Anderson Brothers another EvilBay auction OG scam ?

Tlscapital
Go to solution Solved by Psamsara,

Looking not right to me on 'close' inspection. Looks like it's the styrene bootleg. Have written twice to the seller asking if it was styrene and to provide photos of the matrix for the auction but got no answer yet. Have written him again asking him to confirm before tomorrow noon or else I'll have to report as he states that this is an OG copy that has all the right 'markings' (his own terms)... Bids are evidently HOT stacking up fast as he's offering other soul 'raries' that all seem legit. The perfect fool's trap. What do you think ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375118161070

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Any doubt leave it out  - better safe than sorry. Any seller that does not provide provenance on a big ticket item has got to be treated as suspect. 

Not for me I have mine. For the sake of it. Somehow I even believe that this is the same seller who years ago did the same and after few PM's withdrew his auction... If such is the case it makes this auction even more vicious.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Seller listed as in Spain but business address quoted as Germany, uses a daft email address, uses two styles of photographic backgrounds and as Benji says, provides matrix scan for a less expensive record but not fir the item under discussion. Draw your own conclusions...

Baring a Greek name (or pseudo). Bids are adding up. Wonder when or if I'll hear from the eVilBay people as this should provide them with a decent fee...

1 minute ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Looking down at some of his other listed records they all look like they've been photographed on a wooden table.

Even the Anderson Brothers one, so no difference there. 

Whether it's an original or not I have no idea but I do remember the old Nottingham pressings had a sunken centre hole and this one seems pretty flat..

This is the styrene bootleg. So it's normal there.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Baring a Greek name (or pseudo). Bids are adding up. Wonder when or if I'll hear from the eVilBay people as this should provide them with a decent fee...

This is the styrene bootleg. So it's normal there.

I just made an observation that the records were photographed on a wooden table.

I'll take your word that it's the styrene bootleg.

Social source share

Don’t know about the Anderson bros,but the carol and gerri, just think if I knew I was selling to the northern soul crowd (the most likely to buy it) I would take pics of the whole record showing both sides to offer a level of confidence,no excuse in this tech age!

in his defence his feedback is impressive? Shame if it turns out to be a bunch of scam records!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I've been burnt (a few times!), I'm sure most of us have to one extent or another. Let's be honest, this Rare NS collecting compared to other forms of collecting ie art/antiques etc is a tiny niche market.

I can't comment on its authenticity at all, no way qualified. Therefore "if" i wanted a record and i was going to have to shell out whatever this one goes for (presuming 1K +?), then personally i would have to be absolutely 100% convinced it was "right" If i wasn't or i hadn't done my homework, I'm sorry but in my opinion then you literally have money to burn and more fool the buyer. 

BTW not for a millisecond condoning this sort of scam (if it's a scam) 

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

PS Not eating my words but I do agree on an item like that, where are the pics of matrix run outs/vinyl etc? - if i knew it was "right" I'd be uploading a good few more than 2 pics!.

Mix of medium 'rare' original soul records showing a run-out matrix photo of the Detroit Soul 'all of my life' for example (to show it's OG authenticity) and not answering my quest if ever I was a potential bidder a first time (rather leaving me in doubt...). Strange no ? I mean why do it for the Detroit Soul and not the Anderson Brothers ?

Greek seller shipping from Spain with his HQ address in Germany. Now his 'vicious' bits ; claiming authentic OG pressing with 'all the correct markings'. Record in an original company sleeve. Believe this seller did it before using this whole 'vicious' technique for another copy of the Anderson Brothers years ago... Meaning he's a recidivist.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Mix of medium 'rare' original soul records showing a run-out matrix photo of the Detroit Soul 'all of my life' for example (to show it's OG authenticity) and not answering my quest if ever I was a potential bidder a first time (rather leaving me in doubt...). Strange no ? I mean why do it for the Detroit Soul and not the Anderson Brothers ?

Greek seller shipping from Spain with his HQ address in Germany. Now his 'vicious' bits ; claiming authentic OG pressing with 'all the correct markings'. Record in an original company sleeve. Believe this seller did it before using this whole 'vicious' technique for another copy of the Anderson Brothers years ago... Meaning he's a recidivist.

Jesus not used a dictionary for years but had me thumbing for recidivist !!! Ffs 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Wheelsville1 said:

This stunt was being pulled back in the 70s when bootlegers were getting Gfs sleeves and putting dodgey pressings in them, the same happend with The Yum Yums.

Not saying otherwise. A common practice here in Belgium was to put the first good looking and sounding but vinyl promo press of Sam Fletcher on Tollie into the pink promotional sleeve. But that was the crook business of back then as you say. This is now and this guy knows his gear and most likely did that intentionally. For all of us to see.

Social source share

Yep, same guy who was flogging the Charmels 'Ive done it again' on Volt! a few years back, with the release number convienently crossed out, because the type face used for this boot is from a release three years previous and had not been recorded at that point in time. 

Edited by Still Diggin
Social source share

Hi All 

I sent another mesage today telling him that if he did not reply I would ask ebay to ban him and (which I have already done) I just recieved this message:

Hello Paul,
sorry for couldnt get back to you earlier but we do not work sundays.
We will send you pics of the matrix tomorrow once we get to the warehouse.
We wont be in today.
We've been selling on ebay for over 15 years and if for any reason is a mistake from our end we always fix it.
regards
Tom/FreestyleManiac-Records

Lets see what happens

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 18/12/2023 at 11:42, Okehdownsouth said:

Hi All 

I sent another mesage today telling him that if he did not reply I would ask ebay to ban him and (which I have already done) I just recieved this message:

Hello Paul,
sorry for couldnt get back to you earlier but we do not work sundays.
We will send you pics of the matrix tomorrow once we get to the warehouse.
We wont be in today.
We've been selling on ebay for over 15 years and if for any reason is a mistake from our end we always fix it.
regards

Lets see what happens

Please let us know the guy sends you the pics (today ?). On the other end Miste Fix-it LATER or AFTER would do better to post them pics on his auction window. FWIW I got no reply from that thief.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Okehdownsouth said:

Hi All

These are the crappy pictures that he sent to me. I have issued another complaint to ebay, hopefull they will act but I urge more of you to log on and report this seller because that is the only way we will stop these scammers.

Thanks for that. Have also reported it now to the eVilBay 'watchdogs' for being the bootleg infringing on artist's copyrights.

First time I did report it for wrong item description / listing in regard of its authenticity. Not got an answer from either party.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Funnily enough, personally record does nothing for me LOL but in the interests of preventing scammers i sent a message asking where it came from.

Reply was "We brought recently a radio stations old stock and its 100% genuine as a radio station wouldn't have bad records it's the real deal".

Seller hasn't put on a facility on to publicly "post" questions/answers.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Funnily enough, personally record does nothing for me LOL but in the interests of preventing scammers i sent a message asking where it came from.

Reply was "We brought recently a radio stations old stock and its 100% genuine as a radio station wouldn't have bad records it's the real deal".

Ignore above, copied/pasted original below/asked for matrix scan also

Hi
we will check on this early next week when we get back to the warehouse.
This record came from an old radio station collection from the US we bought recently so we doubt this is any kind of a reissue or recent pressing.

best

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

That's exactly the same crap story he gave us years ago with the first copy that I saw (where there others) he auctioned that very same way. 

Social source share

This is the 1978 DJ Counterfeit (L.A.)
Why don't you ask him about the delta number he didn't include .... 

What I just don't understand is that there are at least 15 people from a certain forum who have a clue and deeply doubt this. It's not as if it's being pointed out in a friendly way
Reasons have been given and so on. He keep on lying. 
But what really drives me crazy is that people continue to "babble", that there is absolutely no insight to provide the necessary information to keep this "German-Spanish-Greek sausage/paella/gyros snack bar" going. Unbelievable! 

I wouldn't take the record out of the sleeve either, you coward.

1 - Why isn't a scan of the second side shown?
The OG has a MONO and STEREO side.

2 - Only styrene looks like this

3 - correct matrix is: 
MONO side (etched): GFFS m1179
STEREO side (etched): GFFS S 1179

4 - On the OG, the credit (right) is "Arr. & Cond. by Joe Renzetti"
is provided with a paragraph/an empty line has been inserted.

It's just a shame that this record is already priced at $240.50 ...

Zanetti

Social source share

I know nothing about this record being "right/"wrong", but you guys do so i reported it to ebay a few hours ago.

I HATE to think a generous partners buying it for his/her other half for a Christmas present! - That'll be two very unhappy people.

Anybody selling a record of that importance knows what it is.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

This is the 1978 DJ Counterfeit (L.A.)
Why don't you ask him about the delta number he didn't include .... 

What I just don't understand is that there are at least 15 people from a certain forum who have a clue and deeply doubt this. It's not as if it's being pointed out in a friendly way
Reasons have been given and so on. He keep on lying. 
But what really drives me crazy is that people continue to "babble", that there is absolutely no insight to provide the necessary information to keep this "German-Spanish-Greek sausage/paella/gyros snack bar" going. Unbelievable! 

I wouldn't take the record out of the sleeve either, you coward.

1 - Why isn't a scan of the second side shown?
The OG has a MONO and STEREO side.

2 - Only styrene looks like this

3 - correct matrix is: 
MONO side (etched): GFFS m1179
STEREO side (etched): GFFS S 1179

4 - On the OG, the credit (right) is "Arr. & Cond. by Joe Renzetti"
is provided with a paragraph/an empty line has been inserted.

It's just a shame that this record is already priced at $240.50 ...

Zanetti

We did ask him. I asked him twice and got no reply. Member on here Okehdownsouth had more luck. So now we know of at least four 'reports' that have been posted to the eVilBay and as we expect they won't take action not to lose their fee on the auction ending in an hour. If memory serves me well the last time we caught him doing that he got almost €800 for the copy... Reports were also provided to the eVilBay back then. 

Social source share

This guy has a long history of complaints against him. Check out the Vinyl Vigilante group on Facebook for many, many examples. He ripped off a good friend of mine for a multi-thousand-dollar record recently that he probably never had a copy of. His MO seems to be to pump up his positive feedback with cheapish sales, then lower the boom on the occasional unsuspecting victim by selling a big-ticket item that doesn't exist.

Social source share

I think the worst thing would be if the winner thought he had made the mega-deal with the original ... It turns out in years when he wants to sell the record again, the new prospective buyer would like to have all the matrix ... Then he'll probably bite his ass off.

But let's be honest, he should already be feeling queasy now because of the minimal amount ...

Social source share

If I had this bootleg home I would put it up on the eVilBay as a 'buy it now' at $200 with references to the to the just won auctioned one that sold for $460 described as a real one but in real that is only a 1976 re-issue hoping to make the buzz to reach maybe the buyer who could still upon reception of the item file in for a refund.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!