Who's Broken Most Sounds On The N S Circuit

Guest Brian Ellis

Guest Brian Ellis

My vote goes to Soul Sam. I know that Butch does set a pace currently, but given Sam's involvement in the scene since (approx) 1968, I guess he holds some kind of unique record....or does he?

Other contenders..... Ian Levine, Colin Curtis, Richard Searling.... anyone else?

What are your views?

Brian :D

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My vote goes to Soul Sam. I know that Butch does set a pace currently, but given Sam's involvement in the scene since (approx) 1968, I guess he holds some kind of unique record....or does he?

Other contenders..... Ian Levine, Colin Curtis, Richard Searling.... anyone else?

What are your views?

What was last 2 years sounds Brian ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Or sounds prsonally discovered and champion by the DJ?

I broke my Arnold Blair a few months back :D

Anyway

Thats what I take my hat off to Simon !

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

By 'broken' I presume you mean who first played a record out?

Regardless of whether they were spoon fed it my a dealer?

Or sounds prsonally discovered and champion by the DJ?

I think I mean who has championed a record and got it to the masses over a sustained amount of time, put his 'weight' behind it and made it a dancefloor filler.

One that springs to mind, that had anyone else initially had the 'rejection' of an empty dance floor would have perhaps cut and run, is 'Love Stormy Weather' - Melvin Brown/James Matthews.

So what does everyone else think?

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

One that springs to mind, that had anyone else initially had the 'rejection' of an empty dance floor would have perhaps cut and run, is 'Love Stormy Weather' - Melvin Brown/James Matthews.

Do you not think it also about the right record to the right crowd.

Rod Dearlove was the first Dj I heard play this well before Sam and others, and it did not empty the floor.

And I am not knocking Sam and the others.

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Pete Smith ? About a dozen copies of the Carstairs & counting ! :lol:

Seriously though, looking forward to the replies on this thread :D Like hearing who discovered the tunes aswell :thumbsup: For instance, it was great to read on here the other day that SS member Modernsoulsucks discovered 'Naughty Boy' , any others on here with similar claims to fame ?

Social source share

Pete Smith ? About a dozen copies of the Carstairs & counting ! :D

Seriously though, looking forward to the replies on this thread :D Like hearing who discovered the tunes aswell :thumbsup: For instance, it was great to read on here the other day that SS member Modernsoulsucks discovered 'Naughty Boy' , any others on here with similar claims to fame ?

martin barnfather,over the years,broke some top class tunes,but allways with soul,only my opinion,but he will remain my dj hero. :lol:

Social source share

martin barnfather,over the years,broke some top class tunes,but allways with soul,only my opinion,but he will remain my dj hero. :thumbsup:

:D Utter & total respect for him, but i have to say early 80's he wasn't my cup of tea.

Social source share

:thumbsup: Utter & total respect for him, but i have to say early 80's he wasn't my cup of tea.

agreed about Sam. :D

Carl Willingham springs to mind too...

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Sam is a lovely fella but he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous a bit too much for me.

I would have thought Ady Croasdale must be in with a shout - having introduced more consistently good previously unknown/unheard material than anyone else i can think of.

Derek

Social source share

Richard Searling, Levine, Gary Rushbrooke, Dave Thorley,Sam........

Though most top tunes over the years have come from one source...John Anderson.

Chris.

Got to agree Mr Anderson certainly responsible for an abundance of stuff... but I think it more reflective to say East Anglia, as a region, because one only has to look at people the likes of Kev Draper and, in particular, Glen Bellamy - who has never been a 'bragging' type but has been responsible for a whole plethoria of discoveries over the decades.

Social source share

Sam is a lovely fella but he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous a bit too much for me.

I would have thought Ady Croasdale must be in with a shout - having introduced more consistently good previously unknown/unheard material than anyone else i can think of.

Derek

Amen to that :thumbsup: Especially over the last 15/20 yrs ! really has been the driving force in keeping it all going i would say :lol:

(just a personal opinion, not trying to re-write history :D )

Chris.

:D Yep, another good call.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

MICK SMITH (100 Club)..Guy Stevens..Dave Godin...Rob Bellars..Farmer Carl.....Brian 45 Phillips..Simon Soussan.

Levine / SEARLING / Crosdell...John Anderson must be #1 though

Social source share

John Anderson must be #1 though

Importing records and therefore making tracks available to top end jocks (which in reality didn't happen, at the time as John's lists were invariably open to all who had the sense to put their money where their soul was - but I think (hope) you catch my drift) and having the knackers to play said unplayed, untried records first time out, is a completely different thread.

John is inextricably entwined within this scenes history, no doubt, but I remember Charles Johnson being £4....I don't think it would have been that price after it was broken, dancefloor side - do you?

Big balls were required (not really, if you understood quality), but still, you had to show and tell.

Social source share

MICK SMITH (100 Club)..Guy Stevens..Dave Godin...Rob Bellars..Farmer Carl.....Brian 45 Phillips..Simon Soussan.

Levine / SEARLING / Crosdell...John Anderson must be #1 though

I would have thought Mr Saucepan was more involved in the supply of records , than the breaking of them ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Got to be Jon Anderson for sure, he has suppied most of the Big records to DJ's like Searling,Butch,Sam,Mick Smith (well one at least to mick lol).

My next main man would be the one and only Mr A Croadsel. Think about all those unissued records going back to the 8ts through to the nineties and so on...the list is endless. All the scepter,shrine,wand,rca,carnival,big top etc etc. Thats not even talking about the unissed 100club singles and the super raritys like Big city playboy....tune!!!

Greg

ps also ovenchips had suppied alot...c'mon give him his dues :D

Social source share

Importing records and therefore making tracks available to top end jocks (which in reality didn't happen, at the time as John's lists were invariably open to all who had the sense to put their money where their soul was

Not strictly true mate, as the Top DJs drove to Soul Bowl and got access to things that John didn't list. Most of the top DJs were all regular visitors in the 70s and 80s. What would happen is that there would be small piles of discoveries that John would prepare for each DJ to listen to. As a humble youngster, broke and living in Peterborough, I went with Soul Sam a number of times and we had seperate piles to listen through. Sam obviously got the rare stuff in his pile, and invariably I got what John thought would be some good £1.50 type soul sounds. This worked for both of us, as I couldn't afford the rare stuff and had a wife and hungry kids to feed.

Over the years it has been said that there was a pecking order for DJ's and in the late 70s I think you can evidence by his playlists at Wigan, Searling got first call on new discoveries. Then it was Poke for a while, Sam with modern, Butch with 60s etc.

So I'd agree that John has discovered more than anyone. Of course he didn't discovere everything and no one is suggesting that.

As to DJ's again it's a timing thing - Searling was streets ahead in the late 70s / early 80's on new 60s, but since then?

Sam has also had a long run as he has just kept going as Brian says. More recently the crown would go to Butch. I'd also single out for special mention people like Arthur Fenn, who has always been at the progressive end of northern, Dearlove with the slower stuff, Ady Croasdell, Andy Dyson for 60's etc.

So what I am saying in a roundabout and long winded way is, there isn't a single person that stands out since 1968, but Sam is certainly up there. Though again fair to say he hasn't broke too much in the last couple of years.

So the principle that best reflects this (and again not always true) the dealer discovers them, and the DJ breaks them -is that a fair compromise?

Social source share

Do you not think it also about the right record to the right crowd.

Rod Dearlove was the first Dj I heard play this well before Sam and others, and it did not empty the floor.

And I am not knocking Sam and the others.

true 100% Thorne-but there were only 50 people there but all were into it !!

Social source share

Chris.

John Anderson might be the main man when it comes to discovering the records ,but.......

I believe the question was/is "who's broken the most sounds on the northern circuit"?

That surely must go to a DJ who first plays em out :g:

HAZZARD A GUESS, SEARLING DUE TO HIS LONGEVITY ON THE SCENE

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Not strictly true mate, as the Top DJs drove to Soul Bowl and got access to things that John didn't list. Most of the top DJs were all regular visitors in the 70s and 80s. What would happen is that there would be small piles of discoveries that John would prepare for each DJ to listen to. As a humble youngster, broke and living in Peterborough, I went with Soul Sam a number of times and we had seperate piles to listen through. Sam obviously got the rare stuff in his pile, and invariably I got what John thought would be some good £1.50 type soul sounds. This worked for both of us, as I couldn't afford the rare stuff and had a wife and hungry kids to feed.

Over the years it has been said that there was a pecking order for DJ's and in the late 70s I think you can evidence by his playlists at Wigan, Searling got first call on new discoveries. Then it was Poke for a while, Sam with modern, Butch with 60s etc.

So I'd agree that John has discovered more than anyone. Of course he didn't discovere everything and no one is suggesting that.

As to DJ's again it's a timing thing - Searling was streets ahead in the late 70s / early 80's on new 60s, but since then?

Sam has also had a long run as he has just kept going as Brian says. More recently the crown would go to Butch. I'd also single out for special mention people like Arthur Fenn, who has always been at the progressive end of northern, Dearlove with the slower stuff, Ady Croasdell, Andy Dyson for 60's etc.

So what I am saying in a roundabout and long winded way is, there isn't a single person that stands out since 1968, but Sam is certainly up there. Though again fair to say he hasn't broke too much in the last couple of years.

So the principle that best reflects this (and again not always true) the dealer discovers them, and the DJ breaks them -is that a fair compromise?

I think this is a great post Steve. Super bit of NS history. It's stuff like this that any future generation of soulies (if there are any in the future :lol: ) might want to look back on to see where and how the scene has developed.

Think you've covered most, if not all the most influential individuals responsible for keeping things moving forwards.

Regards

Brian :g:

Social source share

I think this is a great post Steve. Super bit of NS history. It's stuff like this that any future generation of soulies (if there are any in the future :lol: ) might want to look back on to see where and how the scene has developed.

Think you've covered most, if not all the most influential individuals responsible for keeping things moving forwards.

Regards

Brian :lol:

Agreed Brian, nice to see Steve re-applying that journalist talent, there may be another magazine in you as yet Mr G. :g:

Seriously Steve (coudn't double quote for some reason) great post and agree with your last compromise, it's a great summary of how it used to be.

Is anyone other than Butch (who I just can't believe is so rarely credited on this site) and Andy Dyson actually discovering new things these days, i.e. not just djing with them? Does anyone care about that nowadays?

Last slightly tangential point here, do we not also need a book on the dealers, believe John Anderson was interviewed for a mag but I missed it, can anyone confirm. I think one focusing on Mr Manship and Mr Anderson but also covering the stateside ones such as Martin Koppell, Kev Roberts, Iain, and the UK travellers such as Iain Clark, Tim Ashibende, Butch etc etc would be fascinating, in fact wouldn't mind writing it if someone wants to pay a large publishers advance! Mind you they are a right bunch of grumpy old gits so the interviews could be tough.......

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Agreed Brian, nice to see Steve re-applying that journalist talent, there may be another magazine in you as yet Mr G. :g:

Seriously Steve (coudn't double quote for some reason) great post and agree with your last compromise, it's a great summary of how it used to be.

Is anyone other than Butch (who I just can't believe is so rarely credited on this site) and Andy Dyson discovering new things these days? Does anyone care about that nowadays?

Last slightly tangential point here, do we not also need a book on the dealers, believe John Anderson was interviewed for a mag but I missed it, can anyone confirm. I think one focusing on Mr Manship and Mr Anderson but also covering the stateside ones such as Martin Koppell, Kev Roberts, Iain, and the UK travellers such as Iain Clark, Tim Ashibende, Butch etc etc would be fascinating, in fact wouldn't mind writing it if someone wants to pay a large publishers advance! Mind you they are a right bunch of grumpy old gits so the interviews could be tough.......

Steve,

pretty sure there was an interview with John Anderson in a funk magazine, think the mag was called Big Daddy.

Gary

Social source share

Hello Jock

Hope you are keeping well. John Anderson was interviewed by Snowboy in the Big Daddy magazine. I have a copy in the house if you want a look at it.

Cheers Kerrso

Social source share

Hello Jock

Hope you are keeping well. John Anderson was interviewed by Snowboy in the Big Daddy magazine. I have a copy in the house if you want a look at it.

Cheers Kerrso

Hi John I am good, if living quietly at moment, I have a few of Big Daddy magazines in loft that I must dig and make sure I didn't miss, but yes if not would be interested in a look.

Hope you are well and see you somewhere, I haven't been out in Scotland for ages.

Social source share

What are your views?

Brian :g:

The last 20 years it has been Butch, and more recently Andy Dyson IMHO. Sam, no disrespect has picked up a lot of stuff after it's already been played out. Sams probably been doing it longer than anyone else who's still DJing nowadays I would have thought and he still does the business for me, although one or two of the newer things leave a little to be desired :lol: But these days I still say it's Butch and Andy Dyson, streets ahead of anyone else with the newies!

Over the years I would have thought though Richard Searling must be up there and no one's mentioned Pat Brady? Also Guy and Keb went through a few records between them :lol:

Social source share

Pete Smith ? About a dozen copies of the Carstairs & counting ! :lol:

Seriously though, looking forward to the replies on this thread thumbsup.gif Like hearing who discovered the tunes aswell :lol: For instance, it was great to read on here the other day that SS member Modernsoulsucks discovered 'Naughty Boy' , any others on here with similar claims to fame ?

woot this about the carstairs huh

Social source share

woot this about the carstairs huh

Just an on going joke Billy thumbsup.gif Pete accidently broke a record of the tune, which he hates anyway i might add, & has at various times on here posted up mock up pics of things that you can do to a Carstairs 45. Unfortunatly some have thought that he has broken each one :lol:

Social source share

Just an on going joke Billy thumbsup.gif Pete accidently broke a record of the tune, which he hates anyway i might add, & has at various times on here posted up mock up pics of things that you can do to a Carstairs 45. Unfortunatly some have thought that he has broken each one :lol:

Straight up Bogue you're not winding me up, I see you come from the marrs bar area top club if you go top man,Carstairs rules.

Billy

Social source share

Straight up Bogue you're not winding me up, I see you come from the marrs bar area top club if you go top man,Carstairs rules.

Billy

No def serious Billy ! Sure Pete will be on soon professing his love of it !

Yep, bit wet over here again at the moment Billy ! When will these damn floods end ?

Social source share

What are your views?

Brian :thumbsup:

john anderson i thought every body knew that billy

Social source share

What are your views?

Brian :thumbsup:

Whenever these discussions on DJ's take place I'm always amazed by how little is said about Ian Levine - when NS was at its peak in the early seventies (when it was fresh and vibrant) - Mecca, Wigan, Cleethorpes etc - he didn't just lead, he was a country mile ahead of the rest including Searling and co at Wigan. The sounds he broke (as well as Anderson sourcing them, he found many himself) nigh on defined the sound and to this day are the cornerstone of the scene. Never mind what he went on to , I don't think there is anyone to touch him. I hear so much about late period Searling at Wigan but were the sounds really better than those championed by Levine? and Soul Sam? - he has longevity and enthusiasm for sure but that's all.

Mike

Social source share

Roger Eagle had all the tunes before everybody else - and was a genuinely nice bloke

Richard Searling has surely broken most by virtue of longevity alone.

And I know it's not a popular position to promote, but Russ did a fair few too - he might not have had first play but he certainly knew how to pick the ones to push.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Soul Sam and i would say Ian Levine he must have had so many records in the 70's to play and before you know it everyone has a copy or wants one to play

Social source share

Soul Sam and i would say Ian Levine he must have had so many records in the 70's to play and before you know it everyone has a copy or wants one to play

Agree in the mid 70s, Ian Levine was playing em and dropping them faster than you could whistle Dixie. But he's been inactive in the breaking new discoveries front since 1976, over 30 years ago and the thread is about who'se broken most in the last 40 years Paul. DJ wise would think it's Sam, purely because he has been DJing on the northern / modern scene pretty much every week for the last 40 years.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

In reply, of course there were tracks kept to one side for the lads, yes, I shouldn't have left that out if my response, foolish of me - I hope you grasped the general point of my above post though, which was that recognising quality and breaking same on the dancefloor are two completely different things.

Simply, for the quality of output alone it has to be Richard.

Disclaimer: This is only my view, aimed at people with my view alone. :g:

Social source share

A few points.

First of all its great that new sounds are still being introduced and welcomed.

When Mr Levine sold his various collections, how many tunes were then 'broken' by those who bought them? Playing a record once as was the case sometimes hardly gave them a chance to be 'broken' and there must have been that much stuff that some of these new discoveries of the last 25 years were always there anyway.

And finally in the 'SoulBowl soul packs of the late 70s', when the scene was in decline how many tunes sent out for 10 pence each have be 'discovered' all over again?

Food for thought.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert