Mike

• Replies 372
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yup, and another example. Went to a soul night locally advertised in paper a couple of years ago. Over 150 in, didn't recognise a single face - well one actually, and then two others turned up so 3 out of 150. The other 147 were enjoying themselves to 60s and northern soul, and you never see them at a rare soul gig, allnighter or even an evening do. So I think SHS is safe Dave thumbsup.gif

sweatingbullets.gifsweatingbullets.gifsweatingbullets.gif Cheers matelaugh.gif I did say on my post that I didn't think for one moment that it would affect us (might have said effectblush.gif ) just questioning the sense in having 2 Northern nights running the same night 10 minutes away from each other. As Wiggy pointed out 2 totally different nights etc, might pop along between sets & stick some flyers out ph34r.gifshhh.gif

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

when will some accept that some have moved on and for various reasons are unable encapsulate that niter feeling that some feel is the be end all etc why can't 'they' accept that there are literally 1000's who each weekend enjoy nothing more/nothing else than a

social evening of memories and nostalgia with some thought provoking stuff via the wheels of steel.

yes.gif

Some of you post as if you are the elite just because you still do a bit and attend the occasional nighter,,sake no.gif

Come on Paul. even i a thick ex collier can see who your post is aimed at

Dont think its a case of moved on either. Agree circumstances are a factor for some people not being able to attend Niters and not having

the inclination to, fair play.One mans meat is anothers poison. I think its a comfort zone for DJs, as has already been said, there are far to many.

Also for the bulk of punters on the scene as you say, who just want a social evening,fairly local.

The Niter scene is still the cutting edge for me and not being elitist, DJs of the calibre of Butch, MickH,Andy Dyson,Sam, Karl Heard get my vote anyday

over the guy playing from a box similar to someone a few miles up the road at another memory night. Not knocking it, its that type of venue that pulls

95% of the punters on the scene. I like oldies, but in moderation. as 70s and crossover.

Dont include your goodself in my assesment of memory night style DJ,Always something a bit different and tasty,when we used to come down to DKOF

and when you guested at ours.

Funnily enough saw Smudge play out the other week at Steven n Petes new venue, Quality. Credit where its dueyes.gif

He was still calling you thoughlaugh.gif

Best

Paul

Edited by BigPaul
Social source share

whats so hard to understand about the lack of young people on this scene . in my opinion its very simple they dont like it' its to old for them f... me whats hard to understand about that ? the majority of this scene are in there 40s 50s and 60s .did you want to listen to stuff your mum and dad listend to when you was young ? i didnt, and thats why this scene will die a natural death

not to mention kids pissing them selves at middle aged people jumping around in big skirts and fat middle aged blokes dancing around sporting jackets and bags full of badges .

also people get bored with it simple as that

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

OOH seem to have struck a note! Name me your top ten funkier tunes Chalky. I can only assume your lack of knowledge of this genre is the reason for your fear and outrageously uninformed statement. Im not talking about FONK im talking about great 70s soul that Lifeline definitely doesn't cater for. Thats not to put the venue down, but you have a strict mostly 60's and so called best of 70's policy, thats fine. But you DEFINITELY are not playing the best of. 70's..Fuck Wally Coco, ive hammered that for 2 or more years. Its just an example of whats about, but still not embraced by the nighter scene...

Your closed attitude and lack of getting out to smaller venues seems to inform the "people dont want it" statement...check Boutique and other venues maybe. You will grow from it! Boring and repetitive is what id call the Northern scene at the moment, hence the problems and people running there own events because the so called big nighters that used to lead the scene, have become stagnant and repetitive. yes.gif

I would never run a nighter, i think they are over...soul nights are about as long as the older scene goers can fully commit energy to before getting pissed. Having said that, i support your venue, i AM a punter and as such feel i can say (from my heart and soul) what i think.

I have however run a play for 3 years that played to 80.000 people and , i hope, contributed some joy and soul to the scene. It cost £250,000 to tour each time and so know about stress and promoting Chalky....

Hi Paul,

Hats off to you for sucessfully running your play for 3 years I know how stressful and difficult that can be.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yup, and another example. Went to a soul night locally advertised in paper a couple of years ago. Over 150 in, didn't recognise a single face - well one actually, and then two others turned up so 3 out of 150. The other 147 were enjoying themselves to 60s and northern soul, and you never see them at a rare soul gig, allnighter or even an evening do. So I think SHS is safe Dave :)

But why don't we see these other 147 people enjoying Northern Soul at venues like SHS and travelling the country to taste other venues? We should be trying to encourage them to support the wider scene and not ignore them.

Social source share

Come on Paul. even i a thick ex collier can see who your post is aimed at

Dont think its a case of moved on either. Agree circumstances are a factor for some people not being able to attend Niters and not having

the inclination to, fair play.One mans meat is anothers poison. I think its a comfort zone for DJs, as has already been said, there are far to many.

Also for the bulk of punters on the scene as you say, who just want a social evening,fairly local.

The Niter scene is still the cutting edge for me and not being elitist, DJs of the calibre of Butch, MickH,Andy Dyson,Sam, Karl Heard get my vote anyday

over the guy playing from a box similar to someone a few miles up the road at another memory night. Not knocking it, its that type of venue that pulls

95% of the punters on the scene. I like oldies, but in moderation. as 70s and crossover.

Dont include your goodself in my assesment of memory night style DJ,Always something a bit different and tasty,when we used to come down to DKOF

and when you guested at ours.

Funnily enough saw Smudge play out the other week at Steven n Petes new venue, Quality. Credit where its dueyes.gif

He was still calling you thoughlaugh.gif

Best

Paul

Paul thanks for the comments. lets be honest I was shit...as for Andy I always knew he'd eventually get the hang of it.

My post was not aimed at anyone in particular mate and by saying 'some' I meant just that. If folk still have the energy or inclination to attend ALL NIGHT soul music gatherings I applaud them, as you describe nighters have always been at the cutting edge of the UK's rare soul scene.

What annoys me is why some feel this need to in somehow show the premership status by ridiculing those that prefer to support and enjoy some fantastic evening events all over the UK , ..Its not and oldie/newie issue with me its simply I have no desire nor the iappetite to do 'em anymore.

Right On Brother... :)

Social source share

With respect Paul, Beat Boutique is not a soul night as we know it although full respect to the guys for getting the music out there.

To quote your last post, it is not 'what a narrow music policy prescribes' so much as what the venue prescribes.

The style of music you champion is not typical of what allnighters on this scene are about.

I have listened to what you play and although there is the odd track I like, you would be the first to admit that it is not to my taste.

This is where the small rooms come in. They offer something different. Small rooms do not carry allnighters. If they did they would be the main rooms.

I hate to say it but if you are looking for a scene to accept the style of music you like then I have a horrible feeling this isn't the one to do it.

It has nothing to do with whether the music is good or not. Just that it is not right for this scene.

Thanks Joan, probably said that better than I could.

Some need to remember that the nighter promoters they are knocking should be thanked for allowing them a room to play to a minority. The minority is not what the NS scene is about and like Joan said if it was what the majority wanted it would be in the main room.

Also got to agree with you Joan about the style of music Paul is continually going on about, the majority don't want it at an all-nighter, you only have to watch the dance floor reaction at an all-nighter when an hour or so is forced on them, it doesn't go down well.

Reet, work to do :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Paul thanks for the comments. lets be honest I was shit...as for Andy I always knew he'd eventually get the hang of it.

My post was not aimed at anyone in particular mate and by saying 'some' I meant just that. If folk still have the energy or inclination to attend ALL NIGHT soul music gatherings I applaud them, as you describe nighters have always been at the cutting edge of the UK's rare soul scene.

What annoys me is why some feel this need to in somehow show the premership status by ridiculing those that prefer to support and enjoy some fantastic evening events all over the UK , ..Its not and oldie/newie issue with me its simply I have no desire nor the iappetite to do 'em anymore.

Right On Brother... :wink:

Paul, as a local soul nite punter I second that mate. As in local soul nite I mean events playing the real stuff and not a town pub on Saturday night playing boots and CDs etc. There's a lot of folks who no longer do the niter thing anymore. Many have been there, done that mega style in their day but life moves on and some of us no longer wish to do the niter circuit. Ok, many of us may not be too up to scratch on the cutting edge new niter plays, but we ain't bad in knowing what's what musically and record wise.

Fook me, in 16 years time I'll be 70 and nowadays look forward to falling in me bed half pissed at 1am and not half blocked at 8am.

Some older guys do still go to niters, that's fine for them if they want to but lets not forget that many who no longer do so are not some underclass who don't know what the score is

Social source share

chalky absolutely behind u 100%....keep the niters exciting thats what i say....its not hard u play good records with the right vibe,,the dancefloors buzzing......play the opposite,,u get the opposite ,,,u never gonna please everyone i guess but ive noticed alot in the last 6 months....

Social source share

But why don't we see these other 147 people enjoying Northern Soul at venues like SHS and travelling the country to taste other venues? We should be trying to encourage them to support the wider scene and not ignore them.

Not saying we should ignore them but they don't see themselves as part of the scene we recognise. As I said they think we are too old etc. They just don't attend the venues we'd be familiar with and have created their own scene in a parallel universe to the one we live in. Weird but true. ATB Steve

Social source share

Now we have come back full circle to what I said on these very pages, probably 5/6 years ago. Let's run a soul night 8 till 2 playing fantastic music, what ever you want to call it, rare, upfront, lesser known, unknown, and all the people who are saying that they don't want to do allnighters anymore will flock to it........ha, ha! yeh right. How many have tried that and failed through lack of support. How many are still flogging the proverbial dead horse?

It's the people who travel that want that music, and they won't travel to a soul night when it takes them hours to get there then it shuts a 2am.

The answer? check out the lookbacks......Sunday afternoons.......:yes::laugh: sad but true.......

Got to go and sign on.

Social source share

Yes, and not just me either judging by this thread........:D

No furry muff, but after all the effort that has gone in to expanding the site with the now many differnt sub sections and the chat room etc etc, to say it's dull was just a bit of a slap in the face I thought was all.

Social source share

Now we have come back full circle to what I said on these very pages, probably 5/6 years ago. Let's run a soul night 8 till 2 playing fantastic music, what ever you want to call it, rare, upfront, lesser known, unknown, and all the people who are saying that they don't want to do allnighters anymore will flock to it........ha, ha! yeh right. How many have tried that and failed through lack of support. How many are still flogging the proverbial dead horse?

It's the people who travel that want that music, and they won't travel to a soul night when it takes them hours to get there then it shuts a 2am.

The answer? check out the lookbacks......Sunday afternoons.......yes.giflaugh.gif sad but true.......

Got to go and sign on.

biggrin.gif ,or even 12.30 Phil.....all depends on size of venue,overheads,what dj's you can attract,crowd loyalty.So,if they won't travel to soul nights...and premeir niters are sufferring.......plus some folks don't post on here....

Edited by KevH
Social source share

With respect Paul, Beat Boutique is not a soul night as we know it although full respect to the guys for getting the music out there.

To quote your last post, it is not 'what a narrow music policy prescribes' so much as what the venue prescribes.

The style of music you champion is not typical of what allnighters on this scene are about.

I have listened to what you play and although there is the odd track I like, you would be the first to admit that it is not to my taste.

This is where the small rooms come in. They offer something different. Small rooms do not carry allnighters. If they did they would be the main rooms.

I hate to say it but if you are looking for a scene to accept the style of music you like then I have a horrible feeling this isn't the one to do it.

It has nothing to do with whether the music is good or not. Just that it is not right for this scene.

Hey Joanie, Theres no way i want the 'Scene' to adopt my music...i love my music too much and wouldn't want it hammered to death. My point was that organizers and those BIG name dj's who dismiss a whole genre, may benefit from actually poppng there heads into the smaller venues, or rooms, instead of chatting in record bars all night. Im often amazed how they just do not go beyond their zone..ie...decks when there on and record bar when their not!laugh.gif You have experienced this yourself! Its a ego thing, as has been said. Im a collector, i do it every day of the week and i will still do it regardless of djing...Im not going to suddenly sell my collection cos i dont dj!

As a punter, along with MANY others , im bored shitless by the music at the big nighters, its just that i dare say it...many people whisper it in your ear, but say f--k all. If it was all SO GOOD and fresh and alive , the 100 club would be full and nighters around the country thriving. The reason a lot of the big nighters dont post playlists is because you could then see how it hasn't changed much in 5 years, apart from the odd tune. For me its better to try and fail , than remain in limbo and grow stale.

Obviously its my choice where i go, as you said....and i have supported a lot of venues, regardless of whether i moan or not. I dont think the same can be said of the elite, repetitive, squad. I never see them supporting anything but their own nights and even then their own room (too lazy or scared to enter a small room at same nighter). Its easier to dismiss everything without knowing it than to listen and participate, filter and adapt, take the few tunes that fit and integrate them. Easier to know it all....NOT.

The term 'funk' has been mis appropriated by people who think it means James Brown or what i call fonk (barnyard shite!). Its scaring people. Im talking about all the great 70's that ive heard people like George, Adam L, Ian Wright, Val, and countless other djs play. People can only judge and say its shite without hearing it, but Kal Heard seems to pack the floor with it? So someone must be liking it. I think nighters should have room for something fresh and at least try it before dismissing it. Its SO easy to say most of its shite, without having heard it or ventured into those rooms. If it was tried and failed , i would then say, fair enough, get it off, but it has far from been tried. At places like Rugby etc Karl has generated loads of excitement for this style of 60's sounding 70's and often people cant believe its 70's.

Why do i want to go to a nighter where i could post the playlist im going to hear, BEFORE i go? I never used to be able to.

Anway, fact is, unless we inspire a younger crowd, the scene will die with the dogma that is starngling it now. I hope it doesn't.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Also got to agree with you Joan about the style of music Paul is continually going on about, the majority don't want it at an all-nighter, you only have to watch the dance floor reaction at an all-nighter when an hour or so is forced on them, it doesn't go down well.

What hour was that then? I aint seen George, Val, Wrighty, Adam, etc a big room to be allowed to fail? I also thing Karl Heard knocks your 'They dont want it', theory into touch! Also how do YOU know my style of music, you aint heard it since Wilton a year ago? As, i hope most djs have, i have many styles of music (soul) prefering to collect on the basis of i like to dance to it, rather than it falls into a specific genre? Im sure you do the same? Maybe its easier for you to say 'they dont want it' than to try it. Very patronizing towards punters to make that decision for them, without allowing them to hear any of it. Almost like your the 'soul gate keepers':laugh:

Social source share

What hour was that then? I aint seen George, Val, Wrighty, Adam, etc a big room to be allowed to fail? I also thing Karl Heard knocks your 'They dont want it', theory into touch! Also how do YOU know my style of music, you aint heard it since Wilton a year ago? As, i hope most djs have, i have many styles of music (soul) prefering to collect on the basis of i like to dance to it, rather than it falls into a specific genre? Im sure you do the same? Maybe its easier for you to say 'they dont want it' than to try it. Very patronizing towards punters to make that decision for them, without allowing them to hear any of it. Almost like your the 'soul gate keepers':laugh:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

The answer? check out the lookbacks......Sunday afternoons.......:yes::laugh: sad but true.......

Got to go and sign on.

Well i for one can prove you wrong about that statement.

maybe i am in the minority now.

I don't drive but i am willing to spend an overnight stay in a hotel somewhere,just to go to a good soul night that finishes at 2.am.

I know i am more fortunate than some of you, i no longer have the expense of children and stuff as they have now grown up and fled the nest.

Just to re cap what i said on an earlier thread.

when this scene first started back in the 60s,we were all young.

And even in the 70s and 80s the majority of us were not that old.

But unfortunatly time has caught up with our looks (No offence to us oldies intended)

the youth of today just like the youth of the last 5 decades,want to mix with there own age group.

I was born in the early 50s my parents in the early 20s,do you think i wanted to go with my parents,

to an old time ballroom and dance to vera lynn and Glen Miller.

As it is i think musically Glen Miller was pretty good,but i would not have been scene dead in a place that people my parents age frequented.

There has always been this age gap culture,unfortunatly.

I think this scene maybe has 25 years left in it before it dies out completely.

Its up to us now to keep this scene alive,we can no longer rely on new blood coming into the scene.

As we all get older i think All Nighters will die out altogether.

I for one physically cannot cope with an all nighter anymore.

sees like the majority of you that go to all nighters and critiscise soul venues are about 20 or so years younger than i am.

you wait another 10 years or so,and see if you are so enthusiastic about going to them.

Stu.

Social source share

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So Phil....the obvious (and genuine on my part) question, why did the Burnley allnighter not attract enough numbers wise?

Said it before but think there is a limited shelf life for all nighters with an ageing population and weekenders every other week.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

im talking about great 70s soul that Lifeline definitely doesn't cater for.

If you'd had stepped off of that pedestal that you seem to have built for yourself Paul, and got yourself to Lifeline last Saturday, you'd have heard plenty of great 70's soul included in just about every set. You seem to see yourself as a champion of new music, and whilst I don't doubt you have a broad, eclectic taste, the drum you've been banging has been about a very narrow style that you believe is missing from upfront all-nighters. This position completely overlooks the great new 60's tunes that have been played, which for a new music advocate, seems to me to be a little limiting. Your main gripe appears to be that your preferred style of music isn't played nearly as much as you think it deserves to be. You then make a ridiculous statement that you wouldn't want your records to be played at all-nighters... ffs make your mind up.

You're also wide of the mark on your statement on Lifeline music policy. Tell me another all-nighter venue that plays 60's beat ballads through to soulful house, and every other style and tempo in between in the same room. Whilst the core of the music played there is undoubtedly rare 60's, there's room for all other styles, and DJs a re given a free rein to play across the board.

I'm also tired of this small room versus main room debate, it's plainly obvious to everyone that it's far easier to play relatively unknown tunes to a smaller audience, so what's new ? As for your generalisation of big name DJs who in your world don't venture out of their main room comfort, you must know that that's far too broad a statement to hold much credence. I know plenty of main room DJs that also play and spend time in smaller rooms, and relish having freedom that the big floor rooms don't always allow.

It must be really frustrating to know that you're right, and everyone else just doesn't get it.

Social source share

Guest karen b

not to mention kids pissing them selves at middle aged people jumping around in big skirts and fat middle aged blokes dancing around sporting jackets and bags full of badges .

A million miles away from the soul scene I am onyes.gif,

and the reason why I keep what I do for approx 50 weekends a year totally under wraps.

I am misrepresented by the retro clothing that has been re introduced as people

have suddenly come back in and started being vocal to the media etc.

Conversation with a friend after seeing an add for ''Northern Soul Clothing''

yes a real add!!!!!

ME: What do you call NS clothing?

HIM: MMMM, not sure. What do you call NS clothing?

ME: Anything I leave the house in.................

and thats it.

We have managed for over thirty years without it, and

whilst people spend money on Mugs, Coasters,Bags and Cuckoo Clocks, trews etc,

They are obviously not spending on records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not supposed tobe a rant but there is an ever expanding chasm between what I

choose to do and have to now call rare black soul music,

as opposed to where my heart and roots are Northern Soul.

Karen

Social source share

and the reason why I keep what I do for approx 50 weekends a year totally under wraps.

yes a real add!!!!!

and thats it.

Karen

Karen,

I have worn vintage clothing for 30 years...........................& just like you..................that's what i wear everyday & to go out in.................... i don't wear high street clothing, i never see anything i like :unsure:

So all i can say is.............................TOUGH!................folk can wear whatever they want to wear :yes:

Was this thread about allnighters :unsure: ........................Not what's in other people's wardrobe's :D

There has been sooo many threads on this subject! :yes:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

The answer? check out the lookbacks......Sunday afternoons.......yes.giflaugh.gif sad but true.......

Got to go and sign on.

I can think of one soul night that shuts a 1am and it has many travellers, from as far as Scotland and London, Boomerang at Canal Tavern, Thorne. Sean Hampseys Just Soul has it's share of Travellers too from what I hear. No doubt there are other examples too of people travelling to Soul Nights.
Social source share

A million miles away from the soul scene I am on:yes:,

yes a real add!!!!!

and thats it.

Karen

yet another quote that every soulie on the planet MUST agree with........THE ONLY REAL "NORTHERN THING" IS........THE RECORD.....EVERYTHING ELSE WAS CREATED AFTER IT!

ROB.H

Social source share

I can think of one soul night that shuts a 1am and it has many travellers, from as far as Scotland and London, Boomerang at Canal Tavern, Thorne. Sean Hampseys Just Soul has it's share of Travellers too from what I hear. No doubt there are other examples too of people travelling to Soul Nights.

i can as well chalks,......BRIGHOUSE RITZ, STILL QUEUEING.....12 YEARS NOT OUT AND IT ALWAYS FINISHES AT 1, WE STAY OVERNIGHT AND ITS A 212 MILE ROUND TRIP.

ROB.H

Social source share

I don't drive but i am willing to spend an overnight stay in a hotel somewhere,just to go to a good soul night that finishes at 2.am.

I know i am more fortunate than some of you, i no longer have the expense of children and stuff as they have now grown up and fled the nest.

But unfortunatly time has caught up with our looks (No offence to us oldies intended)

the youth of today just like the youth of the last 5 decades,want to mix with there own age group.

I was born in the early 50s my parents in the early 20s,do you think i wanted to go with my parents,

As it is i think musically Glen Miller was pretty good,but i would not have been scene dead in a place that people my parents age frequented.

Its up to us now to keep this scene alive,we can no longer rely on new blood coming into the scene.

sees like the majority of you that go to all nighters and critiscise soul venues are about 20 or so years younger than i am.

you wait another 10 years or so,and see if you are so enthusiastic about going to them.

Stu.

im about the same age as u 53 i was born i still enjoy my allnighters for me personally i can still cope with allnighters physically as well as mentally, i love my soul nights im seeing alot of young people on the scene now and they seem to be enjoying themselves.

Billy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

most soul nights are boring most nighters aint yes.gif

some soul nights aint boring some nighters are yes.gif

me i love me nighters and i like the odd soul night but wherever i go 90% of the time its for the music the other 10% is because nothing else is worth travelling for so a good night on the beer and the craic with close friends where i can wear me ipod and dance to stuff i cant hear aint such a bad thing biggrin.gif

too many peps i know dont do nighters cos they cant last past 2 am so a good soul night for them is enough even if they always do moan like fook the music was shite laugh.gif

Social source share

Sean Hampseys Just Soul has it's share of Travellers too from what I hear.

Thanks for the plug Chalky. :ohmy:

Our event has people travel from all over the UK, places as far apart as South London and Middlesbrough.

Just for the record though, we play music until 2:00am... and then spend another hour saying goodnight :D.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Thanks for the plug Chalky. thumbsup.gif

Our event has people travel from all over the UK, places as far apart as South London and Middlesbrough.

Just for the record though, we play music until 2:00am... and then spend another hour saying goodnight biggrin.gif.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hi Sean.....can wholeheartedly recommend Just soul ....the last hr is specialbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Some of you need to read other posts properly before jumping in and going off on one. My earlier point was, we seem to have come to the conclusion that most of us can't or no longer want to do allnighters. My assumption then was, ok, if we ran a soul night playing rare, upfront, lesser known, allnighter music, then surely everyone would flock there?

Chalky, I have never been to Thorne, so I don't feel entitled to comment, but isn't it mainly crossover / 70's there? Same with the other venue Just Soul isn't it?

I wasn't talking about oldies soul nights, as many of these don't have a problem as they are full of casual soulies or handbaggers....

Phil.

Social source share

Chalky, I have never been to Thorne, so I don't feel entitled to comment, but isn't it mainly crossover / 70's there? Same with the other venue Just Soul isn't it?

Phil,

I book all the DJ's for Boomerang and never really wanted it to be a Crossover/70s venue. Ideally, as advertised it should be a mix of mainly 60's and 70's soul, not bound by where it got played first or any of that sort of thing that we foreigners never bothered with when running nights or playing out :ohmy: . Hence, I also used the tag 'quality' to broaden it to various soul styles from those decades and to loosely describe darn 'good soul music' as trusted in the hands of those asked to play there.

That is the music policy, but there are nights where a certain decade is favoured by the dancers and it's hard to keep the balance, or certain dj's favour certain sounds.

Best way to judge it for yourself, is to scroll through the playlists from our last 12* nights .........[ CLICK HERE TO VIEW ]

Karen & I also try and bring some of what we like in other respects to the night, and pleased to say that many have described it as a friendly night too.

m

(* read that as 13 once I add the Feb-10 playlists ...oops!)

Edited by Maria O
Social source share

yes a real add!!!!!

and thats it.

Karen

i couldnt agree more karen but i think the damage has already been done . now and again i go and enjoy a drink at one of the reminiscer clubs i have nothing against them and have friends on that scene but why they have to where clothes that date back to 75 i canot for the life of me understand

Social source share

Phil,

I book all the DJ's for Boomerang and never really wanted it to be a Crossover/70s venue. Ideally, as advertised it should be a mix of mainly 60's and 70's soul, not bound by where it got played first or any of that sort of thing that we foreigners never bothered with when running nights or playing out :wink: . Hence, I also used the tag 'quality' to broaden it to various soul styles from those decades and to loosely describe darn 'good soul music' as trusted in the hands of those asked to play there.

That is the music policy, but there are nights where a certain decade is favoured by the dancers and it's hard to keep the balance, or certain dj's favour certain sounds.

Best way to judge it for yourself, is to scroll through the playlists from our last 12* nights .........[ CLICK HERE TO VIEW ]

Karen & I also try and bring some of what we like in other respects to the night, and pleased to say that many have described it as a friendly night too.

m

(* read that as 13 once I add the Feb-10 playlists ...oops!)

Maria I hold my hands up in admiration to anyone that can make a soul night a success without playing the classics. I have read your play lists, and I am aware of your Dj's and know a lot of your punters. That's why I made the assumption that your music policy seemed to have a more crossover / 70's bias. Because the people who love your night tend to prefer that style of music. That was my reasoning on why you were successful. If that's not the case then I am sorry.

Phil.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: NOPE I THINK ITS BECAUSE SOME OV EM,,THINK THEY OWN THE SCENE,,N U AFTA GO WER THEY SAY..EEERRR NOPE..THEY LUV THE POWER RUSH..WWWEEEEEEEE.thumbsup.gif

now this is the question .... surely the only excuse for starting a new night is if musically you're going to offer something no one else in the area does

Social source share

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Just Soul is a straightforward Soul Night.

It's not a 70's night or a Crossover night - nor is it a Northern Soul night.

We have no guest DJ's. We're just four Soul fans who play really great music.

We've over 150 years of collecting between us - and tens of thousands of Soul records to go at, spanning five decades.

Some of what we play is rare, some of it is common, some of it is exclusive.... all of it is real Soul music.

Quality is the only criteria.

And Soul lovers come from all over the country to hear it.

Sounds played and to be played include the following:-

• Willie Walker - Runaround
  • Spencer Wiggins - Breaking Point
  • Curtis Mayfield - No Thing On Me
  • William Bollinger - I Won't Have To Cry No More
  • Sam Dees - Funny
  • Bobby Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog
  • Candi Staton - One More Hurt
  • Lee Reynolds - Love Comes From Above
  • Bobby Womack - Runaway
  • Four Tops - Still Water
  • Inell Young - I've Never Considered
  • Paul Kelly - You Make Me Tremble
  • Betty Everett - Getting Mighty Crowded
  • Deena - Bring Your Lovin' Back
  • Willie Hutch - Sho' Give You love
  • Dan Greer - You're Slipping Away
  • Otis Clay - Nothing To Look Forward To
  • Sharon Jones - I Learned The Hard Way
  • Marshall McQueen - Any Woman Can Tell

.... and loads more.

If you'd like to know more, visit www.JustSoul.co.uk

But in short, we're not running a 'Northern Soul' night nor are we holding a 70's or crossover event.

It's a Soul night, playing only the very best, authentic, Black American soul music that we can find.

It's 'Grown up' Soul.

'Gloves off' Soul.

Just Soul.

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Phil,

Just Soul is a straightforward Soul Night.

It's not a 70's night or a Crossover night - nor is it a Northern Soul night.

We have no guest DJ's. We're just four Soul fans who play really great music.

We've over 150 years of collecting between us - and tens of thousands of Soul records to go at, spanning five decades.

Some of what we play is rare, some of it is common, some of it is exclusive.... all of it is real Soul music.

Quality is the only criteria.

And Soul lovers come from all over the country to hear it.

Sounds played and to be played include the following:-

• Willie Walker - Runaround
  • Spencer Wiggins - Breaking Point
  • Curtis Mayfield - No Thing On Me
  • William Bollinger - I Won't Have To Cry No More
  • Sam Dees - Funny
  • Bobby Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog
  • Candi Staton - One More Hurt
  • Lee Reynolds - Love Comes From Above
  • Bobby Womack - Runaway
  • Four Tops - Still Water
  • Inell Young - I've Never Considered
  • Paul Kelly - You Make Me Tremble
  • Betty Everett - Getting Mighty Crowded
  • Deena - Bring Your Lovin' Back
  • Willie Hutch - Sho' Give You love
  • Dan Greer - You're Slipping Away
  • Otis Clay - Nothing To Look Forward To
  • Sharon Jones - I Learned The Hard Way
  • Marshall McQueen - Any Woman Can Tell

.... and loads more.

If you'd like to know more, visit www.JustSoul.co.uk

But in short, we're not running a 'Northern Soul' night nor are we holding a 70's or crossover event.

It's a Soul night, playing only the very best, authentic, Black American soul music that we can find.

It's 'Grown up' Soul.

'Gloves off' Soul.

Just Soul.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Thanks Sean, but my point is, it's not what you would call allnighter music is it? Which in my humble opinion should be, mainly 60's, in your face, get up and fookin dance music. That's what I'm talking about......yes.gif

Social source share

Thanks Sean, but my point is, it's not what you would call allnighter music is it? Which in my humble opinion should be, mainly 60's, in your face, get up and fookin dance music. That's what I'm talking about......yes.gif

No Phil, it's not what most people would call allnighter music.

It's Just Soul.

And the dancefloor is rammed... all night... (or at least until we chuck them out) biggrin.gif

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

yes in deed there are other examples that atract travellers :ohmy:

Social source share

No Phil, it's not what most people would call allnighter music.

It's Just Soul.

And the dancefloor is rammed... all night... (or at least until we chuck them out) biggrin.gif

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Well I can't speak.......personally I would rather have my toe nails pulled out with a pair of rusty pliers than listen to, let alone dance to that, but it just goes to prove how splintered a bunch we really are in our musical taste. I congratulate you on your success, and bow to your superior knowledge........ What the fook do I know.......no.gifrolleyes.gif ........very little it seems.

Edited by Phil Kowalski
Social source share

Thanks Sean, but my point is, it's not what you would call allnighter music is it? Which in my humble opinion should be, mainly 60's, in your face, get up and fookin dance music. That's what I'm talking about......:yes:

Phil I totally 100% agree with you thumbsup.gif

And I thought this thread was about the state of the nighter scene

and not some plugging session for f***ing soul nites :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Stu.

Yes indeed...

People will travel far for an event that aint an all niter if they think the quality is there, they book hotels/ stay with freinds/ make a weekend of it with maybe another event the night after or before..

Thats the trouble sometimes, people make sweeping statements based on the way they think.....

I can think of many events over the last few years and non niter that people would travel a distance to get to...

Good to see some feedback and wish more folk would post on the subject, can't get an overall feel while its just the same members letting us know how they see things...

Social source share

but why they have to where clothes that date back to 75 i canot for the life of me understand

Possibly because they like them! :thumbup:

Other than the Soul nights, i go out on the Rockabilly nights, because i like the music & the 1950s clothing, cars etc :yes:

Can someone tell me why this gets mentioned on nearly every thread on here???

But getting back to allnighters...........................The one's that i have been to i have really enjoyed, because i have had a chance to meet up with friends that i don't see that often, whilst dancing to some great music..............................Ginger Taylor is probably fed up with me asking for The Antellects, but top man for playing it! :hatsoff2:

And for me....................that's what it's all about!

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

and not some plugging session for f***ing soul nites hatsoff2.gif

The comparison between soul nites and all nighter's was brought up.Sean's merely stood his corner as to why Just Soul attracts a travelling crowd.Whether you or Phil like it,its happening.

Social source share

and not some plugging session for f***ing soul nites hatsoff2.gif

But soul nights are part of the issue whether you like it or not. Boomerang for instance has Butch on doing a two hour stint (hardly 70's/crossover either), many travel to Boomerang and similar events who also book top dj's and it does have an effect on the attendance at allnighters. The same for weekenders.

Social source share

But soul nights are part of the issue whether you like it or not. Boomerang for instance has Butch on doing a two hour stint (hardly 70's/crossover either), many travel to Boomerang and similar events who also book top dj's and it does have an effect on the attendance at allnighters. The same for weekenders.

thumbsup.gif

...and there I was thinking that the only difference between a soul night and and all-nighter was the dawn coming up... it seems now that the music has to be different too....

...and since when has it been compulsory to have banging 60's throughout an all-nighter... rolleyes.gif

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

thumbsup.gif

...and since when has it been compulsory to have banging 60's throughout an all-nighter... rolleyes.gif

Never. There's always been slow to mid-tempos through every decade whether the Wheel, Torch, Casino, Cleethorpes, Stafford, 100 Club etc, etc. The scene's never been about purely 100mph banging 60's to my knowledge...........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

...and there I was thinking that the only difference between a soul night and and all-nighter was the dawn coming up... it seems now that the music has to be differentent too....

It never has and never will be for the venues with longevity. One of the problems with pigeon-holing yourself as the Burnley Allnighter did at the beginning is that you run the risk of ignoring a slice of your potential audience. That's fine if you've 250 through the door every nighter but once the numbers settle you're left with the stark choice of: stick to what YOU want to hear or adapt in order to survive the financial implications. Thing is ...none of this is new, I remember the same discussions in 1977!

For the group of people who are constantly bemoaning the way that other people enjoy their music the answer is simple. Put your money where your mouth is and run your own venue, your way, with the music you like on your own terms. Principles, politics are all fine but a fair percentage of 'gripers' are fair weather contributors who once they realise they're actually a small percentage of the 'scene' and that only a handful of people are likeminded, fold at the first hurdle.

As for 'Allnighter music' . He He! It gets better and better on here! Good comedy writes itself! :thumbup:

Is there any Alldayer music? Or is it just 'Allnighter' music played earlier in the Earth's daily rotation?

Get the blinkers off peeps......you miss so much that black America has still to offer from it's studios/vaults.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

As for 'Allnighter music' . He He! It gets better and better on here! Good comedy writes itself! :laugh:

Is there any Alldayer music? Or is it just 'Allnighter' music played earlier in the Earth's daily rotation?

Get the blinkers off peeps......you miss so much that black America has still to offer from it's studios/vaults.

Regards,

Dave

thumbsup.gif:yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert