Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

Ill be drinking more Pimms in future  :thumbsup:  ........................THANK YOU!

X

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

It's Borage, Borago officinalis, the leaves are edible, and the flowers are often used in Pimms.

Edited by crazylegs
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Ill be drinking more Pimms in future  :thumbsup:  ........................THANK YOU!

X

It's a strange plant in that the flowers change from blue to pink as they age, so pick only the blue ones, wash them thoroughly of course, they look cook frozen in ice cubes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Chris. This link is not available in the UK according to the web page. Its run commercially by wait for it. BBC worldwide.

Steve

Steve, it's mostly industrial/technonlogic (?) pictures. Personnally I prefer "nature" pictures though I like this one :

p03tqp2m.jpg

Don’t fall

Driving around the outskirts of Sofia, Bulgaria, I saw this astonishing construction, which may have been a former cement plant. I spent some time exploring the building, trying to “deconstruct” it with my camera. With this image, I wanted to express something impossible, like the works of Escher. Credit: David de Rueda

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 17 May 2016 at 08:18, Chris L said:

There some pretty amazing pictures on this BBC article.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160515-the-places-the-world-forgot

Just returned from a trip to Berlin and saw this by the side of the autobahn (unable to take my own picture):
http://secretcitytravel.com/berlin-april-2014/berlin-avus-racetrack-deserted-grandstand.shtml

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Had a bit of a scare earlier. There was only one chick in the nest - the other three were nowhere to be seen. After about an hour one returned, and now the other two have returned. They do start going for a walk around that ledge as they get more daring - but it is a long way down! They also get a little fed up with each other and like to get their own space. 

scare.JPG

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

14 minutes ago, suzannek said:

I reckon the cold spell has led to the good display, they do well after a hard winter usually 

Suz x

Hi Suz

I have memories of playing in a huge field full of Cowslips when I was very small. We made necklaces out of buttercups and checked to see if you liked butter by holding a buttercup under each others chins. There was a small wood - we used to be scared of getting lost, and we built a den in a small dyke. The roof was made of some corrugated steel sheets - no idea where we got those from. To be a child again - seems an eternity ago. :(

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

50 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

I can't do anything as good as Suz's cowslips, but in the heat of the Mediterranean we can produce some colour, even without much rain,

DSC05143.png

an as of now unidentified Silene growing en masse at El Refugio de Juanar, above Marbella, and,

DSC05140.png

Tuberaria guttata, the annual spotted rock rose, certainly the best display I've seen of both of them.

We have the Teesdale Rock Rose it only grows here 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, suzannek said:

We have the Teesdale Rock Rose it only grows here 

What's it's botanic specifics Suz? Just found out, it's Helianthemum canum subsp. Laevigatum, and it seems like it's really rare.

Edited by TattooDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Peter99 said:

All four chicks are doing really well still - getting braver and more independent by the day. They spend most of the time out of the nest now and go for wanders around the ledge of the building. They only really like each other when it's cold now!

Whose a pretty boy (or girl) then! More feathers than down now. handsome.JPG

Which looks like now Peter, cold and damp at the moment, and here's me with 74F and wall to wall sunshine.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

dragonfly Benalmadena 1.pngDragonfly Benalmadena 2.png

I know the first one was perched on an aloe species flower stalk, and the other is on an agave leaf, but don't know what species of dragonfly they are, I just thank them for being obliging enough to stay still.

Dave. Nice pictures mate. Martyn Pitt ( the elder ) will identify the dragonflies for you mate. He,s been around as long as they have

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. Nice pictures mate. Martyn Pitt ( the elder ) will identify the dragonflies for you mate. He,s been around as long as they have

Steve

Thanks Steve, I pretty much guessed Martyn would fill in the gaps with the dragonflies, they were in the cactus garden in Paloma Park, Benalmadena, one of my favourite haunts. 

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I found this little bird last Autumn, must have come from a lucky bag or something. So I childishly Pulled down the branches and sat it at the top of the tree.

Still there today.........not real by the way!

20160525_161755.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

11 hours ago, Peter99 said:

What a lovely dog.

What's his/her name?

Thanks, yes he's a smashing dog. Names Benson (after the butler in Soap) and he's coming up to 7 years old. Just off to walk him now!

• Helpful 1
Social source share