News: Heads Up - Upcoming/New Releases - late 2022

Mike

The Decisions - That Girl - Soul Direction

B/W - Come Round Here (and Let Me Love You)

COMING SOON (RELEASE DATE MID/LATE NOVEMBER)

Coming soon and or the first time in any format but now on Vinyl and digital purchase. 

Following on from the enormous success of the first release by The Decisions on Soul Direction of two the two tracks “We’re In Love” and “I Love You” comes a second and equally sublime duo of tracks from the same studio session. Both tracks are from a almost lost master tape that was sent to a LA music executive in 1968 by the group but was sadly never returned.  The tracks recorded in 1968 and would have been a possible release for the bands own label “York Records” 

Licensed courtesy and in conjunction with Fred White and The Decisions

Edited by Manfromsoul45s
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 03/11/2022 at 07:25, Source said:

A quick shoot and forget topic for heads up news (or catch ups!) on upcoming/new soul releases 

Feel free all to add a quick shout up of any current/releases (best if keep it short and sharp as we do have the news feature for full info posts)

Soul Direction have a new 45 coming up

heads-up.jpg

release date?

can we drop the fbook and subscription links in this topic

the idea being a topic to quickly inform our members  not to  try and drag them off elsewhere

as said

Feel free all to add a quick shout up of any current/releases (best if keep it short and sharp as we do have the news feature for full info posts)

Social source share

Neither version is my cup of tea. Has anything been revealed about the origins of this and who the artist is? I know it's supposedly an acetate from 1979. But doesn't sound like black music from 1979 to me at all. Sounds more like a US AOR rock type act or a recent recording..?

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/11/2022 at 00:26, Joesoap said:

Neither version is my cup of tea. Has anything been revealed about the origins of this and who the artist is? I know it's supposedly an acetate from 1979. But doesn't sound like black music from 1979 to me at all. Sounds more like a US AOR rock type act or a recent recording..?

Yes you could well be on to something…I’ve listened to both versions and it does sound like a more modern production than 1979 (obviously the 12” will as it’s a remix!). I’m quite happy to be proved wrong if it indeed does turn out to be a true ‘79 slate. Similar to the Jeffords Brothers number on the “Can You Feel It?” compilation, it is a nice song but not sure it really is a disco track in my opinion.

The press blurb stating “mysterious House Bros” also sets off alarm bells. Almost every time I’ve heard the mysterious phrase it turns out to be a well known team behind the recording trying to either get one over on the connoisseurs or because the credibility of the artist probably wouldn’t sell it without hype. No doubt all will be revealed in time as always…

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 14/11/2022 at 18:44, Chalky said:

The second release from Glamp Rd drops 27th Nov.  It's had some exposure via Ged and Ian Wills played out as Kim Weston.

https://www.glamprd.com/records/coming-soon

just seen the video has been posted in events by @Soulfulmerlin

BBC George Gently soundtrack related which is a bit ironic

here are

Release date 27th November 2022 limited to 300 numbered copies world-wide.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 13/11/2022 at 20:20, Chalky said:

House Brothers is from 1979 and it sounds from that period as well, doesn't remotely sound like a modern recording.  The date is typed on the label and on an info label on the sleeve.  Fantastic record IMO.

Demand appears to be pushing up price . Record Shack have now listed one 225€

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Sorry you didn't get it Mal. However my first time of hearing it was Rugby Allnighter and Dave Rimmer played it out and my ears though now damaged. He started believed to be Kim Weston. Fact only 300 copies may become available is disappointing.. one if I'm lucky enough to buy. Will be in my collection and featured record at Tiffany's. 

As we are true to the term across the board Soul Venue. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Micksmix said:

It was played by Ged Parker c/u as Kim Weston, as above it's a group called mid town assembly.

Sorry Mick you must have been missing from the room. Dave Rimmer defo played it. I do have a hearing issue. Was covered as Kim Weston and as I have now found out back tracking with Dave. Ged made the discovery. Which is fine and what a find. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Sorry you didn't get it Mal. However my first time of hearing it was Rugby Allnighter and Dave Rimmer played it out and my ears though now damaged. He started believed to be Kim Weston. Fact only 300 copies may become available is disappointing.. one if I'm lucky enough to buy. Will be in my collection and featured record at Tiffany's. 

As we are true to the term across the board Soul Venue. 

Erm... Its already been played at Tiffanies Dave..... Jordan played it the other week. 👍

Social source share

On 13/11/2022 at 20:20, Chalky said:

House Brothers is from 1979 and it sounds from that period as well, doesn't remotely sound like a modern recording.  The date is typed on the label and on an info label on the sleeve.  Fantastic record IMO.

What records from 1979 sound like it? 

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it but it just doesn't sound anything like what was being done in America in that era to me. 

Sounds more like a pastiche 'northern' record of the kind Ian Levine does. 

And then the lyrics 'cream of the crop' / 'reaching for the top' 'on the real side'....

I'm not convinced...

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, Joesoap said:

What records from 1979 sound like it? 

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it but it just doesn't sound anything like what was being done in America in that era to me. 

Sounds more like a pastiche 'northern' record of the kind Ian Levine does. 

And then the lyrics 'cream of the crop' / 'reaching for the top' 'on the real side'....

I'm not convinced...

I don't think this fits into the Ian category. Listening to it on a good Sound System doesn't have an artificial background which is signature to Ians work good as it is. 👍 I will be withholding the medication so am awake on release time and date. Good investment in my opinion. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/11/2022 at 00:26, Joesoap said:

Puts me in mind of 'eye of the tiger' with that chugging baseline. Have to say I agree it sounds like nothing typical I've heard from the era,79? I have my doubts tbh

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

On 18/11/2022 at 11:17, Soulfulmerlin said:

I don't think this fits into the Ian category. Listening to it on a good Sound System doesn't have an artificial background which is signature to Ians work good as it is. 👍 I will be withholding the medication so am awake on release time and date. Good investment in my opinion. 

To be clear I agree it's nowt like a Levine job. I like it regardless of its origins. 

Social source share

Re. House Bros, personally I love it, and 99.9% certain it's a pukka 1979 recording

The 'In the Navy' comment higher up is probably a good shout - sounds to me like it was probably aimed at the gay disco market, and production wise definitely like numerous other records of the same era - something like a cross between Alfie Davison 'Love is serious business' and maybe Idris Muhammad 'For your love'. Got a feel of Italo disco / early Italo house to it as well IMO - in fact wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Italian

Also can't see any Ian Levine involvement - while the lyrics are quite IL it doesn't have any of his musical fills and frills and awful synthesised brass like on say 'Wrong side of town' - always baffles me how anyone thought that was a 60's recording, though maybe famous last words having stuck my neck out on House Bros 🤣

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Re. House Bros, personally I love it, and 99.9% certain it's a pukka 1979 recording

The 'In the Navy' comment higher up is probably a good shout - sounds to me like it was probably aimed at the gay disco market, and production wise definitely like numerous other records of the same era - something like a cross between Alfie Davison 'Love is serious business' and maybe Idris Muhammad 'For your love'. Got a feel of Italo disco / early Italo house to it as well IMO - in fact wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Italian

Also can't see any Ian Levine involvement - while the lyrics are quite IL it doesn't have any of his musical fills and frills and awful synthesised brass like on say 'Wrong side of town' - always baffles me how anyone thought that was a 60's recording, though maybe famous last words having stuck my neck out on House Bros 🤣

5/17/79...the date that is typed on the label of the acetate and also the card sleeve the acetate was housed in.  There is absolutely nothing dodgy about it at all.  Like you say Chris, none of Levines style in the recording at all.  I dare say all the negativity comes from those who didn't get a copy?  

Sounds nothing like a rock record either as some intimate.

Personally I love it and have done from the first time I heard it at least a couple of years ago.  Be boring if we all liked the same.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

5/17/79...the date that is typed on the label of the acetate and also the card sleeve the acetate was housed in.  There is absolutely nothing dodgy about it at all.  Like you say Chris, none of Levines style in the recording at all.  I dare say all the negativity comes from those who didn't get a copy?  

Sounds nothing like a rock record either as some intimate.

Personally I love it and have done from the first time I heard it at least a couple of years ago.  Be boring if we all liked the same.

2 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Good call Chris, I said I wasn't typical of the time, but neither are the examples you cite.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

IMO the House Bros record does sound from 79, infact the Village people recorded a track in that year called 'I wanna shake your hand' almost identical backing track, the Gibson Bros had tracks of the Cuba LP which again have almost the same backing tracks, it's called europop not soul. It drove me mad back then, so the last thing I want to listen to is a soundalike in 2022 just because it's of acetate origin. If for argument sake it was infact on an old Gibson Bros LP ( which anyone with half an ear would agree it could have been) then it would get some serious stick from most soul fans on here. Having different taste is one thing, but this is bridge too far.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

12 hours ago, Still Diggin said:

IMO the House Bros record does sound from 79, infact the Village people recorded a track in that year called 'I wanna shake your hand' almost identical backing track, the Gibson Bros had tracks of the Cuba LP which again have almost the same backing tracks, it's called europop not soul. It drove me mad back then, so the last thing I want to listen to is a soundalike in 2022 just because it's of acetate origin. If for argument sake it was infact on an old Gibson Bros LP ( which anyone with half an ear would agree it could have been) then it would get some serious stick from most soul fans on here. Having different taste is one thing, but this is bridge too far.

Just listened to the village people track, seriously? Almost identical backing track? Gibson brothers, I'm pretty familiar when their stuff, ' oh what a life, probably the closest, but still way, way off the house brothers imho

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!