,me ,cliff,arthur,ady pountain,kitch any others? please enlighten us and also if it's any of those- who you'd propose to replace them with - we've had james trouble (who sealed his fate 1st time round) karl heard ( we have invited back) yourself paul on numerous occasions,amongst others adam topping,killa,nicola anderson,kev fev, tony foster,nick stevenson amongst other lovers of something different.. next niter has george m spinning (1 of the chaps you mention) I wasn't aware ian wright ,adam leaver or callum were actively dj'ing on the northern scene ? Also on a thread some time ago we asked for any folk wanting to play at lifeline to drop us a line with details ,we got 2 or 3 replies all of which appeared on the rosta.. ( closed shop eh ? another one of yours and other folks digs )

Paul mentions the lack of 70's or best of 70's ,utter crap do i really need to name current 70's /funky edged spins ? certainly worth mentioning in relation to this ,lifeline's worst period for attendances was at olde bell when most of the dj's programmed more 70's,infact not just more 70's but some of the finest ever in the shape of doc peabody,the importers on import or how about the justifications on restart ? obviously you know all these paul ? so the very way forward you're goin on about in essence nearly finnished lifeline of course with other factors... you seem to be blinkered by the way of the small back room scenario working in a main room environment well as much as i'd like that to work along with all the lifeline dj's and guests it ain't gonna work it never has and never will ,it's all an illusion and you know what they are the words of some of the dj's you say should be on at lifeline whom you mention in your posts ! we have a average of 250 in these days the punter does and on the whole write the dance floor story ,having said that cos we have a 50/50ish split of upfront and good time punters due to careful and some what longer term time scale for breaking newer discoveries - this is the way it is at best. So i'm intrigued who you will replace at least butch with ,who can find and play new records better than him ? or sam who can manipulate a dance floor like him with such natural vibe ?

Which promoter declared all 70's shite and won't have funk influenced tunes paul?

someone commented about the big dj's playing for free ,if not give the little guys aset then they may stop setting there on venues up. jesus christ that's rich !

Hardly worth going into paul but you mention one of the promoters at a 3 room event, too scared to venture into the small rooms ? assuming that's me ,scared my arse it's a matter of watching the front and maintaining a safe and secure environment for the public,for the record i went in all 3 rooms..

it could go on and on and on .. posted this up because i thought it was relevant to the state of at least a small part of the upfront niter scene and only because i felt my hand was dealt somewhat !

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Maybe you'd appreciate them more if they were played on 78... or maybe if you understood soul music.... no offence meant Tes but you really are a prize tw@t... IMO of course... :laugh:

hello cliff........".two loves have l ":laugh::laugh:

Social source share

Sorry mate, but this is total nonsense. We play what might be considered 'rare soul' at Move On, pretty much everything we play is uptempo, a lot of it 60s and is as dancable as anything you will here at a classic oldies night. I've always been a dancer and i love dancing to Danny White - Natural Soul Borther, L.J. Reynolds - Intruder, Freddy Hill - Mr Lucky etc.. etc.. etc... In fact i can't think of anything we play that isn't an in your face dancer. Personally i would never play anything i couldn't dance to myself.

Spot on...mine are ALL dance records and mostly uptempo! Sounds like theres a very narrow view of whats out there, possibly based on too few visits to too few venues.

Social source share

Over recent months Lifeline has been at the butt of comments (all negative) which is no problem at all ,although at times cryptic and masked but ultimately aimed at myself and lifeline...in the main mr sadot points out about lifeline's music being stagnant and repetetive and refers to the old guard or old boys (which i assume are the residents at LL? ) which you are bold enough to mention but not name ? is it sam,butch mick h,me ,cliff,arthur,ady pountain,kitch any others? please enlighten us and also if it's any of those- who you'd propose to replace them with

As i said Andy, i like most people rate Butch as the best dj around in all genres...its just that i keep hearing the same tunes everytime hes on at lifeline.....or maybe i just timed it wrong when i go? If you read the whole thread, i said Mick is playing brilliant sets? Sam, you gt to love him, BUT, as ive said a few more diverse guests would be good as often the guests ive heard tend to play the stuff that the residents are already covering in their sets, so whats the point of a guest who mimmicks the residents? I think Wrighty and Adam dj where they are invited. Ian recently did Milan, which is a great club with an open music (soul) policy.

- we've had james trouble (who sealed his fate 1st time round) karl heard ( we have invited back) yourself paul on numerous occasions,amongst others adam topping,killa,nicola anderson,kev fev, tony foster,nick stevenson amongst other lovers of something different.. next niter has george m spinning (1 of the chaps you mention) I wasn't aware ian wright ,adam leaver or callum were actively dj'ing on the northern scene ? Also on a thread some time ago we asked for any folk wanting to play at lifeline to drop us a line with details ,we got 2 or 3 replies all of which appeared on the rosta.. ( closed shop eh ? another one of yours and other folks digs )

Apologies on this Andy, i never saw that post

Paul mentions the lack of 70's or best of 70's ,utter crap do i really need to name current 70's /funky edged spins ? certainly worth mentioning in relation to this ,lifeline's worst period for attendances was at olde bell when most of the dj's programmed more 70's,infact not just more 70's but

Which promoter declared all 70's shite and won't have funk influenced tunes paul?

If you read back Andy you will see it was Chalky who made the 'People dont want funk edged stuff satement and thats what i based my comment on. His attitude seemed a little closed and i thought he represented lifelines view? I know personally that YOU have broad taste in soul/funk, but Chalky seemed to just dismiss a whole genre in one statement.

Hardly worth going into paul but you mention one of the promoters at a 3 room event, too scared to venture into the small rooms ? assuming that's me ,scared my arse it's a matter of watching the front and maintaining a safe and secure environment for the public,for the record i went in all 3 rooms..

Have to disagree, there is a hierachy and at the 'big boy' end they seem to think it demeaning to listen or show they are listening to unknown (wannabees as they are lovingly called). I have supported EVERY SINGLE dj you have mentioned on here Andy..everyone single one, and base this bold staement on mine and others experiences. Not talking about you, but there are loads who think they have heard it all and they just have not. If im in a venue i want to hear everyone cos im excited by music and always looking and listening. I think this desire has deserted some bigger names on the scene. Its a sort of apathy and laziness.

Its healthy to have debate Andy and i AM a punter and as you know, supported Lifeline for a long time and will continue to do so. I feel that this allows me to comment on my own experience as a punter and i do so not to put the venue or music down, but to say please lets have more interesting guests that embrace the great 70's funk edged soul thats around (maybe im just being selfish and want more of it!Butch has loads, but we rarely hear him play it in the UK?). I will be there to support George and im sure he will do an great job.

Social source share

If you read back Andy you will see it was Chalky who made the 'People dont want funk edged stuff satement and thats what i based my comment on. His attitude seemed a little closed and i thought he represented lifelines view? I know personally that YOU have broad taste in soul/funk, but Chalky seemed to just dismiss a whole genre in one statement.

Most of the comments I have made are my opinion on the whole. I am certainly not closed to anything and listen and collect all sorts but I still think by and large the majority of people who attend an all-nighter prefer and want 60's. I've seen it happen at many venues plenty of times when 70's and funkier stuff programmed (especially when too much in one go) the floor does thin out and I also listen to what people tell me. All-nighters are by and large for the majority not the minority but it does appear some can't accept that.

Can you point out the post where I said people don't want funk edged stuff, I remember saying I had no wish to hear endless amounts of it but can't remember saying no one wanted none of it or dismissing the whole genre totally?

Social source share

Over recent months Lifeline has been at the butt of comments (all negative) which is no problem at all ,although at times cryptic and masked but ultimately aimed at myself and lifeline...in the main mr sadot points out about lifeline's music being stagnant and repetetive and refers to the old guard or old boys (which i assume are the residents at LL? ) which you are bold enough to mention but not name ? is it sam,butch mick h,me ,cliff,arthur,ady pountain,kitch any others? please enlighten us and also if it's any of those- who you'd propose to replace them with

As i said Andy, i like most people rate Butch as the best dj around in all genres...its just that i keep hearing the same tunes everytime hes on at lifeline.....or maybe i just timed it wrong when i go? If you read the whole thread, i said Mick is playing brilliant sets? Sam, you gt to love him, BUT, as ive said a few more diverse guests would be good as often the guests ive heard tend to play the stuff that the residents are already covering in their sets, so whats the point of a guest who mimmicks the residents? I think Wrighty and Adam dj where they are invited. Ian recently did Milan, which is a great club with an open music (soul) policy.

- we've had james trouble (who sealed his fate 1st time round) karl heard ( we have invited back) yourself paul on numerous occasions,amongst others adam topping,killa,nicola anderson,kev fev, tony foster,nick stevenson amongst other lovers of something different.. next niter has george m spinning (1 of the chaps you mention) I wasn't aware ian wright ,adam leaver or callum were actively dj'ing on the northern scene ? Also on a thread some time ago we asked for any folk wanting to play at lifeline to drop us a line with details ,we got 2 or 3 replies all of which appeared on the rosta.. ( closed shop eh ? another one of yours and other folks digs )

Apologies on this Andy, i never saw that post

Paul mentions the lack of 70's or best of 70's ,utter crap do i really need to name current 70's /funky edged spins ? certainly worth mentioning in relation to this ,lifeline's worst period for attendances was at olde bell when most of the dj's programmed more 70's,infact not just more 70's but

Have to disagree, there is a hierachy and at the 'big boy' end they seem to think it demeaning to listen or show they are listening to unknown (wannabees as they are lovingly called). I have supported EVERY SINGLE dj you have mentioned on here Andy..everyone single one, and base this bold staement on mine and others experiences. Not talking about you, but there are loads who think they have heard it all and they just have not. If im in a venue i want to hear everyone cos im excited by music and always looking and listening. I think this desire has deserted some bigger names on the scene. Its a sort of apathy and laziness.

Its healthy to have debate Andy and i AM a punter and as you know, supported Lifeline for a long time and will continue to do so. I feel that this allows me to comment on my own experience as a punter and i do so not to put the venue or music down, but to say please lets have more interesting guests that embrace the great 70's funk edged soul thats around (maybe im just being selfish and want more of it!Butch has loads, but we rarely hear him play it in the UK?). I will be there to support George and im sure he will do an great job.

I agree it's healthy to debate and on the whole am on the same side as you and of course your enthusiasm is faultless,but the reality is we aren't in milan ,we're in the midlands which shouldn't matter but it does when it comes to the paying customer, this funk edged thing is all well and good but like i said before was nearly the death of lifeline the people voted with their feet... we had to get back at least to the 60's base and build from there which we have at the stables,the funk scene is no more is it ? apart from the collecting side ,did all these funk people flock to listen to our stuff at lifeline during leaner times when we did play more of it ? well no they didn't ,this don't mean we shouldn't play a bit more of it now ,but again reality time it's hard enough to introduce a northern winning unknown let alone a left field 70's/funk dancer ,again not the way it should be ! re chalky's words when he speaks he speaks for himself as it goes i know where he was coming from re the full hour of the funk edged stuff it probably would be too much for some ! from lifeline's view you're as good as your last night now if people go away feeling a little confused or unhappy then they may not come back ever...

re hearing butch,myself or any of the other jocks playing the same records as last time well -it's simple ...finding another unknown to replace the ravins, henry c ,bolita woods or whatever tune it is, now there are plenty of great tunes but not plenty of great tunes that no one else has which in essence is why we go to niters right ?

I wish i could wave a magic wand and everyone be into all the genres and styles on offer but it's difficult,Lifeline may not be perfect and probably not the best ,but i feel the niter scene can and will benefit from what it has to offer,certainly in the not too distant future....?

Social source share

I can't help but think that some of you are just taking this all too much to heart and making it far too personal by reference to specific clubs and Dj's.

Getting back to the original thread a discussion on nighters and if the other smaller clubs are killing them ?

Whats killing them .... thumbsup.gifOld age it's as simple as that for me I just can't do it anymore .

I have just done a great weekender where i paced it to stay up until 2am friday and saturday plus did two dayers ( where i enjoyod the best of music ) then went to the mars Barr nighter last night where if I am being honest I was shot to pieces. I hit the brick wall at 10 pm ! having done close to 400 miles in the mix of it all.

I don't want to do drugs and my body can only do so much , I want to reach 65 with good health and I know if I supported "Nighters" that ain't gonna happen.

So I prefer soul nights and the more the better because then I have choice , and also I have a life for the next 6 days where I am sort of on the same planet as the rest of the world. I have a good job that I want to keep and family that are important to me too.

I think if you asked the soul supporting /attending population it would be as simple as that because those the do nighters are not this large crowd that you think they are anymore.

To me you need to accept thats its a small crowd now who has that need specifically.

If the survival of the Allnighter scene is so critical dj's would play for nothing thus reducing overheads so you could still get together and share what you love great underplayed soul music with a bunch of friends rather than a big crowd.

What is starting to happen in my view , more localised clubs , less travel, and shorter hours.

Money has a lot to do with it but I think health is becoming a stronger issue too, as we are getting older.

Another reason why I personally don't like Nighters....

The saddest sight for me is seeing a friend who had a great family behind him once and healthy a glow about him turn into the shadow of the person I knew who dances to fast music all night in another world blocking out reality because maybe the daytime is too painful or mundane to endure.

On the positive side .... DAYERS ! they are the future thumbsup.gif

I am sure my post will cause some controvasy .... but hey at least it's honest hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

but again reality time it's hard enough to introduce a northern winning unknown let alone a left field 70's/funk dancer ,again not the way it should be !

Excellent post Andy and i reckon a real reality check for all of us who are trying to move away from the obvious and the overplayed. It's far tougher than anyone can imagine.

Maybe we are arrogant (not your words i know) to assume that everyone will want to hear something different, underplayed or new most of the time, or even half of the time. The truth, as you say, is that the northern soul scene is rooted in the familiar, the uptempo 60s and the oldies and classics, and anywhere that tries to buck that trend is doomed to struggle, unless they do it gently (which in my opinion has never succeeded in the long run). Lifeline probably does have the balance right but is still hamstringed by the nostalgia crowd.

But where did it all go wrong? What happened to clubs full of people expecting to hear new or underplayed sounds every time they went out? What happened to the DJs leading the way? What happened to DJs like Keb playing a record five times in a row to an empty dancefloor because he believed in it? At the Stafford reunion he must have had a wry smile on his face when he played Tony Galla to a packed dancefloor 25 years later. I think he even said over the mic, '...last time i played this here no one danced'.laugh.gif

I still think the spirit of the early 80s post-Wigan was to hear stuff that hasn't been done to death week in week out, that was why i signed up. That spirit has been lost by a lot of people and betrayed by far more. What a f**king shame.

Social source share

I can't help but think that some of you are just taking this all too much to heart and making it far too personal by reference to specific clubs and Dj's.

Getting back to the original thread a discussion on nighters and if the other smaller clubs are killing them ?

Whats killing them .... thumbsup.gifOld age it's as simple as that for me I just can't do it anymore .

I have just done a great weekender where i paced it to stay up until 2am friday and saturday plus did two dayers ( where i enjoyod the best of music ) then went to the mars Barr nighter last night where if I am being honest I was shot to pieces. I hit the brick wall at 10 pm ! having done close to 400 miles in the mix of it all.

I don't want to do drugs and my body can only do so much , I want to reach 65 with good health and I know if I supported "Nighters" that ain't gonna happen.

So I prefer soul nights and the more the better because then I have choice , and also I have a life for the next 6 days where I am sort of on the same planet as the rest of the world. I have a good job that I want to keep and family that are important to me too.

I think if you asked the soul supporting /attending population it would be as simple as that because those the do nighters are not this large crowd that you think they are anymore.

To me you need to accept thats its a small crowd now who has that need specifically.

If the survival of the Allnighter scene is so critical dj's would play for nothing thus reducing overheads so you could still get together and share what you love great underplayed soul music with a bunch of friends rather than a big crowd.

What is starting to happen in my view , more localised clubs , less travel, and shorter hours.

Money has a lot to do with it but I think health is becoming a stronger issue too, as we are getting older.

The saddest sight for me is seeing a friend who had a great family behind him once and healthy a glow about him turn into the shadow of the person I knew who dances to fast music all night in another world blocking out reality because maybe the daytime is too painful or mundane to endure.

I am sure my post will cause some controvasy .... but hey at least it's honest hatsoff2.gif

Nice postthumbsup.gif

Social source share

So you love the sounds that have packed the floors from all our great clubs such as The Wheel,The Torch,Wigan,Yate,The Mecca & Stafford (not quite sure were your cut off point is for when the shit started)...............emmm I have one slight problem with your view & it is they were all clubs that played & broke new sounds. So if you had applied your rules in the past you wouldn't have any oldies to do your packed nighters with?

So if any new Stafford type 60t's are unearthed you'll have them to add to the oldies scene...........why what's wrong with the 60t's type tunes from Wigan or The Mecca.

Your point is very valid and yes bitd most if not all venues broke "new" tunes which today would now be classed as oldies, there in lies my point really.

To be able to do the above then a tune has to be good enough to the masses to begin with and i just dont here that with todays new unknowns being spun. Its not a case of in time it will grow on you like all new stuff generally needs a few listens before your ears get to like a tune.......it is never gonna happen with most (not all) of the plays.

Maybe we have reached the bottom of the barrel as far as class good old fashioned 60's northern dancers are concerned, yes we can always change the goal posts to include in the barrel gritty R n B or whatever you like really but you cannot tell me with a serious face that most of the new stuff today is what we would normally call northern soul as it aint.

But what is really sad about all of this debate is that me and others are soooo pissed off at getting slagged and slated for just wanting to hear what is after all northern soul, nothing else just northern. We are relentlessly being told to move on, give the tunes a chance, stop living in the past, well what do you think i/we have been doing, we have had no choice but to listen and give them a chance, but if it aint gonna do it for us now it never will.

Narrow minded? yes i am as far as my music is concerned, i dont want to "move on and progress" i was/am happy with the way it used to be. i.e going to any venue over a weekend with a rammed attendance knowing your gonna listen to class music, not leaving until the end, and not leaving with a sense of thinking WTF was that all about. Now if i am wrong and todays scene is all about going to venues knowing that there will be only a couple of hundred there at best, and that your only going to listen to a smattering of northern and then it will be because its deemed to be one of a few known originals and guess what i have it and you dont then to be quite honest you can shove it!! i will stick to my "nostalgia" nighters as one put it on here once.

Its just so maddening that you cant or wont accept that the very reason we are having this very thread is not because of music policy really its because people are trying to get to understand why venues are failing and numbers are falling.......well there is your answer, get the music played back to mainly "oldies" and you will have your numbers back along with proper nighters.

But hey, its all just my honest opinion, an opinion that i know will get slagged and slated, and to say i am not bothered would be a lie, of coarse i am bothered, been going 30 yrs and in all that time i dont think i have upset many if anybody and me thinks this will change the view in which people see me, then so be it.

Social source share

Great post thumbsup.gif well said that lady yes.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I am sure my post will cause some controvasy .... but hey at least it's honest :hatsoff2:

Whilst l fully appreciate the gist of your post.......there are plenty of folk who don,t see age as a barrier....i,m 53 and all our crowd that travel are over 50 and we love it if the music is good.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

As an add on to my above reply.....the reason we started getting back out to nighters was that we were heartily fed up with the attitude of the soul night crowd in our general area. Never mind that they could,nt stay up all night,they could,nt stay at the venue past 12. The music just became more and more mundane and samey.......we just had to escape for our bloody sanity:yes: ......T

Social source share

Whilst l fully appreciate the gist of your post.......there are plenty of folk who don,t see age as a barrier....i,m 53 and all our crowd that travel are over 50 and we love it if the music is good.

I understand mate and full credit that you and others can maintain it :hatsoff2: I just know I can't.

Edited by Carms
Social source share

I am sure my post will cause some controvasy .... but hey at least it's honest :hatsoff2:

hi carms lovely to c u last night, really enjoyed reading ur post all nighters and drugs are not a killer in moderation it the stress between monday and friday and the life style we lead i personally believe to stay healthy u must be in harmony with ur mind and body billy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert