Most Valuable 45 Rpm Record

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

I never noticed when the question was originally posed but today's Daily Mail has an answer to the question "What is believed to be the most valuable 45rpm record?"

The reply comes from the editor of Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide and reads as follows:

AS 2007 sees the 30th anniversary of the Sex Pistols' most controver­sial year, it is apt that they also hold the distinction of recording the rarest 45rpm single.

After being dumped by the EMI label dueto their appearance on the Today programme on December 1, 1976, where they swore at TV presenter Bill Grundy, the band signed-to A&M. This label intended to release their second single God Save The Queen/ No Feelings (AMS 7284) in March 1977.

Due to the band's uncouth behaviour at the record company's offices and an apparent assault of DJ Bob Harris at a West End bar by Sid Vicious, they were dropped by A&M ten days after-iIikihg the deal outside Buckingham Palace.

The A&M record of God Save The Queen was withdrawn from release. Most copies were destroy­ed, but a small number survived and have since fetched high prices.

Although a mint copy (condition should be brand-new with no surface marks) is valued by the Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide 2008 at more than £7,500, earlier this year one sold on eBay for £12,675.

God Save The Queen/Did You No. Wrong-was finally released by Virgin Records in June 1977. It was kept from the No One..spot by Rod Stewart's I Don't Want To Talk About.

No mention of the iconic £15000 paid for "Do I Love You"!!

Just wondered if one of you knowledgeable guys fancy writing in and redressing the balance. They are pretty good at printing follow-up letters. Any dealer - you might get your business mentioned - that's got to be worth a few minutes to cobble together an email.

Alternatively EVERYONE could email - the sub-editor would wonder what hit him.

Anyway for anyone who "IS BOVERED" - the address is charles.legge@dailymail.co.uk

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

• Replies 92
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest MBarrett

Love the idea of loads of members blitzing the guy - his mouth dropping open as he sees his Inbox filling up..

Come on - how many seconds can it take to put:

What is believed to be the most valuable 45rpm record? in the subject

Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Frank Wilson - Soul - £15000 in the body

and press Send.

Anyone who wants to go into more detail can do so - maybe a nice bit of P.R. for the Northern Soul scene at the same time!!

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I never noticed when the question was originally posed but today's Daily Mail has an answer to the question "What is believed to be the most valuable 45rpm record?"

The reply comes from the editor of Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide and reads as follows:

Just wondered if one of you knowledgeable guys fancy writing in and redressing the balance. They are pretty good at printing follow-up letters. Any dealer - you might get your business mentioned - that's got to be worth a few minutes to cobble together an email.

Anyway for anyone who "IS BOVERED" - the address is charles.legge@dailymail.co.uk

MB

I notice there's no mention of the fact that the Japanese (I think) A&M release of this WASN'T withdrawn and are often sold as UK ones (think a few people have been caught out by this on eBay)

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

As its the daily Mail we should get someone suitably leftie to write in. Matt? Rich? :thumbsup:

I have asked the question - would such an obscure black American artisit have been as much interest to your readers?

Social source share

Guest moggy

Although the Pistols is a rare record, and even at £7500, there must surley be an Elvis or Beatles 7" record thats fetched above that, around 15 tears ago in record collector someone had written in requesting a valuation on a John Lennon acetate, cannot remember the title, but record colletor told him to put it up for auction at one of the big London auctioneers, and estimated the opening bid to be £5000 or are we talking strictly vinyl that was released, as the Pistols if iam correct was released & very quickly withdrawn. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Yep - that's mine gone.

This will teach him - writing for a fascist rag!

:angry:

Whilst no fan of the Mail is this really appropriate behaviour? Harassing some complete stranger with repetitive emails, the contents of which he probably doesn't give a monkey's about?

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Whilst no fan of the Mail is this really appropriate behaviour? Harassing some complete stranger with repetitive emails, the contents of which he probably doesn't give a monkey's about?

Hmmmmm - Journalists / Harrasment? I don't think it'll do any damage.

Social source share

I notice there's no mention of the fact that the Japanese (I think) A&M release of this WASN'T withdrawn and are often sold as UK ones (think a few people have been caught out by this on eBay)

Not japanese - these would be large centre and also I think it was on Warner bros in japan

Social source share

I don't see that it's harassing anybody Stuart. It's simply pointing out what many people on here believe to be an error - on his/the papers fault. There's nothing wrong in pointing that out. Like everyone else I receive hundreds of unsolicited emails - at least these have been solicited in a fashion by printing something that is inaccurate. As a journalist I'm sure he would want to get his facts right. If he doesn't like them or give a monkey all he has to do is hit "select all and delete".

Yes we're - I, are having a little fun into the bargain.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Not japanese - these would be large centre and also I think it was on Warner bros in japan

Oh well, my mistake - I'm sure there's an A&M one from abroad somewhere that wasn't withdrawn and was a few years ago sold on eBay for around £3,000 as the withdrawn UK one - unless I dreamt it of course, which is possible

Social source share

As well as Elvis & Beatles ultra rarities I'm sure there are 45's sought after by the U.S. "Doo Wop" collecting fraternity that must have eclipsed the £15,000 mark. Having said that, the "Frank Wilson" transaction must be the highest anybody's paid for a record to D.J. with!!

DES PARKER

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

As its the daily Mail we should get someone suitably leftie to write in. Matt? Rich? :D

Hey i thought i'd buried my leftie credentials?

Botheration! :angry:

Anyway back the garden.... er marking and planning :thumbsup:

I bet there are a few more worth more than 12k these days.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Harassing some complete stranger with repetitive emails, the contents of which he probably doesn't give a monkey's about?

Stuart - I only meant good P.R. to come out of this for the Northern Soul scene so if there is the slightest risk of it going the other way best call a halt to any more replies.

But just to be sure you understand how it works - the Daily Mail has a section called Answers to Correspondents. A reader has written in with this question which was printed in the paper (still surprised I didn't see it when it was first printed as I would definitely have flagged it up here.) Then that guy from Record Collector has written and his reply has been printed. The email I posted here is for the sub editor at the DM who decides what questions and what answers get printed.

Having said that there is no point in upsetting the guy as that may reduce the likelihood he will give the Frank Wilson info. an airing.

I am still inclined to scan the bit of spiel about the record from Kev Roberts book and send that in.

But then O.K. - I think he will have got the message so can make his decision whether to print or no. Hope it's in the affirmative.

I will edit the email address out of my earlier post.

MB

Social source share

They were made in Japan, but they are bootlegs/repros not an official release. Apparently the guy who made them actually stamped the fitst couple of hundred with a number in red ink on the label as a 'limited edition' so they wouldn't be sold on as real ones but then more became available with clean labels.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

MB

Ah yes, but is £15,000 the correct value for Frank Wilson ? I was always under the impression (gained from Ken Burrell) that there was more than one record involved in the £15,000 deal.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Dave

I suppose I am just going from Kev Roberts' book.

He gives quite a bit of info. about the 2 known copies - including a Dateline.

It states unambiguously:

1999 Scottish DJ and collector Kenny Burrell actually does purchase the only other known copy for the princely sum of £15000 from Martin Koppell through Tim Brown.

Mmmmmmmm!!! Is that information questionable??

MB

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

P.S. Of course I don't have the facility to edit out the email address from all the posts it is now duped in.

Could one of the mods take care of that for me please?????

Just replace it with *************'s

As I said don't want something that was meant to be a positive to turn negative.

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Hey i thought i'd buried my leftie credentials?

Botheration! :angry:

Anyway back the garden.... er marking and planning :thumbsup:

I bet there are a few more worth more than 12k these days.

I hear someones just payed £13000 For a copy of THE MASQUARADERS c/u :D

Social source share

It's also a fact that Record Collector usually don't include Northern prices when doing articles.

A while back a feature on the 60's didn't even mention any soul records. Are they frightened or inadequate when it comes to this genre?

They do include Northern etc on their ebay watch bit so at least they are aware of the situation.

No doubt we'll see a most valuable soul record feature soon!

Social source share

Sweeeeeet!

I was having a bit of a boring day - this could be loads of fun!

:D

Mines gone too :thumbsup::D Pointed out that he should do an article on the record and its history with the "Northern Soul" clubs :D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest rachel

Ah yes, but is £15,000 the correct value for Frank Wilson ? I was always under the impression (gained from Ken Burrell) that there was more than one record involved in the £15,000 deal.

Yep sure you're right there Dave.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

They were made in Japan, but they are bootlegs/repros not an official release. Apparently the guy who made them actually stamped the fitst couple of hundred with a number in red ink on the label as a 'limited edition' so they wouldn't be sold on as real ones but then more became available with clean labels.

aha - mystery solved (thank God I was beginning to think I'd dreamt it all up)

Social source share

Dave

I suppose I am just going from Kev Roberts' book.

He gives quite a bit of info. about the 2 known copies - including a Dateline.

It states unambiguously:

1999 Scottish DJ and collector Kenny Burrell actually does purchase the only other known copy for the princely sum of £15000 from Martin Koppell through Tim Brown.

Mmmmmmmm!!! Is that information questionable??

MB

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aren't most things in the famous 5 (00) book

contact the people with quotes attached to their names.

(sorry I know this has been gone over previously but it gets my goat)

Social source share

Great thats all we need, another ill atempt media coverage given to the world with the likes of frank wilson as the 'holy grail' rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Yes you're right Dave, I believe there was a bunch of records involved

Social source share

Slightly off topic.

One of the guys at work told me he saw an article in the Daily Record. Re:Frank Wilson/ Kenny Burrell. Can any of the Scottish guys on site scan it. He thought it was a fairly recent article.

Back on topic.

Isn't the worlds rarest record The Quarrymen acetate. Think McCartney owns it (or maybe only half of it by now wicked.gif ).

Second Rarest records - the copies he made for his mates to celebrate something or other.

Social source share

Isn't the worlds rarest record The Quarrymen acetate. Think McCartney owns it (or maybe only half of it by now wicked.gif ).

Second Rarest records - the copies he made for his mates to celebrate something or other.

Yes - it has been said that it is. Macca bought it off John Duff Lowe (another member of the Quarrymen) about 15 years ago for an "undisclosed sum". Probably wouldn't fit into this category though - it's a 10" 78 RPM acetate.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Slightly off topic.

One of the guys at work told me he saw an article in the Daily Record. Re:Frank Wilson/ Kenny Burrell. Can any of the Scottish guys on site scan it. He thought it was a fairly recent article.

I saw Kenny on a Scottish antiques programme a while ago with the Frank Wilson as well. Maybe the clip is on YouTube? unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Yes - it has been said that it is. Macca bought it off John Duff Lowe (another member of the Quarrymen) about 15 years ago for an "undisclosed sum". Probably wouldn't fit into this category though - it's a 10" 78 RPM acetate.

I read that Macca had around 2 dozen replica 78s made and a similar number of 7" vinyl replicas made to give to family and friends (so those replicas would)

Social source share

Guest Kill_a_pig

Maybe the Mail was writing about UK released singles only, as I can not believe that they would not research the fact that there are several records released in other countries that are worth considerably more than the Sex Pistols track.

Social source share

Maybe the Mail was writing about UK released singles only, as I can not believe that they would not research the fact that there are several records released in other countries that are worth considerably more than the Sex Pistols track.

I think the record is $170,000 (£80,000) for a US acetate. Cannot remember off the top of me 'ed who it was now, but it was someone like Dylan

Social source share

MB

There are some proffesions and some organisations I wouldn't mind having my email address but can't think of a worse combination than a Journalist and the Daily Mail. whistling.gif

Social source share

I think the record is $170,000 (£80,000) for a US acetate. Cannot remember off the top of me 'ed who it was now, but it was someone like Dylan

Hi Steve

It was an acetate of the 1st Velvet Underground lp totally different mix to the release. Found at a garage sale.

Derek

Social source share

£15K for a Frank Wilson's gotta be cheap when you consider what Gene Toones made on ebay a couple of years ago whistling.gif

Most of those bids were from soul sourcers. Bloke was a chancer, record was a boot, so we decided to bid silly.. :no:

I saw Kenny on a Scottish antiques programme a while ago with the Frank Wilson as well. Maybe the clip is on YouTube? :thumbsup:

It is. Shane posted it on here a while back. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert