Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

2 hours ago, suzannek said:

I am loving the Upper Teesdale botany group meetings, last night I saw loads of beauties like this  Mountain Pansy at Bowlees, Teesdale 20160530_204555.jpg

Nice one Suz, I've only ever seen the yellow one, it seems your area is full of surprises. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 28 May 2016 at 10:13, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. Nice pictures mate. Martyn Pitt ( the elder ) will identify the dragonflies for you mate. He,s been around as long as they have

Steve

It looks like a female Brown Hawker ... the golden colouring on the wings is a good reference for identification.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Nice one Suz, I've only ever seen the yellow one, it seems your area is full of surprises. 

We have lots of varieties in Teesdale, including purple and yellow, yellow, yellow and white and white and purple. Great seeing these beauties up close along with all the other wonderful flowers, I love Monday evenings 

Suz x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

It looks like a female Brown Hawker ... the golden colouring on the wings is a good reference for identification.

Hi Martyn

When I saw it I thought it looked like a butterfly - maybe one of those wonders of nature where it has evolved to mimic a particular creature.

Peter

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Martyn

When I saw it I thought it looked like a butterfly - maybe one of those wonders of nature where it has evolved to mimic a particular creature.

Peter

The Dragonflies ancestors in pre-historic times had a wing span of 1 metre .... I would have loved to see one of those :huh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

It's hard to be certain but I think three of the chicks may well have fledged. I have been checking in regularly and can only see the one chick - they look a little lonely!

Peter

lonely.JPG

There were two there last night, the father was encouraging the last two to take flight, but the smallest and youngest wasn't ready, obviously the other who was darting along the parapet flapping madly has taken to the skies. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Not broken just very quiet and peaceful at the moment ... :thumbsup:

Still plenty to see in the Hydrogen-alpha wavelength , but to see that just means a jump from a £20.00 filter to a minimum outlay of £800.00 ... :ohmy:

Thats a relief, lovey photo's by the way.

Just now, middleman said:

Thats a relief, lovey photo's by the way.

Sorry, lovely not lovey (unless you work in the theatre)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm looking for a decent camera for myself, I see the most beautiful flora and fauna on a daily basis while Clyde and I go for our walks, and I only have "happy snappy" camera and a phone camera........................

Any recommendations? Maybe someone on here has one to sell?

I AM AN ABSOLUTE BEGINNER, but willing to learn, please don't blind me with science!! 

BTW this is Clyde

xx

20150712_221204.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, crazylegs said:

I'm looking for a decent camera for myself, I see the most beautiful flora and fauna on a daily basis while Clyde and I go for our walks, and I only have "happy snappy" camera and a phone camera........................

I AM AN ABSOLUTE BEGINNER, but willing to learn, please don't blind me with science!! 

BTW this is Clyde

xx

20150712_221204.jpg

Clyde is a smasher!

Steve or Martyn or Dave will have good advice on a camera.

I'm struggling to work out how to use my new washing machine - it's like an aeroplane flight deck.

:dash2:

Social source share

Haha, Now a washing machine I can do!

Thanks Peter, I sure Ill come up trumps on here, there is such an amazing cross section of people, and some REALLY amazing photographers, I don't think Ill ever get to the heights of expertise shown on here, but I'm willing to give it a go and share what I find along the way,............ 

x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Haha, Now a washing machine I can do!

Thanks Peter, I sure Ill come up trumps on here, there is such an amazing cross section of people, and some REALLY amazing photographers, I don't think Ill ever get to the heights of expertise shown on here, but I'm willing to give it a go and share what I find along the way,............ 

x

I was taking photos with a very old Sony cyber-shot until earlier this year when it finally succumbed to the way I was badly treating it, I'd had it for 12 years, and was used to how the menu works, so I look around for a more up to date Sony one second hand on eBay, I bought 2, one for £30, and one for £10.01, one had a charger and cable for connecting to a USB, both were minus memory cards, however they are both excellent at taking macro shots, or at least good enough for me with 12.1 mega pixels.  You can easily pay £1000 for a very good camera, but you can get a good camera for £499, and if you want one to go through hell and back as I do when climbing in the mountains buy a cheap second hand.  There are also Facebook groups that sell stuff in Spain, and it's often a good source of cameras, though you have to be quick.

ps I think Clyde is a smasher too

Edited by TattooDave
Social source share

2 minutes ago, crazylegs said:

Thanks Dave, Ill keep a look out

We rescued Clyde almost 11 months ago, and he is my main man!..................don't tell Steve I said that, he thinks he is!!

x

I am constantly amazed by the dogs that can be found in rescue kennels, my Happy was going to be drowned as he was unwanted, he's one of the sweetest natured dogs I've ever known.  There's always lots of decent cameras on eBay cheap, just find a model you like and watch to see how much on average they make, it's quite easy to get a bargain after a couple of weeks of watching.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 6 June 2016 at 14:32, crazylegs said:

Basically what Dave said, I always found the Canon Ixus range produce pretty good results, and it does not need to be the latest model either, it all depends how much you want to spend.

One piece of free advice ... always try and get the sun behind you when taking a photo,with the light coming over your shoulder, the image will be miles better than if it is backlit.

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 1/1/2016 at 19:51, Zed1 said:

Not the usual Wildlife pic's, but.....

From a classic show I went to a while back. Some retro Fast Fords.

And, the best name for an internal combustion engine....... ever!.

The Coventry Climax engine has some great history, it started off as a pump engine for the Fire Service and got adopted for Formula 1 racing also got put into Lotus road cars.

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Saw this crawling across the paving in the back garden this morning. Startled the dog and gave me a surprise as I'd never seen anything like it before, except on TV.

Apparently it's a signal crayfish but what's it doing in a garden in Stockport, shouldn't it be somewhere hot and wet. It was relocated to the edge of pond where I hope it stays put.

DSCF8871.JPG

DSCF8874.JPG

Rick

DSCF8871.JPG

They were introduced from America and are in 85% of our rivers now - there are millions of them. They have all but wiped out our native crayfish. You can catch them very easily using a similar trap to a lobster pot baited with fish. You just need a licence from the Environment Agency. They are good eating - and free.

• Helpful 1
Social source share