• Replies 50
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest the dukester

This was an unreleased track. I don't know who "discovered" it but I think it appeared for the first time on the CD "Lost and found: love starved heart" from 1999.

Was released on a Chris King Pinkie which everyone seems to have.

Also........

Rare One......... Picture Sleeve copy on Johns Auction as we speak

Social source share

Was released on a Chris King Pinkie which everyone seems to have.

Also........

Rare One......... Picture Sleeve copy on Johns Auction as we speak

I knew about the Chris King one, but didn't actually realise that it had got a US release in 1995. I thought that the CD from 1999 was the first time it had been officially released.

You live and learn!

Social source share

It was a promotional single to publicise the "Lost and found" CD never issued but apparently given away to the guests on the night,rumoured to be between 250 and 500 copies with most left stomped on the dance floor.

Strange one to price though, I paid £160.00 for 1 copy in 1995 (ish) and then £85.00 for a 2nd which I sold on and recently sold my 1st copy

to a guy in Australia for £200.00 (ish) it seems to rise and fall as per dancefloor popularity,ive seen it for as little as £35.00

Steve

:thumbup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

First heard it mid 80s at Trotters in Mansfield. Probably Rob Marriott but I cant be sure - my memory's not what it used to be :thumbup:

Can anyone remember two shall we say "unofficial" LP's that had all the unreleaased motown stuff on them around the same time? I think this love starved heart was on one of them.

Great tune by the way, must be in the top 5 motown tracks for me.

Social source share

I've just realised that the 1999 CD was an expanded edition of the original CD issued in 1994.

Are there many instances of Motown putting out unreleased stuff on CD's and also on vinyl?

Part of a 4 cd set.

Social source share

First heard it mid 80s at Trotters in Mansfield. Probably Rob Marriott but I cant be sure - my memory's not what it used to be :thumbup:

Can anyone remember two shall we say "unofficial" LP's that had all the unreleaased motown stuff on them around the same time? I think this love starved heart was on one of them.

Great tune by the way, must be in the top 5 motown tracks for me.

do you mean the album that rob and chris marriott did? i'm only aware of volume 1, it says on the inlay vol.2 due to come out soon but it never happened, did it?

on-topic: "love starved heart" is not on volume 1, "lonely lover" is the marvin gaye track on it

Social source share

It was a promotional single to publicise the "Lost and found" CD never issued but apparently given away to the guests on the night,rumoured to be between 250 and 500 copies with most left stomped on the dance floor.

Strange one to price though, I paid £160.00 for 1 copy in 1995 (ish) and then £85.00 for a 2nd which I sold on and recently sold my 1st copy

to a guy in Australia for £200.00 (ish) it seems to rise and fall as per dancefloor popularity,ive seen it for as little as £35.00

Steve

wink.gif

i cant remember, but it was 400 or 500 made, no less. and as you say quite a few were binned at the convention.

Great, great tune

Social source share

do you mean the album that rob and chris marriott did? i'm only aware of volume 1, it says on the inlay vol.2 due to come out soon but it never happened, did it?

on-topic: "love starved heart" is not on volume 1, "lonely lover" is the marvin gaye track on it

Thats the one mate, could have sworn there was a second one but time & memory could be playing tricks on me. God, getting old is a terrible thing mellow.gif

Social source share

one of my current faves,

a great dancer

got a 7" recently off gemm.com

was never released as a single as far as i'm aware so must be some kind of repressing

Social source share

Out of interest which one is ok to dj with? the pic cover? the chris kings?

L

huh.gif Hi all , Everyone was given a FREE pinky motownish looking one at the Bretby all-niter, years ago ?? late 80,s i think ? which is where i got mine, anyway, nice tune.. would,nt go mad about it through... Play out any of them, it,s the sound , not the plastic, when dancing to it... etc, cheers martyn
Social source share

Guest stash313

Not the question to be fair lads, i know its a great tune!

Lets re-word the question, if i was playing a club that has a policy of original vinyl only (The way it should be :thumbsup: ) would it be ok to play either??

Dont want a big OVO debate pls...

See you all at Blackpool thumbup.gif

Either bring your own CD player or if you don't want to cause mass heart failure either would be acceptable, Chris King officially licensed his copy and the tamla one is again an official release.

See you at blackpool

Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi all , Everyone was given a FREE pinky motownish looking one at the Bretby all-niter, years ago ?? late 80,s i think ? which is where i got mine, anyway, nice tune.. would,nt go mad about it through... Play out any of them, it,s the sound , not the plastic, when dancing to it... etc, cheers martyn

1996 it was Martyn. It was Chris's 40th birthday allnighter and what a cracker it was. I had two of them but swopped one for a CD on the night frusty2.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i'm sure i heard it was released on a german music for pleasure album in '74 ish

It was certainly around as early as the mid 70s, on the same bootleg C90 that also had things like Gladys Knight "Too Late For You & Me", the Temptations' "Angel Doll", The Originals' "Suspicion", Kim Weston' "Absent Minded Lover", Martha & the Vandellas' "Spellbound" and loads more equally good things - almost all speeded up a bit. It was from these cassettes that the acetates of "Suspicion" etc. were made.

I was given my cassette in 1976. Still have it somewhere, too...

I think you may be confusing your MFP albums with the Isley Brothers one that has "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)" on it, Davie son. But I've already contradicted you enough for one week, I think, so I'll leave it at that... :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

It was certainly around as early as the mid 70s, on the same bootleg C90 that also had things like Gladys Knight "Too Late For You & Me", the Temptations' "Angel Doll", The Originals' "Suspicion", Kim Weston' "Absent Minded Lover", Martha & the Vandellas' "Spellbound" and loads more equally good things - almost all speeded up a bit. It was from these cassettes that the acetates of "Suspicion" etc. were made.

I think you may be confusing your MFP albums with the Isley Brothers one that has "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)" on it, Davie son. But I've already contradicted you enough for one week, I think, so I'll leave it at that... :lol::lol::lol:

i've never been guilty of confusing the isley brothers with marvin gaye , if i could be arsed i'd research it but honestly i can't

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i've never been guilty of confusing the isley brothers with marvin gaye , if i could be arsed i'd research it but honestly i can't

...I hear that a bevy of heavy will do that to a man...

Actually someone else has mentioned this German MFP to me in the past, but I looked at them and said "Tell Me It's Just A Rumour, Baby",. Maybe that's where the Isleys/Marvin confusion lies...

...I'll go and have a lie down now, I think...

Social source share

1970's!!!!!Well Tone that's news to me!!! Do you mean mid-80's and 1986.

As far as I am aware this track and the others Tone mentions were rejects from the first "From the Vaults.." '79 compilation. A mate in LA assisted on it with Tom de Pierrio and he'd taped a lot of the tracks for reference. I was over there in'81 in his flat when he put the tape on and "Forever in my heart" ["Come on back to me baby"] boomed out.

Got a copy of the tape and brought it back to UK where Dave Withers and I had acetates cut and played them first at Stafford.As for this "speeding" up of tracks I can only assume that whatever my mate used to record the tracks or whatever he recorded them from was somehow faulty and that's how they came out. Sounded fine to me as I had nothing to compare them to.

Marvin we did cover as JJ Barnes "It's killing me".

ROD

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

i'm sure i heard it was released on a german music for pleasure album in '74 ish

There was a rumour circulating round Scotland around the end of the 90s that Love Starved Heart did get a release on a German re-issue LP sometime around the mid-70s. A Motown completist who used to live in Dundee (moved to Glasgow) is "supposed" to have had a copy. I've certainly never seen a copy, however, the rumour still persists up here.

Ali

Social source share

Guest uroffal

1970's!!!!!Well Tone that's news to me!!! Do you mean mid-80's and 1986.

As far as I am aware this track and the others Tone mentions were rejects from the first "From the Vaults.." '79 compilation. A mate in LA assisted on it with Tom de Pierrio and he'd taped a lot of the tracks for reference. I was over there in'81 in his flat when he put the tape on and "Forever in my heart" ["Come on back to me baby"] boomed out.

Got a copy of the tape and brought it back to UK where Dave Withers and I had acetates cut and played them first at Stafford.As for this "speeding" up of tracks I can only assume that whatever my mate used to record the tracks or whatever he recorded them from was somehow faulty and that's how they came out. Sounded fine to me as I had nothing to compare them to.

Marvin we did cover as JJ Barnes "It's killing me".

ROD

I still have a copy of this on a very old and worn C60 and does feature 'Love Starved Heart' - although is listed as 'Heart Attack' - Marvin Gaye. It was the one circulated at Stafford mid '80s. Interestingly, it also has the Spinners 'What More Could A Boy Ask For' which from memory was one of the featured tracks on the 'From The Vaults' album mentioned.

In case anyone's interested this is full track listing (as it appears on the tape):

Side 1

Velvelettes - Let Love Live (Longer)

Gladys Knight - Too Late For Love

Martha & The Vandellas - Spellbound

Temptations - Come On Back To Me Baby

Marvin Gaye - Heart Attack

Marvelettes - Love Is Good

Martha & The Vandellas - Don't Beat Around

Elgins - Sugar's Never Been As Sweet

Velvelettes - Boy From Crosstown

Monitors - Suspicion

Originals - On The Avenue

Martha & The Vandellas - Keep On Stepping

Side 2

Temptations - Lonely World

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - I Quit, I Can't Win

Four Tops - Anything That I Can Do

Stevie Wonder - I'd Cry

Spinners - What More Could A Boy Ask For

Temptations - Gotta Find A Way

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - Baby I Need Your Loving

Supremes - Mother Dear

Four Tops - Helpless

Monitors - Somebody Share A Little

Isley Brothers - Whispers

Temptations - Save My Love

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Here's a white promo that I bought from someone in the states about 6 years ago:

post-2247-1194654701_thumb.jpg

Turns out it was a CK promo, dunno how it got to the states but it cost me 26 dollars and I sold it for around 50 dollars about 2 years ago.

Would love the piccy sleeve as that is a genuine motown press done for a PR thing. Evidently most were left after the show and shrewd dealers wandered round picking them up off the floor. Not more than 500 pressed so the rumour goes.

Tune

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I still have a copy of this on a very old and worn C60 and does feature 'Love Starved Heart' - although is listed as 'Heart Attack' - Marvin Gaye. It was the one circulated at Stafford mid '80s. Interestingly, it also has the Spinners 'What More Could A Boy Ask For' which from memory was one of the featured tracks on the 'From The Vaults' album mentioned.

In case anyone's interested this is full track listing (as it appears on the tape):

Side 1

Velvelettes - Let Love Live (Longer)

Gladys Knight - Too Late For Love

Martha & The Vandellas - Spellbound

Temptations - Come On Back To Me Baby

Marvin Gaye - Heart Attack

Marvelettes - Love Is Good

Martha & The Vandellas - Don't Beat Around

Elgins - Sugar's Never Been As Sweet

Velvelettes - Boy From Crosstown

Monitors - Suspicion

Originals - On The Avenue

Martha & The Vandellas - Keep On Stepping

Side 2

Temptations - Lonely World

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - I Quit, I Can't Win

Four Tops - Anything That I Can Do

Stevie Wonder - I'd Cry

Spinners - What More Could A Boy Ask For

Temptations - Gotta Find A Way

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - Baby I Need Your Loving

Supremes - Mother Dear

Four Tops - Helpless

Monitors - Somebody Share A Little

Isley Brothers - Whispers

Temptations - Save My Love

The cassettes that were circulated in the mid 70s had all the cuts from your 'side 1' plus, as I said, a few other things like "Angel Doll" and "Absent Minded Lover". Everything on your 'side 2' was 'previously issued, so it looks like somebody just bootlegged the bootleg and added to it...

Social source share

The cassettes with "It's Killing" came from Bob Catteneo in San Francisco late 70s early 80s circa. He was the guy who pressed "Spellbound" Martha & The Vandellas from that tape on Tamtown.

He acquired the unissued stuff, from Tom DePerio, I believe.

In the 80s Simon Soussan sold me the 10" acetate of the song along with 60 others, those again were acquired from Tom DePerio. Pretty sure the title was "It's Killing Me"

I am personally "suspicious" of the PROMO PARTY story. There is NOTHING on the label or the sleeve to suggest this was not a genuine 1995 general release and i agree, certainly to promote the CD.

The promo party story though, did assist the sales of a possible "new release" for a collectors price at the time and keep the dealers market secure.

I'd loved to be proved wrong but at the time the "dealer" who had them was trying a little too hard and too long to convince me that it was PROMO ONLY..and thrown around at a party..?

I've got a sneeky feeling if I'd have tried to order it, I maybe could have. Not just my suspicion, and a few others are a little suspicous too..because if this was promo only, it is the one and only time I can think of, that Motown have used a vinyl piece as a promo and NOT stated it on the label or sleeve.

But it does have text on the back of the sleeve that clearly states:

PRODUCED FOR RELEASE by AMY HEROT!

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The cassettes with "It's Killing" came from Bob Catteneo in San Francisco late 70s early 80s circa. He was the guy who pressed "Spellbound" Martha & The Vandellas from that tape on Tamtown.

He acquired the unissued stuff, from Tom DePerio, I believe.

In the 80s Simon Soussan sold me the 10" acetate of the song along with 60 others, those again were acquired from Tom DePerio. Pretty sure the title was "It's Killing Me"

I am personally "suspicious" of the PROMO PARTY story. There is NOTHING on the label or the sleeve to suggest this was not a genuine 1995 general release and i agree, certainly to promote the CD.

The promo party story though, did assist the sales of a possible "new release" for a collectors price at the time and keep the dealers market secure.

I'd loved to be proved wrong but at the time the "dealer" who had them was trying a little too hard and too long to convince me that it was PROMO ONLY..and thrown around at a party..?

I've got a sneeky feeling if I'd have tried to order it, I maybe could have. Not just my suspicion, and a few others are a little suspicous too..because if this was promo only, it is the one and only time I can think of, that Motown have used a vinyl piece as a promo and NOT stated it on the label or sleeve.

But it does have text on the back of the sleeve that clearly states:

PRODUCED FOR RELEASE by AMY HEROT!

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The cassettes that were circulated in the mid 70s had all the cuts from your 'side 1' plus, as I said, a few other things like "Angel Doll" and "Absent Minded Lover". Everything on your 'side 2' was 'previously issued, so it looks like somebody just bootlegged the bootleg and added to it...

Thank you, than you, thank you ever since Gary Spencer played "come on back to me baby" to me in 1991 I have maintained I knew it, in fact I sang along to the record when he played if.

I categorically stated that I had heard it at Wigan. Maybe I didn't but I must have heard to before 78 when I pissed off to get married and have sprogs...

See Spencer I knew I was right..

Social source share

"It was certainly around as early as the mid 70s"

Ceratinly NOT the mid-70s. I was in Bob Catteneo house in 1977, 1978, and 1979. He did NOT have the cassettes or any unissued Motown in that period.

I'm more or less certain the earliest year was after those 3 dates. Rod Shard could maybe confirm, as he was involved with "Daly City Bob" just as much as I was.

But mid-70s is a non-starter. It was May 1977 when I first visited him..

Social source share

Thank you, than you, thank you ever since Gary Spencer played "come on back to me baby" to me in 1991 I have maintained I knew it, in fact I sang along to the record when he played if.

I categorically stated that I had heard it at Wigan. Maybe I didn't but I must have heard to before 78 when I pissed off to get married and have sprogs...

See Spencer I knew I was right..

Sorry Paul, not before 1980 and maybe even later.. it was the period of "Lonely Lover" "suspicion" etc were booted at the wrong speed in Nottingham on ADVANCE RECORDS from the cassettes.. in about 1983.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"It was certainly around as early as the mid 70s"

Ceratinly NOT the mid-70s. I was in Bob Catteneo house in 1977, 1978, and 1979. He did NOT have the cassettes or any unissued Motown in that period.

I'm more or less certain the earliest year was after those 3 dates. Rod Shard could maybe confirm, as he was involved with "Daly City Bob" just as much as I was.

But mid-70s is a non-starter. It was May 1977 when I first visited him..

I definitely could have gotten this cassette no later than March '78 (and probably earlier) as I was given it when I worked on Cheapo Cheapo's stall - which I did from March 1976 to March 1978. That's mid 70s enough for me...

Social source share

I definitely could have gotten this cassette no later than March '78 (and probably earlier) as I was given it when I worked on Cheapo Cheapo's stall - which I did from March 1976 to March 1978. That's mid 70s enough for me...

Rob Shard's ya man to firm up dates, I think he was the first to acquire them from Bob. I still see it as 1980-ish.. but I'm forgetting more and more every day...

What year did Leicestter City ever win the F.A. Cup?

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Prior to digging this tape out I'd have sworn that 'Lonely Lover', 'Angel Doll', 'Absent minded Lover' were also on it (I'm quite disappointed to find their not!)

Seem to recall the 'Spellbound' boot being around '82ish (had Barbara McNair 'Love My Baby' on flip), which was followed a year or so later by the 'Suspicion' one.

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!