Northern Soul - Latin Style ! - Favourite 45 / Album / Recommendations

The Tempest

• Replies 38
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

That Ray Rodiriguez is on a very elusive 45.

Loads of fantastic latin stuff with a northern vibe, some LP only but lots on 45. Tend to find a lot turn up in battered condition, especially the rarer stuff.

A banging "northern" latin number i play a bit (cos it's cheap and im from Yorkshire!!), is this on Alegre...........

Social source share

Most of the stuff on the 'Fania' label :)

Harvey Averne 'Viva Soul' album is great a few choice tracks on there, and not at all expensive (especially from https://www.honestjon...30341&CatID=132)

Oh yeah, ZuZu Man by the ZuZu Blues Band (Dr John) is pure class and never cease to cheer me up when I hear it, and the 1st time I really heard it was on the That Driving Beat 1st anniversary CD - Cheers LJC!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

That Ray Rodiriguez is on a very elusive 45.

Loads of fantastic latin stuff with a northern vibe, some LP only but lots on 45. Tend to find a lot turn up in battered condition, especially the rarer stuff.

A banging "northern" latin number i play a bit (cos it's cheap and im from Yorkshire!!), is this on Alegre...........

Also came out in the UK that one

Social source share

New Swing Sextet Monkey See Monkey Do - Cotique 45

Has anybody actually ever seen this on Cotique 45?

Is it on the Cotique 45 discography listings?

I've got it on Fuentes 45, but don't know anyone who has even seen the Cotique 45?

Eat your banana, eat your banana, eat your banana ....wooh hoo!

Quality.....

Social source share

current faves, but its changing weekly at the moment, but these are some of the things I've featured @ change and down at the Basement Boogaloo. If you into this sound, latin that is, check it Basement boogaloo in Marsh street, Hanley Stoke, next sat till 4AM with me, Johnny, lowrider, Beggs and crowned prince of latin R and B Mace!

Terrible Frankie Neives LP, The latin souls- Tiger Boogaloo LP. Oocho- aponomous LP.

45's wise

eddie palmieri and Cal Tjader- come aND GET IT BABY- tico

cHARLIE pALMIERI AND oRCH- bugalu- Atalantic

Johnny Colon- you gotta love me- cotique

Alfreditto- you tell me that you love me

Mongosantamaria and orch- get the money.

Social source share

Guest Preems

Has anybody actually ever seen this on Cotique 45?

Is it on the Cotique 45 discography listings?

I've got it on Fuentes 45, but don't know anyone who has even seen the Cotique 45?

-yes

I have the Cotique 45, it came from a weird place, basement of the lead male singer of Jefferson Airplane's father LOL, looks like your basic styrene cotique 45, sounds great of course. Did very well last week on the dance floor :D

Eat your banana, eat your banana, eat your banana ....wooh hoo!

Quality.....

Edited by Preems
Social source share

There's quite a few out there, but these are some of my favourites:

First time I heard this it was played by Mace at Driving Beat & sounded awesome,one of my fave tunes at the moment.

Other Latin tunes that do it for me are.......

David Coleman-Drown My Heart

Jack Costanza-Don't Squeeze The Peaches

Manny Corchando-Pow Wow

Harvey Averne-The Word

Lots more that don't come to mind at the moment.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Guest Preems

current faves, but its changing weekly at the moment, but these are some of the things I've featured @ change and down at the Basement Boogaloo. If you into this sound, latin that is, check it Basement boogaloo in Marsh street, Hanley Stoke, next sat till 4AM with me, Johnny, lowrider, Beggs and crowned prince of latin R and B Mace!

Terrible Frankie Neives LP, The latin souls- Tiger Boogaloo LP. Oocho- aponomous LP.

45's wise

eddie palmieri and Cal Tjader- come aND GET IT BABY- tico

cHARLIE pALMIERI AND oRCH- bugalu- Atalantic

Johnny Colon- you gotta love me- cotique

Alfreditto- you tell me that you love me

Mongosantamaria and orch- get the money.

aahhh, Get The Money/ Yeh Yeh SO GOOD!!

Social source share

and just love this one

Is that the album version? Definately an extended intro to the 45 Pt 2 version on flip of the Fania 45.

Pretty sure that the Uptite scan on this Youtube clip you posted only has the Pt1 version (not the one actually playing), which is much slower and nowhere near as good, with a totally different flip?

Pt1 on clip below....

Social source share

Guest Preems

'Kin nice one Preems.....

The Fuentes is tough enough but on Cotique....wow...must be one of the rarest 45s on the label.

Not doubting you but any chance of label scans for an anorak... :) .

took me a minute to figure it out, here we go 6800182712_0973d0fb04.jpg

Social source share

Guest Preems

This is probably my favourite Joe Bataan track......on the flip of Fania 45 release of Special Girl, and also released as Naatab on Uptite 45......

my favorite too, still need one, one of these days

Social source share

my favorite too, still need one, one of these days

Easily sorted, I'll swap ya both my Fania Magic Rose and my Fuentes New Swing Sextet for your Cotique 45, which I now believe to be fairly common :lol:

Will let you know next time I see a Magic Rose up for sale :thumbsup:

Thanks for scan...mighty impressed...great find!

Social source share

Guest Preems

Easily sorted, I'll swap ya both my Fania Magic Rose and my Fuentes New Swing Sextet for your Cotique 45, which I now believe to be fairly common :lol:

Will let you know next time I see a Magic Rose up for sale :thumbsup:

Thanks for scan...mighty impressed...great find!

thanks for that, and the LOLS, and yes please, I need that record! Ok it's nearly 6 am, time to hit it

Social source share

Great dance music......more associated with the mod scene really.

debate on if latin is northern? this time on a friday, nah, lol. you maybe right wiggy, but I'll certainly be spinnin a few prime latino cuts @ change tommorow before the nighter in stoke, whatever you do this weekend, have a good en.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Heres some of mine....just been sorting them out.....great music but northern soul....nah.

That's what the thread was asking for though - your favourite latin tinged northern tracks. Some great one's mentioned so far, and some really nice latin soul tunes (certainly not northern but awesome none the less).

The Jade - Siesta is over, would probably fall into the northern latin style.

Social source share

Is that the album version? Definately an extended intro to the 45 Pt 2 version on flip of the Fania 45. Pretty sure that the Uptite scan on this Youtube clip you posted only has the Pt1 version (not the one actually playing), which is much slower and nowhere near as good, with a totally different flip? Pt1 on clip below....

I always thought the danceable version (upbeat one in the first youtube clip) was the LP version Mace?

Social source share

Yup Pt2 only available on 45 on flip of Fania 45. Just took the time to read the actual description on the first Youtube clip posted with the Uptite label and it's an edit that some-one has done by extending the intro etc. Proper Pt2 clip below...with an added plug for March 10th.... :wink:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I always thought the danceable version (upbeat one in the first youtube clip) was the LP version Mace?

LP version slightly different to that first clip i posted, piano and vocals kick in much sooner and sounds less produced , more raw ,if you know what i mean, this is the full version of the RIOT lp i posted, part 2 starts at about 3:50

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert