Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

They were introduced from America and are in 85% of our rivers now - there are millions of them. They have all but wiped out our native crayfish. You can catch them very easily using a similar trap to a lobster pot baited with fish. You just need a licence from the Environment Agency. They are good eating - and free.

Peter

US imports then, but I'll pass on the eating part free or otherwise.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fathers day............my lads organised a day at Turf moor with a meal and a photo with OUR championship trophy.

champions!.jpg

A real surprise and a great day!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Good evening everyone. Just returned from my annual trip to the gorgeous county of Pembrokeshire. Wales. Will get some pictures posted when I get chance to download them from my camera and if I think they're up to it. Hopefully one or two will pass the quality control department ( me ) :)

Will also chance to have a proper look at all the great picture that you lot have posted whilst I have been sunning myself

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

IB2A4888 (2).JPG

Wow! That's a super photograph Steve - well done.

I took a last minute two day break from my reclusive existence to join my brother and his wife who were having a week in north Wales - they were staying in Prenteg, near Porthmadog - Aberdunant Caravan Park is very nice. There's a successful Osprey breeding site about two miles away so I was sure to visit there - otters too. I didn't get any pictures but I did get to view the nest through the telescopes. Not much to compare with all of your great photographs but it was a privilege to be there. I was told that there are five adult birds there - one mating couple, the male who originates from Africa but was reared in a covered cage at Rutland Water (part of a wider programme) before being released. Very interesting. 

Here's a link.

http://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow! That's a super photograph Steve - well done.

I took a last minute two day break from my reclusive existence to join my brother and his wife who were having a week in north Wales - they were staying in Prenteg, near Porthmadog - Aberdunant Caravan Park is very nice. There's a successful Osprey breeding site about two miles away so I was sure to visit there - otters too. I didn't get any pictures but I did get to view the nest through the telescopes. Not much to compare with all of your great photographs but it was a privilege to be there. I was told that there are five adult birds there - one mating couple, the male who originates from Africa but was reared in a covered cage at Rutland Water (part of a wider programme) before being released. Very interesting. 

Here's a link.

http://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/

Peter. As ever thank you for your kind word's. I left Tenby on Saturday morning, visited Newquay to see the Dolphins then believe it or not went to Porthmadog until yesterday, Lou and myself stayed in a friend of Lou,s caravan about 1/2 mile outside the town on the black rock sands road. Would have been great to see you.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 18/06/2016 at 20:21, Rick Cooper said:

Saw this crawling across the paving in the back garden this morning. Startled the dog and gave me a surprise as I'd never seen anything like it before, except on TV.

Apparently it's a signal crayfish but what's it doing in a garden in Stockport, shouldn't it be somewhere hot and wet. It was relocated to the edge of pond where I hope it stays put.

DSCF8871.JPG

DSCF8874.JPG

Rick

Rick. Remove the thing from your pond as it will if given the opportunity eat almost everything else that's in their. Just stand on it or as already mentioned eat it. Put it in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes until it turns red like a lobster or crab,then it's ready to eat. 

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Phew, it's a tough life here in Molyvos, but someone's got to live it...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

We stayed in molyvos 28 years ago, completely untouched by tourism back then and what a fantastic island Lesbos was. It was one of the hotest Julys on record topping out at something like 47 degrees, never felt humidity like it.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

We stayed in molyvos 28 years ago, completely untouched by tourism back then and what a fantastic island Lesbos was. It was one of the hotest Julys on record topping out at something like 47 degrees, never felt humidity like it.

Still largely unspoilt, Steve. And it's exactly the "old world charm" that's brought us back to the island for what I think is now the 7th time. Sadly, as a result if the refugee crisis, tourism is very badly hit this year - just at the time when the wonderful local people need every penny they can get.

1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Bravo Steve, your pictures made me hungry !

I assume the last one is a chocolate dessert ?

Chocolate ice cream crepe...

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Here's another first for me. A skomer vole. Unfortunately for me it was dead and in the talons of this short eared owl.

The vole is a sub species of the bank vole found in the UK but it has been separated from its mainland cousins for that long that its evolving in its own way as a species

Steve

IB2A4935 (2).JPG

IB2A4939.JPG

IB2A4941 (2).JPG

You've done well with your holiday photographs again Steve. A pleasure to look through them.

What does Lou do whilst your waiting for your next big picture?!

:D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

You've done well with your holiday photographs again Steve. A pleasure to look through them.

What does Lou do whilst your waiting for your next big picture?!

:D

:hatsoff2: Good evening and thank you my friend for once again the lovely comments. On the Skomer island visits she joins me. She absolutely loves the puffins and you can get literally two feet away from some of them. Plus it's normally a nice twenty minute boat journey and its a very healthy , brisk walk. The Badger pictures are taken normally when I'm mooching about n Lou is in the cottage. 

What I've not mentioned is when we got to Newquay. We parked up and walked down to the harbour where two bottle nosed dolphins where happily feeding away inside the harbour walls no further away than 50 metres, couldn't believe it. Where was the camera. ? Still in the car. Walked/ run back to the car but on my return the dolphins had followed the fish and retreating tide out into the bay. We saw in total about 12 different dolphins. It was a very special sight. Lou was jumping up and down with excitement screaming and shouting like a little girl. She had never seen them before. Will check to see if I managed any pictures. 

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

:hatsoff2: Good evening and thank you my friend for once again the lovely comments. On the Skomer island visits she joins me. She absolutely loves the puffins and you can get literally two feet away from some of them. Plus it's normally a nice twenty minute boat journey and its a very healthy , brisk walk. The Badger pictures are taken normally when I'm mooching about n Lou is in the cottage. 

What I've not mentioned is when we got to Newquay. We parked up and walked down to the harbour where two bottle nosed dolphins where happily feeding away inside the harbour walls no further away than 50 metres, couldn't believe it. Where was the camera. ? Still in the car. Walked/ run back to the car but on my return the dolphins had followed the fish and retreating tide out into the bay. We saw in total about 12 different dolphins. It was a very special sight. Lou was jumping up and down with excitement screaming and shouting like a little girl. She had never seen them before. Will check to see if I managed any pictures. 

Steve

Ah. That's lovely Steve.

Just fed the hedgehogs. 

Bless you both.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Had a brief storm yesterday evening - great to see and even better, it brought some cool air with it. Been a bit hot out here that even the locals have been wilting!

image.jpeg

Lovely Russell

Making me yearn for the Greek Islands - I haven;t been for years, Crete was the last one.

Might have to come out of my reclusive lifestyle and take a trip.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Lovely Russell

Making me yearn for the Greek Islands - I haven;t been for years, Crete was the last one.

Might have to come out of my reclusive lifestyle and take a trip.

Peter

Having a great time out here, Peter, as we always do.

Just wanted to say that some fantastic pics have been posted here by people of recent. Please do excuse me for not doing much in the way of "liking" but am only online for a very short period of time each day - such is the nature of holidays - but do know that I've seen and very much admired them!

• Helpful 2
Social source share