What Are The Rarest Us Motown Group 45's (Excluding Frank Wilson)?

Obviously nothing compares to Frank Wilson in respect of Scarcity and Valuation, however what comes after that?

I was wondering whether this is worth some reflection, particularly since some items which may be considered "played out" and were relatively common in 70's and 80's are still in demand and commanding high prices.

e.g. Frances Nero, always a great tune but wasn't difficult years ago :

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=Frances+Nero&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=&x=13&y=10

I'm thinking here of original US Northern/Crossover type releases only, not those records rare due to dint of matrix number or as MJ or Diana related collectables.

For example :

Kim Weston's withdrawn 1964 beautiful Tamla release "A Little More Love" TM54106, commands

a very high price but has little to commend it from a Northern Soul point of view.

Is there anything worth investing our hard earned in?

Social source share

You mention Frances Nero being not that difficult to find years ago..I agree, I was only speaking about this the other week..I can remember it being a fairly regular 45 to see in various import shops in early 70's. Mind you how many others that are now scarce were like that?

Social source share

Are you including ep's ??

Tony

Any US 7"

I know its probably a bit LCD, if its not too much trouble could we have more details in responses.

Whilst I'm aware that the very rare Andantes "like a nightmare" V.I.P. 25006, commands £5K+, I don't know the Patrice Holloway referred to.

Thanks anyway.

Mick

Social source share

The "Motown Rarest Of The Rare 45's" list on David Flynn's site might be a good place to start:

https://anorakscorner.homestead.com/RarestOfTheRare-Motown45s.html

Gordy 7004 Hattie Littles - Back In My Arms Again

Gordy 7088 Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Oh! I've Been Blessed

Gordy 7089 Lollipops - Cheating Is Telling On You/Need Your Love

Gordy 7091 Terry Johnson - My Springtime

Mel-O-Dy 10I Creations This Is Our Night

Mel-O-Dy 104 Charters - Trouble Maker

Motown G-1 Miracles - Bad Girl

Motown TLX2207 Miracles - Bad Girl

Motown 1000 Satintones - My Beloved/Sugar Daddy (no strings)

Motown 1000 G-3 Satintones - My Beloved/Sugar Daddy (with strings)

Motown 1001 Eugene Remus - You Never Miss A Good Thing/Hold Me Tight (no strings)

Motown 1001 Eugene Remus - You Never Miss A Good Thing/Gotta Have Your Lovin' (with strings)

Motown 1001 180-W Eugene Remus - You Never Miss A Good Thing/Gotta Have Your Lovin'

Motown 1006 Satintones - Angel/A Love That Can Never Be

Motown 1006 Satintones - Tomorrow And Always/A Love That Can Never Be (with strings)

Motown 1006 Satintones - Tomorrow And Always/A Love That Can Never Be (no strings)

Motown 1008 Contours - Whole Lotta Woman

Motown 1008 Supremes - I Want A Guy

Motown 1010 Satintones - I Know How It Feels

Motown 54031 Mabel John - Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That

Motown 1012 Contours - Funny

Motown 1018 All Stars - Disintegrated Pt.1&2.

Motown 1020 Satintones - Faded Letter

Motown 1033 LaBrenda Ben & The BelJeans - Came Walk

Motown 1044 Supremes - A Breath Taking, First Sight Soul Shaking...(long title)

Motown 1046 Serenaders - If Your Heart Says Yes

Motown 1061 Mary Wells - When I'm Gone

Motown 1112 Barbara McNair - Steal Away Tonight/For Once In My Life

Motown 1144 Jonah Jones - For Better Or Worse

Motown 1155 Spinners - She's Gonna Love Me At Sundown

Motown 1160 Chuck Jackson - The Day The World Stood Still

Motown 1168 Blinky (Sandra Williams) - How You Gonna Keep It

Soul 35007 Merced Blue Notes - Do The Pig

Soul 35009 Earl VanDyke - All For You

Soul 35019 Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)

Tamla 101 Marv Johnson - Come To Me (no address)

Tamla 102 Eddie Holland - Merry Go Round

Tamla 54022 Barrett Strong - Let's Rock

Tamla 54024 Chico Leverett (Charles of The Satintones) - Solid Sender

Tamla G7012 Contours - Shake Sherry

Tamla 54024 Swinging Tigers - Snake Walk Pt.1&2

Tamla 54025 Ron & Bill (Ron White & Bill Robinson of The Miracles) - It

Tamla 54026 Satintones - Going To The Hop

Tamla 54028 A-1/2 Miracles - You Can Depend On Me/The Feeling Is Fine

Tamla 54028 A-1/2 Miracles - You Can Depend On Me/The Feeling Is Fine (alt.take)

Tamla 54026 Downbeats (Elgins) - Request To A Fool

Tamla 54028 Miracles - Way Over There (alt.take)

Tamla 54030 Singin' Sammy Ward - What Makes You Love Him/Who's The Fool (stripes)

Tamla 54030 Singin' Sammy Ward - That Child Is Really Mine/Who's The Fool (globes)

Tamla 54031 Mabel John - Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That

Tamla 54036 Miracles - Ain't It Baby

Tamla 54037 Gospel Stars - He Lifted Me (stripes)

Tamla 54038 Supremes - I Want A Guy (globes)

Tamla 54040 Mabel John - No Love (long intro)

Tamla 54045 Supremes - I Want A Guy (globes)

Tamla 54067 Sandra Mallett & The Vandellas (Sandra Edwards) - Camel Walk

Tamla 54081 Mabel John - Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That

Tamla 54106 Kim Weston - A Little More Love

Tamla 54144 Brenda Holloway - 'Til Johnny Comes Home

Tamla 5501/F1/2 Nick & The Jaguars - Ich-I-Bon #1

VIP 25001 Patrice Holloway (He Is) The Boy Of My Dreams

VIP 25006 Andantes - Like A Nightmare

VIP 25008 Oma Heard (Oma Page) - Lifetime Man

VIP 25020 Isley Brothers - I Hear A Symphony

VIP 25021 Velvelettes - A Bird In The Hand

VIP 25025 Dalton Boys - Take My Hand

VIP 25028 Majestics (The Monitors) - Say You

VIP 25029 Downbeats (The Elgins) - Put Yourself In My Place

VIP 25044 Debbie Dean - Why Am I Lovin' You

VIP 25067 Chuck Jackson - Who You Gonna Run To

Anna 101 Voicemasters - Hope & Pray

Anna 102 Voicemasters - Needed

Anna 103 Hill Sisters - Hit And Runaway Love

Anna 1109 Larry Darnell - With ears In My Eyes

Anna 1113 Letha Jones & The Rivals - I Need You - I Got That Feeling

Anna 1113 Letha Jones & The Rivals - I Need You - Black Clouds

Check-Mate 1009 Willie Kendrick - The Best Is Yet To Come

Harvey 122 Keith Moss - Satisfaction Guaranteed

Miracle 2 Little Iva & Her Band (Raynoma Gordy) - When I Needed You

Miracle 3 Gino Parks - Don't Say Bye-Bye

Miracle 4 Andre Williams - Rosa Lee

Rayber 1001 Wade Jones & The Rayber Voices I Can't Concentrate

The Rarer 7" Picture Covers:

Motown 1011 Mary Wells - I'm So Sorry

Motown 1016 Mary Wells - Strange Love

Motown 1024 Mary Wells - The One Who Really Loves You

Motown 1027 Supremes - Your Heart Belongs To Me

Motown 1032 Mary Wells - You Beat Me To The Punch

Tamla 54044 Miracles - Broken Hearted

Tamla SL4M 3114 Supremes - Things Are Changing (33 1/3 rpm)

Motown Related 7" Promos:

City Of Detroit no # Willie Horton & The Supremes - Detroit Is Happening

Motown DML294-M05 Christine Schumacher with The Supremes - Mother You Smother You

Standard Groove 13090 Miracles - That's Why I Care About Detroit

Tamla no # Brenda Holloway - Play It Cool, Stay In School

Tamla no # Mavin Gay - Witchcraft (note spelling of his surname)

Plain Label no # Lee Allan & The Vandellas Set Me Free

American International no# - The Supremes - Dr.Goldfoot & The Bikini Machine

Hitsville USA DM097311/2 - Greetings To Tamla Motown Appreciation Society (300 copies)

Social source share

Any US 7"

I know its probably a bit LCD, if its not too much trouble could we have more details in responses.

Whilst I'm aware that the very rare Andantes "like a nightmare" V.I.P. 25006, commands £5K+, I don't know the Patrice Holloway referred to.

Thanks anyway.

Mick

Sorry Mick, here you go ..

25001 - Patrice Holloway - The Boy of My Dreams

25006 - Andantes - Like A Nightmare.

I remember the Isleys VIP listing from the 70's ...

25020 - I Hear A Symphony

Also the Velvelettes ...

25034 - These Things will Keep Me Loving You.

Both have appeared on varous listings but does either one actually exist ??

Social source share

Also the Velvelettes ...

If Boy of My Dreams has "Stevie" on the fIip it definately exists. John Manship auctioned one and another in a collection in the states.

Social source share

If Boy of My Dreams has "Stevie" on the fIip it definately exists. John Manship auctioned one and another in a collection in the states.

Chalky, Yes, Patrice Holloway does exist - It was the Velvelettes and Isleys I was querying - Both have appeared on listings for decades, but has anyone ever seen one.

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Many of those on that long list were NEVER pressed in any form. They were "scheduled", but withdrawn before scheduling. The Frank Wilson, Andantes, Patrice Holloway were all pressed (at LEAST the 6 pressing plant store stock pressing plant test pressings). Many of the others (Kim Weston, Oma Heard) actually got out to distributors, and some stores, before being recalled. Gordy 7004, Miracle 3 and 4, and many others never were pressed in any form (other than acetate or music studio blank label test pressing). Many of those were scheduled for release on one Motown label, and moved to another (Serenaders, Lollipops, LaBrenda Ben, etc,). Little Iva-Raynoma Gordy had a batch of 25 or 50 pressed up on Miracle in 1963 for her own use. Not ONE was pressed in 1961, when that record had been scheduled.

Social source share

Also the Velvelettes ...

I have the Andantes-like a nightmare-vip. During the mid 8ts there existed two copies in the street that i lived; my copy and Chris Savorys. Not that rare then !
Social source share

Many of those on that long list were NEVER pressed in any form. They were "scheduled", but withdrawn before scheduling. The Frank Wilson, Andantes, Patrice Holloway were all pressed (at LEAST the 6 pressing plant store stock pressing plant test pressings). Many of the others (Kim Weston, Oma Heard) actually got out to distributors, and some stores, before being recalled. Gordy 7004, Miracle 3 and 4, and many others never were pressed in any form (other than acetate or music studio blank label test pressing). Many of those were scheduled for release on one Motown label, and moved to another (Serenaders, Lollipops, LaBrenda Ben, etc,). Little Iva-Raynoma Gordy had a batch of 25 or 50 pressed up on Miracle in 1963 for her own use. Not ONE was pressed in 1961, when that record had been scheduled.

many of the things aren't very rare either though, it's a mix of ultra rarities and sort-of-hard-to-find records. The creations on melody is not that hard (I don't think they had two releases, and I checked that number and title). The charters on melody is like a 1-known copy record (it's really good too).

Social source share

many of the things aren't very rare either though, it's a mix of ultra rarities and sort-of-hard-to-find records. The creations on melody is not that hard (I don't think they had two releases, and I checked that number and title). The charters on melody is like a 1-known copy record (it's really good too).

Yes, Motown was said to only have pressed up a box of 25 of white DJ copies of Mel-O-Dy 104, to give to DJs themselves. Motown never listed 104 as by The Charters in their schedules. It was never even put into the Motown Record Corp. or Jobete Music Record Files. The Charters were a Toledo group that approached Motown to press up their record. Both sides don't sound like Motown recordings. It is surmised that their producer in Toledo had the recordings made, and they came to Motown to get them pressed up. Motown did absolutely NOTHING to market them. I never saw ANY reference to The Charters or their record in the paperwork at Motown, or in any other source. It was always thought of as an unused number. It has only been known for a few years, after the only copy known was found among someone's personal belongings in Toledo (probably a relative of one of the group or their producer).

Social source share

Yes, Motown was said to only have pressed up a box of 25 of white DJ copies of Mel-O-Dy 104, to give to DJs themselves. Motown never listed 104 as by The Charters in their schedules. It was never even put into the Motown Record Corp. or Jobete Music Record Files. The Charters were a Toledo group that approached Motown to press up their record. Both sides don't sound like Motown recordings. It is surmised that their producer in Toledo had the recordings made, and they came to Motown to get them pressed up. Motown did absolutely NOTHING to market them. I never saw ANY reference to The Charters or their record in the paperwork at Motown, or in any other source. It was always thought of as an unused number. It has only been known for a few years, after the only copy known was found among someone's personal belongings in Toledo (probably a relative of one of the group or their producer).

The creations on mel-o-dy are from toledo. Are you saying the charters are also from there?

Maybe this is what you mean by "a few years" but it has been known since like the 80s. Bob Miner was a big motown collector and he owned a copy at one point, he found it at a record show. He had it since the 80s or at the early 90s at the latest. I'll ask him this sunday.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL The rarest i can remember? is the 1st TAMLA 12" MARVIN GAYE - "I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE" 1969 PROM! VERY LIMITED AND VERT RARE ALLEDGED TO BE THE 1st 12" 45rpm, there have been a few 12" releases now of the great record, the one to find is a TAMLA PROMOTIONAL COPY 1969, :g: HERES A DAVE FACT, i WORKED WITH MARVIN 1076

THE TROUBLED MAN TOUR :ohmy: WHAT'S GOING ON? :) DAVE

Social source share

Any US 7"

Thanks anyway.

Mick

I was waiting for the bloke who has it to post, but..

Seen a copy of a marvellettes US ep with " Only Your Love Can Save Me" on.

I would have thought that's an elusve one.

Tony

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

I always thought the vellvelettes, theses things on a white demo was rare but i got two on different versions of the lable, then on ric tic theres the fantastic four demo, pretty hard too ...."love is amazing" if memory serves. the demo of pretty lady is hard too. but isnt there two versions of the frank wilson too, which one was released/witheld. if anyone has a 1027 in pic sleeve id like that to complete all the motown pics. pm me

Social source share

The creations on mel-o-dy are from toledo. Are you saying the charters are also from there?

Maybe this is what you mean by "a few years" but it has been known since like the 80s. Bob Miner was a big Motown collector and he owned a copy at one point, he found it at a record show. He had it since the 80s or at the early 90s at the latest. I'll ask him this sunday.

Yes, "a few years" for me, could mean end of the '80s/early '90s (time goes by extremely fast after one reaches 60 years old). And, yes, I read (and heard from several others) that The Charters were from Toledo, and that the one record was found there. I'd always heard that The Creations were a local group from Detroit, with which Andre Williams was deeply involved (possibly also their manager, in addition to being their Motown producer). It was even suggested that he was related to one of the group (also named Williams-there are two Williams among the writing credits). I've never heard that The Creations were from Toledo. What is the source for that information?

Social source share

Is this the Charter's single?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, "a few years" for me, could mean end of the '80s/early '90s (time goes by extremely fast after one reaches 60 years old). And, yes, I read (and heard from several others) that The Charters were from Toledo, and that the one record was found there. I'd always heard that The Creations were a local group from Detroit, with which Andre Williams was deeply involved (possibly also their manager, in addition to being their Motown producer). It was even suggested that he was related to one of the group (also named Williams-there are two Williams among the writing credits). I've never heard that The Creations were from Toledo. What is the source for that information?

The creations on mel-o-dy are definitely from Toledo. I can give you the lineup, etc. I'm pretty sure the info came directly from the one surviving member Charles Holman, who was later in the Unique Blend on Eastbound.

Social source share

If there was only one member of The Creations named Williams, then, the 2nd Williams in the writing credits would be Andre Williams (their producer). It is interesting that Motown put both their groups from Toledo on their Mel-o-dy subsidiary. Of course, Toledo, Ohio was always considered a part of the Greater Detroit Metropolitan Area, rather than part of a Western Ohio Metro Area. Almost all the Detroit acts played in Toledo, as well.

Social source share

remember Tim Brown auctioning - Majestics - Say you / VIP last year, or was it the year before, and saying it was incredibly rare, the Four Tops song of course.. was that one on Dave's list??

Mal

Re Majestics:

I thought this might be of interest:

Anglo valuation:

https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk/priceguide/index.aspx?searchType=artist&search=MAJESTICS

Interesting You-Tube Motown Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MotownMaster

The Majestics "hello love" with group rundown.:

Potted history of group

Social source share

The "Motown Rarest Of The Rare 45's" list on David Flynn's site might be a good place to start:

https://anorakscorner...-Motown45s.html

remember when we worked on that list some years ago (was it on here or on soultalk ?) anyway, to be fair some titles would need to be taken off that list. The Downbeats "Request of a Fool" for example...as much as I love it and it is amongst my fave Motown group records...I have seen several since then going thru ebay. Some even without bids... I try to collect Motown complete up until 1967 (and no I dont want to buy a Frank Wilson LOL) and am almost finished...Having said that two 45s I never saw up for sale and therefor had no chance to buy are Barrett Strong "Let`s Rock" (only saw once when Martin Koppel sold for the first time) and Nick & The Jaguars. So at a guess they will be amongst the Rarest Motwon.

Social source share

I always thought the vellvelettes, theses things on a white demo was rare but i got two on different versions of the lable, then on ric tic theres the fantastic four demo, pretty hard too ...."love is amazing" if memory serves. the demo of pretty lady is hard too. but isnt there two versions of the frank wilson too, which one was released/witheld. if anyone has a 1027 in pic sleeve id like that to complete all the motown pics. pm me

I've got the Fantastic Four demo but selling it is another thing, I've had it as low as £50 no sale

Social source share

I have the Andantes-like a nightmare-vip. During the mid 8ts there existed two copies in the street that i lived; my copy and Chris Savorys. Not that rare then !

Two in the street !! If every street in the country had two, then there could be almost a hundred !!

Joking apart, it wasn't the existance of Andantes i was querying - My query was if Velvelettes or the Isleys existed - and I think RobK answered that for me.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!