Colette Kelly

Mal C

Bought mine 6 mths ago £40 could of had the demo too for £35  at the same time. I play this in my sets but other than that I ain't heard it played anywhere. So who's responsible for pushing the price up to stupid figures ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

always totally random when a track gets quoted as 'being played'  and then a price hike... I think it's a load of bollocks personally. There are so many great but not so rare 45s sitting on dealers websites that I see don't sell at hiked prices... I mean the same 45s have been there for years!!  I would not pay anything over 40 for Colette Kelly, and if you get into a discussion with somebody, feel free, quote me and Daz of this thread,. It's a 40 record, PERIOD!!!

Mal

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's been knocking around for many years as a cheapie.  Always liked it, but there must be hundreds of copies out there!

Social source share

In the past 7 years only 22 have gone through ebay and you don't know if some were resold to try and make a profit its a beautiful song                                                                         

Social source share

11 minutes ago, sjclement said:

Colette Kelly Colette Kelly?

Very strange release for the Volt label internet & Discogs identify this lady as the singer of said tune an Irish musical actress whose age fits.

always reminds me of Bill Bush.

If it is the same Colette Kelly as above it would be as strange as the Lena Zavaroni release on Stax

Social source share

21 minutes ago, sjclement said:

Colette Kelly Colette Kelly?

Very strange release for the Volt label internet & Discogs identify this lady as the singer of said tune an Irish musical actress whose age fits.

always reminds me of Bill Bush.

There was also a Collette Kelly in the original cast of hair, which may be the city of fools singer, as already stated it would be well wierd if the above is the real Colette.

Social source share

Glad im not the only one thinking the worlds gone mad.£200 for this is crazy.There again if it wasnt for stupid prices lately i wouldnt nearly have paid my mortgage off.Its a combination of more collectors in the world = more demand.Also from what i hear quite regularly older people taking advantage of the relaxed pension rules and spending some lump sums. 

Tricky

Edited by TRICKY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, sjclement said:

Came across this a while back on www.dereksdaily45.blogspot.co.uk - suggests not the Irish Colette Kelly. Volt Colette Kelly not a great voice but always assumed a black singer.

In the notes with the Stax / Volt Singles Volume Two box set Rob Bowman wrote - "Colette Kelly came via a master purchase agreement with Baltimore jukebox owner Sam Ungar. Kelly was young enough at the time that her parents needed to co-sign her contract. Ungar had also recorded Little Hooks and the Kings who enjoyed a minor hit on the Eastern Seaboard with 'Give the Drummer Some' released initially on Ungar's Enjay label and then, as it showed signs of promise, on MGM. These two records were the only attempts Ungar ever made to get into the production side of the record industry. Colette Kelly never recorded again and today (1993) manages a club in Baltimore.

I have "Long and Lonely World" by her from a Dean F download. It's also from 1969 on Volt so I guess it's the flip side, and another good track.

These 2 songs city of fools and long and lonly nites WERE writen and prodused by my brother and his group The Steppin Stores, Mary M.had stolden them and didapeared, My brother still has the oridgenol demos and is now seeking leagal help for copy infringment, My brothers name is John Anello Colette Kelly sang in his band Anyone that wonts to get hold of me, Tom Anello MY EMAIL tomsram@comcast.net

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are countless records out there that sell for big money now and were buttons 20-30 years ago.

Its supply and demand and there are a lot of soulies out there.  Its a brilliant record and the only surprise to me is that the prise hasn't risen sooner.

Brian

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 6/2/2016 at 21:45, Winsford Soul said:

Had a Canadian volt demo. Don't think I paid anything for it, sure it was given to me. Great record spoilt by a awful intro.

Steve

Steve

l always liked the intro, give the record a bit of a unique feel to it.

It was popular at various mid week venues around East Lancs in the early 70's.

Also very easy to find copies back then, like you said Steve not rare, so no surprise you where given a copy.

Yours Dave T.

Edited by davetay
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Loads of info on Colette & the bands she was in contained in the 'Baltimore Sounds' book.

Seems that she started out fronting Baltimore based the Stepping Stones around 1967. By 1968 she had joined another local band, Status Quo (not the Rossi / Parfitt nutters though this lot seemed to have had a British connection). By spring 1969 she was fronting the Exquisites, who had been big on the local live gigging scene since 67. The band varied in numbers from 9 strong (when they had a brass section) down to just 5 (1970). It was this group that cut the 2 tracks credited to Colette on the Volt 45. She must have cut the songs (which presumably she'd been singing live for a while) almost as soon as she hooked up with the Exquisites. She soon moved on again and by 1971 was a member of the local prog rock group Grok. She quit that group in 1973 and next turned up (1977-ish) singing with Top 40 covers band Phoenix. This outfit played all over the place, touring extensively. By 1980, she seems to have left the performing side of the music biz.  

She & the groups she was in seemed to have little connection to Mary Mullaney, Joan Hager (mainly a country & folk singer / song writer) & Sam Unger, though obviously Sam Unger (& his Enjay Record label) provided the conduit for the record deal with Stax. No idea which local studio was utilised by Colette & the band to cut the 2 songs but there were a number of basic studios around Baltimore by the end of the 60's.

ColetteKellyMont.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

As far back as 1958, Sam Unger was Baltimore based & worked for the local One Stop Record Distributor Musical Sales Co. that had strong connections with jukebox makers Seeburg.

He must have established strong links with local club / bar owners thru his work in supplying them with jukeboxes & stocking them with records. Guess he got to know most of the local live acts this way & this must have been how he ended up running Enjay Records (though their big 45 release from 72 by Little Hooks & the Kings showed an Hollywood address for the label).

SamUngerMusSalesCo.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

10 hours ago, Reg Scott said:

Great tune but always that little too long for the dancefloor imho.. Very surprised it was played at the Torch Kegsy but you live and learn (any idea who gave it a spin up Tunstall duck?)

I suspect it would have been Colin, in common with a lot of sounds back then, it didn't last very long before being dropped, Marjorie Black One More Hurt was also played about the same time. I remember a lad (Charlie Newhouse) from Bradford getting copies of both.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!