Original Vinyl Only Do..not Quite

redcoupe

It's not 'JUST' about records - It's also about attitude - TOP TOP MAN!

Len :thumbsup: 

Yep but he also said that northern soul and funk, for that matter, is far too serious, he's not wrong there. but old folks having a knees up to youthclub tunes aint what he was thinking of when he talks about enjoying it either!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

best joke I ever heard lol you love it really

He he - Nice one Ted :lol: 

To be serious for a minute (and a bit arrogant) - I do it because I'm good at it.

This enables me to put on an event that has everything that I would want from one - Yes, I enjoy the satisfaction of a 'job well done', but I don't get to enjoy it as a punter without all the worry and stress - That's the downside for me.

You know me too well Ted :D 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He he - Nice one Ted :lol: 

To be serious for a minute (and a bit arrogant) - I do it because I'm good at it.

This enables me to put on an event that has everything that I would want from one - Yes, I enjoy the satisfaction of a 'job well done', but I don't get to enjoy it as a punter without all the worry and stress - That's the downside for me.

You know me too well Ted :D 

All the best,

Lenny boy self praise is no recommendation mate still some one has to do it lol hope you are well btw

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep but he also said that northern soul and funk, for that matter, is far too serious, he's not wrong there. but old folks having a knees up to youthclub tunes aint what he was thinking of when he talks about enjoying it either!

Yes, I understand that - I have very high standards, but that doesn't mean I have to be serious - Ever.

Passion is often looked upon as serious though - They are two different things (as you know)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Lenny boy self praise is no recommendation mate still some one has to do it lol hope you are well btw

You're certainly 'getting me' today Ted! :D 

I know what it read like, that's why I 'softened' it with stating "(and a bit arrogant)".....Just stating a fact that's all, and to 'soften' that fact even more - I blo*dy should be good at promoting, I've been doing it since 1985 (learning by the odd mistake here and there)

Right - Back to being humble (It feels a lot more comfortable) :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

In a bar on holiday I'd be happy to get my fix via any format. It's just background music, the same as when I'm driving.

If it was a promoted soul nite that would be a different matter and I can't for the life of me understand why UK promoters think that it's ok to promote events abroad and play under those "different rules" - off various formats just because there's a bit of sun and sand about. They wouldn't get away with it in the UK but think that they can in foreign parts - even when the host country has it's own established scene.

I think you well under estimate the number of small local nites that have an OVO and rare/underplayed policy. But for arguments sake lets assume you're correct.with only 5 out of 1000 playing OVO. What say we stop supporting 995 of those nites and get off our @rses to travel and pack out the other 5 ? Now wouldn't that be refreshing!

:hatsoff2: - Kev

It certainley would Kev ,However the point is that the majority seem to be quite happy and unaffected by policys etc and although my 5 in a 1000 was just a stupid figure plucked out the air you seem to think ive underestimated small local nights i havent but thats exactly my point there small and not that well attended so obviously actions speak louder than words so who,s right and who,s wrong ? CORRECT ANSWER, NOBODY AS LONG AS THEY,RE ENJOYING IT :)

Social source share

'Ditto' F*ckin' 'Ditto' :wink: 

All the best,

It certainley would Kev ,However the point is that the majority seem to be quite happy and unaffected by policys etc and although my 5 in a 1000 was just a stupid figure plucked out the air you seem to think ive underestimated small local nights i havent but thats exactly my point there small and not that well attended so obviously actions speak louder than words so who,s right and who,s wrong ? CORRECT ANSWER, NOBODY AS LONG AS THEY,RE ENJOYING IT :)

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

went to a local soul/northern do at weekend,place packed dancefloor full most of night,everybody enjoying themselves still full hour after last record,but heres the catch,wasnt actually records???? all done on laptop behind [what would be record decks],podium flat screen showing photos soul images ect,apart from no actual vynil all very proffessional....so why am i still bemused by it and scratching my head at the thought of it,weddings mobile djs yes..but are laptops ok for local do,s?????are there any more such venues out there..

if you are into digging old music up, how on earth are you gonna ever find anything intresting if you only  have mp3s

you miss the point of collecting, and digging for old music

you may be able to suprise with your taste

but you are probably not gonna have any thing new to talk about

unless you are playing kent un issued things

so much goodness still on 45 and 33

i for one aint giving up

not having a go

but old records is where it is

i collect boogaloo....funk...ska.......soul....allsorts of shit

its not just a soul thing

if you are into vintage music

original format is the way, everything else is a no brainer

or am i mad

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

You're certainly 'getting me' today Ted! :D 

I know what it read like, that's why I 'softened' it with stating "(and a bit arrogant)".....Just stating a fact that's all, and to 'soften' that fact even more - I blo*dy should be good at promoting, I've been doing it since 1985 (learning by the odd mistake here and there)

Right - Back to being humble (It feels a lot more comfortable) :D 

All the best,

P.s - Ted - I'm also good at welding for the exact same reason........and that also don't mean I like it - Especially in this god forsaken heat! :sweatingbullets:  :D 

Have a good weekend folkz.

All the best,

Social source share

Frowned upon by many ,the only thing I collect are mp3's , ,for my own use ,I'm a big fan of obscure R&B ,and tunes that are not " main stream " to even find the majority of em on legit issues would be just about impossible ,so I don't bother ,I would just convert em to mp3 anyway :ohmy:

Bazza :hatsoff2:  

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

I better add me tuppence worth in this debate as I have said some 'direct' comment regarding vinyl in other threads....so i'll qualify it!x

As a 'DJ'...out to entertain tthe masses....then yes.....at a wedding and stuff I may play 4/5 CD tracks as being current Chart toppers unavailable on vinyl UPON REQUEST...and play it to satisfy the folk....which £350 PAYS FOR.....my rate for a 12 hour non-stop doo if u start background music at around 2pm at a wedding reception till 2am finish! Cheap init! The pleasure is all mine!x

However....at a Northern Doo.....or my understanding of Northern doo's....is like Pete....I would play vinyl only and on original.......BUT....at my soul nights I would have played re-issues as long as another guest DJ din't have the original!! I never ever played a tune at a gig if I knew a DJ had the full monty copy....out of respect...to their investment and to uphold what I thought was the 'ethos' among 'hard core' Soulies!x

There is this 'hard core' element to address tho'! When on the scene throughout the 90's....I only ever DJ'd at 'hard core' functions.....! None of those venues /promoters or fellow DJs would have accepted CDs/MP3s....boots or re-issues....I recall! Or...one wouldn't have left the building without some 'chat' of a frowned upon nature being said! So...I never dared become part of that 'chat'!!hehe!x On that basis....perhaps I was spoilt or 'blinkered' as to my approach.....or put it another way...I feared any backlash!!x

Today....if I was at a general gig as advertised in this thread.....I wouldn't have a problem! My focus would be on the DJ's selection!! When active....I drew upon around 300 records I had considered Northern. If I was using a laptop....which I never have and actually laugh when seeing general DJ's using them......most present a detached approach to 'entertaining' I have found....and none have ever danced behind the decks that i've witnessed!! Therefore...if I was at a Northern doo....and listening to a laptop......i'd expect it to be the most brilliant bestest night i'd have been too.......given the scope of music available to the said DJ! Anything less....would be a waste of my time or.....a reflection of a DJ who didn't have Northern at his or her heart!x On this occasion being discussed....the dance floor appeared busy...therefore I assume the DJ knew his laptop and folders....and had Soul....somewhere!x

Not offended or feel it 'wrong' to use a laptop....but......for me.....it will never happen! I LOVE flipping thru me tunes...looking for the next tune to play.....know every ridge in the run in grooves....and know every word as it spins....to any of my collection!! I haven't found a laptop DJ that has the same feeling or enthusiasm when searching folders!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

....dis-claimer!

About 15 years ago.....I went to a friends 60th at a Scout Hut in a village outside Cambridge. A Scout leader and his 2 young kids were doing the DJing....from a laptop!

Nobody had danced....and it was 10-10.15pm...with the doo ending at 11.30pm! So....I hi-jacked them....! Went on stage and the man was sweating profusely! I said I was a DJ.....and knew the type of stuff these 40/50/60 year olds wanted! He had been playing current chart toppers from CD or Laptop...for 3 hours...with no response!!

I said....if I name a tune....could you cue it up!!! He said...no....shouted...."NO PROBLEM"....and made way for me as his saviour!!hehe!!! I asked for 'Baby Love'....to kick off....I took the microphone....and announced 'let's dance'.....and this poppy/disco.....worst ever version of Baby Love kicked off.....!!! But....the floor rammed wiv handbag crowd....they'd been frustrated for 3 hours init!! It got better from there! Hi Ho Silver lining and Hit The Road Jack all came piling in....and we wos away! Now I have to say this...cos it's true! It was one of the bestest enjoyable times I DJd'! Those who have witnessed me doing me thing....know I play every instrument and dance as 'standard'! Me air guitar of I'm A Believer i've got down to a fine art....and the piano rendition during Great Balls of Fire has never missed a key! On this occasion.....I was able to dance...play....chat....and just enjoy 'djing'.....whilst others searched the tunes! Perhaps that is me way forward when in me old peoples home at the xmas party i'll host.........at some point in the future!x

@@
~

Bottom line.....If i thought I couldn't 'entertain' successfully with my record collection....whatever genre....I wouldn't offer me services. Overall...I have never needed to go to CD....or MP3....at ANY gig...by choice. I would consider it an insult to every piece of vinyl and singer I have amassed!x

Social source share

Guest Gazfunk

One of the things that got on my goat with regards to people playing cds is this - I spend hours every week trawling through the internet to listen to soundclips of records I haven't heard before so that I can hear something new. When I find something I like, it goes on the wants list and eventually (hopefully) I source a copy of the track.

I collect all manner of original vinyl from 60s mod, psych, garage, northern soul, latin, funk etc and because of my big interest (and collection across many genres) I often get asked by friends to do them a compilation cd to listen to. I don't mind as they are mates and I like people hearing tunes which I think are quality. So, a friend of mine asked me to do him a compilation cd up of pysch & garage from my records which I did. A few weeks later he told me he was dj'ing in a bar in Belfast and asked me to come down - knowing he had never dj'd before I was intrigued to hear what he'd play so I went down only to find out his set contained the cd I did up for him and a cd that I'd done a couple of years prior to that.

Now I have to admit I was rather p****d off with him because he got paid to "dj" at a gig (even though he doesn't dj) and played 2 cds of music that I gave to him for free and that I spent the time sourcing the music in the first place as well as spending years and the money collecting them. He was asked did he know someone who could dj playing this type of music and rather than put my name forward, did it himself by playing my stuff. This is part of the problem with cds (although I do accept that not everyone who plays cds would do that)

If he had to source the music himself and buy it, he would never have had the opportunity to dj as he neither cares enough to spend the time trawling the internet listening to 90% rubbish to find a few nuggets (pardon the pun), nor is he passionate enough to put his money where his mouth is and pay the money for the records like I would. Yet despite all this, he gets paid (I get naff all), PLUS he gets a number of people congratulating him on the great tunes he played and of course he keeps his mouth shut that he got all the songs from me!!!

So in short that's my issue with cds - people who aren't as passionate can play a "greatest hits" type cd bought (or even worse ilegally downloaded) for little cost/nothing just so they can be Mr/Mrs Popular by playing all these well known tunes. If that's the motivation and you don't have the passion to invest the time and money properly, imho you shouldn't dj. Leave it up to those who care enough about it to earn the plaudits and the money.

Social source share

. Yet despite all this, he gets paid (I get naff all), PLUS he gets a number of people congratulating him on the great tunes he played and of course he keeps his mouth shut that he got all the songs from me!!!

Fully agree with your points but praise from people on tracks played from a cd compilation dont mean nothin'  :huh:

Social source share

Now I have to admit I was rather p****d off with him because he got paid to "dj" at a gig (even though he doesn't dj) and played 2 cds of music that I gave to him for free and that I spent the time sourcing the music in the first place as well as spending years and the money collecting them. He was asked did he know someone who could dj playing this type of music and rather than put my name forward, did it himself by playing my stuff. This is part of the problem with cds (although I do accept that not everyone who plays cds would do that)

Not sure this is a problem with Cd's/MP3's , rather it is a problem with your friend

Social source share

There is this 'hard core' element to address tho'! When on the scene throughout the 90's....I only ever DJ'd at 'hard core' functions.....! None of those venues /promoters or fellow DJs would have accepted CDs/MP3s....boots or re-issues....I recall! Or...one wouldn't have left the building without some 'chat' of a frowned upon nature being said! So...I never dared become part of that 'chat'!!hehe!x On that basis....perhaps I was spoilt or 'blinkered' as to my approach.....or put it another way...I feared any backlash!!x

It was never discussed back then though was it mate? - It simply wasn't an issue.......and that is the difference to todays 'Scene'......

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The problem with mp3s is that you can just set up an ipod/ itunes playlist  and then go to the bar for the 4 hours and only alter the tracklist for a request etc.

My mate "dj's" at normal chart birthday wedding type do's , he has a bog standard playlist and just alters the odd new chart tune or request to it every booking.

Social source share

Guest Gazfunk

My point is that someone like him got to dj at a gig that I didn't because he was able to use cds that I made for him and if that option wasn't available to him (and he had to source the music on vinyl himself like I did) he wouldn't have got the gig.

With cds and laptops as other people have said, every tom, dick and harry can be a dj with little cost or time spent trying to accumulate the music, in front of those who have the real passion to crate dig and pay out their hard earned to own the songs.

Why should people who clearly don't invest enough of their own time or share the same passion make money doing something that others who devote their lives to it can't? A lot of the time it's about seeing an opportunity to make an easy buck or kudos. There may be the odd person who does it who has a wealth of knowledge and cares passionately about the music but would rather use laptops or cds for handiness sake (and they may even have loads of the tracks at home on vinyl) but I'd guess they are far outweighed by the people who can't be bothered putting the effort in.

Social source share

It was never discussed back then though was it mate? - It simply wasn't an issue.......and that is the difference to todays 'Scene'......

All the best,

Len  :thumbsup: 

Fortunately Lenny it wasn't a distraction available to us vinyl junkies too true mate!x I do remember CD's coming into Soul Nights and generating debate....but that was it!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

I think the MP3 fingy has taken the spot that us 45rpm DJ's said about LP spinners.......ouch.....that's gonna kick off anuver chat....sorry Mike...i'm back!!!hehe!x
@@

~

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

when the scene does go laptop ... and i do mean WHEN there will be dj's who play the same old shite they always have and there will be dj's who show imagination, that will never change.

On a personal level I done a mates wedding off laptop and it was liberating and yeah I could see myself doing a night of 'REAL' across the board (not what the soul scene classes as atb) black music off laptop 

Social source share

All the best,

I think it’s always happened in local do’s. I remember a local DJ in the early 80s playing stuff from Inferno, Kent LPs and Tamla Motown reissues. It didn’t bother me at the time as I hadn’t heard them before and I thought the music was fantastic.

Edited by daved
Social source share

I think it’s always happened in local do’s. I remember a local DJ in the early 80s playing stuff from Inferno, Kent LPs and Tamla Motown reissues. It didn’t bother me at the time as I hadn’t heard them before and I thought the music was fantastic.

....because I expect the music was fantastic! - It sounds the same......Try explaining that to 'The Outside World' :D 

To be honest, it's not up for discussion as far as I'm concerned. I've said this many times before - I 'do what I do' and I know which D.J's I respect, and that's all that matters to me. Everyone else can do what the hell they like, and I hope they are enjoying the music - I don't think anything less of em for doing as they please.

The more we go on about it, the more ridiculous it gets.

All the best,

P.s - Queue - "Well, actually Len, it doesn't sound the same" - Whatever!

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest penny

....because I expect the music was fantastic! - It sounds the same......Try explaining that to 'The Outside World' :D 

To be honest, it's not up for discussion as far as I'm concerned. I've said this many times before - I 'do what I do' and I know which D.J's I respect, and that's all that matters to me. Everyone else can do what the hell they like, and I hope they are enjoying the music - I don't think anything less of em for doing as they please.

The more we go on about it, the more ridiculous it gets.

All the best,

P.s - Queue - "Well, actually Len, it doesn't sound the same" - Whatever!

I think someone from the 'outside world' could quite easily grasp the concept of a passionate expert doing more justice to his / craft than a novice or chancer, even if an abstracted few minutes of either's performance could be the same.

It's not just the soul scene, I think, that sets standards of practise and experience, which sometimes appear eccentric but do, however, result in best practise.

I imagine that your 'each to his own' outlook doesn't extend to other fields, like car mechanics, medicine, or musicianship.

Aspects of the music industry have always been seen as open territory for chancers with not much to offer trying to prize a living somehow. Far from being an inert influence, the phenomenon actually devalues the whole thing.

;-)

Social source share

I think someone from the 'outside world' could quite easily grasp the concept of a passionate expert doing more justice to his / craft than a novice or chancer, even if an abstracted few minutes of either's performance could be the same.

It's not just the soul scene, I think, that sets standards of practise and experience, which sometimes appear eccentric but do, however, result in best practise.

I imagine that your 'each to his own' outlook doesn't extend to other fields, like car mechanics, medicine, or musicianship.

Aspects of the music industry have always been seen as open territory for chancers with not much to offer trying to prize a living somehow. Far from being an inert influence, the phenomenon actually devalues the whole thing.

;-)

Well put, and if you knew me you would know that I fully understand, and agree with you. Now I know this looks like I'm contradicting myself, so to explain this away.......What I mean is, I hate it when people go 'on and on' about it, because to me, it sounds so 'plastic' - It goes 'without' saying as far as I'm concerned, the D.J's that I respect go by these rules, but I've never heard any of them discuss it.

Good point with ref 'The Outside World', you're correct there. I was thinking more of the conversations I have at work, trying to explain to the young lads about our Scene paying for the originals, and that we would be 'shot on site' if we down loaded the same tune and D.Jed somewhere with it - These young lads said (and I quote) "That's f*ckin' mad that is"..... :D But if I had likened it to collecting original paintings, against owning a poster / print, I think they would have understood (as you pointed out)

So, I suppose I've 'shot myself in the foot' here :wink: - I want it all done 'proper' (I can't believe I've just used that word) but I don't want it discussed! :D....Maybe it's because it's a massive reminder that the Scene ain't what it used to be, I dunno :huh: 

Thanks for your well written reply.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Just out of interest, what is a Local do ???

Every do in the country is local to somebody, isn't it ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ha ha, yes correct. With local DJ's and cheap entrance fee. No big names. Cross section of people who are not neccessarily fanatics or anoraks but enjoy the music.

Not always the case though is it...a few "local" do's that do not use "big names", use local-ish djs and have cheap entrance fees..

Paul Harris's  local do at Bradford

Brookesy's     local do at Burscough

Sid Jones's    local do at Denton

Derreck's       local do at Bury/Prestwich

Our own         local do at Rochdale.......

etc.

I know do not condone the playing of boots re issues etc, and are playing some cracking stuff.

Social source share

He he, that made me chuckle - Good point though....But I think we all know what the term 'Local Do', generally means  - a 'low key', 'not' national do (or known nationally) The kind of events that are on in every town, every weekend. Of course the description 'Local Do' (how I understand it) will have exceptions to that rule, as you have pointed out.

God, don't we complicate things? - I love it! :lol: 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He he, that made me chuckle - Good point though....But I think we all know what the term 'Local Do', generally means  - a 'low key', 'not' national do (or known nationally) The kind of events that are on in every town, every weekend. Of course the description 'Local Do' (how I understand it) will have exceptions to that rule, as you have pointed out.

All the best,

I was being a little Impish I know,

However, BIG NAMES and BIG NIGHTS

Do not guarantee the BEST NIGHTS...   :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was being a little Impish I know,

However, BIG NAMES and BIG NIGHTS

Do not guarantee the BEST NIGHTS...   :thumbsup:

Abso'f*ckin'lutely! :wink: 

P.s - I like 'Impish' - do carry on :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

I collect ska, heavily, have done since before I collected soul, 40 years...but the ska/reggae reissue market is vibrant, especially Japanese repros, so I've sold all my rare titles and replaced them with top quality lookalikes.  It made perfect sense in this financial climate, and I still got to keep my favourite tunes.  So original format is not the way for me.  However - if I was asked to DJ at a 'serious' Northern do, I wouldn't insult the patrons by playing off reissues, I'd make sure I only had originals.  If it was at our local pub, I'd play off originals and reissues...

but the unknown tunes, weather it be soul or reggae is always gonna be on vinyl

thats becase they only made vinyl in the 60s

i love what trojan are doing with the box sets etc.

but diggers of vinyl may now an again find things, and diggers of mp3s will generally only find things that have already been found

by diggers  of vinyl

its a no brainer if your into vintage

I  go out and watch football now on Saturdays with my lad and his mates

nothings ever got me back into the scene as such

phone me when guy hennegan and gary spencer are djing again

still collecting originals tho

realise these 45s and 33s will become worthless, its not a monetary investment

passion

how special and lucky was i finding out about these forgotton records

and it will continue

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

All the best,

If you live in Stoke would that be a Local Do ? 

Yes, agree Len, hundreds of 'Local Do's' every week. Some attracting an audience a little wider than the Town but majority are for local people and freinds of the organisers.

Possibly a few too many that are watering others down but we would be complaining, as we tend to do, that there were not enough !

Social source share

Love them or hate them, I guess that the sheer number of 'local do's' and 'local dj's' are an important factor in sustaining record sales within the UK?

I'm not a record dealer, but many I speak to tell me that overseas markets are where the real business is nowadays.

Maybe someone with greater knowledge than myself could offer an opinion.

Social source share

If you live in Stoke would that be a Local Do ? 

Yes, agree Len, hundreds of 'Local Do's' every week. Some attracting an audience a little wider than the Town but majority are for local people and freinds of the organisers.

Possibly a few too many that are watering others down but we would be complaining, as we tend to do, that there were not enough !

Um, yes if you live in Stoke :huh: I getcha point though :D - I expect there's loads of (as we understand the 'term') Local Do's to Stoke.....Blo*dy hell, I was supposed to be 'retiring' from posting so much on here - It 'reels' you in though don't it? :D 

....There's no 'possibly' about the 'watering down', but too late now, and the last thing I (personally) would ever do, is complain that there's not enough events on. I'm still for closing down The Soul Scene for the Summer Months (Hey - that's me :D)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Love them or hate them, I guess that the sheer number of 'local do's' and 'local dj's' are an important factor in sustaining record sales within the UK?

I'm not a record dealer, but many I speak to tell me that overseas markets are where the real business is nowadays.

Maybe someone with greater knowledge than myself could offer an opinion.

Firstly I must point out that I don't claim to have 'greater knowledge' than you - I'm 'on here', so thought I'd 'add' :D

I'm not sure really - there's always been collectors separate to the D.J's, but I suppose there is now loads more D.J's, so that would obviously increase record sales - Not 'important' to me though :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

;-)

what a spot on observation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Um, yes if you live in Stoke :huh: I getcha point though :D - I expect there's loads of (as we understand the 'term') Local Do's to Stoke.....Blo*dy hell, I was supposed to be 'retiring' from posting so much on here - It 'reels' you in though don't it? :D 

....There's no 'possibly' about the 'watering down', but too late now, and the last thing I (personally) would ever do, is complain that there's not enough events on. I'm still for closing down The Soul Scene for the Summer Months (Hey - that's me :D)

All the best,

think its a common misconception there's loads going on in stoke, several, local stokal's have stuggled to sustain any momentum in the last couple of tears. basically there's shite all work and money in this once industious city. not knocking anyone who does try, its just as mr neville put it, 'a hard nut to crack'.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

think its a common misconception there's loads going on in stoke, several, local stokal's have stuggled to sustain any momentum in the last couple of tears. basically there's shite all work and money in this once industious city. not knocking anyone who does try, its just as mr neville put it, 'a hard nut to crack'.  

That's interesting, I still presume there's loads going on everywhere as I stopped taking much notice a long time ago - meaning I know which events I like, and am not looking for any more. Maybe things are a changing, it's a very good point you highlight with ref no money / work (or the recession in general) because loads of us have moaned for years about too many events, and lots of us (including me) overlooked the fact that a hard recession like this will effect events more so, than having too many.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I took my Son down by the river today where there's a free 'splashy water' type area, and next to that a 'pay' area which includes a Bouncy Castle, an Inflatable Slide, Trampolines etc. Anyway, the 'Free' area was absolutely packed, so we wondered over to the 'Pay' area, and I could not believe that it was almost empty. The bloke in the Ticket Kiosk, said they hadn't even sold hardly any ice creams, and we agreed that people are simply skint. He was as shocked as I - It really is the sort of place you avoid because of fear that it's bound to be too crowded.

My point is, I think the next couple of years on the Soul Scene will be interesting with ref how many events are on country wide then, compared to now, because of the 'Recession Effect'

All the best,

P.s - Sorry if this has gone way 'off topic', but interesting nevertheless.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

All the best,

Len  :thumbsup: 

Fortunately Lenny it wasn't a distraction available to us vinyl junkies too true mate!x I do remember CD's coming into Soul Nights and generating debate....but that was it!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

I think the MP3 fingy has taken the spot that us 45rpm DJ's said about LP spinners.......ouch.....that's gonna kick off anuver chat....sorry Mike...i'm back!!!hehe!x
@@

~

no problem.....peace

all good

funny thing, i left the sene in 93

only because of life

and stuff

but lps are real

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

...Hi Gareth.....we just missed each other mate!x My first attendance to a proper gig was Keele xmas doo 1992....which inspired me to promote our first Soul Night for Easter 1993!x I should qualify my comment mate.....I have never had an opinion on boots...CD's...or LPs.....! It's all irrelevant to me in the grand scale! It was a tongue in cheek comment as I recall some DJ's frowning upon LP spinners! It all made me smile then....and still does!x Keep spinning whatever makes YOU happy!x 45's do it for me....LP's I forget to change the knob as i've never been 'technical' with me DJing....so for simplicity I stuck to singles...at 45rpm...a safe speed!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

My all time favourite LPs which I can listen too anytime??? Holst Planet suite!x The 1812 Overture comes a second best especially with real canons with Beethoven's Pastural symphony coming 3rd!x

EDIT:....Citizen P...

...and...

However, BIG NAMES and BIG NIGHTS Do not guarantee the BEST NIGHTS...    :thumbsup:

Len and myself are 'converted' to your ethos and opinion Citizen P!x I went to all the major nighters in the 90's. Keele...Blackburn...100 Club....Winsford....Stockport...Bretby....The Ritzy and The Ritz....and others! I DJ'd at them all except the Ritz and Keele. The best one enjoyed by the majority of Soulies at the time??? 'Ours'...when re-launching St Ives! NO 'big names' just 9 'selected' Soul Club representatives at each gig....a 'peoples' doo! No ego's or 'mates' malarky...or owt! It was the only A/Nighter that oranges segments would arrive at your table at 2/3am too for refreshment of all!

After trekking to all venues...sussing out 'the people'....we gave them what they wanted......job done! I may be bias as will Len i'm sure as we were pivotal in making that happen along with Shifty...Kings Lynn crew...Boston....Peterborough and 'local' to us doos promoters. The list you provide above would have featured 'collectively' on one of our nights no problem! The only requirements we had was that you'd been to the venue....was a promoter....and ideally danced too! I felt it a 'reward' for those promoters who back then weren't really appreciated by the 'moguls' and indeed it ensured several new 'names' came onto the scene too! It was revolutionary at the time....and explains why we walked into venues with 50-100 people when venturing up t'norf for 'time out' at other gigs!!!x Such 'power' did influence others....and we forced our way onto what was becoming a stale system! That happening was a major part of the resurgence of the scene in the 90's.....!x Proud of my part in that as i'm sure Len....Shifty and many others who 'wos there' will confirm too!x

My 'reward'....presented to me by Ady Croasdell on behalf of the said happy Soulies as a token of their appreciation...which is still proudly displayed in a house which I rent out to Celebs as a 'safe house'! It always generates 'chat' about the Northern scene....and i'm proud to tell all about it.................your welcome!x

@@
~

shield2_zps2e85917c.png

stives1_zpse2886996.jpg

Playing CD's...from a Laptop....or LP's....weren't part of the scrutiny! Being a 'Soulie' was the only qualification required......and they rammed it!x

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

...Hi Gareth.....we just missed each other mate!x My first attendance to a proper gig was Keele xmas doo 1992....which inspired me to promote our first Soul Night for Easter 1993!x I should qualify my comment mate.....I have never had an opinion on boots...CD's...or LPs.....! It's all irrelevant to me in the grand scale! It was a tongue in cheek comment as I recall some DJ's frowning upon LP spinners! It all made me smile then....and still does!x Keep spinning whatever makes YOU happy!x 45's do it for me....LP's I forget to change the knob as i've never been 'technical' with me DJing....so for simplicity I stuck to singles...at 45rpm...a safe speed!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

My all time favourite LPs which I can listen too anytime??? Holst Planet suite!x The 1812 Overture comes a second best especially with real canons with Beethoven's Pastural symphony coming 3rd!x

EDIT:....Citizen P...

...and...

However, BIG NAMES and BIG NIGHTS Do not guarantee the BEST NIGHTS...    :thumbsup:

Len and myself are 'converted' to your ethos and opinion Citizen P!x I went to all the major nighters in the 90's. Keele...Blackburn...100 Club....Winsford....Stockport...Bretby....The Ritzy and The Ritz....and others! I DJ'd at them all except the Ritz and Keele. The best one enjoyed by the majority of Soulies at the time??? 'Ours'...when re-launching St Ives! NO 'big names' just 9 'selected' Soul Club representatives at each gig....a 'peoples' doo! No ego's or 'mates' malarky...or owt! It was the only A/Nighter that oranges segments would arrive at your table at 2/3am too for refreshment of all!

After trekking to all venues...sussing out 'the people'....we gave them what they wanted......job done! I may be bias as will Len i'm sure as we were pivotal in making that happen along with Shifty...Kings Lynn crew...Boston....Peterborough and 'local' to us doos promoters. The list you provide above would have featured 'collectively' on one of our nights no problem! The only requirements we had was that you'd been to the venue....was a promoter....and ideally danced too! I felt it a 'reward' for those promoters who back then weren't really appreciated by the 'moguls' and indeed it ensured several new 'names' came onto the scene too! It was revolutionary at the time....and explains why we walked into venues with 50-100 people when venturing up t'norf for 'time out' at other gigs!!!x Such 'power' did influence others....and we forced our way onto what was becoming a stale system! That happening was a major part of the resurgence of the scene in the 90's.....!x Proud of my part in that as i'm sure Len....Shifty and many others who 'wos there' will confirm too!x

My 'reward'....presented to me by Ady Croasdell on behalf of the said happy Soulies as a token of their appreciation...which is still proudly displayed in a house which I rent out to Celebs as a 'safe house'! It always generates 'chat' about the Northern scene....and i'm proud to tell all about it.................your welcome!x

@@

~

shield2_zps2e85917c.png

stives1_zpse2886996.jpg

Playing CD's...from a Laptop....or LP's....weren't part of the scrutiny! Being a 'Soulie' was the only qualification required......and they rammed it!x

yes mate

ships in the night

we probably danced at keele on the same floor on the same night

it was fun

my time on the scene was the 80s thru early 90s

it was brill, but apparentley the underground times

it did not seem like that to me

those times have kept me into the music even till now

anyway

still collecting,original vinyl

g

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

...it was the first time I had been to a nighter....took speed.....and dance all night! I danced to 'Too Many People' 3 times as i;d never heard it and was blown away!.....! Never played the record throughout my time personally....but that's what happened!x My goal when leaving was to use some of my spare time to revive that kind of experience back 'ome! We did....and I then set my sights on Keele itself! But Neil who promoted it then....ensured I never achieved my 'ultimate' dream! For the next 7 years folk went up to him....30+ in a night and asked 'when is Sooty getting a spot'....and he held his reasoning! I am accurate with me figures cos i'd send 20 + to ask the question....!hehe!x Little Scotty and Mick Lyons took up the excitement instead and took me to Blackburn where I became a virtual in house DJ for several years having the last hour to get mine and dancers rocks off! Happy days and I thank all those who went on that 'journey'....it was a buzz.....X 

You'd have jumped on me 17 seater G....and we'd have had a 'craic'.....I reckon!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!