Missing singer in The Tams Hey Girl Dont bother me video on TOTP

Thfcliam

As this was the 1971 Christmas edition of TOTP, I think he was definitely the worse for wear due to the BBC's Christmas drinks hospitality, and had to leave the stage either to throw up, or because he was making a twat of himself.  If you look at the clip of Ashton Gardner & Dyke performing "The Resurrection Shuffle" later on in the same edition, Ashton is so p*ssed that he fluffs most of the words (yes, a live singer on TOTP)!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

8 hours ago, Gene-R said:

As this was the 1971 Christmas edition of TOTP, I think he was definitely the worse for wear due to the BBC's Christmas drinks hospitality, and had to leave the stage either to throw up, or because he was making a twat of himself.  If you look at the clip of Ashton Gardner & Dyke performing "The Resurrection Shuffle" later on in the same edition, Ashton is so p*ssed that he fluffs most of the words (yes, a live singer on TOTP)!

It was the Xmas show  but was a recording of their only TOTP appearance earlier in the year. Coincidentally HGDBM/the Tams appearance  has a unique distinction with regards to TOPT history (it is quite well known fact within totp trivia) in that its one of the very few (probably the only) time a group was featured when their single was going down the chart. It had been number one but had slipped to number two the week they appeared.

As for the singer , Horace Keys, the most common explanation put forward is that he fell off the stage, or maybe was leaving and stumbled. I've seen a couple of Tams performance from the late 60s where he looks out of synch. Like he's struggling. Maybe he suffered from stage fright. It's a real condition that can affect performance and lead to panic attacks. Just a thought. 

Social source share

At the time the group were 'cold as ice' back in the US, after having been a big live draw 4 to 6 years earlier. So they couldn't get many decent US bookings (you needed a hot new release to get high paying live gigs back across the pond). So they saw their UK visit as a way of regenerating their careers. The TOTP appearance was the biggest gig of their time in the UK and as I understand it they learnt a full stage performance (choreography) but this particular guy couldn't remember the moves and was cocking up their wanted 'smooth professional display'. So he was pulled from the stage when the camera was off the group.   

I believe they finished their performing days down on the US beach music circuit where their old 60's cuts were always popular.

Better days (1964) for the group back in their homeland. Back then they were regular performers at the top chitlin circuit theatres such as the Howard Theatre in DC .......

DAD7B.bmp.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

On 21/02/2016 at 12:46, Roburt said:

At the time the group were 'cold as ice' back in the US, after having been a big live draw 4 to 6 years earlier. So they couldn't get many decent US bookings (you needed a hot new release to get high paying live gigs back across the pond). So they saw their UK visit as a way of regenerating their careers. The TOTP appearance was the biggest gig of their time in the UK and as I understand it they learnt a full stage performance (choreography) but this particular guy couldn't remember the moves and was cocking up their wanted 'smooth professional display'. So he was pulled from the stage when the camera was off the group.   

I believe they finished their performing days down on the US beach music circuit where their old 60's cuts were always popular.

Better days (1964) for the group back in their homeland. Back then they were regular performers at the top chitlin circuit theatres such as the Howard Theatre in DC .......

DAD7B.bmp.jpg

Great, thanks for the Info.  I bet the guy felt awful 

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

Roburt is spot on . the day after at school , it was the main topic of us 14/15 year old`s about the guy cocking up his performance  on T O T P who had fook all rhythm , the main consensus was he left the stage through embarrassment , I seem to remember  some folks having trouble dancing to it at school Disco`s due to the  unusual off~beat . Funnily enough I was talking about this at the weekend and me and my mate said it was the "bald " one who left the stage !!!!!!!!!! memories ain`t what they used to be .

WiganBrian .

Social source share

I remember the first time I saw them on totp's and thought he's deffo worse for wear. Leading on from this did anyone see the Tymes, again on totp's 1974 singing Ms grace where the front row four singers had microphones and the one at the back singing his heart out with no microphone!.

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Even though the Tams were struggling a bit by 1971, they (or at least a later version of the group) were still going strong in 2006 .......  ........ they formed in 1960, so I guess no original member was still in their line-up in 2006 ......

Tams2006.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!