Tv - Must Watch Shows

Mike

Yellowstone S05 - great show all round, and this series is just as good, although a little rushed in terms of developing the multiple story arcs, I think. Perhaps that's because there are so many story arcs - there's a lot to get in. Very disappointed to learn that it was 'taking a break' after episode 8, and won't be back til later in the year.

1923 - good, but not as good as Yellowstone by a country mile. The heavy Irish and Scottish accents grate. 

Father Brown is back with season 10. Love everything about the show. Well, wasn't that keen on Bunty. No idea if she's in this series as haven't seen any episodes yet.

Midsomer Murders S23 - plotlines either becoming more extravagant or more stretched. Not sure which, but it's still good fun.

Billy the Kid was enjoyable, although it stretches credulity somewhat with its 'he's just a nice boy' approach.

Ancient Apocalypse - Graham Hancock gets a second bite of the TV cherry (remember his Quest for the Lost Civilisations in 1998?) to convince us of his theories. I like his theories - I read a number his books mid/late-90s - but think the short confines of a TV series, where there has to be some over-exaggerated sense of drama and suspense, don’t do him any favours. Still, I enjoyed this series enough to be working my way through it a second time.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Spelin
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Been watching Dead to Me on Netflix, not for everyone, female leads can be a tad irritating, bit too much ffing but a twist at the end of every episode that surprises you. Episodes only 30 mins long so quite easy to binge watch. 

Quite cleverly written how they manage a twist that keeps you watching. As with all these kinds of shows you do find yourself thinking would they really have done that and things are sometimes left unexplained,coincidence follows coincidence but it's an easy watch and quite entertaining. 

Documentary worth a watch again on Netflix, Where's My Jet about a guy who works out how to win a Harrier jet in a Pepsi promotion.

Edited by Twoshoes
Social source share

• 1 month later...

just finished a couple of series

The Last Of Us - never played the game, so the storyline was all new to me, well it started off great, but to me it then all sort of went downhill into a sort of old school western style plod, though the last epsiode was spot on

The Gold BBC - A most enjoyable series for us, maybe just a bit too many episodes, but would sat its a 4 and a half starrer

Upcoming highlights

Return of Ted Lasso, wife loves it, so it's a watch here, whats the members take on this?

Any more upcoming or running series to watch out for or give a go?

Social source share

It’s all about the Hancocks of late.

Most recently I’ve started to watch the news again. Watching the Covid narrative undeniably unravel daily has been interesting to say the least. Matt Hancock and WhatsApp is better than any fictional tv show. Technology showing us now what would have taken 40 years or more to come out a generation ago. 

On the same kind of theme, I concur re Graham Hancock’s extremely contentious Ancient Apocalypse series. Anyone who feels like you’ve never quite been given the truth re our past endeavours as a species or is generally open minded about history should watch this.  Compelling ideas backed up with much recently unearthed physical evidence has been ruffling many feathers. Had seen a lot of it like Gobekli Tepi as it was unfolding but still a lot was new to me. Fascinating. 

Hancock has been writing books mainly tagged as pseudo archeology by the mainstream since the 80s and brings an investigative journalistic approach to proceedings. They also make cracking doorstops once read. Graham not Matt, of course.

Finally, Tony via on demand.

3 Hancocks? That’s nearly a brain full. 

Thinking about having a go at Mr Inbetween. Any comments good or bad? 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Jnixon said:

Thinking about having a go at Mr Inbetween. Any comments good or bad? 

Mr Inbetween is brilliant.  Series 1 is the best, but because it so good, series 2 & 3 a little less so.

Episodes are only about 30 min, but leaving you wanting more, so you end up binge-watching.

the contract killer with a heart of gold with a best friend (Gary) a hapless degenerate 

loads of violence but not gratuitous.

Edited by Simon T
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Bafta 2023 awards announced

This is Going to Hurt and The Responder receive six nominations each

Bad Sisters, The Crown, The English and Slow Horses receive five nominations each

Am I Being Unreasonable?, Big Boys, Somewhere Boy and Top Boy receive four nominations each

Top Nominations

The Responder: Drama Series, Leading Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Music: Fiction and Writer Drama

This is Going to Hurt: Leading Actor, Mini Series, Director: Fiction, Editing: Fiction, Scripted Casting and Writer: Drama

Bad Sisters: Drama Series, Supporting Actress, Director: Fiction, Scripted Casting and Titles and Graphic Identity.

The Crown:  Leading Actress, Supporting Actor, Costume Design, Editing: Fiction and Sound: Fiction

The English: Leading Actor, Costume Design, Director: Fiction, Original Music: Fiction and Production Design.

Slow Horses: Leading Actor, Supporting Actor, Editing: Fiction, Original Music: Fiction and Sound: Fiction

Am I Being Unreasonable?: Female Performance in a Comedy Programme, Male Performance in a Comedy Programme, Scripted Comedy and Scripted Casting

Big Boys: Male Performance in a Comedy Programme, Scripted Comedy, Emerging Talent: Fiction and Writer: Comedy

Somewhere Boy: Drama Series, Supporting Actor, Emerging Talent: Fiction and Writer: Drama

Top Boy: Supporting Actress (2), Director: Fiction and Scripted Casting 

full details via

https://www.bafta.org/television/awards/bafta-television-2023-nominations

Top Boy and Bad Sisters - standouts for me

Whats the take out there  ?

Social source share

Only seen The English, Slow Horses, Peaky Blinders and Top Boy. Of those, Top Boy stands head and shoulders above the others and I'm very surprised neither Ashley Walters (Dushane) and Kano (Sully) have any nominations. Between them they're very much the driving forces of the series. Jas Jobson (Jaq) is absolutely a worthy nominee, but not convinced that Saffron Hocking (Lauryn) should be in the same company.

Slow Horses was excellent and very much an ensemble cast, so I don't hold with Gary Oldman's nomination for leading actor. The English, entertaining but ultimately not memorable.

Cillian Murphy has been outstanding in all seasons of Peaky Blinders, but the pair from Top Boy would get my vote – had they been nominated.

I had a look at the P&O Cruises Memorable Moments thing - six scenes already chosen for you. Vote for the one you liked best. That's rather narrow, and who determined that these six were the best out of all the 'moments' across the whole of last year? No thank, you. I wouldn't even bother to vote.

And in the International category, where's Yellowstone?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2023 at 14:08, Amsterdam Russ said:

Only seen The English, Slow Horses, Peaky Blinders and Top Boy. Of those, Top Boy stands head and shoulders above the others and I'm very surprised neither Ashley Walters (Dushane) and Kano (Sully) have any nominations. Between them they're very much the driving forces of the series. Jas Jobson (Jaq) is absolutely a worthy nominee, but not convinced that Saffron Hocking (Lauryn) should be in the same company.

Slow Horses was excellent and very much an ensemble cast, so I don't hold with Gary Oldman's nomination for leading actor. The English, entertaining but ultimately not memorable.

Cillian Murphy has been outstanding in all seasons of Peaky Blinders, but the pair from Top Boy would get my vote – had they been nominated.

I had a look at the P&O Cruises Memorable Moments thing - six scenes already chosen for you. Vote for the one you liked best. That's rather narrow, and who determined that these six were the best out of all the 'moments' across the whole of last year? No thank, you. I wouldn't even bother to vote.

And in the International category, where's Yellowstone?

back in September

enjoying so far 'The Diplomat' on Netflix, up to episode 2

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Source said:

back in September

enjoying so far 'The Diplomat' on Netflix, up to episode 2

Will look forward to that. Got season 1 of The Diplomat queued up to watch. Might even give that a start tonight.

Attempted to watch Succession recently. Lasted one and a half episodes before giving up on it. Jeez!

French mini series Infiniti was interesting and worth a look. 

Social source share

On 02/05/2023 at 19:09, Kenb said:

This should be interesting. Attica America’s Bloodiest Prison Uprising.

Tonight 2nd May (2023)

Not least because quite a bit of 'our' music came from this...Willie & West, Archie Shepp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001llf2

Thank you for highlighting this documentary, watched it this week on iPlayer , shocking but just shows what President Nixon was all about ,scumbag ,,,

Social source share

iPlayer BBC4, Cheltenham Soul & Jazz Festival, now showing, opening song "Take Me To The River " by Ashton Jones , not a half bad version of the Al Green classic , worthy of a look if your looking for a pick me up.

Edited by Happy Feet
Social source share

Finished watching The Diplomat. Rather mixed opinions about it, to be honest. Our lady diplomat is clumsy, socially inept, doesn't like public speaking, has a love-hate relationship with her husband, goes around looking like she buys her clothes at M&S, and perpetually needs to brush her hair - things that do not make her the ideal candidate as US ambassador at the Court of St James.

However, politically she's exceptionally effective, which is her saving grace.

While I like the political drama and intrigue, I'm not keen on just about everyone - herself and husband included - having relationship dramas. It seems the plot of the show runs from the political part to the relationship part and back again repeatedly throughout every episode. It's a poor person's Borgen. I give it 6/10.

That reminds me – not yet seen series 4 of Borgen. Must get on to that.

Social source share

The Netflix Luther film is a real disappointment compared with the series', which I thought were fabulous. You really have to suspend your belief as the story disappears into a James Bond/Bourne territory. A real shame, especially as the series creator Neil Cross is involved

Has anyone seen The Night Manager on Netflix? Is it worth watching?

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

The Netflix Luther film is a real disappointment compared with the series', which I thought were fabulous. You really have to suspend your belief as the story disappears into a James Bond/Bourne territory. A real shame, especially as the series creator Neil Cross is involved

The only good thing about it was that it should have killed off once and for all the ridiculous notion that Mr Elba would make a good successor to Mr Craig as you know who. 

The character that made Luther so watchable was Ruth Wilson's delightfully deranged Alice.

"Whitehouse Plumbers" is well worth watching.

Social source share

On 09/05/2023 at 11:22, Amsterdam Russ said:

Finished watching The Diplomat. Rather mixed opinions about it, to be honest. Our lady diplomat is clumsy, socially inept, doesn't like public speaking, has a love-hate relationship with her husband, goes around looking like she buys her clothes at M&S, and perpetually needs to brush her hair - things that do not make her the ideal candidate as US ambassador at the Court of St James.

However, politically she's exceptionally effective, which is her saving grace.

While I like the political drama and intrigue, I'm not keen on just about everyone - herself and husband included - having relationship dramas. It seems the plot of the show runs from the political part to the relationship part and back again repeatedly throughout every episode. It's a poor person's Borgen. I give it 6/10.

That reminds me – not yet seen series 4 of Borgen. Must get on to that.

half way thru, yeah the 'relationship' bit grates a bit, and has lead to some hard to believe scenes , as in the fight and kidnapping ones, enjoying the rest as in  'the political drama and intrigue', I'd give it a 8/10

On 10/05/2023 at 12:43, Soulfusion said:

Night Manager was much acclaimed when first shown on the BBC, I'd say it's good enough to at least give it a go

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland - the 5 episodes are in BBC Iplayer

I found this a definite 'must watch'

they say don't talk about religion and politics which is what this about, but then again it isn't, it's about the people living through the times of 'The Troubles' Probably better explained here:

https://connect.open.ac.uk/history-and-the-arts/once-upon-a-time-in-northern-ireland

"Contains scenes that some people may find upsetting"

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Just binged on all  'Mr Inbetween' series last week, maybe a bit late to the party on that one

'Succession' has improved over the last few episodes imo, the improvement seemed to coincide with switching the subtitles on, have a theory about that, looking forward to the final episode

Enjoying 'The Bear', one episode left to do

Social source share

On 25/05/2023 at 12:49, Simon T said:

Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland - the 5 episodes are in BBC Iplayer

I found this a definite 'must watch'

they say don't talk about religion and politics which is what this about, but then again it isn't, it's about the people living through the times of 'The Troubles' Probably better explained here:

https://connect.open.ac.uk/history-and-the-arts/once-upon-a-time-in-northern-ireland

"Contains scenes that some people may find upsetting"

Spoke to a mate about this show at the weekend. He is a British domiciled Irishman from Belfast who served in the British Army who put his papers in about six months before the first Iraq war. Was "rewarded" with a tour of Northern Ireland to finish his service. He said the show brought back vivid memories due to its accuracy; moving him to tears because of those memories.

Social source share

23 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Shane Meadow's latest offering "The Gallows Pole" started tonight on BBC 2 , looks a good'un ... :yes:

And it's got a cracking theme tune too ... :wink:

ok caught episode 1, think need to see how episode 2  pans out 

anyone seen the second one yet?

Social source share

Seen all three. Acting doesn't improve, waited for Stephen Graham to come and save the day., unfortunately he did not make an appearance. 3/10 in respect of 'dead man's shoes' Next Wednesday at 9, turn over to ITV and watch the first episode of Manhunt !

Social source share

On 02/06/2023 at 08:20, Source said:

The Bear Season 2

Enjoyed the first season, to me the show got better and better as it progressed

Next season due to start at the end of this month

s

This one slipped by me unnoticed ... thanks for the post , just started S1 ... pretty much "Kitchen Confidential" and a pretty realistic interpretation of life backstage of a restaurant ... 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if covered yrs. ago although it does have 2021 on the release date , 

THEY ALL CAME TO MONTREUX  , currently on the BBC iPlayer channel 4 , 

A 3 part story of the extraordinary world- famous Jazz Festival, and it's beloved founder Claude Nobs .

Watched all 3 episodes last night lots of artists that we all know and love , and wait until the part when they show Claude's record collection , well worth a viewing alone , let alone the Festival.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Apologies if covered yrs. ago although it does have 2021 on the release date , 

THEY ALL CAME TO MONTREUX  , currently on the BBC iPlayer channel 4 , 

A 3 part story of the extraordinary world- famous Jazz Festival, and it's beloved founder Claude Nobs .

Watched all 3 episodes last night lots of artists that we all know and love , and wait until the part when they show Claude's record collection , well worth a viewing alone , let alone the Festival.

Yes fantastic documentary, watched some of it last Fri - Aretha, Nina Simone, etc - absolutely awesome and some of the best live clips I’ve seen 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Yes fantastic documentary, watched some of it last Fri - Aretha, Nina Simone, etc - absolutely awesome and some of the best live clips I’ve seen 

I'm not going to spoil it for you but I believe all the footage also came from Claude's collection , has to be seen to be believed ,,,,,

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

"Escape at Dannemora" starring Benicio Del Toro, Patricia Arquetta & Paul Dano

Directed by Ben Stiller but definitely not a comedy, It was broadcast in 2018 and well worth seeking out.

Italian crime drama from 2019 "ZeroZeroZero", Gabriel Byrne is the most recognisable actor in it. The action follows a consignment of cocaine from Mexico to Italy and all of the violence that comes with it.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Just started on the long awaited new adventures of Raylan Givens in "Justified : City Primeval" and well worth the wait it was too ... :thumbsup:

And the soundtrack has some very nice unexpected treats running through it  ... https://www.tune-list.com/justified-city-primeval-soundtrack-music/#music_episode1

Already got that on my "want to watch" list. 

41 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Escape at Dannemora

Not heard of that before, but anything with Benicio Del Toro in it has got to have potential. Will look out for it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!