Sad News Nige Shaw RIP was: Well Known Soul Sourcer Not To Well

Guest Marcelle

There are so many things that I want to say, but none seem enough.

We are so sorry for your loss of Nige and our thoughts are with you all at this dreadful time ..... xx

Lindsay .... Im sorry "aint enough" darling for the pain you are going & will go through my heart aches for you sending love & hugs

Nige B .... I will miss seeing & hearing the Chuckle Brothers together, those winter nights just wont be the same without the "sun filled attaire of Shirts & Shorts"

Marcelle & Chris W

Edited by Marcelle
Social source share

• Replies 406
  • Views 35.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Gone From Our Lives

But Not From Our Hearts

Sleep Well Nige

Our Thoughts Are With His Family And Friends

Bernadette & Sid Jones

Our dear friend Nige........

Only special thoughts,

Kev and Sam

Social source share

Linda has been in touch today, absolutely shattered, shocked and so very very sad. They will be bringing Nige back to Stafford on Tuesday so that he will be near his family.

The funeral will be held on Tuesday 27th June at Stafford Crematorium but a time has not been arranged as yet, I will post up as soon as Linda has confirmation.

The Crematorium is on Tixall Road, Stafford and is a couple of miles out of the main town. I will find out the post code and put this up with the time when I have more details.

Nige's parents would love to meet you all and everyone is invited to celebrate Nige's life.

Social source share

Cheltenham Soul nights have been temporarily stopped.

Nige was due to dj at the last one and attended regulary.

Have been in touch with the Saracens Club.

Have booked it, they have donated the Hall FREE

So we will be putting on a Nige Shaw Memorial Night.

Need some input on where to send the money

I dont want a hot debate

so PM me and i will announce what's best

THE DATE IS FRIDAY 22ND SEPTEMBER

HOPE YOU CAN ALL ATTEND

MANY DJ'S HAVE SO FAR OFFERED THERE SERVICES FREE OF CHARGE TO HELP A WORTHY CAUSE

Pete French

Edited by MothsinWallet
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Very sad news.....I only met Nige on a couple of occasions but found him to be a very friendly chap.

My thoughts go to his family and friends

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I havn't been on soulsource for a little while so I had no idea what was going on till yesterday.

Very, very sad news. What a nice bloke he was, funny, interesting and very

genuine...seems like only 5 mins ago that Jo Springthorpe and I were talking to him up

in Stoke. The last time I spoke to him was the last time I was over in Britain. He

couldn't make it up to the Leicester nighter so we had a good chat on the phone round at Stu's and he helped me identify some 45s I'd found in the attic. We were making plans for him to come over to Sweden next year to DJ over here...playing the 100-Club and DJing internationally were his last two big dreams on the scene.

I'm so glad he got to do the 100-club anyway, I know he was so chuffed about it. I feel gutted and very sad...all choked up. His loss goes far beyond the bounderies of Britain and out into the world, I shall light a candle for him outside the house tonight.

I won't be able to make the funeral but would very much like to come home for the memorial night in Sept and celebrate the old lad in the company of his other friends...

Jim and Jo

Edited by Jim.
Social source share

Guest sharynm

Just heard the sad news about Nige and felt I had to tell the story of myself and Dave Holt nearly losing Nige his job on Stone FM when he interviewed us about Lowton and northern soul. Needless to say after that encounter I knew that Nigel was a top bloke and always game for a laugh, escpecailly at this years Prestatyn when I was supposed to be DJ ing in the Queen Vic on Friday afternoon, but soon reaslised I had left the keys to my record boxes at home. Nigel very kindly took me on a whirlwind tour of all of Prestatyns hardware shops trying to find a hacksaw....................with no luck!

But ever the optimist Nige said 'never mind Kev, somebody will have a hacksaw'

Sadly missed

Kev Murphy and Sharyn

Social source share

Very sad to hear the news about Nige Shaw, we met him just the once when as ever he was supporting Nige Brown at a soul night in Pilsley.

Our condolences to his family and to his best mate Nige Brown.

Barry and Pam Cooper Chris and Sharon Cooper. Pilsley Soul

Social source share

I have spoken to Linda today and she has asked me to pass on the following arrangements for Nige's funeral, as stated before it's on Tuesday 27th June.

1.00pm at Stafford Crematorium, Tixall Road, Stafford ST18 0XZ and afterwards at Stafford Rangers FC, Marston Road, Stafford ST16 3BX.

The family have requested that all the men who have them, please can you wear "loud" shirts, for obvious reasons! They have requested family flowers only but if anyone would like to make donations these will be going to the Air Ambulance Appeal, this is such a worthwhile cause as they operate on public donations only. Linda also said after consideration of where the very generous collection made at Cleethorpes would be best going, they would also like this to go to the Air Ambulance fund.

If anyone needs anymore information or directions etc then please PM me and I'm sure Nige Brown won't mind either.

Mandy

Social source share

:yes:

I hope it's a big club Mothsinwallet - think they'll be a lot of peeps attending! Can anyone give details of local B&B's?

The Irish Oak, Lower High Street, Cheltenham, 01242 269586

Social source share

Very Very Sad Time.

Met Nige about 6 years ago. At the time we both shared an interest in the same soul girl. We became good friends.He allways made the time to talk to everyone that turned up at his doo,s. Ii will never forget his last set at Heavenly Blocked. He played The Panic is On. Before having to leave to be back in his hospital bed. A last Good Bye. And a tear in his eye. And a promise to have a nighter dedicated to him.

Are thought are with Nige,s Family, Lyndsey and Nige Brown, at this very sad time.

Good Bye MY Friend

Rest In Piece

Shane & Bev.x

Social source share

I have spoken to Linda today and she has asked me to pass on the following arrangements for Nige's funeral, as stated before it's on Tuesday 27th June.

1.00pm at Stafford Crematorium, Tixall Road, Stafford ST18 0XZ and afterwards at Stafford Rangers FC, Marston Road, Stafford ST16 3BX.

The family have requested that all the men who have them, please can you wear "loud" shirts, for obvious reasons! .

mandy

Thanks for all the details , Myself and Mr Rimmer where only discussing last night the possibility of the family agreeing on us chaps wearing loud shirts, but its sorted.

Thanks

Steve

Social source share

Guest WeeLass Vonny

Very saddened to hear about Nigel, especially as had such fighting spirit before & after his operation.(So very unfair)! Only knew him for a short while but felt like I had known him years, such a strong friendly character. Glad I had privledge of meeting this lovely man. Thoughts with his Soul Brother Nige B & all his loved ones..

God Bless & watch over you & your closest!

Vonny X

Social source share

Haven't been able to post since I heard the news, but that doesn't change how sad I am and how sorry I feel for his family and closest mates, especially Nige B. That great niter in the sky just got a lot more fun though...

Pete, I hope you'll let me claim my usual spot at the Sarries on Set 22 as a tribute!

Hippo.

Social source share

Haven't been able to post since I heard the news, but that doesn't change how sad I am and how sorry I feel for his family and closest mates, especially Nige B. That great niter in the sky just got a lot more fun though...

Pete, I hope you'll let me claim my usual spot at the Sarries on Set 22 as a tribute!

Hippo.

on the list

loud shirt essential ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Still hard to grasp that nige is actualy gone,seems that its always the nice guys that go first. On the monday before cleggy he rang me to let me know of my usual cock up on the middleton flyers,he and nige brown do alternate dj spots at at the middleton niters as usual i had browny down for july and it should have been nige,he told me he thought he would be fit inuf to do the gig and asked if that could be his comeback nite sadly we all now know that wont be the case.Im sure nige will do the spot and im sure our friend nige will be watching to make sure its a good un as usual.Pete French has asked me to look after the second room at the saracens memorial nite which will be for niges dj m8s from the north west so anybody interested from this end give me a bell on 07792 164683 or send a message ranting_1.gif .

Social source share

The family have requested that all the men who have them, please can you wear "loud" shirts, for obvious reasons! They have requested family flowers only but if anyone would like to make donations these will be going to the Air Ambulance Appeal, this is such a worthwhile cause as they operate on public donations only. Linda also said after consideration of where the very generous collection made at Cleethorpes would be best going, they would also like this to go to the Air Ambulance fund.

If anyone needs anymore information or directions etc then please PM me and I'm sure Nige Brown won't mind either.

Mandy

would like distructions mandy

think i can make it ok

use

keith@soulsearcherrecords.co.uk

x x x

Social source share

I only met Nige a few times over the last couple of years, mainly in Sheridans. Always a twinkle in his eye and was chatty and friendly to newcomers and stalwarts alike and put me onto a few records. No big ego, just a nice fella.

Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. Nige.

Rich

Social source share

Guest janey

I only met Nige a few times over the last couple of years, mainly in Sheridans. Always a twinkle in his eye and was chatty and friendly to newcomers and stalwarts alike and put me onto a few records. No big ego, just a nice fella.

Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. Nige.

Rich

I did not know Nige, but I would like to express my deepest and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends during this very,very sad and difficult time.

R.I.P. Nige.....God Bless....

Janey

Social source share

Hi All

Spent a couple of hours with Linda this afternoon and shes asked me to put this out on Soul Source.......

" If anyone attending Nigel's Funeral Celebration next week has a reading or would like to say a few short words then contact Linda Shaw by THIS WEDNESDAY at the LATEST My Contact numbers are 01785 602497 or Mobile 07989 120494

Thank you ALL for your love and kindness

Linda Shaw & all the Shaw Family "

You will all notibe the word "CELEBRATION" above and thats EXACTLY what next Tuesday will be all about.

The service will NOT be religious its gonna be HUMANIST!

Please wear your favourite COLOURFUL clothes, not just the Blokes !!! LADIES ALSO!!

this is want SHAWY wanted!! ranting_1.gif He wanted bright colours and music to be played. :lol:

Of course if you choose to wear the tradional Black that is not a problem but i would imagine most Soulies will hounor Shawys wishes!! :D

Thanks

Nige B

Social source share

Guest partytimegirl

Just to let you all know after speaking to Nig B I will be using some of the money raised at Cleethorpes to pay for a flower arrangement, this will represent all his friends from the soul scene, and I can tell you now this will be something that you will all be proud of.

I know if you are like me you would want to go along with your own flowers but please respect the wishes of the family and on the day give a donation.

The rest of the raffle money will be given to his parents and they want to put this towards a head stone. I cannot think of any better use, what a great idea.

All the ladies out there, i am going to wear the brightest colours possible on Tuesday as I know this is what Nig wanted.

Tracy xx

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So sorry to here of this loss of a true soulie.

RIP with best wishes to all his closest and dearest he has left behind.

Bearsy

Social source share

Nige I will miss you.I will miss speeding up and down motorways in your cars.I will miss your dj spots and most of all I will miss you.

You lived life how you wanted to.Respect due.

Steve Strange.

Social source share

Guest matt tees

NIGE SHAW.

MY 100 CLUB PARTNER

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

REST IN PEACE MATE

NICK.

I have recently got back from a dreadful weekend and have waited until now to pen a few words. In the last 18 months I have become very close to the two Nigels Shaw and Brown and recently have even adopted me as the 3rd Nigel, sounds silly but meant a hell of a lot to me. While I was on detachment to RAF Stafford, 18 months ago we spent 2 different nights out in Stafford, away from the usual soul nights and just out as mates, they were 2 blinding nights and i never laughed so much listening to the terrible twins, telling me what they used to get up to when they were young lads, in fact they will be always young to me. When nigel moved down to Weston, we had many great chats on the phone telling me what a crap DJ I am and how good it was! nigel brill sense of humour was immense. Nigel's taste in music was sublime and Nigel's taste in shirts, one line jokes and smutty comments to the ladies was legendary. Nigel was a larger than life figure who lived his life to the full and will never be forgotten. I am missing you so much, who else is going to teach me how to be a DJ, because you were the master! I saw Nigel several times in Weston hospital but my last time physically spent with him was at the Weston All Dayer which was a real credit because as expected he put together a superb DJ line up which was absolutely fantastic day. Nigel was really proud of that event and so he should be.

I spoke a couple of times since then, but never managed to see him in Bristol Hospital. Take care Bro, don't forget to play Buddy Smith up there! Chaps XXXXXXXXXX

Lyndsey, Linda and Family my heartfelt condolences to you. R.I.P. Nigel Loud Shirt Shaw

Social source share

I first spoke to Nige at the Cardiff allnighter last year,

He tried to tell me that the lighter I'd stolen from him was his..

That was it we became instant mates ,

We'd spend hour's happily bickering and talking music on the phone.

I was chuffed to bit's when he brought a record I'd played him,

The last set he done at heavenly blocked was the first time he played it out , the record was Steeplechase Never coming Back .

R.I.P my friend I'll miss you xx

condolences to Nige B Lynsey and of course all of the family.

Social source share

I'm so glad I got Nige on at the 100 Club recently. He'd asked for a spot some years back but with my usual inefficiency it took yonks before he actually got on the stage. In the time inbetween he never gave me a hard time and when he finally made it there he was excellent. It was a memorable night.

Rightly confident in his abilities he loved the scene to pieces, was totally positive and livened up any nighter he attended with his undoubted charm (and pasty legs).

My commiserations to all his family and friends.

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Soul Sam did a set at Brighouse last Friday and played Robert Tanner's "Sweet Memories" for Nigel Shaw. Didnt know the man personally but after reading the posts on here I wished I had met him. By the sound of it there will be a hell of a party in Soul Heaven. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

blush.gif

Social source share

The last set he done at heavenly blocked was the first time he played it out , the record was Steeplechase Never coming Back .

R.I.P my friend I'll miss you xx

condolences to Nige B Lynsey and of course all of the family.

I saw him at the other Weston Allnighter a couple of months ago, I'd met him just a couple of times. He saw my for sales box and picked out the Steeplechase as described above - telling me about Dean Parish. He then proceeded to get 3 other mates over to my box and they all bought 45's.

He was really the first person I'd met who really raved over Deon Jackson apart from me and I listened to him play a set in Bristol late last year.

In a smoky pub on the wrong side of town he played a set of what I described as 100 club monsters including The Sinceres, The Sunlovers, and that Deon Jackson "Sun" stonker. The thing that really struck me was that I' d never met anyone who was so totally infectious about what he had on the decks and whenever you watched him play he would be scanning the room to see who else was digging the 45 he was playing and would start singing along with you and getting off with you enjoying yourself.

What an inspiration...... I feel proud to have known him.

Social source share

Guest denmac

what a loss to us all..nige i wish you had written that track listing for the stafford tape you gave me. i am still looking for many of them. we spoke about tunes that defied labels and crossed bounderies. it was`nt all about northern. but whatever we talked about it was SOULFULL.. this said it all about you. cheers mate...

denmac

Social source share

what a loss to us all..nige i wish you had written that track listing for the stafford tape you gave me. i am still looking for many of them. we spoke about tunes that defied labels and crossed bounderies. it was`nt all about northern. but whatever we talked about it was SOULFULL.. this said it all about you. cheers mate...

denmac

Didn't know Nige, but met Lindsey recently. My heart felt condolence's go out to Lindsey, family and friends. Very sad to lose a fellow soul sourcer, but Nige was also well thought of on the scene from reading the lovely things people have written on here. To be honest after seeing his photo I recognise him, but didn't actually meet him.

Glad bright colours and music at his funeral, think that is so appropiate for "soulies" as it's the way we all live our lives................

Karen x

Social source share

I never met Nige but I can tell from all that has been said about him on this site that he has lightened a few hearts and put a few smiles on faces over the years and I feel saddened that this particular friendship has passed me by as my life, like many others, would have been a lot richer for the experience.

It transpires that a lot of people I know did themselves know Nige and I'm not really sure how come I never met him but maybe it's because I left Northern behind way back in the day when Wigan closed. I'm 45. Since then I've been an avid lover of "tricky Disco" (yep Modern) so maybe that's why...our paths will have been going in different directions.

If it helps I know exactly what you are all going through right now because I lost my best mate who was like my sister to cancer about 4 years ago at Christmas. My dearest Steph. We were 5 months apart in age and I never knew what it was like to be without her until I lost her cos we were always together as our parents were best mates, we went through all our milestones together, you name it we did it as a team...Wigan, weddings, funerals (we lost her older brother to leukaemia when we were about 12), graduations, birthdays, births, christenings,any old excuse for a p--s up really...and then all of a sudden she was gone, in her 41st year....far too early to be taken from us that's for sure. It still feels like I've lost my right arm but the pain and the hurt isn't as bad now....it's getting easier with each passing day and there's never a truer saying than "time is a great healer" because it is. Not a day goes by without me thinking of her and whenever I remember her its always as she was on her wedding day when she looked so beautiful and was so very happy and I was by her side as her Matron of Honour...

Well I hope that you can take some comfort from my words and seek solace from the fact that all the pain and hurt that you are feeling right now will ease with the passage of time. And of course you'll always have your memories and nobody can ever take them away from you.

My thoughts are with Nige's family and friends at this sad time and I'm sure that a celebration of his life will be a fitting final tribute for him.

Anyway rest in love and peace Nige lad and seeing as we never met in this life then hopefully we'll meet in the next one.

Social source share

Just though I'd mention some of the Memorial Night arrangements

Cathy Lyster is organising a raffle and looking for Donations of prizes

Lyndsey has requested that the proceeds go to the Air Ambulance

so unless there are any problems with that, It will happen

We are looking for sponsers for the Flyer

PM me if interested, Need 5 @ £25 each

Social source share

nige, rest in peace mate ,

lorraine says she still havnt found that bike you kept talking to her about, i know there is only three people would understand that , you, myself &lorraine our little joke,

one day we will meet again, so untill we do rest in peace ole butty, god bless you, and ktf up there,

sleep tight, and so-long for now, love ya wazz&lorraine.

Social source share

I don't know what to say. Found out early hours this morning about Nige and I don't think I've stopped crying yet. Had to read through all this to actually believe it was true. We're gonna miss you so much. Love to your family and Lindsay, rest in peace babe.

love Rainy and Stu xxx

Social source share

Guest remus

Nige,

I will miss your mischeivious,twinkling eyes when you wind me up, your good nature and your genuine care and concern for others, even your awful jokes.

I am glad you found happiness with Lindsey and were in the care of your loving family and close friends.

Put a request in to Jackie for me for Beautiful Day.

will miss you and it was a pleasure to know you. rest in peace mate. Deepest sympathies to your family and all your friends.

love Klair xxx

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Very sad news. I only knew Nigel by sight- it was hard to miss those lovely 'peacock' shirts- but I can see how much he was loved by these posts. Condolences to his family & many friends. RIP.

Wendy x

Social source share

posted via comments on front page news

I am going to miss that warm smile sparkling smile and most of all his silly jokes .

He was one of the best friends anyone could wish for ,he would give you the loud shirt off his back if he could.

Sorry I can't make the celebration of his life on tuesday .. all those who are close to him will be in my thoughts.

We all loved you Shawy XXX

Carms

x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert