Simon Soussan Found

Soussan obviously had an uncanny ability to win a person's confidence ... even that of Soul Train's Don Cornelius who deemed Soussan important enough to interview him on stage following Arpeggio's performance on Soul Train on 17 March 1979.

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

….and some got booted before they'd even taken off Nat T Jones Movin Forward springs to mind here. 

I always cite stuff like Lou Courtney, Didi Noel and Richie Adams as records that I hadn't even heard played when they were bootlegged. "Serenade" by The Sounds Of Lane???? What the hell was that....?

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Thanks to Mr. Soussan, so many of the scene's best and most iconic records got booted so quickly that they were sometimes only played for a few weeks and then dropped.  I can't think that was a good thing.  We burned up a lot of great stuff so quickly.

Could it not equally be said that those same iconic records have been hammered to oblivion this last couple of decades, which kind of blows your argument out of the water? But then that is probably a debate for another thread.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could it not equally be said that those same iconic records have been hammered to oblivion this last couple of decades, which kind of blows your argument out of the water? But then that is probably a debate for another thread.

Can't deny that either, but the turnover of big records in the heyday of the scene was insane and many of them dived horribly in value after the pressing came out.  We could have, or perhaps should have, enjoyed those great records for much longer at the time when it really mattered.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Can't deny that either, but the turnover of big records in the heyday of the scene was insane and many of them dived horribly in value after the pressing came out.  We could have, or perhaps should have, enjoyed those great records for much longer at the time when it really mattered.

True. A few mistakes from the man.......counter balanced by the discovery of Double Cookin, I'll Always Need You, You Didn't Say A Word, I'm Not Strong Enough, You Don't Love Me, Dance Dance Dance, Love Runs Out......... Fair trade off?

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

True. A few mistakes from the man.......counter balanced by the discovery of Double Cookin, I'll Always Need You, You Didn't Say A Word, I'm Not Strong Enough, You Don't Love Me, Dance Dance Dance, Love Runs Out......... Fair trade off?

Admit those are stellar finds that most of us could only dream of, but surely those records would have been discovered sooner or later anyway, Kev?

Edited by Dayo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

When Simon's collection came up for sale years ago, according to Tim Ashibende there was "everything" on the list, not talking boots here, we are talking his own collection.

This reflects the man's taste of soul music, as for the darker side that so many wish to dwell on, here is a few facts to take in.

1 Doni Burdick only got paid once for bari track- via Simon, not a penny from sound impressions.

2 Sidney Barnes got a credit and royalties for Love & desire, yet zilch from stronger than her love.

I am sure there is more to follow, but one thing for sure, is one hell of a night if you took him out to dinner and heard some of his tales from the 70's.

It's 2015, and Ian has tracked him down, well done & I for one will be very interested in what Simon is up to, i really hope he is well & happy.

Lot's of water has passed under the bridge since the 70's.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

And here's the Alton McClain & Destiny record we think he wants the MP3 of.......

Alton McClain & Destiny "Ninety Nine & A Half Won't Do"

Ian D  :D

99 1/2 by Carol Lynn Townes was another version of the record 
Social source share

When Simon's collection came up for sale years ago, according to Tim Ashibende there was "everything" on the list, not talking boots here, we are talking his own collection.

This reflects the man's taste of soul music, as for the darker side that so many wish to dwell on, here is a few facts to take in.

1 Doni Burdick only got paid once for bari track- via Simon, not a penny from sound impressions.

2 Sidney Barnes got a credit and royalties for Love & desire, yet zilch from stronger than her love.

I am sure there is more to follow, but one thing for sure, is one hell of a night if you took him out to dinner and heard some of his tales from the 70's.

It's 2015, and Ian has tracked him down, well done & I for one will be very interested in what Simon is up to, i really hope he is well & happy.

Lot's of water has passed under the bridge since the 70's.

Doni Burdick was a backing track from a 1965 recording so he had ball all to do with it and didn't deserve a cent. Love And Desire's Billy Page, nothing to do with Sidney if you're talking Patrice Holloway. Writers and artists don't get paid for the original releases unless they sell in reasonable quantities
Social source share

Appreggio love and desire, based on the flirtations Ady, as for Doni you may be correct, but it's his name on the record ! Fully appreciate it was a Detroit backing track in 65 that rose batiste added the vocal to become I miss my baby.

My point is that Simon didn't always do things dodgy !

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Its fascinating for me to see how someone who was so infamous and in operation long before I got into the music can still,even after all these years, be so divisive for so many. I guess, for me, i'd personally love to hear all these tales from the man himself but then,if all the stories are true from people who actually knew him way back ,could you actually believe him anyway ? :) 

I understand that if he stitched people up badly years ago then some will always hold a grudge ,but, personally speaking,I don't find it healthy to carry baggage like that around. Its so long ago now isn't it.  I'd love to know how he got into the music and went on this mission to unearth the great records he "discovered"[even if,ultimately, the motive seemed to be greed]…..Its still fascinating stuff for me and Im know many others too.

You never know, people do sometimes change for the better in life and maybe he would be willing to tell the story of how it all happened for him once and for all,just to set the record straight :thumbsup:

All the best,

Ivor 

Social source share

I've read that Los Bravos had a big impact on Simon.

He even had Patti Brooks record it (along with "Popcorn" and "Na Na Hey Kiss Him Goodbye") as part of 

the "Pop Collage Medley" on her first album.

He would have heard the Los Bravos record in France for sure. That's what hooked him on 4-4 beat big productions. It was a good record for me too as an 11 year old in blighty in 1966. It was all Motown after that....... :)

Ian D :) 

Social source share

Doni Burdick was a backing track from a 1965 recording so he had ball all to do with it and didn't deserve a cent. Love And Desire's Billy Page, nothing to do with Sidney if you're talking Patrice Holloway. Writers and artists don't get paid for the original releases unless they sell in reasonable quantities

Ady he is singing on the other side of the record though.

Social source share

Ian Levine was so far ahead of the rest when discovering new records in the 70's - and I don't mean new releases - that it took until the rest of the decade for almost everyone else to catch up.

True enough, and it has taken Ian the last two decades trying to catch up with what's been discovered / played since he walked out in 76. There is an irony somewhere there.

But must confess the Soussan letter was quite entertaining, the personal attacks were quite vicious, and Russ the hero etc. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

True enough, and it has taken Ian the last two decades trying to catch up with what's been discovered / played since he walked out in 76. There is an irony somewhere there.

But must confess the Soussan letter was quite entertaining, the personal attacks were quite vicious, and Russ the hero etc. 

Not denying that Steve but I've been reading the old Black Music magazines where Ian reviewed his new discoveries and I've been literally gobsmacked at some of the titles he was tipping in 74/75, which didn't go big for 20 years.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

….and some got booted before they'd even taken off Nat T Jones Movin Forward springs to mind here. 

And almost unplayable quality !

Social source share

Born again Christian and an Orthodox Jew?

Bootleg 

The lead singer of Los Canarios Teddy Bautista became the president of the Spanish SGAE (General Society of Authors & Editors) a few years back. This is the outfit responsible for enforcing intellectual propery rights, collection of royalties etc, He was forced to resign amid allegations of massive corruption. On his bloody knees now...  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!