Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I have a very infrequent ( maybe 4 times i have seen it )  visitor to my back garden and never when i have had the camera but just now despite the doom and gloom of the rain and the bird deep within the Berberis bush i actually managed a for now record shot  until i can capture it in decent lighting in the open. Sorry about the picture quality

Male Blackcap

IB2A1093 (2).JPG

IB2A1096 (2).JPG

Steve what a little  belter , beautiful bird 👍

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Well I finally got my backside into gear today and went fishing 🎣  for the first time in a few years. ( only because there's no Canal matches local these days  ) Managed 17 Carp, best 4 where about 8lb each and the others between 3lb and 6lb along with plenty of Roach,  gudgeon and 1 small Skimmer Bream. All caught on the pole close in the margins as you can see on the short video, so not to bad for just 5 hours fishing 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Mal C said:

I was fishing again over the wkd, took my family to a Holiday house overlooking Whelford Pools in Fairford, nr Gloucestershire, next to RAF Fairford..  well worth a visit to fish or just to kick back .. got a new Robin friend, cocky bugger even ate bolies out of the palm of my hand 🙂  check the middle fish, literally like a football, I could not keep hold of her...

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

That looks fantastic Mal. Some nice fish there mate. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I was fishing again over the wkd, took my family to a Holiday house overlooking Whelford Pools in Fairford, nr Gloucestershire, next to RAF Fairford..  well worth a visit to fish or just to kick back .. got a new Robin friend, cocky bugger even ate bolies out of the palm of my hand 🙂  check the middle fish, literally like a football, I could not keep hold of her...

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

brilliant Steve,  you caught that on a pole right? gives me the shivers how you match boys play large carp with an elastic band! 

Yes mate. All on the Pole. Bit rusty regarding playing them but towards the end it was OK. I was only fishing in a foot of water so when you  hook one they really rip off to fray the nerves 🤣

Biggest I've ever caught on the Pole was 15lb 8 oz 😳 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That looks fantastic Mal. Some nice fish there mate. 

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Yes mate. All on the Pole. Bit rusty regarding playing them but towards the end it was OK. I was only fishing in a foot of water so when you  hook one they really rip off to fray the nerves 🤣

Biggest I've ever caught on the Pole was 15lb 8 oz 😳 

Ive seen it done, its proper madness, but takes allot of skill... love the video.. I should video a screamer take for folks to get a sense of the excitement.... when they go, they go!!!  The football as I'm calling her, weighed in at 24lb, the last one was 25lb believe it or not... think allot have spawned for the last time this year, they were hungry and aggressive in the fight...

its very 'Carpy' this thread...

Social source share

43 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Ive seen it done, its proper madness, but takes allot of skill... love the video.. I should video a screamer take for folks to get a sense of the excitement.... when they go, they go!!!  The football as I'm calling her, weighed in at 24lb, the last one was 25lb believe it or not... think allot have spawned for the last time this year, they were hungry and aggressive in the fight...

its very 'Carpy' this thread...

Lamont Dozier. Something fishy going on . They proper fish that you catch mate, not like the tiddlers I get. , I was just glad I didn't get a carp take my pellet bait when I was filming the video otherwise all hell would have been let loose 🤔😁👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Davenpete said:

Thought it was about time I shook myself and got out on another hike - so did my favourite walk round Ennerdale, an easy 8 mile jaunt around what I reckon is the prettiest of the Lakes. Excuses why I've not been out hiking more over the last month or so:

A] I ran myself over - no I REALLY did! (actually the exercise did my various lumps and bumps and cranked up back the power of good in loosening it all up)

B] Recovering from an excess of fun at Cleethorpes (your own stupid fault Carne when are you gonna grow up?)

C] Being admitted to the Cumberland with crippling stomach pains (visiting this hospital is a near death experience in itself - endoscopy on Wednesday, though things seem OK right now which probably means I'm doomed)

Er that's it (at least all I'll admit to).

Dx

DSC02200.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02233.jpg

DSC02235 B.jpg

Great pictures of a great place 👍

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Just now, Reissue55 said:

DCA2EA74-F584-4762-BF40-51DAFB41E704.thumb.jpeg.91853054fc624c64fbc979d1009505df.jpeg

Have taken to id ing field mushrooms and fungi to expand my knowledge of locating edble mushrooms found this which i stress i didnt pick as i try to id them while their rooted just for perspective i take a size 9 it belongs to the bolete family of polypore mushrooms and is edible though nondescript in terms of flavour (mushroom it say in the guide lol)

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Not a great photo quality wise but chuffed to find this little fella outside my back door  last night devouring a large slug , first one I have seen on my garden for probably a decade.

1827066755_IMG_20210821_2225147212.thumb.jpg.d89c0030dddb2f9b825dc125a817fbac.jpg

Slugs are not the best for hogs, they will eat them though if they are starving. Cat or dog food is great, definitely no mealworms or bird seed as they make them really sick. 

You are very lucky to have these endangered sweethearts in your garden. If you can put out fresh water and cat / dog food every night (dry kitten biscuits is best, or anything that lists meat first as that means the highest ingredient is protein) you will literally be a life saver. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Jumpinjoan said:

Slugs are not the best for hogs, they will eat them though if they are starving. Cat or dog food is great, definitely no mealworms or bird seed as they make them really sick. 

You are very lucky to have these endangered sweethearts in your garden. If you can put out fresh water and cat / dog food every night (dry kitten biscuits is best, or anything that lists meat first as that means the highest ingredient is protein) you will literally be a life saver. 

Thanks Joan , always thought that slugs along with worms were their staple diet putting dog food or cat food in my garden will have to thought about I have enough bloody cats coming  though my garden without encouragement .

Will have to give some thought how to feed them without it attracting the cats , maybe put it under some propt up roofing tiles I have in the shrubs where the little fella disappeared to.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Thanks Joan , always thought that slugs along with worms were their staple diet putting dog food or cat food in my garden will have to thought about I have enough bloody cats coming  though my garden without encouragement .

Will have to give some thought how to feed them without it attracting the cats , maybe put it under some propt up roofing tiles I have in the shrubs where the little fella disappeared to.

I used to think that too and they will of course eat them. The lovely lady at Hedgehog Cabin has opened my eyes to the world of hogs. She has loads of info on her website with regards feeding them etc. Not sure if links are permitted but a quick Google will bring her up.

It's always a tricky balance regarding feeding due to other species pulling up at the buffet, and of course effort, but so worthwhile as they are in real danger. You're very lucky to have them x

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Jumpinjoan said:

I used to think that too and they will of course eat them. The lovely lady at Hedgehog Cabin has opened my eyes to the world of hogs. She has loads of info on her website with regards feeding them etc. Not sure if links are permitted but a quick Google will bring her up.

It's always a tricky balance regarding feeding due to other species pulling up at the buffet, and of course effort, but so worthwhile as they are in real danger. You're very lucky to have them x

On my allotment we have hedgehogs about, so I’ve been told to avoid harming them instead of using slug pellets to use porridge flakes as the slugs eat porridge flakes and kills them but then is harmless to hedgehogs if they’re hungry enough for slugs being on their menu , just putting it out there as any garden lovers on here could try it too . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Only trip to a farm in wavertree nr chester on NYE many years ago, wish id taken ma  phone or camera  as aside from the precarious state of the floor holding about 200 people bang at it, the holes were covered up by little squares of cut out hardboard, THE FIFTY FEET TALL STAINLESS STEEL WICCA MAN CONSTRUCTED OUTSIDE THE MILKING SHED, gave me a bit of a start! COTTON TREE FARM AND ONE TREE ISLAND , what a brilliant night

• Up vote 1
Social source share