I Have A Serious Question

I hope this is the right section, if not please feel free to move it. I look at the soul community and regard ourselves as probably the first generation that has had a life available after forty, soul nights, nighters, weekenders, there's always somewhere available for us to do ''our thing''. Then I note how many times we see RIP notices, and begin to wonder is there a link? Are we paying a heavy price for not growing old gracefully, and if the two are linked, is it a price worth paying?

I suppose what I'm saying is are we unwittingly taxing our bodies beyond their income, as it were? I've no intention of stopping dancing, but thought the possible link, might be worth discussing. What say the rest of you??

Winnie :)

I highlighted certain words, because it's meant to be a discussion, rather than a definitive :thumbsup:

Social source share

Think quite a few Teds / R&R-ers & early mods have enjoyed similar times / scenes.

....... we are all just about baby-boomers though ......

.... if like me you are now aged around 60 to 66 ........

... had it good in the 50's (school, etc), again in the 60's (easy to find decent higher education & jobs, brilliant night life ), more so in the 70's (cheap available mortgages, child allowance, decent NHS service for births), 80's (back on the scene with a soulful lean now the kids were off to Uni, etc), 90's (near the end of regular allnighter attendances but loads of soul weekenders so that was fine), Y2K -- still good ... (internet & yet more soul + decent (for some) pension, chance of early retirement).

So we had it good in each decade ... but those that 'burnt the candle at both ends' for too long OR drank / ate too much OR didn't look after their health ........ WELL lots have fallen by the wayside way too soon.

BUT I'd rather enjoy life while I can than last an extra few months (but check back with me in 10 years to see if I hold the same opinion) !!!

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

i'd rather have 6 months of northern, than 6 years of bingo

if life carry's on once we loose this body, i'd like to be in the never ending fractal niter in deep space with a huge smile on my face...

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

It's a real good point , which i thought about a few weeks back when that guy died on the dance floor at a soul do .

I know there can be a lot of reasons why our numbers are dwindling weight , drugs ,the lack of sleep etc but IMO alcohol and physical exercise is not a good combination

Win there is another generation who still have places to go although i fear they suffer from the RIP word more than we do

That would be the Big Band / ball room dwellers of the 40's and 50's who still have regular "Tea dances" where they can still strut their stuff

Social source share

I think as in all walks of life it depends on the individual.

I suppose if we ask ourselves the question would we want to stay at home for a quiet life, or be stepping about like a mad man/woman to Eddie Parker.. I think the latter perhaps for the majority.

As Smudge has said and if I may quote Jackie Wilson, - 'a lovely way to die'

Social source share

It's a real good point , which i thought about a few weeks back when that guy died on the dance floor at a soul do .

I know there can be a lot of reasons why our numbers are dwindling weight , drugs ,the lack of sleep etc but IMO alcohol and physical exercise is not a good combination

Win there is another generation who still have places to go although i fear they suffer from the RIP word more than we do

That would be the Big Band / ball room dwellers of the 40's and 50's who still have regular "Tea dances" where they can still strut their stuff

I guess they'd suffer far more than us, but that would be down to genuine old age? As you said in the first paragraph, on our scene, it can be driven by all sorts of things, artificial stimulation of some kind or other, being one of the biggest factors, but even though we know that, and most of us are reasonably intelligent, it doesn't seem to stop us. I'm certainly not saying it should, I just can't work out why we're all so obstinate :D :D

Social source share

I hope this is the right section, if not please feel free to move it. I look at the soul community and regard ourselves as probably the first generation that has had a life available after forty, soul nights, nighters, weekenders, there's always somewhere available for us to do ''our thing''. Then I note how many times we see RIP notices, and begin to wonder is there a link? Are we paying a heavy price for not growing old gracefully, and if the two are linked, is it a price worth paying?

I suppose what I'm saying is are we unwittingly taxing our bodies beyond their income, as it were? I've no intention of stopping dancing, but thought the possible link, might be worth discussing. What say the rest of you??

Winnie :)

I highlighted certain words, because it's meant to be a discussion, rather than a definitive :thumbsup:

I dont think there is a link Winston hell look at the the wider world I think we take more notice of who goes as we get older . The soul scene have the tinterweb at fingertips 24/7 hence someone goes and it gets round very fast . I must admit though mate nearly being one of those stats and consider myself still fit i watch some at a do and think some of these are coming close to HA .... blowing and puffin :lol: The ones that do dancing dust may be more at risk these days . more than likely they will already have a blood pressure problem without the powder

Edited by Naughty Boy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

but then there are those i meet mainly at work with heart problems who havnt stayed up all night since they were in their twenties and who have never taken drugs.....lifes a lottery....anything in MODERATION...just enjoy it FFS!.....7 years ago got told i was diabetic so i have to look after myself but as my nurse says...you gotta live too

and their are other 'oldies' still going out.. those who were born in the 50/60s are indeed the first generation to do this but as has been said some teddy boys still doing pontins weekenders,wheeling jerry lee lewis to his piano...the scooter rally scene is still mental...and i still know people in their 40s going out on the dance scene in bristol(techno/drum and bass)....nicci teaches teenage kids who are into drum and bass who werent even alive when d&b was already a nationwide scene ..life is short and time goes fast!

dean

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I dont think it is directly linked to our lifestyle. I'm sure there are a similar percentage of just about any group who are experiencing the ,loss of multiple compatriots (for want of a better word).

At one stage in my life it seemed everyone I knew was getting married, or having kids. Now it seems they are departing this mortal coil. I think you ask any of your school buddies who have never been near a gram of sulphate or left a club at 8 in the morning to go to another that starts at midday and continues until midnight, when another all nighter starts. They would say there are periods where a number of people they know, of a similar age, have all died.

I dont think our lifestyle helps at all. And while Andy says big band fans have their tea dances. I dont think our scene has adapted at all well to the rise in average age. All nighters IMO are for the young. An alldayer is far better

Social source share

RE: if I end up shuffling about to mid-tempo rarities with a zimmer at Happy Valley Rest Home some day then great.

Perhaps one of NS's more business inspired guys (Robbing Keverts) will start a 'Retirement Home for the NS Afflicted' up in Lancs (or even better Yorks / Notts) and we can all move in there.

Porridge for breakie, then a 'beat ballads' session in the communal lounge. A Light lunch & then the afternoon 'zimma' dance session to croossover tracks before we have evening live entertainment from Tommy Hunt, Jimmy James or Linda Lewis (MD'ed & DJ'ed by Soulie'Sam & Tricky Dickie Searling).

....... heck, think I'm drifting away towards that 'bright light' in the sky already

.... well I'm flying anyway with posts at least .... just made it to (Boeing) 737.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

RE: if I end up shuffling about to mid-tempo rarities with a zimmer at Happy Valley Rest Home some day then great.

Perhaps one of NS's more business inspired guys (Robbing Keverts) will start a 'Retirement Home for the NS Afflicted' up in Lancs (or even better Yorks / Notts) and we can all move in there.

Porridge for breakie, then a 'beat ballads' session in the communal lounge. A Light lunch & then the afternoon 'zimma' dance session to croossover tracks before we have evening live entertainment from Tommy Hunt, Jimmy James or Linda Lewis (MD'ed & DJ'ed by Soulie'Sam & Tricky Dickie Searling).

....... heck, think I'm drifting away towards that 'bright light' in the sky already

.... well I'm flying anyway with posts at least .... just made it to (Boeing) 737.

OVO? :wink:

One of my fave posts on here. Possibly by Johnny One Trout. It concerened paying a lot for a record at 'your age'. And the reply went along the lines of.

When I have full blown dememntia, I will wake up every day and hear these songs for the first time. How great is that gonna be?

Social source share

We might be burning ourselves out too soon Winnie, but like eveything else in life: you love it, you do it! (regardless of health risk). If a link exists, our generation are probably too late to benefit. Where will we be in 10-15 years time? Dancing to slower tempo songs, probably :(. A decline in physical ability with age forces us to take things easy. Saying that, some of the best dancers 50+ show no signs of growing old gracefully anytime soon, and still have the moves!!

In 30-40 years time Northern Soul 'Oldies' afternoons (the punters not the vinyl) could well be the new Bingo. I'll be too busy shuffling me zimmerframe to Billy Sha-Rae's 'I'm Gone' to even care.... or comprehend where I am, or who I am. (That American judge on The Voice -: Will. i. am. smart move that! changing your name in preparation for the onset of Alzheimers...) :)

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Wouldn't take much effort on his part He could call it "OLDSOUL" :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some of my non soul mates have been popping their clogs for years.

However a mix of drugs, bad diet, excessive booze, unbalanced sleep, and a lack of exercise save for a frantic round on the dance floor like a teenager again will take their toll on some.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I actually think its the other way round Winnie - the lifestyle I pursue will extend my shelf life not shorten it. I keep fit by running and going to the gym mainly so I can dance all night for many years to come, touch wood. And I like a pint as much as anyone, but don't see the point of getting lashed up at a NS do, you've got all week and Sundays to do that.

Cheers......Pete

Social source share

OVO? :wink:

One of my fave posts on here. Possibly by Johnny One Trout. It concerened paying a lot for a record at 'your age'. And the reply went along the lines of.

When I have full blown dememntia, I will wake up every day and hear these songs for the first time. How great is that gonna be?

Yes, we can start searching Ebay, or whatever, all over again :-) In fact just provide the same box of 50 for us to look through every morning. That'll be something new for social services to get their heads round.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

if it does take a few years off the end of your life...it probably gonna be the shit ones when youre sitting ina home wearing a nappy anyway! :-)

dean

What do you mean ?

You lot not doing the nappy thing yet then ? :lol:

Social source share

Hi Winnie, I know it's been a sad week this week, and I know you're gathering your thoughts, it doesn't matter how fit you are or lead a good lifestyle etc, when your numbers up it's up when the DNA and the genes kick in, they say look at your mothers father, that's who you should take after, i've been told many times. Cheers, Billy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

i know some old hippies and new age travelers who are in there seventies and still do acid , mushrooms, whiz , blow and booze everyday dance all night and go to festivals and the odd nu rave dosn't make a jolt of notice to them ofcause the odd one snuff's it here and there but that's nature , everything that's born must die.I used to go to the Holy cross centre in Leicester for some great soul night's and in the down stairs ballroom old wrinckly's were dancing away like boxing hare's I spoke to some occasionly during those strange moment's when your having a slash and trying to make conversation with a strange old guy in a toilet and they all said the same thing dancing keeps them young and alive and as a social event once or twice a week keeps the spirit "gay" (better watch that one ) so keep on dancing you crazy mother f*****s. regards fred Astair.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

You would have to look at other groups (thats a headache for a start as who is the average persons group, who defines it)however statisticaly I would not expect the rate of dying and ages of death to differ from many other groupings who did not attend all nighters,take ampheatamines etc as most who did and do have overall proved to be recreational drug users,alcoholics,long term heroin users,people in dangerous occupations ie working in shit conditions exposed to asbestos etc,I would expect the death rate to be higher and the age of death earlier in such groups as for those proving to be recreational drug users my hypothesis would be no significant differences,then again another could be the soulie is even still less likely due to being fitter due to sustained regular vigorous excercise to die earlier and in significant numbers more.I for one have had a number of close folk die early from the scene but over the last twenty years I have seen far greater numbers that I know die of heroin and the lifestyle it forces on some?I have also known a few drinkers and of couse some natural causes go earlier not from the ns scene.

In my opinion keep on keeping on,you only have one life and of course look after it as best but also combine this with making sure you also LIVE it to the best.If you have to go as some one has already posted what better way than on the dancefloor to a sound you really love and while you can still make it to that dancefloor!again as I say in my opinion only.

Social source share

I personally think the scene has kept me quite young at heart if nothing else .................i see my old school friends who are non-soulies and not being rude they do really look their age .............maybe i do look 51 this yr to some .............but to me i dont ................legs getting a bit knackered but thats down to the fags........will be bopping till i drop hopefully :D and these days its not chemically enhanced :no:

Regards

Young Julie :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

I don't advocate, Alcohol, Drugs, Violence and Soul Music.......But they have always worked for me................

tongue in cheek.... :wink:

Brett F.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I personally think the scene has kept me quite young at heart if nothing else .................i see my old school friends who are non-soulies and not being rude they do really look their age .............maybe i do look 51 this yr to some .............but to me i dont ................legs getting a bit knackered but thats down to the fags.opping till i drop hopefully :D and these days its not chemically enhanced :no:

Regards

Young Julie :D

Hi Sweet girl i hope you're o.k 51 ? no way I though you were about 42 or something and your smile still say's your still young so have a fag and some chips and beer sloppy kisses Simon.xxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Its something i thought seriously about a few months ago, you see it week in week out on here and hear about it from friends, but all of a sudden it hit us with a bang last year. Family and very close friends gone within a matter of weeks, then contracted a serious illness, which put everything into slow down mode until i`d recieved results from hospital etc, as said it was at this time i had to question my own lifestyle, luckily the results came back somewhat favourable, although will have to be on meds for the rest of my life. Personally i drew my strength from others, who are in a far worse situation than me, ie Nogger. Who i ring every day and his passion for the music etc is so inspirational considering his serious illness and being housebound 24/7 even so he can`t wait fir our next day out which will be october. As i said i did question my lifestyle, but hey i can`t play 5 and 3`s, hate bingo, So i will be following the thing i love till i drop. LOVE IT!!!! :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pondered this many times i think we have lived through some of the best years ,sixties seventies and so on and not just for the soul some of the pop and rock was the best ever.there have been some fashion fopaux on the way though.All in all wouldn't change anything and still loving it.Had a better life than me dad and hope my kids and grand kids have a better one than me.

Social source share

My wife is on the Rockabilly / Rock n Roll scene and the average age is probably 50+ , and these guys are dancing around like lunatics all nite , i know of one woman whos over 65 , looks and dances at least 20 yrs younger so i think its a case of just enjoy it while u can until the big man upstairs calls your number.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

better to frequently go to soul nites than waste away in the pubs playing cards and dominoe's........surely still being involved in the love of music from your youth keeps you young at heart. having said that lost far too many soulie pals over the last few years. also lost several that are not on the scene as well. perhaps its being on the scene and knowing a wider range of social friends from across the country makes it look worse than it really is!...

Social source share

I think amazing timeless music, good social banter and dancing + always having something to look forward to in terms of the next event & hearing new sounds alongside known ones have got to be good for the body & soul Winnie.

I think the problem for many could be the wrong type of fuel, if you know what I mean + not enough decent kip....oh, and maybe wearing REALLY old shoes :thumbsup:

On another note, does it get easier or harder to spin about without getting dizzy as you get older? I think harder and I can't spin for toffee anyway, but then I see some of the old un's spinning like mad and not falling over and just wondered :D

Steve

Social source share

Personally I think it's the generation of young people today who will have a much more alarming effect on the premature death rate !

Obesity ,drugs ,alcohol ,lack of physical exercise :(

Best to concentrate on enjoying yourself than worrying ..and remember " the secret to longevity is moderation " :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Isn't it usually the case that anyone who displays obsessional behaviour* in one aspect of their life - and what better example than loving NS - will also display it in other aspects? So that they may well be one or more of an alkie, druggie, foodie, sport fanatic, sex maniac, workaholic, gambler, religious zealot, control freak, stress junkie......... the list is endless. So maybe there is some correlation between being a soulie and being prematurely deceased.

I really only gave up the scene in the late 70s for another obsession (sport) then swapped that for another (not saying) & have had serial love affairs with several others since.

* passion - when you stop feeling that, you're tantamount to dead any road.

Social source share