Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

7 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Lots of these wee chaps out at the moment, which is great considering all the talk about their decline.

20160718_115514[1].jpg

20160718_115509[1].jpg

Steve. I,m assuming its a white tailed bumble bee but not my strong point insects. Lovely photographs, actually looks like the bee is asleep

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve. I,m assuming its a white tailed bumble bee but not my strong point insects. Lovely photographs, actually looks like the bee is asleep

Steve

Don`t know much myself but this one`s a wild bumble-bee, very placid......not sure how to tell it`s sex or I would have got a little nearer, males don`t sting!

Our next door neighbour has a bee hive (Hive bees are small and have very little colour) and the other week while I was washing my car they all came out and swarmed together, like a giant cloud of noise, fascinating until a few of them decided I was trespassing and had to chase me off.....all anyone could see was a half naked nutter running and jumping whirling my shirt around like I was playing helicopters. I got stung on the eye-lid. :pirate:

All from our garden.........This one I took today, different kind of Bee.....looks more wasp-like.

20160721_144212[1].jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

12 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Just found this little bu**ger eating away at my orange tree this afternoon!!

He has now been relocated to the garden wall..................... with a few leaves to chomp away on!

Eastern Black Swallowtail????

x

P1010002.JPG

Yes, that's what it is, quite a variable species as a caterpillar and a butterfly, and not that common.  It's one I would have tried my best to help along by leaving him where he was feeding and hope he would pupate where I could watch.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Dave

I did want to leave it but the orange tree is still a baby, so he is now lodging on an older tree and I am monitoring progress :thumbup:

Can anyone help out with this mushroom/toadstool/funghi/dunnowhatthehell

Its growing under an hibiscus, its quite frail, but its not getting much sun under such a large bushy plant

Cant find info it and I'm quite concerned cause of Clyde (doggy)

Im sure someone on here can help out

x

20160722_103054.jpg

Edited by crazylegs
Social source share

3 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Hey Dave

I did want to leave it but the orange tree is still a baby, so he is now lodging on an older tree and I am monitoring progress :thumbup:

Can anyone help out with this mushroom/toadstool/funghi/dunnowhatthehell

Its growing under an hibiscus, its quite frail, but its not getting much sun under such a large bushy plant

Cant find info it and I'm quite concerned cause of Clyde (doggy)

Im sure someone on here can help out

x

20160722_103054.jpg

Well done, he should be OK in an older tree.  As for the fungi, I doubt whether Clyde would be interested in it, just pull it up, it's growing on the rotting vegetation from the hibiscus soil, and they thrive in the shade.  Identifying them is a minefield and I don't have a book that covers anywhere but the UK 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Something a little more suitable to the forum from me for a change ... :thumbsup:

Can never quite seem to make just a straightforward box me ... :D

IMG_6693.JPG

IMG_6694.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG

Had one made for me a few years ago by Mark Clugston very similar in size. proper dovetail joints on the corners. With a little plaque inside with a nice inscription

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not long got in from fishing a match at Tarvin sands fishery near Chester. No pictures but had the pleasure of  helping weighing my mate John Hammonds catch. He has set a new fishery record beating the old one by 120LB . It now stands at a massive 281LB for a five hour match. .Jealous or what. I had a measly 25LB

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 8/4/2016 at 15:02, WoodButcher said:

Well after twenty-odd years of being abused I thought it about time that my trusty chisels deserved a couple of decent cases , it'll be nice to have them all in one place for once ... :thumbsup:

And as I had some very nice 100+ year old quarter-sawn oak waiting for the right moment and bundles of veneers kicking about I couldn't help but get a little carried away again , they'll no doubt get trashed on site soon enough but sometimes you just have to go the extra yard ... :lol:

B.jpg

A.jpg

And just in case you think I cheated ...

8.jpg

I use mine for knocking tiles of walls these days:thumbup:Been a carpenter all my life and hate it with a passion.(too much housebashing)

Kitchen fitter now known as the Caister flatpacker:D

Edited by NCFC
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Right....time for something a little less organic.

My December 1976 Kawasaki Z1000 which has been my little project for the last couple of years.....

83216863-ab32-4d45-8a4b-a433fdefdc14_zps

6b62e399-e274-470c-9c24-754885358451_zps

So that's where you have been hiding !!!!   Nice bike Gaz, looks brand new :thumbsup:

Social source share

12 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Here you go, my SX 200 from 1970

SX200 001.jpg

Rick

Thanks Rick. Only ever had Li 150,s. And I haven't any pictures unfortunately. I know there is some of me from my scooter days but don't see the lads or girls that I knocked about with  very often . Only seems to be at funerals these day.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share