Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, suzannek said:

Great photos Harry, do you and waggy tail a world of good all that sea air too. I love Durham Coastline.  I intend to walk it in summer. Take care xxx Suz 

When Di`s dad passed away at christmas Suz, we lost the use of the car, as it was his motobility car and i was his driver. So ive not been able to get Rosie to Crimdon beach. So we`ve been looking for a new stretch of beach, so i can let her off her lead, so this one is ideal for us, and i can get her running again, so we`ll be there a lot now, only 20 mins walk from our house, and it`s keeping me fit also :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, jkpnefc said:

Haven't a clue what this is but took on hol

3 hours ago, TattooDave said:

It's the Frangipani Hornworm moth, it feeds on Plumeria trees.

Dave's response although it looks like a joke is actually bang-on!

It is indeed Pseudosphinx tetrio (Linne 1771)

PseudosphinxtetrioprVallavicentioMetaColombia500mgn.jpg

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

6 hours ago, TattooDave said:

The caterpillar is prettier than the moth, I've seen the caterpillar a lot, but never seen the moth.

Where have you seen it Dave? I assumed it would be a USA species, one because they use the 'Hornworm' term and two because I found it in Borror and DeLongs' book. I have extensive knowledge on the Hawk Moth family Sphingidae although in Britain they aren't particularly important as habitat indicator species or of any real conservation importance, I just like them because they are what Entomologists call an 'Oh my'... As in folks say 'Oh my' on account of the size of most of them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Where have you seen it Dave? I assumed it would be a USA species, one because they use the 'Hornworm' term and two because I found it in Borror and DeLongs' book. I have extensive knowledge on the Hawk Moth family Sphingidae although in Britain they aren't particularly important as habitat indicator species or of any real conservation importance, I just like them because they are what Entomologists call an 'Oh my'... As in folks say 'Oh my' on account of the size of most of them.

Florida, though they have them in Hawaii too, but in two years of living there I never saw any, I probably wasn't looking.  They are impressive, as are most of the Hawk Moth caterpillars, 3-4" long and chubby too, the chrysalis is like two-tone, black and red, spectacular.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

St Vincents in the Carribean where I took it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, jkpnefc said:

St Vincents in the Carribean where I took it

Not so far away from Florida for a moth, anywhere where you have Frangipani growing well you'll find them, they might even be some in southern Spain as eggs could quite easily have been on imported trees.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looking good Baz.

Steve

Cheers steve !!!!!saturday allwhenevers will be startin soon :Dgarden is lookin bang on now and cant wait for summer soul do's :wicked: :wicked:thanks for the comment m8 atb baz 

Edited by baz1
Add words
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, baz1 said:

Did you spy that in the background dave ? My wife got it friday and its incredible !!!!!!:Dthe flowers die away and look better :thumbup:fukin ride on ye :D:D

Yes Baz, that's why I posted up mine.  If you want to grow hellebores successfully, cut the foliage away in November/ December, the flowers show themselves better that way, cut the flowers off before they set seed as the seedlings are prolific and are usually stronger than adult plants (bizarrely) unless you want to grow them on in a greenhouse, feed them straight after flowering has finished, they work well with roses, as both like a bit of spent mushroom compost.  The Washfield doubles bred by Elizabeth Strangman are getting to be everywhere now and are inexpensive, and are very obliging in producing lots of flower.  There's a book by Graham Rice and Elizabeth Strangman  called The Gardener's Guide To Growing Hellebores which is well worth the money, especially if you can pick one up second hand.

Social source share

On 25/03/2017 at 08:35, TattooDave said:

Yes Baz, that's why I posted up mine.  If you want to grow hellebores successfully, cut the foliage away in November/ December, the flowers show themselves better that way, cut the flowers off before they set seed as the seedlings are prolific and are usually stronger than adult plants (bizarrely) unless you want to grow them on in a greenhouse, feed them straight after flowering has finished, they work well with roses, as both like a bit of spent mushroom compost.  The Washfield doubles bred by Elizabeth Strangman are getting to be everywhere now and are inexpensive, and are very obliging in producing lots of flower.  There's a book by Graham Rice and Elizabeth Strangman  called The Gardener's Guide To Growing Hellebores which is well worth the money, especially if you can pick one up second hand.

Cheers for the info dave !!!!we want that border full to the brim,so your saying if we leave them to seed they'll go mad ?:yes: 

Social source share

1 hour ago, baz1 said:

Cheers for the info dave !!!!we want that border full to the brim,so your saying if we leave them to seed they'll go mad ?:yes: 

Pretty much Baz, as long as the border is well fed, they like a bit of fertilizer, it might take a couple of years to see flowers from the seedlings, but once they are happy they'll run riot.

Social source share

58 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Pretty much Baz, as long as the border is well fed, they like a bit of fertilizer, it might take a couple of years to see flowers from the seedlings, but once they are happy they'll run riot.

Got fish blood and bone ? Any good 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, TattooDave said:

That should do, it's pretty much an all purpose feed, might pay you to get some sulphate of ammonia too.

Got other plants in there too ! Bleeding hearts,huchera,penstimens,primula,flock,agapanthus,rose,aquelegia,fretillary and cyclamon !! Will they all take the sulphate of amonia ? Cheers baz

• Helpful 1
Social source share

33 minutes ago, baz1 said:

Got other plants in there too ! Bleeding hearts,huchera,penstimens,primula,flock,agapanthus,rose,aquelegia,fretillary and cyclamon !! Will they all take the sulphate of amonia ? Cheers baz

The later flowering ones like penstemons might not like an early dose of it, but the rest should love it.  When the primulas get large you should split them up and replant them, preferably with a little shade.  The aquilegias will self sow, so there's some free plants.  The cyclamen will probably disappear completely for the summer, but try and remember where they are.  I take it that by bleeding heart you mean Dicentra spectabilis? Dicentra is a good family to investigate, lots of species that do well in shade and semi shade and have valuable spring flowers.  The fritillaries again would be helpful with a specific, the larger species along with the agapanthus enjoy a bit of being root bound or competition from other plants.  The phlox are a late summer flowerer and are prone to mildew, but good garden maintenance and air circulation helps enormously.  Heuchera will self sow when happy, a vast family due to recent plant breeding, I saw a vast display at a nursery near Newark that was incredibly colourful, though I was only tempted by Geranium phaeum varieties as I was collecting them with a view to breeding new ones before I came to live in Spain.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Well the Swallows have finally arrived in the northwest of the UK. Managed to see five together today at Pennington Flash. Equalling the earliest that I have ever seen them.  27th March. Two years on the run 

Steve

Excellent news. Not seen any here from the comfort of home yet, although they could already be swooping and skimming across the lake behind us, but which is just out of sight. Will keep an eye open.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Well the Swallows have finally arrived in the northwest of the UK. Managed to see five together today at Pennington Flash. Equalling the earliest that I have ever seen them.  27th March. Two years on the run 

Steve

Us Swifts will be next :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

7 minutes ago, HARRY CROSBY said:

We got our new Male. Smooth fox  terrier "Bob" yesterday 6 months old. Rosie our little Bitch, has really taken to him. He was only here 2 hours when i took this one. Looks like we are in for some fun this summer with these two. He lived with another two, he`s the last of a litter from last August, he lived with an old country lad who is getting bad on his legs now, so he`s keeping his two older ones, but needed a new home for young "Bob". We`ve just been out for our first walk, he`s never been on a lead before, the old guy used to drive from his home up onto a near by moor in his landrover and the dogs ran behind him. He did really well on the lead, gonna need a bit of work, but we will get him there.:thumbsup:  He`s the one with the harness on.:)

bed.JPG

That's lovely Harry.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, HARRY CROSBY said:

We got our new Male. Smooth fox  terrier "Bob" yesterday 6 months old. Rosie our little Bitch, has really taken to him. He was only here 2 hours when i took this one. Looks like we are in for some fun this summer with these two. He lived with another two, he`s the last of a litter from last August, he lived with an old country lad who is getting bad on his legs now, so he`s keeping his two older ones, but needed a new home for young "Bob". We`ve just been out for our first walk, he`s never been on a lead before, the old guy used to drive from his home up onto a near by moor in his landrover and the dogs ran behind him. He did really well on the lead, gonna need a bit of work, but we will get him there.:thumbsup:  He`s the one with the harness on.:)

bed.JPG

How long before he knows how to use the record player? 

Social source share