Dave Thorley

• Replies 38
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The guys included this in their repertoire at a recent music festival in Concorde with an attendance of 20,000 people.

Sadly the voice of Natural Impulse wasn't present. As the late Hank Oden passed away in 2008.

Dave

Soul Junction

but nothing wrong with that singer, Dave!

It's that sax break half way thorugh that pulls it alltogether for me. nice one :-)

Social source share

but nothing wrong with that singer, Dave!

It's that sax break half way thorugh that pulls it alltogether for me. nice one :-)

Nothing wrong at all Dave mate, that's my buddy Rick singing on that clip :hatsoff2:

The 45 release is the orginal 70's take which featured Hank on lead vocals, it's just a crying shame he isn't with us to see the

appreciation of his and the other guys output finally gaining a release.

Dave

Soul Junction

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Whats the story on it Dave?

unrelased studio acetate or master tape find ???

best new mordern thing Ive heard in ages.. :thumbsup:

love it...

the gasher

Alright Folks

Here's the story behind the unreleased Natural Impulse tracks:

The Natural Impulse had been a high school band who performed and built a growing reputation in and around the Richmond area of California. Performing under the name of the Third Rail (a name taken from the Bay Area Rapid Transit Power Rail), they later re-named the group the Natural Impulse following a legal dispute with a rock band who'd released an album as the Third Rail.

In 1977 they recorded a solitary 45 release, the now famous "She Went Away" which was little more than a vanity release of 350 copies to sell at their gigs. Although they had recorded several other songs at the time. Which we later found out about to our delight when the master tapes arrived for "She Went Away". Upon sending the tapes down to Nick Robbins at Sound Mastering we received an e-mail back asking us if we realised they contained a whole session of other unreleased tracks! No we didn't !

A flat transfer was taken off and sent back to the states for the guys to hear. A great find in it's self, but the guys still maintained there was still some other master tapes missing.

Then one of those quirk's of fate we all love to hear about, intervened.

Jesus (Jess) Gonzales the bass guitarist of Natural Impulse while sorting out some items to donate to a local charity, came across an old cassette player. Luckily for us all he had the presence of mind to open it up. Upon doing so he discovered that it still contained a cassette tape and thus played it. To his delight he found it contained three missing tracks, two of which we have released on this 45. "We're Gonna Make Through" and the more funk orientated "Make It Or Break It"

Dave

Soul Junction

Edited by Louise
Social source share

not sure if you talked to him but when i talked to paul stubblebine... some years back... he said that he had a reel of the bands music and didnt want to do anything with it until he had spoken to the band about it.

hes easy to find. just type his name into google and youll find his homepage.

nice job!

Social source share

not sure if you talked to him but when i talked to paul stubblebine... some years back... he said that he had a reel of the bands music and didnt want to do anything with it until he had spoken to the band about it.

hes easy to find. just type his name into google and youll find his homepage.

nice job!

Thanks for the information Jinx,

But we've already been in contact , oh! and before every man and his dog start bombarding the poor guy with e-mails after copies of the 45, I think you'l find he's already been hit. :thumbsup:

Dave

Soul Junction

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Hi Folks

Check out the website: www.souljunctionrecords.co.uk

To see photo's of Natural Impulse back in the 70's and also to hear, the sound clips of both "Were Gonna Make It Through" and the funk flipside "Make It Or Break It" :unsure:

Dave

Soul Junction

Absolutely wonderful live on those clips - wonder if someone could bring them out to the UK?

Ordered my copy to buy too... it's an instant gratification sound!

m

Social source share

Just been away for three weeks and returned to find this 45 on me doorstep :thumbsup:

Wow! What a tune!

Gonna be a big un without a doubt

If it's limited to 500 like all the other SJ 45's, this will sell out in days rather than weeks methinks!

Put me down for some Dave as i canny wait to get it on site

Definitely going to play it on Friday at The Ridgway too :ohmy:

Cheers

Steve

www.soulmusic.co.uk

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Massive thanks Dave W. my pre-release copy will get played next weekend at both the Wakefield and Edinburgh all dayers, plus the following Sunday at my own place in Sheffield at the 'Lost Soul Club'

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Only 1 week to go before the release of Natural Impulse, the feed back from the advance promotion has been phenomenal :thumbsup:

Advance orders are now being taken.

Could Christian Zatterstrom and Chris Williams please get in touch via:

salea@souljunctionrecords.co.uk or souljunction@blueyonder.co.uk

As we are having problems replying to your enquiry's, thanks

Dave

Soul Junction

Social source share

Plus I played it on the show last Sunday too.......

1st Hour

Eric Benet ft Eddie Levert - Paid

Maurice Joshua ft Andrea Love More Love Maurice Joshua Main Mix

Archie Bell & The Drells Let's Groove J*ski Extended Remix

The O'Jays This Time Baby Scratchandsniff Re-Edit

Westcoast All-Stars ft Eli & Janne Show Me Love

One Way Didn't You Know It

Dolette McDonald (X-Tra) Special

Jimmy & Vela Cameron Be Fair To Me

Delegation Put A Little Love On Me

Johnny Bristol Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me Idjut Boys Re-Edit

2nd Hour

Felice Taylor It May Be Winter Outside

The Invitations Skiing In The Snow

Lee David Temptation's Calling My Name

The Uptights Shy Guy Alternative Take

Linda Jones I Just Can't Live My Life

Charles Russell It Ain't Easy

Natural Impulse We're Gonna Make It Through

Bettye Swann When The Game Is Played On You

S.O.U.L. feat Larry Hancock This Time Around

Eric Benet Sometimes I Cry

Sharon Paige with Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes Hope That We Can Be Together Soon

Jean Shy We've Got A Good Thing Going

Judy Clay & William Bell Private Number

Al Green Call Me (Come Back Home)

Zion Train - Rise

Johnnie Taylor What About My Love Deadly Sins Re-Edit

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2010-11-28-Starpoint.mp3

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest Natural Impulse

I am so glad that everyone is grooving on our music. We are currently in the studio finishing clean up on some other tracks that we have found. We also have spend a number of sessions adding horns, keys and new vocals to some old drum, bass and guitar tracks we found. My buddy, Dave Welding will keep you appraised of any new released planed in the future. As for coming to the UK, we would be honored to come out and do a couple of shows. We still have the funk and are anxious to share this great music with you. This is a current photo of the band.

Rick Ramos

Guitarist, singer and producer

Natural Impulse

post-22505-0-87885400-1291958604_thumb.j

Social source share

Source Advert