Oldies- How Low Will You Go

After raiding me motown and 6ts youth club classics on saturday for a oldies night, , I was wondering where's the cut off for some of you lot? Where do you draw the line? the snake? landslide? Chairmen of the board? Band of gold, LOL. There's tune's we'd all cringe at, but, what do you think you can get away with? or again where is the cut off, as someone once said 'I'd do anything for northern but I wont play that!' Perhaps some alternative ideas on familier ( to everyone) but not so overplayed tunes might be a hoot too.

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest lambrettanik

i wonder if iam the only one who would be made up if that wrank filson ditty was cast into the bowels of hades!?i hate this track-do i love you? indeed i dont!!!.there is a couple of famous dj's who's current selection of tracks from their vast collections have been scraping the barrel of soulful decencey for a few years now.if its under played oldies your looking for? how about-wooden nickels nobody but you.lil john heartbreaking time,the hurt freddie north,roosevelt grier in my tennement,betty wright prophecy,

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

being a person that frequents oldies venues every week, you can garauntee on hearing ...gone with the wind ...time...there was a time,they do absolutely nothing for me anymore?.Im all for hearing blasts from the pasts that doesnt get a regular play.I was at kwh sat just gone and a dj called chris brooke did a guest spot,in his set he played one or two things we dont hear alot in the east mids ? amongst his set he played the [sweet things / im in a world of troubles] not heard that for a while and it sounded superb. Im in support of dj,s playing in an hour set 4 or 5 lesser played oldies.

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

i wonder if iam the only one who would be made up if that wrank filson ditty was cast into the bowels of hades!?i hate this track-do i love you? indeed i dont!!!.there is a couple of famous dj's who's current selection of tracks from their vast collections have been scraping the barrel of soulful decencey for a few years now.if its under played oldies your looking for? how about-wooden nickels nobody but you.lil john heartbreaking time,the hurt freddie north,roosevelt grier in my tennement,betty wright prophecy,

brilliant choice there with the [wooden nickles / nobody but you].

Social source share

good point , but from my limited experience as a dj, when ever i played forgotten wigan oldies etc, the dance floor just emptied, so you had to revert to the same old, same old, just to fill it again,..otherwise you look stupid,..when infact it were the punters who where, unknowledegable, and inexperienced, and didnt appreceiate what was being spun,..tis the old cheastnut im afraid.

Social source share

After raiding me motown and 6ts youth club classics on saturday for a oldies night, , I was wondering where's the cut off for some of you lot? Where do you draw the line? the snake? landslide? Chairmen of the board? Band of gold, LOL. There's tune's we'd all cringe at, but, what do you think you can get away with? or again where is the cut off, as someone once said 'I'd do anything for northern but I wont play that!' Perhaps some alternative ideas on familier ( to everyone) but not so overplayed tunes might be a hoot too.

Find me a newly discovered 60's soul record as good as Landslide and then we can all cringe as you simply won't anymore I don't care what anyone says.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

:D ...............there's something strangely alluring about a dancefloor that is buzzing to the likes of 'Stoned Love' etc. Think in this case--its not overplayed 'norvern' classics but more a case of underplayed yoof club choons. Apples peaches, ....Ready now,....Sweetest Feeling,....Blue Skies etc etc are the staple ones that come to mind. BUT what would be thought of as underplayed 'yoofie' sounds.

..Careful now one might have to admit frequenting such events :D :D :D ..or having a sneaky fondness for such tunes, :D

..Played at the right sort of gig.I quite like some of the early 70's philly stuff .....................

Social source share

Perhaps some alternative ideas on familier ( to everyone) but not so overplayed tunes might be a hoot too.

Not sure if this is what you were meaning but heard on the radio the other day Staple Singers - If You're Ready (Come Go With Me), never thought this a "northern" tune but with changing tastes over years thought it sounded great, all be it a very available chart tune.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm sure it has been said on here many times. But as long as the DJ is using their imagination, then no tune is off limits.

Social source share

:D ...............there's something strangely alluring about a dancefloor that is buzzing to the likes of 'Stoned Love' etc. Think in this case--its not overplayed 'norvern' classics but more a case of underplayed yoof club choons. Apples peaches, ....Ready now,....Sweetest Feeling,....Blue Skies etc etc are the staple ones that come to mind. BUT what would be thought of as underplayed 'yoofie' sounds.

..Careful now one might have to admit frequenting such events :D :D :D ..or having a sneaky fondness for such tunes, :D

..Played at the right sort of gig.I quite like some of the early 70's philly stuff .....................

I wouldn't mind hearing Westbound No 9 played, not heard it since 73/74 :)

Social source share

Not sure if this is what you were meaning but heard on the radio the other day Staple Singers - If You're Ready (Come Go With Me), never thought this a "northern" tune but with changing tastes over years thought it sounded great, all be it a very available chart tune.

I always think of this as pre-Wigan,was aware of this from being a young un.Sure it gets plays at Just Soul.

As for "Band of Gold", i have fond memories of this going to NO1 in the charts.(in that era as well "Hey girl dont bother me,Sweetest feeling,I spy for the FBI,and loads of Motown).

I call these "club" sounds.The sounds that dont quite (now) fit an oldies NS night.I'd be disappointed if i went to a venue advertised as "oldies" and these were played though.

Social source share

Played Mel & Tim-Backfield In Motion out the other week & it sounded great & got people talking,just what an underplayed tune should do in my opionion.

I have agree with Macho if you stray too far away from Wigan oldies expect to play to an empty floor,pity really.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Ironic really I've heard wooden nickels at the last 3 soul nights Ive been to, and If I hear Delagates of soul again I'll scream, certain rare soul tunes are as over played as Frank wilson.

Social source share

What would be wrong with playing different versions of some of the better known "yoof club choons"....

The Traits "Harlem Shufle" & The Blue Sharks "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" are both great examples.

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

2 tracks i never get tired of hearing are i go to pieces-gerri granger(classic example of a yoof club dancer 4 me) and sweeter than the day before-valentinos.under played oldies wise how about dickie wonder nobody knows or larry wright sweet sweet kisses,gentlemen and their ladies-like her or are these too uptempo for todays tastes?

Social source share

I'm sure it has been said on here many times. But as long as the DJ is using their imagination, then no tune is off limits.

absolutley spot on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Old Soul

Find me a newly discovered 60's soul record as good as Landslide and then we can all cringe as you simply won't anymore I don't care what anyone says.

Mark Bicknell.

i was at Davys Sheffield on Saturday and this record was played by Sam Evens, (a great DJ and Dancer) i know its one that some people will not play at any price, but she did and the dancers just kept on dancing. dare I say its one of the records i cut my teeth on many many years ago, and it still gets my feet moving on the few occasions I hear it today...so total agree with the comment above...KTF

Social source share

Blue Sharks, a youth club tune? I'll always associate it with Soul Sam and the main hall at St.Ives. Westbound Nº 9 is indeed a great tune and I still get transported to our youthclub circa 74 when I hear things like The Poppies 'He's Got Real Love', Lee Andrews & The Hearts 'I've Had It' and Faye Ross 'Faith Hope & Trust'. I wouldn't know if they see much action at Oldies nights though.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Mark Bicknell.

rather typical remark from someone who don,t go out.......try listening to one or two andy dyson plays in his set and plenty more that others play at dance venues.......that kinda make landslide (good as it is :thumbsup: ) a bit ordinary sounding

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not sure l can agree with that........you have to have the right dj,s for the right type of crowd.......otherwise total disaster

Social source share

Blue Sharks, a youth club tune? I'll always associate it with Soul Sam and the main hall at St.Ives. Westbound Nº 9 is indeed a great tune and I still get transported to our youthclub circa 74 when I hear things like The Poppies 'He's Got Real Love', Lee Andrews & The Hearts 'I've Had It' and Faye Ross 'Faith Hope & Trust'. I wouldn't know if they see much action at Oldies nights though.

The Marvellettes - "These Things" was a youth club tune, along with most of the other Motown things, I was just pointing out you could maybe play other versions of some well known youth club tunes and not have any problems getting away with it! We had a couple of all nighters at our youth club in Wombourne in the mid 70s, and there were quite a few people who went to wigan, collected records, and took them to the Youth club "disco" for the DJ to play, so there a actually quite a few things that I could class as a youth club tune that might surprise you!

Social source share

Told this story enough times

Djd at gennas in Dundee after an hour of motown - First record - Everybody push & pull - Judson moore (Brilliant record IMOand before it became quite popular) - The dance floor died and took my at least 2-3 records to get it back again. The night before I was asking my mate The gasher should I take some oldies with me ? Glad I did as I put Linda Jones -Just cant live my life. The showmen Our love and a few other classics. I think its a delicate balance in some venues to please all but vthere are some you will never change and the question is - Should I attempt to seeing as the promoters are giving me some remuneration for playing stuff I love and stuff I loved in the past. However If someone asks me to play Joe 90 or Tim Tam & Turn ons - I would politely ask them to GTF!

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Its all about the venues you attend by the looks of it.Wooden nickles freddie north roosevelt grier betty wright dickie wonder valentinos gerri grainger etc,all regular spins in bolton wigan area.

Social source share

i was at Davys Sheffield on Saturday and this record was played by Sam Evens, (a great DJ and Dancer) i know its one that some people will not play at any price, but she did and the dancers just kept on dancing. dare I say its one of the records i cut my teeth on many many years ago, and it still gets my feet moving on the few occasions I hear it today...so total agree with the comment above...KTF

What was it?

Social source share

Wolly Bully - Sam the Sham was played at the Tenerife 'soul in the sun' and packed the floor.

You cant get more YUUFF CLUB and less SOUL than that.

Still, it keeps getting souled out, so the 'anything goes' policy must please most of the folks most of the time.

Ed

Christ almighty!!!.."waltzer" music......

Social source share

I think its time for list :ohmy::wicked:

EDDIE FLOYD---BRING IT ON HOME TO ME

NEWBEATS RUN BABY RUN

DORIS TROY I'LL DO ANYTHING

TAMMI LYNN I'M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU

CHIFFONS SWEET TALKING GUY

MARVIN GAYE LITTLE DARLIN

DRIFTERS SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME

SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES

DON COVAY SEE SAW

DOBIE GRAY IN CROWD

RAMSEY LEWIS WADE IN WATER

ROBERT KNIGHT LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP

ARTHUR CONLEY FUNKY STREET

ROUND ROBIN KICK THAT LITTLE FOOT...ETC

LOS BRAVOS BLACK IS BLACK

BOOKER T TIME IS TIGHT

BOB WILSON SUZY'S SERANADE

HONEYCONE WHILE YOU'RE OUT LOOKING FOR SUGAR

EARL VAN DYKE 6X6

ALL FOR YOU

....AND THE LIST GOES ON

OH AND TAKE YOUR PICK OF ANYTHING FROM MOTOWN CHARTBUSTER VOL 2-5 :sweatingbullets:

Now there's some backing music for ya Table Tennis :D :D

....Now then have we got any underplayed yoof club choons

SPENCER DAVIS TRAMPOLINE --PERHAPS

Sapphires ---got to have your love maybe

Intruders---- Up and down the ladder

Esther Philips---What a difference a day makes

Joe Simon---No sad songs

Bill Deal ---I've been Hurt

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

George Benson - supership

I heard someone play Judy Street "What" in the main ballroom at Brid weekender too, and i must admit, after not hearing it for the last 30 years, it didnt sound too bad, went down a storm too!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Anyone who says they won't play a record in any circumstances should sell it. Why would anyone own a record they wouldn't play out?

If I go an oldies do I expect to hear oldies and I don't care which as long as I like them, in fact i'd quite like to hear Barnaby Bye a bit more often (if any coop DJs are reading this can you play it on 13th?) :thumbsup:

As for DJing myself, if I have it with me i'll play it if requested. Nothing I own is ruled out. :thumbsup:

There's a time and a place for every record i'd say.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

One "club" tune that i can always forgive is Willie Tee - "Walking up a one way street"...i'm a big softie at heart...

brilliant, underrated sound, i love it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Time and place; its all about the time and the place.

I've seen Carl Willingham fill a dance floor with 'The Snake'. You can be as 'progressive' as you like but you have to give them at least some of what they want on any given day.

Anybody would fill the floor with the snake at a oldies nite, im afraid

Social source share

Its all about the venues you attend by the looks of it.Wooden nickles freddie north roosevelt grier betty wright dickie wonder valentinos gerri grainger etc,all regular spins in bolton wigan area.

Totally agree with you here Andy, its a regional thing, i was at a venue a few months ago and Jimmy radcliffe-Breakaway, was played the guy i was sat with, a well known dj commented by saying "god ive not heard this for ages" yet it gets hammered upour neck of the woods :thumbsup:

Social source share

Anybody would fill the floor with the snake at a oldies nite, im afraid

Why do you say "I'm afraid". If that's what they want then give it to them surely?

It may not be your cup of tea but as I say every record has a time and a place, and DJ's should recognise that. I'd also like dancers to recognise that even if I don't dance all night I've paid as much to get in as them so my opinion counts just as much.

It was actually at an all-dayer not an 'Oldies Night' and a real mixed crowd, first event at the venue I believe so no past reputation to go on when packing his DJ box I'm sure. Thing is Carl had the intellegence and emotional security to firstly have it in his box and secondly to play it when it was requested. I'm sure its not in Carl's top 1,000 records and yes its a bit passe but at that moment in that venue it worked a treat.

Social source share

Why do you say "I'm afraid". If that's what they want then give it to them surely?

It may not be your cup of tea but as I say every record has a time and a place, and DJ's should recognise that. I'd also like dancers to recognise that even if I don't dance all night I've paid as much to get in as them so my opinion counts just as much.

It was actually at an all-dayer not an 'Oldies Night' and a real mixed crowd, first event at the venue I believe so no past reputation to go on when packing his DJ box I'm sure. Thing is Carl had the intellegence and emotional security to firstly have it in his box and secondly to play it when it was requested. I'm sure its not in Carl's top 1,000 records and yes its a bit passe but at that moment in that venue it worked a treat.

How do you know what they want

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert