Weekly Poll: Northern Exposure In The Mainstream?

Mike

Northern Exposure in the Mainstream Media  

1. 1. Northern Exposure in the Mainstream has it all been a good thing?

• yep
    • who cares
    • nope

Hardly a day goes by nowadays without stumbling upon a 'northern' reference in the mainstream world

Tv soundtracks, adverts, indie press , fashion shows, films etc etc

the question is for this weekly poll..

with the benefit of hindsight has it all been a good thing?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If bringing great and otherwise forgotten music into the consciousness of the public at large is a good thing, then I vote an absolute yes.

If keeping great and otherwise forgotten music hidden from the public at large because of a sense of elitism is the goal, then I vote no!

I wonder how forgotten artists feel when/if they learn a song they recorded 40/50 years ago has been picked up for exposure on the "Northern" scene. And then they learn that a DJ who professes to love the music and its origins has crossed out/covered up their name for the sake of 15 minutes worth of personal glory and a fast buck!

..............................................................................................A very good point and well made...... What does the poll starter think on this question.

Social source share

..............................................................................................A very good point and well made...... What does the poll starter think on this question.

take it thats to me me stevie... yep?

the 'poll starter' view :rofl: is

covering up affecting release sales is just a northern urban legend imo,

if you can name one example of artists sales revenue of any 45 being hit by it being covered up then throw it up

i can't think of any ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

but its just not the soul scene that covers up records !

yep, though myself would say that the art of actually covering up aint really got ought to do with the poll

as the poll is more about the "mainstream" effect over the past years, as in has it been a good or bad thing, rather than what could be called a sort of self contained thing

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's not a matter of revenue, it's about respect. It's also about what the priority is - the dj's fame or the artist's recognition.

At the end of the proverbial day though, cover-ups are an integral part of the scene (and others, as has been pointed out), and nothing will change that.

The point is relevant to the poll because it's about exposure. The question is whether exposure of 'the scene' is a good or bad thing. Exposure of the scene and exposure of the music go hand-in-hand. And I can't see that exposing fantastic but forgotten music to the public-at-large is ever a bad thing. It certainly isn't from the artists' point of view.

Social source share

It's a double edge sword. The secret society aspect is what made the scene so attractive. Fantastic music that you couldn't hear unless you went to the clubs. Now you can listen to almost anything without leaving your armchair, and there isn't anything new (quality) to go out for.

Hopefully the exposure will get more youngsters interested. but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One of the issues,is that when the media get involved,they invariably start re-writing history.

For example:-

In last Saturday`s Guardian there was a review of Liverpool/Brighton/Birmingham and Stoke.

In the "culture" section the writer told us that "Northern Soul" originated from Stoke(Torch).

We all know that`s not the case-but what about those that don`t have our knowledge?

Definitely a double-edged sword,for me.

Social source share

Interesting to see the vote at this early stage being quite even, yet most people who've commented have agreed it's a good thing. Mm, must be the 'secret society' lurking in the dark corners :g:

It's got to be a good thing in my opinion.

Linky.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It's not a matter of revenue, it's about respect. It's also about what the priority is - the dj's fame or the artist's recognition.

At the end of the proverbial day though, cover-ups are an integral part of the scene (and others, as has been pointed out), and nothing will change that.

The point is relevant to the poll because it's about exposure. The question is whether exposure of 'the scene' is a good or bad thing. Exposure of the scene and exposure of the music go hand-in-hand. And I can't see that exposing fantastic but forgotten music to the public-at-large is ever a bad thing. It certainly isn't from the artists' point of view.

The artists got diddly squat recognition when they made the records (except a few) so someone covering it up yonks later has no relevance...........l remember talking to Don Gardner at prestatyn about his records and he told me that jimmy vanleer released them without his knowledge at all.........and this happened in loads of instances......so the recognition is mostly irrelavent and a tad to late....to matter

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

good if you like handbagger nights !! :wicked:... no seriously as far as the original question goes i think any exposure is good..whether new blood thinks whats that? sounds good..where can i hear that played?....or if it reminds an oldie to start living his life again while he still can,ironically away from the tv!

thought the question was about the scene as opposed to good for the artists...if the scene is healthy is stands to reason its gotta be good for those who can still sing or those few who may actually have the rights to songs being reissued...although i dont think many singers/musicians will have any rights to songs exept those BIG one such as womack,mayfield etc

dont think covering up has ever stopped artists making money or has anything to do with the original question IMO....especially years after the track was recorded and the artists got there few dollars to eat that week in a lot of cases!

sure weve been here before...once or twice :)

dean

Social source share

good if you like handbagger nights !! :wicked:... no seriously as far as the original question goes i think any exposure is good..whether new blood thinks whats that? sounds good..where can i hear that played?....or if it reminds an oldie to start living his life again while he still can,ironically away from the tv!

thought the question was about the scene as opposed to good for the artists...if the scene is healthy is stands to reason its gotta be good for those who can still sing or those few who may actually have the rights to songs being reissued...although i dont think many singers/musicians will have any rights to songs exept those BIG one such as womack,mayfield etc

dont think covering up has ever stopped artists making money or has anything to do with the original question IMO....especially years after the track was recorded and the artists got there few dollars to eat that week in a lot of cases!

sure weve been here before...once or twice :)

dean

I'd say not really , the question was sort of aimed to be from a different angle than past discussions

as in "with the benefit of hindsight has it all been a good thing?"

which after a few years of sucking it all up, thought may be interesting in seeing what's the views ?

Social source share

As it's been pointed out it's a double edged sword, for those who's bias is towards the rarer scene it's hardly made a blip but most are back or starting out on the Oldies scene & it brings with it those who genuinely go for the music & those who attend to relive their youth (As we all do to a certain extent) & think they are the Dogs danglers, owning an area of dancefloor & securing it physically if need be, plus the long bar hours feed them fighting juice, I know this happens at "Normal" venues but that's the reason I avoided them in the first place all those years ago, I've also noticed thefts of things on the up (Myself being a victim, as with the facing off with drunk knobheads) & it's becoming a caricature of itself with the fashion, look back at pictures of Wigan, Mecca & Cleethorpes etc, hardly a vest,badge or baggy in site. I think however give it a couple of years till the nostalgia dies & it vanishes from everyday & it will move onto the next by-gone trend. :wave:

Take care, be safe & remember," I'm in with the In crowd, I go where the In crowd goes",

Spot. :shades:

p.s. Sorry Mike the answer is "NO", there's to many ars**oles I disliked the first time around returning. :shhh::boxing:

It sounds like it.
Social source share

I have to say in the main NO!

Exposure is fine as long as it doesn`t get to the stage it was in the 80s with Black Pudding Bertha, those insufferable Wigans Ovation and those fecking TOTP dancists.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

last day or so before closing

maybe would have been interesting to hear views from artists or those connected/involved, record labels, promoters, record sellers and so on

as in has the likes of 'match of the day' plays made their world better ?

but no great shakes

next one coming up,

as said if you do have a decent, sharp but easy to word/answer idea for the weekly poll on here

then drop it on me via pm

Social source share

Paddywack, the "In Crowd" thing was not about me, I'm not that conceited or egotistical, it referred to those wishing to jump onto the revival bandwagon to be seen at the forefront of the latest hip trend, till they tire of it in a couple of years,just like in the 70's. :shhh::hatsoff2:

KTF my ar*e, Spot. :shades:

Social source share

If bringing great and otherwise forgotten music into the consciousness of the public at large is a good thing, then I vote an absolute yes.

If keeping great and otherwise forgotten music hidden from the public at large because of a sense of elitism is the goal, then I vote no!

I wonder how forgotten artists feel when/if they learn a song they recorded 40/50 years ago has been picked up for exposure on the "Northern" scene. And then they learn that a DJ who professes to love the music and its origins has crossed out/covered up their name for the sake of 15 minutes worth of personal glory and a fast buck!

Been down this road before.A lot of the artists made no money at all at the time,because of lack of sales,or dodgy management.Or both.Covering records is about preserving anonimity for as long as possible,a dj's cutting edge if you like.

By playing out,and owning these c/u's,tell me how that affects an artist 40 years on.? In many cases,the artists recordings would ahve been buried long ago,never to see light of day again.Its a bit of NS fun for us, and many artists have benefited from the digging and tracking down done by lots a guys out there,when their careers stalled all those year ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

last day or so before closing

maybe would have been interesting to hear views from artists or those connected/involved, record labels, promoters, record sellers and so on

as in has the likes of 'match of the day' plays made their world better ?

but no great shakes

next one coming up,

as said if you do have a decent, sharp but easy to word/answer idea for the weekly poll on here

then drop it on me via pm

ah well, you can only try :rofl:

now closed onto the next one

Social source share