Ishola Muhammad "open Up Your Heart" - 1976

Roburt

This Guess Records 45 has been getting plays for some years now .........

So I thought I'd get in touch with Ishola to ask him what inspired him to make the track.

........ I got this reply ............  

I got the idea of trying to make "Open Up Your Heart" sound like a live recording from Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give It Up" which, incidentally, is one of my all time favorite recordings.

At the time I did the track (my first recording) I was only performing live occasionally, with a couple of jazz acts.

During that period, I had been in and out of the Air Force and had re-enrolled in college.

Ishola also sent me the piece attached below ............ 

post-22122-0-10363100-1365161412_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

So I thought I'd get in touch with Ishola to ask him what inspired him to make the track.

I got the idea of trying to make "Open Up Your Heart" sound like a live recording from Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give It Up" which, incidentally, is one of my all time favorite recordings.

At the time I did the track (my first recording) I was only performing live occasionally, with a couple of jazz acts.

During that period, I had been in and out of the Air Force and had re-enrolled in college.

I wonder if those piles of 45's in the background are 'Open up your Heart'. :ohmy:

Jordi

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Interesting how he used the idea of live performance on this recording and maybe just maybe it could be the reason it never got a general release ?

I had to listen hard as i  thought it was the record crackling?

until a good friend told me the story of how Ishola got his family to be with him in the studio to do the clapping in the background :)

Maybe you could verify that for us Roburt :g:

By the way .. thanks taking the time to contact the man and finding out this info for us all :thumbsup:

Social source share

This 45 just got reissued by Euan Fryer of Jazzman Records on 12".

Fryer presents a super LTD audiophile "Direct Analogue Cut" of Ishola Mohammad - Open Up Your Heart. In a true labour of love and by asking a few favours we managed to do this the way all records should be made. Mat Winegarden Picked up the Original Tape Master in New York from Lenis Guess and sent it over to Scotland where an initial digital backup master was made, after which the original master flew with me to the might Timmion Cutting Lab in Helsinki, Finland. There we spent a day fine tuning a direct from master tape cut right to the Neumann VMS70 lathe without any unnecessary signal-path. We managed a super wide grooved loud cut onto 12 that has to be heard to be appreciated. This is the way 12" were made to sound their best in the late 70s/ early 80s and why they have not been matched since. This release will be super limited and only available in a few select stores.

https://soundcloud.com/djfryer/sets/ishola-mohammad-open-up-your

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He friended me on FB, and I saw his video where he had this "hit" record in England apparantly. I had the same thing when I first tracked down Lou Pride "I had a top 10 hit in England and I never saw a penny from it" were just about the first words he said to me. Why do people say these things to these guys? 

Anyway I wish Ishola the best with his new work and hope lots of people sponsor him.

Social source share

The 'big hit' aspect - I sometimes wonder if artists actually get told that they have a 'hit', or someone just mentions that a song of theirs is getting played in clubs or on radio over here and they just assume it's a countrywide thing, rather than in reality just a very tiny section of people over here that like it.

Not quite the same thing is it?

It's possible that certain unscrupulous people may play on the 'hit' thing in order to obtain copies of the record, but not good on the artist by making them think they are big names over here (or Europe etc) When hardly anyone has actually heard of them.

Social source share

The silence is deafening :glare:

Pretty sure it's all been done in the proper manner.

Seem to recall a previous thread discussing the re-issue being taken from a original master tape from Guess record studio.. Maybe Euan Fryer can confirm?

Social source share

I'm not going to dismiss it out of sight without listening to it though, and I did listen to it, and it's just not very good.  IN MY OPINION .  If everyone else likes it - great.

I think the point of Roburt's post was that he managed to speak with the artist and get some background info on him. All of which I find interesting.

I suspect Ishola will read this so i'd like to say thanks for your music and I and many others of us here in the UK like your songs and appreciate your artistry.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It is mad how because someone finds a record on ebay, markets it well, someone makes a good offer to secure.. Then the price bar is set.. Other copies turn up and it is a instant four figure sum 45?

Crazy but rare :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!