Shortest Northern Track

Not the shortest but got another wave.gif moment Billy & the Essentials ( thanks for tip M Freeman ) - My way of sayin

on Smash clocks in on 1.51 . had hopes for Satisfactions on Smash as well but was way over 2 min.... :thumbsup:

peggy gaines at 1'25" whooooosh nice tune as well.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

i give you "nothing lasts forever" staple singers1.10 on epic single not same as LP much better.

Doh just seen a old topic :rofl:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Preems

"STAY" THE VIRGINIA WOLVES 1min 26 secs (IRONIC TITLE REALLY COZ NO SOONER ITS ON THE DECK AND THEN ITS "GONE"

JOHN FISHER

that's true to the orignial by Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs which is around 1:20, one of the very shortest

Social source share

Guest Preems

J. Young and the Fabulous Dobbs on Naj Ma, 1.42, so I paid almost $11/second, ouch! ohmy.gif

handed this record to my dj partner and he played it out last night, realized i had made a mistake not picking it up, now there is an ouch for you

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL THE SHORTEST NORTHERN SOUL RECORD, THAT WAS PLAYED AT THE CATS, NOT SURE IF IT WAS PEP OR MAX R.I.P.

IS THE VERY RARE, GORDENS GIN THEME, IT WAS COMPOSED BY JEFF WAYNE, AND VALUE WISE, IS NOT FOR SALE, I ONLY NO 2 OTHER COPYS,

AGAIN THIS HAS BEEN STATED BEFORE, TO BE CLASSED AS NORTHERN SOUL, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYED IN THE GOLDEN AGE,

IT HAS A SPOKEN INTRO OF 30" AND THE MUSIC FROM START TO THE END IT IS 60" = 1minute & 30 seconds, and it' on a UK LABEL,

i reckon that it's the official shortest record played, unles you know better :D DAVE.

post-13241-0-53997700-1312777917_thumb.j

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Promotional disk of "the Gordons Gin theme" a storming instrumental and only 58 seconds!

Bugger! just read the post about 3 above this one! sorry!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Tony Clayton used to play the unfinished acetate of when he's not around I'm sure it was only around a minutes worth.Regards Simon.

Social source share

'Trey J's "I Found it All In You" at around 1:50,'

I think this is actually 1:37, could definitely do with another minute added to it! smile.gif Brilliant all the same.....

JP Robinson on Blue Candle ends too soon as well, always want him to come back in after the flute playout.......

its bloody maddening there must be a studio cut of that with another minute on it i hope and its found

Social source share

Tony Clayton used to play the unfinished acetate of when he's not around I'm sure it was only around a minutes worth.Regards Simon.

the bent vicar played a emidisc taken from a rod dearlove tape which only had 3 quarters of the track on, thats why it was so short

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Seem to remember some very short ones back in the early 70's, if a track didn't work the floor off it came and the next one was spinning, which was quite annoying if you were one of the few who happened to be dancing to it. Those were the days when the dance floor was rammed the majority of the time and there of there course were plenty of new spins to try out each night. Seen that happened to what are deemed classic tunes these days.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Guest RichEvans

Cheating Kind- don gardner.

The Amazers.- Without A Warning Not sure of the exact time but both under 2 minutes

aye up Wrighty! not read the thread so may have been mentioned, but shortest track I've played is prob Lanny Hunt - Suzie Q....

Social source share

The Debonaires "I'm In Love Again" (UK Track/US Sidra) is a track that is really very short and clocks in at about 1:50. I remember thinking that when I heard it on BBC Radio 1 on release. Experience suggests that timings on labels should only be used as a guide

And if I remember correctly, the UK Track 45 incorrectly shows the writers as HDH - possibly confused with a song with the same title on the flip side of the Supremes "Stopl In The Name Of Love" (TMG 501). The flip side "Headache In My Heart" simply showed "Unknown" as the writers!! Not sure what was worse.

IMO, one of the best Detroit double sided 45's ever.

Social source share

Guest Preems

Not the shortest, but........

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me

is pretty short at 1.53 or there abouts

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me Baby 01:35

Karmello Brooks could go on forever and i wouldn't mind, although maybe its shortness produces that longing? Either way a beautiful record!

Social source share

peggy gaines at 1'25" whooooosh nice tune as well.

yeah great shame that is so short, lovely record. 'sweet way of living'...feels like it ends as its hitting its real groove...

Social source share

Anything under 2:00 is short, in my opinion, such as...

'Theme From Coloured Man' by Teddy Vann (1:42)

'Black Eyed Girl' by Billy Thompson (1:53)

'Blowing My Mind To Pierces' by Bob Relf (1:55)

Most of the shortest duration tracks are obviously very uptempo so it would be interesting to discuss any slower tempo tracks which are short - containing less bars and therefore being "less of a song".

Paul

Social source share

Anything under 2:00 is short, in my opinion, such as...

'Theme From Coloured Man' by Teddy Vann (1:42)

'Black Eyed Girl' by Billy Thompson (1:53)

'Blowing My Mind To Pierces' by Bob Relf (1:55)

Most of the shortest duration tracks are obviously very uptempo so it would be interesting to discuss any slower tempo tracks which are short - containing less bars and therefore being "less of a song".

Paul

Nothing lasts forever - staple singers - epic 1.10 is pretty down beat hardly any instruments just a pretty funky piano,not same as LP version though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!