Jump to content

Memorable DJ set


 Share

Recommended Posts

Was at the Dome Alldayer on Sunday 11th March. Ted Massey played a fantastic set, as good as any I’ve heard in years. Tomangoes on Washpan, Mello Souls, Parisians, Del Larks on Queen City, Hamilton Movement, Eddie Parker on Awake, Saxie Russell, Emanons Orchestra, finishing off with Timi Yuro. Plenty of others including some real obscurities ie no idea what they were... Great venue, big crowd, packed dancefloor and a brilliant spot from Ted.

So, has anyone experienced a really memorable DJ set in the past or more recently? Not necessarily packed with rarities, but maybe some unknowns that went down well or a set of classics that raised the roof?

Link to comment
Social source share

See my review from Willington Saturday night regarding Dave Eyles set. But it was the way the set was put together that was class alongside the quality of the tunes. Never seen a Del Larks Queen City demo before.  

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Terry Westhead at the Soul Shack a few years back played a string of records, which were pretty much my top five....one after the other... incredible. Rest of his set just topped it off. A real defining moment for me.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

29 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Russ Vickers , Colin Law and Kitch at Va Va Voom a week or so back , six sublime sets ... :thumbsup:

I can still remember Russ DJing at the 100 Club in the mid 1990’s, it was that good a set and the energy levels were really something.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

1999 soul weekender in Blackpool - was a die hard 60's only snob and left with a passion for modern soul, went for the Northern, spent the 2nd night in the modern room - friendly crowd, great music - can't remember who DJ'd tbh (sorry) but that event widened my appreciation of soul music, it's stuck in the memory, plus Barbara Lynn live

 

 

Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, shufflin said:

1999 soul weekender in Blackpool - was a die hard 60's only snob and left with a passion for modern soul, went for the Northern, spent the 2nd night in the modern room - friendly crowd, great music - can't remember who DJ'd tbh (sorry) but that event widened my appreciation of soul music, it's stuck in the memory, plus Barbara Lynn live

 

 

Sounds like some of us who went to the Mecca expecting 60’s sounds and left with a liking for some of the 70’s releases as well.

Was the weekender in the Tower Ballroom? One of the best dancehalls in the land and sure to boost the success of any event.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
Link to comment
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
30 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Sounds like some of us who went to the Mecca expecting 60’s sounds and left with a liking for some of the 70’s releaes as well.

Was the weekender in the Tower Ballroom? One of the best dancehalls in the land and sure to boost the success of any event.

Cala Gran Fleetwood, different venue

Link to comment
Social source share

Dave Jowett did an hour at the Parklands in Donny about 6 months ago and I was talking about it for ages afterwards .

Some classic oldies, plus a couple that I didn't know but kept the Floor full for his whole set, so much so that I kept dancing even when I wanted ( needed ) to sit down !! 

Made my night. 

Neal. 

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Butch.s first ever set mellosouls walter& admirations Diane Lewis  imperial c.s devotions  etc blew you away 

 

:-):-):-) 

Edited by speedlimit
  • Up vote 3
Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, speedlimit said:

Butch.s first ever set mellosouls walter& admirations Diane Lewis  imperial c.s devotions  etc blew you away 

 

:-):-):-) 

Where was that Steve ?

 

were a lot of those tracks being heard for the first time or had butch already got people familiar by putting them on tapes ?

Link to comment
Social source share

I have had some memorable tapes and cd’s that have helped me broaden my tastes and expose me to some fantastic new sounds.

 

i probably hold these in higher regard than any Dj spot as i’ve been able to really get to know the tracks.

 

the first time I heard little Stanley the stran in an all nighter was fantastic such a great nighter record.  Kitch played it and it was a copy off eBay he had outbid me on.

Link to comment
Social source share

4 hours ago, speedlimit said:

Butch.s first ever set mellosouls walter& admirations Diane Lewis  imperial c.s devotions  etc blew you away 

 

:-):-):-) 

I was wondering if someone would actually credit a Dj who discovered some records rather than credit oldies Djs playing other peoples records.  Bit of a sorry state when oldies are the most memorable sets.  

Have to agree with Butch, always was and still is an air of anticipation waiting for him to get behind the decks.  His mid 80s sets like you said blew you away.

His sets at the first Lifeline, 2004,  was pure soul heaven. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

I was wondering if someone would actually credit a Dj who discovered some records rather than credit oldies Djs playing other peoples records.  Bit of a sorry state when oldies are the most memorable sets.  

Have to agree with Butch, always was and still is an air of anticipation waiting for him to get behind the decks.  His mid 80s sets like you said blew you away.

His sets at the first Lifeline, 2004,  was pure soul heaven. 

Good point Chalkie. I can remember a set played by Gaz Kellett and most were unfamiliar but I would’ve been proud to own them all, they were that good. Perhaps it’s hard, maybe impossible, to spin 20 unknown sounds in a set and get a great reaction?

Link to comment
Social source share

7 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Good point Chalkie. I can remember a set played by Gaz Kellett and most were unfamiliar but I would’ve been proud to own them all, they were that good. Perhaps it’s hard, maybe impossible, to spin 20 unknown sounds in a set and get a great reaction?

Its practically impossible to do a set of unknowns now but BITD it was the norm?

As much as I love the oldies, the rare ones etc, I get quickly bored when they are trotted out one after the other.  I much prefer a set of imaginative forgotten or lesser played stuff, always have done  

But speaking of rarities, Butch’s recent 70s, crossover etc set at Steve Plumb’s night was another memorable night.  Two hours of cover ups, acetates and rarities, he didn’t eben delve into the 60s that he is noted for. 

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

13 minutes ago, chalky said:

Its practically impossible to do a set of unknowns now but BITD it was the norm?

As much as I love the oldies, the rare ones etc, I get quickly bored when they are trotted out one after the other.  I much prefer a set of imaginative forgotten or lesser played stuff, always have done  

But speaking of rarities, Butch’s recent 70s, crossover etc set at Steve Plumb’s night was another memorable night.  Two hours of cover ups, acetates and rarities, he didn’t eben delve into the 60s that he is noted for. 

Chalky.  We both had the pleasure of listening to Butch at the recent Springfield nighter when he played sublime sets in both rooms. He has been at the top of the tree for what seems like ever. 

Steve 

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Chalky.  We both had the pleasure of listening to Butch at the recent Springfield nighter when he played sublime sets in both rooms. He has been at the top of the tree for what seems like ever. 

Steve 

Another great set mate. No one to touch him really.

Andy Dyson played a fabulous couple of sets at Boomerang couple of years ago too. 

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

22 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

See my review from Willington Saturday night regarding Dave Eyles set. But it was the way the set was put together that was class alongside the quality of the tunes. Never seen a Del Larks Queen City demo before.  

Steve 

Dave Eyles is playing at pure soul in Nuneaton in April. I'm looking forward to hearing him, heard good things...it's a rare, underplayed club so he can do what he wants, my kind of night but not for everyone...lots of oldies are great and should be included in sets...lovely to hear lots of new stuff though....kind regards...Rob.

p.s never heard a bad set from mr massey, he has one or two good records!!

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

When mick h used to run the union on the banks of the Trent there was some brilliant sets played.

 

mick, rob thomas and one other who was also fantastic.

 

was that andy rix ?

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

The first time Mr Croasdell unleashed the unreleased RCA stuff at the 100 Club has to go down as one of the greatest sets ever played ... :yes:

I remember it well as I was there. Seldom do you hear so many top tunes unleashed at once. Ady has a proven track record of introducing top-drawer sounds left on the master-tape shelf amongst sets of forgotten classics and Motown staples.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

22 hours ago, dylan said:

Where was that Steve ?

 

were a lot of those tracks being heard for the first time or had butch already got people familiar by putting them on tapes ?

It was the first  time anyone had heard them out  would be 86-87 

Link to comment
Social source share

17 hours ago, dylan said:

When mick h used to run the union on the banks of the Trent there was some brilliant sets played.

 

mick, rob thomas and one other who was also fantastic.

 

was that andy rix ?

Have to agree union was great upfront venue sadly missed 

Link to comment
Social source share

Dave Greet at Life-line some years back - I think every single one of his choices got a huge cheer / round of applause! :D

Len :thumbsup:

 

Link to comment
Social source share

3 hours ago, LEN said:

Dave Greet at Life-line some years back - I think every single one of his choices got a huge cheer / round of applause! :D

Len :thumbsup:

 

Remember the night well, Dave was so nervous he was shaking. I don’t know why he did great. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Andy Gill  from near Fakenham in Norfolk during the late 80ts djing at the Backstreet soul club (Norwich )

Playing the; 

Passions- If you see my baby ,  

Sensations -Demanding man

Ray Williams -gonna get even

Poets -just a boys dream

Fascinators - in other words

Johnny soul - can't buy me no love

and the list goes on !  all direct from Soul Bowl   - GREAT DAYS

 

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

Richard Searling back in the day! His Wigan spots could be awesome.

Just when you thought it was safe to return to the water, he would unleash another Northern Soul monster!

Link to comment
Social source share

It's an interesting thread developing, but another where it's obviously going to be highly subjective, as with most talk about Northern Soul because we all have differing taste (a good thing IMHO :thumbup:)

Without trying to hi-jack or divert the topic I'd be interested in what folk think makes a good set (regardless of the actual tunes) i.e. a set that builds up in tempo throughout, or  that  contains a range of sub-genres, introduces different tunes amongst a blanket of well tried out favourites or even how the DJ interacts with the floor?? - obviously this can be set against the backdrop of the actual tracks themselves!

Or not :D

  • Up vote 3
Link to comment
Social source share

To me 'eddiefoster', what makes a good set, is individual creative thinking in ref to what someone chooses to play, playing them 'in context', so connecting with the dancers / listeners.

"Wow haven't heard this for years!" (etc)

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Playing SOUL music helps :wink:

 

Link to comment
Social source share

24 minutes ago, eddiefoster said:

It's an interesting thread developing, but another where it's obviously going to be highly subjective, as with most talk about Northern Soul because we all have differing taste (a good thing IMHO :thumbup:)

Without trying to hi-jack or divert the topic I'd be interested in what folk think makes a good set (regardless of the actual tunes) i.e. a set that builds up in tempo throughout, or  that  contains a range of sub-genres, introduces different tunes amongst a blanket of well tried out favourites or even how the DJ interacts with the floor?? - obviously this can be set against the backdrop of the actual tracks themselves!

Or not :D

For sure, there are a lot of factors that make a good set - varying the tempo is indeed a key aspect that fills the floor and keeps the dancers moving after a string of up-tempo tracks. The DJ who overlooks crossover tunes is missing a trick as these now enhance an oldies set more than ever with their high ‘happiness’ quotient. Ultimately though, it is the tunes that make for a memorable set, the sequence they’re played in, their age and therefore genre etc; a few surprise tunes clinch it, that world premier, the overlooked B side, that something from out of left-field.

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

A Dave the Dentist set at Prestatyn one afternoon session, or was it Cleethorpes ?.

An Arthur Fenn session at Cleethorpes or was it Prestatyn ?.

All Martyn Ellis sets at the Torch.

I have no idea what records were played in any of the above sets but for some reason I remember them.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, solidsoul said:

Richard Searling back in the day! His Wigan spots could be awesome.

Just when you thought it was safe to return to the water, he would unleash another Northern Soul monster!

Totally agreed, the Godfather of memorable sets. I was at the 100  Club when Richard spun Holly Maxwell’s ‘Only When You’re Lonely’, an overlooked B side, and the ground moved. From then on, mid-tempo tunes became the rage, building upon their widespread acceptance at Stafford.

Link to comment
Social source share

One of the resident Dj's set at Pershore last year, don't know his name,  early doors he said he was going to play some underplayed stuff, no more than a couple of people danced but he stuck to his guns, played some fantastic tunes ,me and my mate still mention it now, as I said to the Dj after his set, made the trip down from North of Manchester worth the effort even if the rest of the night turned out to be crap which it wasn't.

    As for what makes a great set, I like to hear a fair few I've never heard, a few I know from YouTube but have never heard played out, two or three beat ballads unknown to me if possible, a couple that it's been that long since I heard them played out they come as a surprise and in between  I quite like it when a Dj throws in a common as muck record that's at odds with everything else he or she has played, trying to think of an example ,it's happened a couple of times but I can't recall the tunes but I do remember turning to whoever I was with saying never thought I'd hear that at a Northern night.

  • Up vote 3
Link to comment
Social source share

  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2018 at 21:17, Kegsy said:

 

All Martyn Ellis sets at the Torch.

 

Aah, Marvellous Martyn. A good friend of mine back in the early to mid 70's. One of the scenes greatest characters, and almost certainly the finest DJ we have ever seen. Those of us lucky enough to, that is.

Why? Well, I suppose it all boils down to what you reckon a DJ is. Discoverer of new sounds? Nope, anyone can do that, as has been seen so many times in the past. Someone who takes a sound and pushes to make it big? Nope, non DJs have done that also. And I don't hold to the theory that a DJ is there to "educate" me either. For me, a DJ is someone who can look at the crowd in any venue, assess them, and what they want, then deliver it. Every,. Single. Time. Martyn was the master at that. As you say, his spots at the Torch were legendary. To me, he outshone all the others, Levine, Jebb, Day (all tremendous DJs at that time) included. His occasional spots at the Pendulum never failed to deliver either. Sometimes funny, sometimes downright bloody hilarious. I even gave him a spot one night at the Magnet. He filled that tiny floor to overflowing. Even the bloody carpets were almost worn out, as everyone wanted to dance. Most didn't notice it, but his witticisms between tunes, and general patter, had me in stitches. And he did all this without ever having his own bloody records!

But for me, the spot that really stood out was actually late summer/early autumn 74 in the Casino main room. I was stood on the stage to the side of the decks, speaking with him. Actually, I was attempting to sell him a little "something". (But thats another story). A very well known DJ was behind the decks, doing his thing, and fast approaching "King" status. But, there were one or two gaps on the dance floor! If you were there at the time, you'd know this was almost unheard of. Suddenly, Martyn said, "Hang on a minute, I'm on". He proceeded to launch himself into the finest spot I've ever heard, by anyone, anywhere. Dipping in and out of everyones else's box, he filled that floor so thickly that most couldn't even move. At one point, I swear you could see the stars, as the bloody roof tiles were lifted off the rafters. After every sound, (they were, to the best of my memory, all Torch oldies), he received the customary round of applause. But louder. He signed off with a few usual Ellis words, and introduced as his final tune, the big cover-up of the day, "Black ship to hell".  He didnt just get applause, he got a roar. And I mean, a ROAR. It was for me, the best I ever saw him perform. He took that crowd, lifted them off their feet, and bloody well owned the place. The DJ scheduled to follow him (who will have to remain nameless), turned to Russ, and said "He's a  right c**t isnt he?). I nearly wet myself. He just turned around, said "What were you on about Joey? Have you seen Lyn around?", and wandered backstage to the DJs room. Might have been the best half hour I ever spent in that main room. Funnily enough, he had a habit of always picking the big tune of the day, usually someone's big discovery, and playing it before they said "no". Did it with "Black ship to hell" a few times. Lol.

So, Martyn Ellis. One of the scenes most recognisable and well known "faces". A great friend with a smile usually on his face and a quip on his lips. And a fantastic DJ who's spots weren't just enjoyed by all, but looked forward to, as one of the highlights of the night.

Rest in Peace mate.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Social source share

Soul Sam was just  magic at the Norwich Alldayer in November. Think he knew that he would have to be a little less adventurous than he can be but that mix of rarities and Motown was just perfection.

Mark C:thumbsup:

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

I've heard Soul Sam do some tremendous sets at the Whitby weekender during the last 4 years. He usually does a rarities and Motown mix under the Cleethorpes classics banner on a Sunday afternoon, and these are consistently great. His funk sets in the market place are absolutely tip top, and in 2015 he played a belter of a modern set downstairs on the Saturday night.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 17:00, chalky said:

I was wondering if someone would actually credit a Dj who discovered some records rather than credit oldies Djs playing other peoples records.  Bit of a sorry state when oldies are the most memorable sets.  

Have to agree with Butch, always was and still is an air of anticipation waiting for him to get behind the decks.  His mid 80s sets like you said blew you away.

His sets at the first Lifeline, 2004,  was pure soul heaven. 

Totally agree Sir, I typed out an allnighter review for my magazine in the late-90's, the Dude who wrote the review listed many of the top sounds of the day but what was interesting was that he highlighted the DJ's who broke the records in the first place...take a bow Wayne Hudson.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

On 12 March 2018 at 20:40, WoodButcher said:

Russ Vickers , Colin Law and Kitch at Va Va Voom a week or so back , six sublime sets ... :thumbsup:

That afternoon will take some beating! A yardstick for the rest of the year😜😜 don't forget the rest of dj's that day...Adey, Yann etc and the early doors guys were brilliant

Edited by tiggerwoods
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

On 26/03/2018 at 14:20, BackstreetNiter said:

Butch at The Box in Crewe! Wow 

Butch anywhere, anytime.  Never known him play a set that’s less than memorable down the decades. Always willing to chance an unknown rarity. Consistently top-drawer sets including Tranells, Walter And The Admerations, Mello Souls, Parisians, Martha Jean Love, Tomangoes, Joseph Webster, Rufus Wood, Cody Black, Milton James, Saints, Cleveland Robinson...the list of top tunes is endless.

Link to comment
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!
 Share

  1. Memorable Song Introductions From Dj's
    All About The Soul by melodyvideo on Wed 10 Nov 2010
    • 46 / 4282
    • Ted Massey on 28 Nov 2010
  2. Northern Soul Memorable Moments.
    All About The Soul by Len on Fri 22 Jan 2021
    • 23 / 1478
    • Wiganer1 on 28 Jan 2021
  3. Least Memorable/most Disappointing Live Soul Act
    All About The Soul by TONY ROUNCE on Tue 29 Jan 2008
    • 112 / 10191
    • Stephen Houghton on 25 Jul 2021
  4. Most Memorable Live Soul Group
    All About The Soul by Arabica on Mon 28 Jan 2008
    • 77 / 4124
    • WPaulVanDyk on 06 Feb 2008
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.