Does Modern Soul Suck?

I vividly remember the respected sixties collector Rod Shard going into a catatonic fit when they played Ronnie Walker's 'You've Got To Try Harder' at the Mecca. The next day he changed his name by deed-poll to modernsoulsucks.

Personally, I love the stuff.

That Timeless Legend tune is a nice little toe-tapper, for example.

What is your favourite modern soul record of all time please?

(PS Great records please not familiar old whinges, its time to heal wounds not settle old scores)

Social source share

• Replies 184
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I vividly remember the respected sixties collector Rod Shard going into a catatonic fit when they played Ronnie Walker's 'You've Got To Try Harder' at the Mecca. The next day he changed his name by deed-poll to modernsoulsucks.

(PS Great records please not familiar old whinges, its time to heal wounds not settle old scores)

============

Perhaps you should give some guidelines as in dates: From - To, cos otherwise you're going to get an argument about what constitutes modern?

Winnie:-)

PS. To save Baz's typing finger

"yes it does suck and it's disco" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Totally agree mate. Found an old B&S article the other day where Frank Elson tries to bring sense to the whole situation. I'll try and scan it in a few days - if this thread is still going then.......

So many classics but played a raft yesterday, stand out tunes for me (yesterday) where:

Curtis - How Can I Tell Her

Jackson Sisters - I Believe in Miracles

Lenny Welch - You Picked A Fine Time

Alfie Davidson - Love Is A Serious Business

David Sea - Night After Night

Oscar Perry - I Got What You Need

My favourite of all time? At the moment:

Glenn Jones - I Am Somebody

That enough classics for you?

John. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Totally agree mate. Found an old B&S article the other day where Frank Elson tries to bring sense to the whole situation. I'll try and scan it in a few days - if this thread is still going then.......

So many classics but played a raft yesterday, stand out tunes for me (yesterday) where:

Curtis - How Can I Tell Her

Lenny Welch - You Picked A Fine Time

Alfie Davidson - Love Is A Serious Business

David Sea - Night After Night

Oscar Perry - I Got What You Need

My favourite of all time? At the moment:

Glenn Jones - I Am Somebody

That enough classics for you?

John. :thumbsup:

Bobby Woodruff..what took you so long.

The Atanta Disco Band-Bad Luck

Creative Source- Dont be Afraid

Life-Tell me Why

Bits and Pieces--Keep on running--FANTASTIC

Mandrill-Never die.....although cheap I will never, ever sell this record.

Social source share

Bobby Woodruff..what took you so long.And his brother Stanley??????/

The Atanta Disco Band-Bad Luck

Creative Source- Dont be Afraid

Life-Tell me Why

Bits and Pieces--Keep on running--FANTASTIC

Mandrill-Never die.....although cheap I will never, ever sell this record.

I m going to say it...IMVHO....thirty year old music isnt modern!

x

Social source share

Hi Stuart.... I can't personally really name just one record.... my tastes change daily/weekly but my observation on "modern soul" and other "genres" currently, due to how you explain Rod Shard's attitude, is as follows and I wondered what your thoughts were....

To me it all boils down to the ever ongoing "pigeon holed" attitude and the ever growing "terms" used within the scene.... like Winnie says it depends on the dates or era you choose to pick....

Stuff like Timeless Legend and others of that ilk were openly played at Clifton Hall (1979-83) under the one "rare soul" banner and was equally accepted by the dance floor alongside the traditional 60's stuff.... an original "one floor one music" venue that moved the scene on....

The "terms" I originally remember coming into being back then on the flyers were "oldies", the 60's stuff whether known or not, and "newies", the Timeless Legend, King Tutt, type of sound.... "modern soul" hadn't been thought of as a term at that time....

Then there was the emergance of "60's newies" added into the frame.... what! I remember being the attitudes of some, two types of "newies".... and so, I'm not too sure when, the new term of the day I remember being banded about was "modern soul" that differentiated between the "new 60's" and "new sounds".... the start of the "split" between the two scenes IMO.... the promoters of Clifton Hall moved onto Bradford Queens Hall (and Bensons) and then had two rooms which is where I first saw the two terms, northern and modern, used for a venue....

The "newies" or "modern" sounds that were big back in the day of venues like Clifton Hall and Bradford Queens Hall seem to have no place on either the "northern" or "modern" scenes.... it's like they never existed or are hard to place in a "genre"....

John Alden mentions a few tunes that cause debate on whether they are "northern" or "modern"....

Paul Donely mentions Bits 'n' Pieces.... surely "northern" or "70's northern".... but, again,some class as "modern"....

What I do find very strange these days is that "modern soul" as a genre seems to be now associated with the general 70's sound that was played back then as "oldies" (Bits 'n' Pieces as an example) with a "jump" to 90's, Y2K stuff and the "night club" things of soulful house and soulful garage....

Moving on to today, just look at the amount of "pigeon holed genres" we seem to have accepted or use these days.... northern, oldies, classics, floorfillers, pop soul, blue eyed soul, 70's, 70's oldies, 70's modern, up tempo, mid tempo, crossover, 80's, modern, two step, Y2K, modern oldies (huh), R&B, nothern R&B, club soul, upfront, underplayed, the list is endless....

The latest "split" seems to be people saying that R&B needs its own room (recent thread) and the arguements you have over what is and isn't R&B, i.e. gritty R&B, bluesy R&B, northern R&B and whatever other term you care to use....

Just how I see all this "genre" stuff evolving over the years of course and why we will always have unresolvable debates on "our soul music" and where it belongs/should be played/the genre it fits :thumbsup: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

"yes it does suck and it's disco" :D

:thumbsup::lol: Why thank you Win :D

Jackson Sisters, Modern?

Sorry to say but this is more funk than any thing else shades.gif

Social source share

x

My Dear Cat - it really depends on the context. In the context of 60's soul then yes modern soul is 70s soul. In the context of the fact that soul has continue to be made until now then 70s soul isn't modern at all. After years of questioning it I must say I'm ok now with calling 70's soul "modern soul".... :thumbsup:

I never knew modernsoulsucks was Rod Shard - he of that great record stall in Manchester fame. Sam still talks affectionately about the rekkids he's had out of there!!!

Social source share

True tho innit? Is Modern Soul anything from the last 30 years or the last 3 years? Does it have to have been played at the Mecca or crossed over to the Northern Scene? Some people can embrace it all, some only like it if it's something the other kids in the playground don't have cos they nicked it off the net. Some think its all disco, some think anything made before 1970 is automatically crap. Therefore, my favourite Modern records are- The Carstairs Jean Carn 'Was That All It Was' The Fantastic Puzzles 4 Below Zero Debbie Taylor 'Just Don't Pay' The Dramatics 'What You See Is What You Get' The Dells 'Your Song' Tyrone Barclay "Man Of Value' ....and loads of others.

============

Perhaps you should give some guidelines as in dates: From - To, cos otherwise you're going to get an argument about what constitutes modern?

"yes it does suck and it's disco" :thumbsup:

Social source share

x

TOTALLY AGREE...how about Adeva-Where is the Love? :thumbsup:

Social source share

As I am that well-respected, charismatic, babe-magnet of a 60's collector to whom Stuart refers I am pretty certain I did not throw a wobbler on hearing Ronnie Walker at the Mecca. To my recollection the only time I was really miffed was when Levine played Gloria Gaynor "Never can say goodbye" early doors and Francis T. skipped across the floor to let Levine know that he had plumbed new depths!!

To further illustrate this monstrous calumny, John, are you aware that I actually discovered Curtis [Midwest Distributors, St. Louis] so I know a catchy Modern 45 when I hear it. Modesty only prevents me from mentioning that I also discovered True Image "Im not over you yet". Oh shit!!

My fave modern tracks which I own in my modern box not far from where Im sitting now are Ty Karim Romark and Elvin Spencer Twinight, and Velvelettes "Needle in a haystack"

My choice of "modernsoulsucks" is really a not very articulate frustrated cry as I feel that lately modern[anything from 70's oldies to current R&B] and earlyR&B are pushing 60's Northern to one side in this particular area. It's gotta stop!!

So thank you Stuart for putting me in it and I can only put this down to jealousy on your part as I am neither ginger nor Scottish.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Some people can embrace it all, some only like it if it's something the other kids in the playground don't have cos they nicked it off the net.

Can you nick 30 year old records off the net????

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

obviously being an r'n'b person i'm not a huge fan of modern and therefore my choices will be naive compared to those that like the stuff but my faves are ....

luther vandross - never too much

jocelyn brown - somebody elses guy

drizabone - pressure

Social source share

Guest Dodger

I dunno Rog-can you? whistling.gif

Never tried it Simon. I was just wondering what you were alluding to with your comment about nicking records off the net? I presumed this thread was about 70s 'modern' soul? :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Almeta Latimore

OOOOh yes Win! Just seeing her name written down gives me the shivers. Fantastic record!! If you don't like this, you have no soul (IMVHO of course)

Social source share

Lost me now Rog. whistling.gif

Never tried it Simon. I was just wondering what you were alluding to with your comment about nicking records off the net? I presumed this thread was about 70s 'modern' soul? :wicked:
Social source share

Time for this Months "slag off Modern" thread is it?

A very good friend of mine is a very big Robert Johnson fan & to him 60s soul is Modern so i guess the answer to the question has to be a resounding yes.

If you don't know who Robert Johnson is don't bother doing a search as you wouldn't understand my point anyway.

Just read these Robert Johnson lyrics from 1936/7 & see if they sound a little familiar.

I'm gointa get up in the mornin

I believe I'll dust my broom

I'm gointa get up in the mornin

I believe I'll dust my broom

Girlfriend the black man you've been lovingirlfriend can get my room

I'm gonna write a lettertelephone everytown I know

I'm gonna write a lettertelephone every town I know

If I can't find her in West Helenashe must be in East Monroe

I knowI don't want no womanwants every downtown man she meets

I don't want no womanwants every downtown man she meets

She's a no good dooneythey shouldn't allow her on the street

I believe, I believe I'll go back homeI believe,

I believe I'll go back home

You can mistreat me here babe,but you can't when I'm back home

And I'm gettin up in the morninI believe I'll dust my broom

I'm gettin up in the morninI believe I'll dust my broom

Girlfriend the black man you been lovingirlfriend can get my room

I'm gonna call up Chineysee is my good girl over there

I'm gonna call up Chinasee is my good girl over there

I can't find her on Phillipine's islandshe must be in Ethiopia somewhere

post-3218-1147718843.jpg post-3218-1147718876.jpg

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest hammy

Just how I see all this "genre" stuff evolving over the years of course and why we will always have unresolvable debates on "our soul music" and where it belongs/should be played/the genre it fits :wicked: ....

mark

This is a well thought through and thought provoking post. whistling.gif

Hammy

Social source share

x

Hi ,HOW can it be modern ,a lost "term" or "description" for "our" music.BUT if it sounds good then I don't give a monkeys...about the era released from........ATB Steve

Social source share

I'm afraid I can't really grasp the idea of regarding some of the oldies mentioned in this thread, which I heard in the 70's at Cleethorpes for example, as modern. Bits and Pieces could pass as a 60's record IMO. whistling.gif

I thought modern soul was something you identified by the different sound.... Drizabone and DJ Genesis being examples mentioned of what you what you might hear in a separate modern room.

Social source share

I'd rather you were a goth too,then we wouldn't have to endure your pointless,non contributory negative post on a SOUL site

Hi Pete, If a soul record is good to ME I do not look at , or consider its release date......hows about ...Milton Parker?ATB Steve

Social source share

I'm afraid I can't really grasp the idea of regarding some of the oldies mentioned in this thread, which I heard in the 70's at Cleethorpes for example, as modern. Bits and Pieces could pass as a 60's record IMO. :wicked:

yeah in bits and pieces on the floor, like Petes Cairstairs record whistling.gif

One of the best 'modern' records to come out of the 80's has to be Don't wanna see myself :lol:

Social source share

Guest miff

Getting a bit feed up with this Oldies Vs Modern S**t How can the year a record was made

determine if its good or not. You either like a record or you dont simple as that

How can a 70s record be considerd as modern soul its 25 years old, thats older then the oldies where when a lot off us used to go to the nighters in the 70s

So lets just get on with it and call it all northern soul

Top Modern Soul Ron Hall - The way you love me

Social source share

I'm afraid I can't really grasp the idea of regarding some of the oldies mentioned in this thread, which I heard in the 70's at Cleethorpes for example, as modern. Bits and Pieces could pass as a 60's record IMO. whistling.gif

I thought modern soul was something you identified by the different sound.... Drizabone and DJ Genesis being examples mentioned of what you what you might hear in a separate modern room.

=============

Personally I'm quite happy hearing them in the northern room, because they fit. Also keeps things fresh IMO

Social source share

SO MANY 70S/80S THAT I LOVE,BUT THE 1 I LIKE AT THE MOMENT IS

MELL & TIM / FOREVER & A DAY / STAX (self titled album)

THOT IT WAS LP ONLY.TILL ALAN PATERSON SHOWD ME HIS 7INCHER( easy now)

ALREADY GOT THE LP FRI.BIT OF LUCK I FOUND A SOUTH AFRICAN 45 ON NET THUR.15POUND BARGAIN I THINK?. wink.gif

Social source share

=============

Personally I'm quite happy hearing them in the northern room, because they fit. Also keeps things fresh IMO

So am I... didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Just trying to point out that they are a different animal to 70s oldies.

Social source share

Right then, I'm off to join goth-source.

Ill see you on the other side.

:wicked:

You'll be discussing tattoos, piercings and black hair dye then Paul. And your user name will have to be something like PaulBelzebub. :P

Thats a thought, what would your goth-source username be ?

Cunnie, you first ....................... thumbsup.gif:lol:

Social source share

:lol:

You'll be discussing tattoos, piercings and black hair dye then Paul. And your user name will have to be something like PaulBelzebub. :D

Thats a thought, what would your goth-source username be ?

Cunnie, you first ....................... thumbsup.gif:P

:D:P PMSL Manno.

Funniest thing i've seen on here for ages :wicked:

Guess my goth-source user name would be Blade For Death

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert