Itv Motown Sunday 9Pm

Guest in town Mikey

Thought they might of mentioned  PAM SAWYER.....as theres a british connection

I wondered if I missed her name. They did mention the British connection with the release of Tears Of A Clown.

Social source share

ITV this Sunday 6th July 2100-2230

The Nations Favourite Motown Song

"A celebration of Motown revealing the stories behind 20 of the legendary label's greatest hits, followed by the results of our poll to discover Britain's favourite Motown song."

I know there was a previous thread when this first came to light, but I can't find it.

So, as it's on this weekend, I thought I'd give it a shout.

:wink: Thought it was gonna be the stories behind the top 20 voted - which would probably be a whole different kettle of fish. Should still be good viewing I reckon.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Any chance someone can whack this on you-Tube or somewhere please? I can't watch it in Malta :(

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Drewtg
Social source share

Thought they might of mentioned  PAM SAWYER.....as theres a british connection

Tezza thought they said she was the one who picked it off the album saying, "It's a hit" and Cathy McGowan said, "I'll give it 5" (That bit's not true, obviously), pity there was only a passing mention of The Funk Brothers, saying they were Jazz Musicians and no mention of any white artists but we could argue all year about it and should it have been Top 50 and she/he should have been in, for what it was it was good I thought and I bet even you was tapping your feet and saying, "I remember when........." :thumbsup:  :shhh: 

Spot. :shades: 

Social source share

Was this what was supposed to be the run down or a prediction, if it's the latter it's a bit Morecambe and Wise, all the right tunes but not necessarily in the right order, not a lot unlike my world cup predictions

I'd refer you to post no. 11 above

Social source share

Tezza thought they said she was the one who picked it off the album saying, "It's a hit" and Cathy McGowan said, "I'll give it 5" (That bit's not true, obviously), pity there was only a passing mention of The Funk Brothers, saying they were Jazz Musicians and no mention of any white artists but we could argue all year about it and should it have been Top 50 and she/he should have been in, for what it was it was good I thought and I bet even you was tapping your feet and saying, "I remember when........." :thumbsup:  :shhh: 

Sharon Davis was the TM employee referred to re TOAC being lifted from the album. She was previously a fan club secretary (Four Tops) aka Jackie Lee in those days.

Got a job at EMI/TM

Social source share

Dunno what people expect. They are essentially pop records with the soul/R&B market never given a second thought when released, they weren't aimed at that market, neither was this show.  We could sit here and debate all day long and then some about what why and how and come up with a dozen different results as Soul Source's own poll and debate highlighted.   Just be thankful something like this is getting some attention at peak viewing time.

PS I haven't watched it yet, no TV signal in Mid Wales and the only running water was the nearby river  :wicked:

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yep come to mention ....you,re right,but it was very fleeting.........of course l tapped my foot.....thinking back to the old   rock street youth club.....just would of loved to of heard velvelettes,elgins....some of my fav motown!!  atb mate see ya soon :thumbsup::D

p.s.....l also thought at one point l heard  FW in the background?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Absolutely brilliant. Not surprised by number one, I remember as a ten year-old watching Pan's People dance to it in some sort of graveyard and they still couldn't kill the song! Number two, Jimmy always refered to as his pension plan so had to be up there somewhere.

What fantastic clips and sassy wardrobes. The anecdotes have obviously been polished over the years but who gives a ........

When the lie becomes the legend; print the legend.

Now, can we have one for Chess records?

Social source share

"The anecdotes have obviously been polished over the years but who gives a ........

When the lie becomes the legend; print the legend."

That's very true.........they get trotted out time and time again.

The line about Bob Dylan is total b*llocks....it was made up by Motown publicist Al Abrahams........I doubt if Bob Dylan even knew who Smokey Robinson was.

The "Dancing in the street"....written by Mickey Stevenson for his wife Kim Weston.....overheard and stolen by Marvin Gaye, given to Martha etc. Really it's Ivy Hunter's song in the main. I've seen Martha in interview saying "Ivy Hunter wrote that song"....I've got an autograph of Ivy Hunter prefaced with "Keep dancing in the street"....as he alluded to, his song for a lifetime. (great to see him interviewed BTW...usually overlooked)

The HDH stories....all rehashed, but good to see all this on prime time TV. Hope it encourages a new generation to get involved with Motown and Soul music.

Edited by Guest
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Yep come to mention ....you,re right,but it was very fleeting.........of course l tapped my foot.....thinking back to the old   rock street youth club.....just would of loved to of heard velvelettes,elgins....some of my fav motown!!  atb mate see ya soon :thumbsup::D

p.s.....l also thought at one point l heard  FW in the background?

Yes you did Tezza, thankfully they never went into the saga of the record. Take care & yes, see ya soon. :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

Enjoyed it, yes it was predictable.

Put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye when it showed the Epitaphs of David Ruffin.Marvin Gaye Livi Stubbs,Ect made me wonder if any of them who passed at such young ages, would have carried on making great music..

I did think Isley's should have had a track on there.

Richo.

Social source share

I enjoyed it for what it was - it could have been a lot worse considering it was a mainstream prime time programme

Some great Motown related guests but some of the non Motown related talking heads had no right to be there imho but that apart it was pretty entertaining

Marvin at number one is more than fine by me  :thumbsup:

Loved Duke Fakir's badge too  :wink:

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I enjoyed it for what it was - it could have been a lot worse considering it was a mainstream prime time programme

Some great Motown related guests but some of the non Motown related talking heads had no right to be there imho but that apart it was pretty entertaining

Marvin at number one is more than fine by me  :thumbsup:

Loved Duke Fakir's badge too  :wink:

Cheers

Steve

Me too, got one.. :thumbup:

Quick thought though, If Reach Out I'll be There was an only 2 (or 3) known copy tune... How Much ??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!