The Truth About Cover Ups

Cover-ups ...

A truly perfect part of our rare soul scene - emitomising the rarity, exclusivity and "yet-to-be-discovered" nature of so many fabulous, truly fabulous rare soul sounds.

But how many cover-ups were already pretty well known to collectors and record diggers when they were first covered?

Apart from a few biggies, how many have really stood the test of time?

Which would we all agree are the all time rare cover-ups?

And who was the king/queen of cover ups? Well, when it comes to naming them - surely it was the cover-up king Guy Hennigan?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Cover-ups, an essential,legendary,mysterious,exciting,frustrating,inspiring part of the "Northern" scene.

The point about some being already known to some people is fair comment-but you will always have had people claiming this and maybe moreso nowadays,when the older sounds could be 50+ years old!

Here`s a dilemma-if someone is playing a track "covered up" and somebody else knows the identity of the track-should that person(DJ or not) make the knowledge public?

Social source share

Here`s a dilemma-if someone is playing a track "covered up" and somebody else knows the identity of the track-should that person(DJ or not) make the knowledge public?

Or will they keep quiet and make some financial gain from it?

Social source share

Then there were the fun ones, Top Cat, Phantom Janitor etc.

When Construction's "Way Out Girl" was known as "Phantom Janitor", I remember wondering not so much who it really was, but what the hell a "Phantom Janitor" was. Someone (could have been Brian Rae?) span a yarn about a janitor who worked at Stax records and would blast in to the studios mid-session to clean etc.

I don't know if there was any truth to this, as around the same time he told an equally compelling story about the origins of the name "Opus 17" for the Four Seasons song, which consisted of a 10 minute monologue about pancakes and drag racing (or was it peanut butter and curtains, can't remember now).

So, does anyone know what a "Phantom Janitor" is ???

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

When Construction's "Way Out Girl" was known as "Phantom Janitor", I remember wondering not so much who it really was, but what the hell a "Phantom Janitor" was. Someone (could have been Brian Rae?) span a yarn about a janitor who worked at Stax records and would blast in to the studios mid-session to clean etc.

I don't know if there was any truth to this, as around the same time he told an equally compelling story about the origins of the name "Opus 17" for the Four Seasons song, which consisted of a 10 minute monologue about pancakes and drag racing (or was it peanut butter and curtains, can't remember now).

Cheers

Mick

Phantom Janitor was infact  Deadbeats - No Second Chance - Strata

Construction was c/u as Del Capris

The story about Stax as far as I know is true

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers

Mick

There are many stories from a phantom preacher to a phantom janitor." from PACIFIC COAST PARANORMAL on Myspace, but whenever I hear the words 'Phantom Janitor' it makes me think of a land developer with a hump back, wearing a mask, trying to scare people from an old amusement park, only to get found out by 'those pesky kids' - Scooby Doo Rocks!

scoobyshaggy.jpeg

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

Wasn`t the Phantom Janitor, that old guy who used to clean the toilets at wigan????

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Wasn't always about rarity sometimes cuz the artists wouldn't be given a second listen if played under real name, think B. J. Thomas - I don't have a mind of my own, at the time it was played. Covered up as David Huff by Ian Clark, sorta more soul sounding name but fictitious...

I thought he chose David Huff because that's the lead singer of David and the Giants - the tune is a bit reminiscent of Ten Miles High.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest martyn

Wasn`t the Phantom Janitor, that old guy who used to clean the toilets at wigan????

Yep, that's how I remember it too....Was a gag in the back room behind the stage between RS, Dave Alcock & Tony Warot & myself when he came in to clear up the empty coke bottles one night...repeated the conversation on here once before but got told I was wrong by folk who weren't there !!!

Social source share

Guest martyn

Maybe we called him that in conjunction with the cover up Dave.

Hi Dave, have a word with Tony W next time you see him...I bet he remembers the conversation too !

Social source share

Guest martyn

I'll do better, I'll speak to Richard in the next few days. :thumbsup:

Have sent Tony a FB message too........He remembers irrelevant crap the same as me as well !  :rofl:  :lol:

Social source share

Cover-ups, an essential,legendary,mysterious,exciting,frustrating,inspiring part of the "Northern" scene.

The point about some being already known to some people is fair comment-but you will always have had people claiming this and maybe moreso nowadays,when the older sounds could be 50+ years old!

well..i had some tasty unknowns courtesy of the 100 for £5 from soul bowl. mid to late 70's i got Chris Cerf and promptly c/u as Shane Martin. lo and behold a mate came round to my house to listen to 45's , i played it an to his amazement said it was Sam's top sound..Len Barry...i took it to Cleethorpes still c/u and Johnathon Woodliffe wanted to buy it..we looked at trades but the deal faded..anyway Sam announced the real artist!!..i had no intention to uncover it..i never understood that..eventually i sold it to Kev Roberts..it got pressed!..

Edited by SHEFFSOUL
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I always think you need to be SUPREMELY confident to cover a tune up.............it's a bit of an embarrasment to be caught out!!(albeit in a non too serious sense, to take Mr Thorley's point about the fun aspect).

Funniest thing that happened to me was at a modern gig............no names, no venue........but a fairly well respected DJ from back the 70's followed me and introduced a tune as one thing, commenced to play it and I turned to him and said "no it isn't, it's blah, blah, blah....."

Should have seen his face..........you've got to be REALLY REALLY confident to cover-up a fairly recent tune..........I mean something 40 years old you have a chance of getting away with, but something which is a fairly recent release is another kettle of cocoa.....

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

well..i had some tasty unknowns courtesy of the 100 for £5 from soul bowl. mid to late 70's i got Chris Cerf and promptly c/u as Shane Martin. lo and behold a mate came round to my house to listen to 45's , i played it an to his amazement said it was Sam's top sound..Len Barry...i took it to Cleethorpes still c/u and Johnathon Woodliffe wanted to buy it..we looked at trades but the deal faded..anyway Sam announced the real artist!!..i had no intention to uncover it..i never understood that..eventually i sold it to Kev Roberts..it got pressed!..

I wonder why that happened ???????????????????????????????????????????

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

What realy annoyed me about the CU was most were actually quite common and easy to find but ripped off the punters who paid good money to go to venues to hear them, i have never coverd up a record as it's nothing more than robbery

Social source share

Wasn't always about rarity sometimes cuz the artists wouldn't be given a second listen if played under real name, think B. J. Thomas - I don't have a mind of my own, at the time it was played. Covered up as David Huff by Ian Clark, sorta more soul sounding name but fictitious.

Sometimes cuz a dealer had a shed load to shift and the mystique of a cover up, helped get them out the door.

Then other times to head off the bootleggers, still a problem 2day.

And then at times just for fun, Guy Hennigan.............

He comes a close second, I still think the king was Richard Searling. A clue would often be in the C/U name, taking something from the real records credits, ie writer or producer to use as the cover up name. Then there were the fun ones, Top Cat, Phantom Janitor etc.

Those that get on their high horse about it, just lighten up, it's fun and all part of the great folklore of the scene. If it helps a record take off, then when it does get un-covered there is more chance of a legal re-issue and maybe some money going to the guys behind it. Records staying in obscurity helps no one, soul fans never get to hear them and artists don't get the chance of some belated limelight or a few $'s if it then gets re-issued.

Long may the fun and mystique continue....................

Yep, Sir Dickie was the man Dave. :yes:

Good point about changing the name to add some credibility to the artist too.

:wink:

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers

Mick

Heard the same story Mick - from a diffferent source though and appertaining to the Deadbeats.

Peter

Social source share

Why thank you, kind sir...have also just updated the pages...now 650+ entries...and please feel free to chip in with any I've missed.

:hatsoff2:

Have you been through the Stafford podcasts David?  There was quite a few you hadn't got on your page?

Social source share

Don't tell me,you've got a wdj tucked away. :D .Didn't know that Richard.

Never seen a WDJ of this mate.

However, I do have the issue ... oh and an original white label test pressing with hand-written credits ... oh and an original juke box strip  :D

I know ... I need to get a life  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Why thank you, kind sir...have also just updated the pages...now 650+ entries...and please feel free to chip in with any I've missed.

Dave, You've got the Dreams down on Topic Its the Topics On (Dream 1) - Have Your Fun

& not wanting to sound overly picky as its a great list but you've put the Bogus Chimes & It Bogis Chimes On (Champ 3403)

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

A sad attempt by the musically untalented trying to earn some kudos from the efforts of the talented.

Social source share

I always think you need to be SUPREMELY confident to cover a tune up.............it's a bit of an embarrasment to be caught out!!(albeit in a non too serious sense, to take Mr Thorley's point about the fun aspect).

Funniest thing that happened to me was at a modern gig............no names, no venue........but a fairly well respected DJ from back the 70's followed me and introduced a tune as one thing, commenced to play it and I turned to him and said "no it isn't, it's blah, blah, blah....."

Should have seen his face..........you've got to be REALLY REALLY confident to cover-up a fairly recent tune..........I mean something 40 years old you have a chance of getting away with, but something which is a fairly recent release is another kettle of cocoa.....

Cheers,

Mark R

Hi Mark

That all makes sense. Thing is these days when you get a potential c/up you do a bit of quiet digging see if any references to it on the internet, popsike, etc. ask a copuple of collectors etc. Only if you're pretty sure it's a true unknown would it be wise to cover it up.

Must admit I've never understood why you'd cover up a proper modern tune, but fully understand why as a DJ you'd "cover up" a 60s-80s rare 7".

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Have you been through the Stafford podcasts David?  There was quite a few you hadn't got on your page?

Not all of them...will check thanks :thumbup:

The last update was pretty large :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave, You've got the Dreams down on Topic Its the Topics On (Dream 1) - Have Your Fun

& not wanting to sound overly picky as its a great list but you've put the Bogus Chimes & It Bogis Chimes On (Champ 3403)

Kirsty

Oops! Thanks! Corrected...let me know if you spot any others...best to be accurate :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Fabulous resource this have used it so many times, a few I can think of top of head that aren't on there (you might want to double check or perhaps someone can confirm)

The Stratoliners on Federal was covered (albeit briefly by Keb maybe?) as The Fabulous Four 'My, My Baby'

I remember finding a card sales sleeve with it written on few years ago and couldn't for life of me remember what it was - made marginally worse by the fact that it was my sales sleeve :D.

Ricky Lewis on Mercury was covered as Eric Mercury - Tonight by Ion

And am sure Guy used to play Jo Ann Garrett on Chess covered as The Passionettes

Social source share

It's the only way to keep your set together for a decent period of time. There are an awful lot of people at allnighters who are just there to find something to add to their own set. Why should a person spend many hours and lots of money trying to find some quality lesser known tunes to play so that others can copy his or her set without doing any work? It's always been part and parcel of the rare soul scene, and it adds to the atmosphere. Long may it continue.

:thumbsup: 100%

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Fabulous resource this have used it so many times, a few I can think of top of head that aren't on there (you might want to double check or perhaps someone can confirm)

The Stratoliners on Federal was covered (albeit briefly by Keb maybe?) as The Fabulous Four 'My, My Baby'

I remember finding a card sales sleeve with it written on few years ago and couldn't for life of me remember what it was - made marginally worse by the fact that it was my sales sleeve :D.

Ricky Lewis on Mercury was covered as Eric Mercury - Tonight by Ion

And am sure Guy used to play Jo Ann Garrett on Chess covered as The Passionettes

I have Stratoliners down as a Pat Brady play first?

Jo Ann Garrett was c/u as The Passionettes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I have Stratoliners down as a Pat Brady play first?

Jo Ann Garrett was c/u as The Passionettes.

you're probably right Chalky, am pretty sure Keb had it (think I got mine from the same source in London as he had multiple copies of the WD) but not sure I remember him playing it.

Thought so on the Jo Ann Garrett, bought it at my first Stafford for £10 :D

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Tony Galla is down as "Carl"? Winfield Parker is what I remember it as.

Yeah was Winfield Parker mate

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!