Used To Be Cool, Now Crap

Andyj

I still like that

:(

Ones mans meat, and all that.

Your not on your own, i know a lot of other people that also like it, but it has always gotten on my tits to be honest, but hey ho i actually quite like Joey D, but can't abide Epitome Of Fookin Sound - Where Were You is quality though!!

Daz.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah well 'crap' may be a bit harsh for dear Danny, but any record with a £900+ price drop, warrants half a mention on a thread like this - maybe .. :g:

Wasn't the price drop more due to a load turning up though, hence it not being the rarity it was?

Still sounds like a grands worth of record to me (am I still allowed to call the one in my box an £800 record?)

Social source share

Yeah well 'crap' may be a bit harsh for dear Danny, but any record with a £900+ price drop, warrants half a mention on a thread like this - maybe .. :g:

I was really pleased when loads turned up, I could afford and get a copy. Beautiful tune.

I hope loads of copies of every record I want are found :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

whats people opinions on the fife piper? Never heard it played out, so dont know how it goes down. I know it was a classic, im tempted to play it out. But wondered what people thought.

Personally - don't like it, don't get it really, but like a lot of these records, it was of it's time so in 1968-70 era it was such a huge record and who am I to argue with our Wheel-going ancestors.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

whats people opinions on the fife piper? Never heard it played out, so dont know how it goes down. I know it was a classic, im tempted to play it out. But wondered what people thought.

weird one that, its was a massive record, But I only heard it played at scooter rallies and the Outrigger in Brum, Its not Crap, but its a pretty boring track..

m

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The seven Dwarfs - stop girl...used to love it in the 70's... but god listen to it now ...how crap.... crap production crap vocals crap crap crap crap

actually im now so wound up as to how crap it is im going to get it out of the wardrobe and snap it :thumbup:

geeooooooordie

I like it.

Social source share

So do I.

Not particularly as a "Northern" record.

It's just a great 60's record.

Invokes memories and imagery of Ready Steady Go or the such. Can see the Girls in their short Black and White Quarter Dresses and Boots bouncing along to it !!

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

weird one that, its was a massive record, But I only heard it played at scooter rallies and the Outrigger in Brum, Its not Crap, but its a pretty boring track..

m

I quite like it, but i think its because i quite like a lot of 60's garage and punk. And it does have that vibe. I do sometimes think it drags a bit, i think i will play it, but fade it out early.

Social source share

I quite like it, but i think its because i quite like a lot of 60's garage and punk. And it does have that vibe. I do sometimes think it drags a bit, i think i will play it, but fade it out early.

Almost like its waiting to get going and in the end thinks, you know what, I can't be arsed !!

Social source share

The seven Dwarfs - stop girl...used to love it in the 70's... but god listen to it now ...how crap.... crap production crap vocals crap crap crap crap

actually im now so wound up as to how crap it is im going to get it out of the wardrobe and snap it :thumbup:

geeooooooordie

Never that keen myself back in the day but I now love it..

Bit like the track below, when this was big at Wigan I thought it was disco shite, yet now it sounds fantastic and as fresh as if it were cut yesterday....

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Bit like the track below, when this was big at Wigan I thought it was disco shite, yet now it sounds fantastic and as fresh as if it were cut yesterday....

The import version is the better version to me, a different singer The vocals on this are believe by Jenny (Janita) Haan but due to legal reasons another lead vocalist was on the UK release

Social source share

I always liked at Babe Ruth at Wigan to be honest, bit wierd or 'progressive' & questionable if its even soulful, in fact, lets be honest, it's not soulful at all, but it was catchy & belting out though muffled speakers to a packed dance floor, then it did the job in 'that' atmosphere at 'that' time.

I say the same about a lot about things in life, history, morally or political, it's unfair to retrospectively judge anything with the benefit hindsight with 'todays' standard & apply it backdated.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always liked at Babe Ruth at Wigan to be honest, bit wierd or 'progressive' & questionable if its even soulful, in fact, lets be honest, it's not soulful at all, but it was catchy & belting out though muffled speakers to a packed dance floor, then it did the job in 'that' atmosphere at 'that' time.

I say the same about a lot about things in life, history, morally or political, it's unfair to retrospectively judge anything with the benefit hindsight with 'todays' standard & apply it backdated.

Aid.

Bit like the following Aid

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
Social source share

I would have had said The Burning Bush... The first time i heard it, i thought what the hell is this crap? How did this get plays? Yes it does sounds like The Monkeys on some acid filled trip, but it really is an infectious 100mph tune. I actually quite like it the more i listen to it...

:huh::ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If you haven't heard Interplay for over 30 years, and it comes on, unexpectedly, loud, in a decent room, it brings back those teenage years and that makes it sound great!

Wasn't there a big thread on here about this very record some time back?

No, I did hear it relatively recently after 30 years and it still sounded crap. :lol:

Come to think of it, even when I was a teenager I thought it was crap, so it probably doesn't belong on this thread 'Used to be cool, now crap'.

One record that was absolutely massive late Wigan was Peggy March - If You Loved Me. Would anyone spin that now? (I still like it btw).

Social source share

The import version is the better version to me, a different singer The vocals on this are believe by Jenny (Janita) Haan but due to legal reasons another lead vocalist was on the UK release

Don't like that import version, vocals way better on the UK original. Never even heard this import til the early 80's.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I like it. Not a big fan of instrumentals, but that and Cochise always bring back good memories.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Love Elusive, again it's the memories thing. Train back from Wigan singing along to it on a tape player. I'd still dance to this every time.

Social source share

No, I did hear it relatively recently after 30 years and it still sounded crap. :lol:

Come to think of it, even when I was a teenager I thought it was crap, so it probably doesn't belong on this thread 'Used to be cool, now crap'.

One record that was absolutely massive late Wigan was Peggy March - If You Loved Me. Would anyone spin that now? (I still like it btw).

I would (do!)

Social source share

With people talking about The Fife Piper, Cochise, Interplay etc just wondered what makes a good instrumental? I mean people slag Interplay but Condition Red is still regarded as cool, and although I quite like that track I've never been a big fan of instrumentals myself.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

With people talking about The Fife Piper, Cochise, Interplay etc just wondered what makes a good instrumental? I mean people slag Interplay but Condition Red is still regarded as cool, and although I quite like that track I've never been a big fan of instrumentals myself.

Good question. I generally hate instrumentals as well, for me soul music is all about the vocals as much as anything else, there are a few I like though. My favourite is Little Sonny - Wade in the Water. I think an instrumental needs variety with plenty of changes, not just plod along all the way though.

I suppose I like it because Sonny makes his harmonica sing.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

This! - Nuf said.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

(Scott Bros Orch - They All Came Back)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

With people talking about The Fife Piper, Cochise, Interplay etc just wondered what makes a good instrumental?

Willie Mitchell !!!!

Yeah Willie Mitchell

Bari Track

Exus Trek

Ton Of Dynamite

Do the pearl girl

Don't Pretend

Same old thing

Cigarette ashes

The gallop

Right On

FRANTIC ESCAPE!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

barnaby bye - can't live this way. massive floorpacker everywhere around 1975-6. I readily admit to dancing to it. I looked for it on youtube recently and struth. must have been the gear talkin' again, and again, and again... ;-)

Another of my favourites, 'drag drag drag draaaag drag' Classic! :thumbup:

Social source share

Yeah Willie Mitchell

Bari Track

Exus Trek

Ton Of Dynamite

Do the pearl girl

Don't Pretend

Same old thing

Cigarette ashes

The gallop

Right On

FRANTIC ESCAPE!

There ain't one there I don't like. Don't understand today's pooh-poohing of intsrumentals. They remind of the way we were.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!