Terry Callier

2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Seriously....where did this come from?

Brilliant.

Ed

I first heard thanks to a tape from Robin Salter. Heard it much more at places like Southport. Fantastic record. He played Southport one Sunday afternoon and only about 20 stayed for it. He was brilliant 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

First time I heard anything by Terry Callier was around 78/79 when a guy called Nick Cowan played "Look at me now" at the Carlton Club in Warrington. It had such an impact on me I found one within a couple of months.

Nick was a guest on Terry Lanaines BBC Radio Merseyside's Keep On Trucking show and did a few local clubs back then never heard of him since.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I saw him at Leeds Central a few years before he passed away.

As far as I could tell, the crowd were mainly university students, not into northern, but into his unique poetry in motion soul/jazz style.

Ed

I was there too - fab gig!

Rich

Social source share

12 hours ago, washlively said:

First time I heard anything by Terry Callier was around 78/79 when a guy called Nick Cowan played "Look at me now" at the Carlton Club in Warrington. It had such an impact on me I found one within a couple of months.

Nick was a guest on Terry Lanaines BBC Radio Merseyside's Keep On Trucking show and did a few local clubs back then never heard of him since.

Nick was a well-known collector in the Stoke area, I often used to see him late 70s / early 80s. He’d call round my flat with a pile of great records I’d never heard, and I always put a few on my wants list. I remember first hearing the Dynells from Nick, and buying it from Soul Bowl for £1.50 soon after. Those were the days! He moved to Merseyside soon after, and I lost touch, sadly

Social source share

Watched him live twice at the Atomic Cafe here in Munich. Both gigs are in my All time Top 2 list of live concerts. Such a great artist. And such a humble person.

I highly recommend the albums he recorded after his career was revived on Talkin' Loud and Mr. Bongo, rather jazzy but also oh so soulful.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 28/05/2022 at 20:07, Nickinstoke said:

Nick was a well-known collector in the Stoke area, I often used to see him late 70s / early 80s. He’d call round my flat with a pile of great records I’d never heard, and I always put a few on my wants list. I remember first hearing the Dynells from Nick, and buying it from Soul Bowl for £1.50 soon after. Those were the days! He moved to Merseyside soon after, and I lost touch, sadly

Thanks for that I didnt know he was from Stoke. I saw him dj a few times in the north west one club in St Helens where he played frankie and johnny when it was huge and also at the Carlton Warrington. Don't know what happend to him after that. I dont recall seeing him at Saints Club St Helens in the 90's.  I enjoyed chatting to him as he was always after 60's newies to play when the scene really needed it before Stafford came along.

Social source share

On 28/05/2022 at 07:49, washlively said:

Chris, @washlively your post spurred me to dig out a short clip of the show 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!