Gene Latter-Sign On The ....................... Orig?

Hi peeps and peepesses.
I know it's a cheesy one, but it sounded good after years of not hearing it.
I have just purchased a copy of 'Gene Latter-Sign on the dotted line' on a 'Spark' Demo from 1969.

I have been informed that it is a re-press, and I was wondering what label the original release was on?

Was it the same label with a different design, or another label completely?
I have seen the silver 'Spark' release, is that the orig'?

Scans of the orig' would be nice if anyone has anything so cheesy in their box  :)

This is the one I got.
post-9727-0-62783300-1389152951_thumb.jp

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Silver first

post-1918-0-85999600-1389161534_thumb.jp

Blue second

post-1918-0-47501200-1389161606_thumb.jp

Yellow and blue with "Northern Soul" tag third. Yours is the demo for the this one

post-1918-0-15817600-1389161631_thumb.jp

I believe one of Manships books states the the blue issue predates the silver but from my experience it's the consensus of UK collectors that silver came first. All three issues came with push out and solid centres. Regardless of which was first i think the plain blue is nicest looking. So there :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Silver first

I believe one of Manships books states the the blue issue predates the silver but from my experience it's the consensus of UK collectors that silver came first. All three issues came with push out and solid centres. Regardless of which was first i think the plain blue is nicest looking. So there :)

Spot on - silver is first.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember Graham Bonney singing his version of this on "Lift Off With Ayshea" in about 1970.   

Paul

He was the co-presenter with Ayshea on one series.

Looks like they don't have any of the tapes of this show, would love to see Starman (Bowie) again, saw it at the time, 1972.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Apparently not though everyone thought they were, he produced a 45 for her didn't he, and they were always on the show.  She was in UFO, anyone remember that?

Yes she was Pete a very good show , although born in London she was engaged to roy wood and ended up marrying the bloke who owned / ran C.B.S she ended up looking after her mum in Grantham and to my knowledge still lives there.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Back to Gene Latter yes a fantastic record and one of the first one's that I bought from " Irene's second hand shop " in Nuneaton in my pre pubic collecting day's I still have that very same copy and is a silver one . I think it was one of those 5 pence jobs she used to get with deleted Tamla  records.

Social source share

Back to Gene Latter yes a fantastic record and one of the first one's that I bought from " Irene's second hand shop " in Nuneaton in my pre pubic collecting day's I still have that very same copy and is a silver one . I think it was one of those 5 pence jobs she used to get with deleted Tamla  records.

AS U SAY SIMON,,BACK TO GENE HOW MANY GREAT NORTHERN TUNES HAS GENE DONE?

PS REMEMBER THAT SHOP VERY WELL , GERMAN GUY USED TO RUN IT

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

AS U SAY SIMON,,BACK TO GENE HOW MANY GREAT NORTHERN TUNES HAS GENE DONE?

PS REMEMBER THAT SHOP VERY WELL , GERMAN GUY USED TO RUN IT

Evening Mark hope your ok Sir , I often wonder what type of unissued tracks that may be on acetates or on tape by artists like these that are so good but we'll never hear them see you soon boy .Simon.

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

He's just saying he's the best thing since sliced bread so give him a contract.  I think.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks Pete.

Social source share

Got loads of Gene Latters 45s...Ways on CBS is his best though.I also collect the UK Spark label up until 71... Got a few missing though.It is a bizarre label with comedy releases from.Sydney Elliot and Willie Rushton.Crazy Hammond releases by The Heavyweights,Pop glam by the Eggy...female singers.They had no definate style.Think I'm only missing a few of the blue and silvers.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Got loads of Gene Latters 45s...Ways on CBS is his best though.I also collect the UK Spark label up until 71... Got a few missing though.It is a bizarre label with comedy releases from.Sydney Elliot and Willie Rushton.Crazy Hammond releases by The Heavyweights,Pop glam by the Eggy...female singers.They had no definate style.Think I'm only missing a few of the blue and silvers.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...I have a few in my POP box I will take a look for you, it's a interesting label to collect I don't recall seeing a full release listing and it's full of eclectic music, most people associate the label with the pop soul hits put out on SPARK NORTHERN SOUL Wigan's Ovation, being the worse example of mid 7ts intrusion by money grabbing opportunists on our scene GOD bless them, the stain of these releases will remain in the publics mind for ever, like "baggy trousers",

Gene Latters "sign on the dotted line" was a very powerful song with a good dance beat that well suited the scene in 72 with 100mph play it loud dance ability, you can see how tunes like this one made it on the scene as follow up to "Out on the floor", I was lucky enough to have the silver copy (first) at the time, and it might be odd to say in 2014, but I was proud to have it as a pride of place 45 in my record box in 71,

I'm sure it come out on both silver label designed SPARK,.

Maybe back in 71/72 the intake of certain chemicals made the record, but in 2014 it still sounds good to me as a perfect example of the roots of NORTHERN SOUL. I think for those younger people who joined the scene well after the early 7ts, they should take time out and study the roots of the NORTHERN SOUL scene especially take a look at some of the 100mph 45s that were big in 71/72 and why people spent Saturday nights dancing in the middle of nowhere in Bedfordshire?? Trust me they were great days. :thumbsup: DAVE K. 

Social source share

His best is 'Holding Onto A Dream' on Spark - perhaps not for trad  soul clubs but a brilliant mod pop record.

proper juicy mod tune going for quite a bit now

Social source share

Silver first

Blue second

Yellow and blue with "Northern Soul" tag third. Yours is the demo for the this one

Still got my blue & silver copies, shoot..........think I've had them since the early/mid 70s  :huh:

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!