Owners Name In Run Out

Guest SteveJohnston

Guest SteveJohnston

Owners name in the run out!

Over the year we all must have seen old owners name scratched into the run out of some records but I have four with Steve Kennedys name in and seen lots more that I would loved to have had but just could not stretch to at the time or now for that matter, Steve must of had one hell of a collection from what I have seen over the years. I knew of Steve but don't remember meeting him ever.

Any more that spring to mind or anyone any memories?

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Over the year we all must have seen old owners name scratched into the run out of some records but I have four with Steve Kennedys name in and seen lots more that I would loved to have had but just could not stretch to at the time or now for that matter, Steve must of had one hell of a collection from what I have seen over the years. I knew of Steve but don't remember meeting him ever.

Steve J

Mick Cooper.

RT - Ginger ?

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I had a copy of Pat Powdrill, Do It, on Downey Demo

Bought it off Dave Withers at Wigan

That had his name in the run-out

:shades:

I have a copy of Artistics "this heart of mine" OKeh

With Dave W in the run out same may be!

Social source share

Haha...there was a time where I couldn't play out without records of mine going missing...it wasnt as civilised then...if you're playing with several DJs all off their head...records everywhere etc...sometimes stuff was taken by accident even...so I solved it by putting my name on every record I owned in big black marker...this soon stopped as I got older and realised I was depreciating the value :shades:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Haha...there was a time where I couldn't play out without records of mine going missing...it wasnt as civilised then...if you're playing with several DJs all off their head...records everywhere etc...sometimes stuff was taken by accident even...so I solved it by putting my name on every record I owned in big black marker...this soon stopped as I got older and realised I was depreciating the value :ohmy:

BLACK MARKER.................... :shades: You live and learn i don't even mark the plain Wight covers anymore :yes:

Social source share

Steve J

Hi Steve, i was guitly of doing this back in the 70,s D T on one side and = on the other.

Also a coloured in alot of white demo,s ie blue and red on the hat on Kapp, the dots on Nite life etc.

I didn,t do it on all just the early days, but all the records i sold to Ian Gillabrand have got his name on and there is alot of them about.

Also owned quite a few with Andy Simpson,s name on and Johnny Mack as well.

Dave

Edited by davetay
Social source share

BLACK MARKER.................... :shades: You live and learn i don't even mark the plain Wight covers anymore :ohmy:

Some bloody great early 70's art on a lot of my white covers (well, we were young and passionate).What was I thinkin'!!!

Being generally disorganised (it's a bloke thing) records always got put in the wrong covers which is an ace way to explore your collection:play the vinyl in the cover and then look for the record marked on the cover - works wonders.

Have to laugh when I look at some of the comments I wrote on those covers (it's amazing how many best record ever's I had - sounded like Soul Sam!!)

Paul

Social source share

Steve J

I knew Steve Kennedy very well. He was from Nuneaton - and yes, he did have some mighty fine tunes!

My old copy of the Volumes on Twirl had M. Dobson S-O-T scratched into the run out. I kid you not! :shades:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I knew Steve Kennedy very well. He was from Nuneaton - and yes, he did have some mighty fine tunes!

My old copy of the Volumes on Twirl had M. Dobson S-O-T scratched into the run out. I kid you not! :shades:

Joan the one's i have with Steve's name in are

The M-M The Phillie Money

Sheila Ferguson And in return Swan

The Quotations I don,t have to worry DiVenus

Lou roberts You had me fooled MGM

Danny Woods You foold me Correc-tone

just a taster of the kind of collection he had all mighty fine tunes IMO

Steve J

Social source share

Seem to remember Carl Fortnum did "mark" all of his records in the run out. I used to do it "when I was young and innocent"...last one I ever marked in the run out was Charles Sheffield`s "Voodoo" 10 years ago....anyone having my old copy now (sorry in case yes :shades: ) ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Seem to remember Carl Fortnum did "mark" all of his records in the run out. I used to do it "when I was young and innocent"...last one I ever marked in the run out was Charles Sheffield`s "Voodoo" 10 years ago....anyone having my old copy now (sorry in case yes :shades: ) ?

Marc

Marc

To my mind it dose not Knock the value of a record if someone puts there name in the run out, although saying that I would not do it, I think it ads something to a record as long as it is done right! A bit like having all the past MOT's for a car! you kind of know where it's been!

Steve J

Social source share

Mick Webb, known as Cockney Mick, from Slough used to do this.

He also used to write stuff on the covers of his sales box items in an attempt to urge punters to buy. Things like "Is this brill or wot?" - old mate of mine took to collecting the covers.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I have had a few with Steve Kennedy on they have always been worn out copies so I stay away from them now.

Makes me think did he sell or were they stolen.

Not one worn out

The S/F copy i sold at blackpool about five years ago........got it back this year at Rugby.

First got it of Tony Clark when he found a DJ copy'

Can't say if he sold up or had them stolen, but i think if the later we would all know about it don't you? bet somone will tell!

Steve J

Social source share

Steve J

Also quite alot of records with names on in pen on the label.

Social source share

BLACK MARKER.................... :no: You live and learn i don't even mark the plain Wight covers anymore :D

I bet it would be interesting to get a UV light on some records. Judging from the number of people who claim to mark their vinyl with security pens.

when Neil's Bobby Day got nicked, quite a lot of people suggested it and said they'd been doing it for years. I've never actually sat down and looked

though..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Not one worn out

The S/F copy i sold at blackpool about five years ago........got it back this year at Rugby.

First got it of Tony Clark when he found a DJ copy'

Can't say if he sold up or had them stolen, but i think if the later we would all know about it don't you? bet somone will tell!

Steve J

hope your looking after it steve :no:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Veering slightly off topic but still in the same postcode. I bought a bulk box a few years back and on opening it noticed that some wise guy had spray painted the number 45 on about 15 of the records , not on the label but on the vinyl.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Joan the one's i have with Steve's name in are

The M-M The Phillie Money

Sheila Ferguson And in return Swan

The Quotations I don,t have to worry DiVenus

Lou roberts You had me fooled MGM

Danny Woods You foold me Correc-tone

just a taster of the kind of collection he had all mighty fine tunes IMO

Steve J

I've got Carl's old copy of the Sandpipers on Giant (bought back when it was still relatively hard to find :D ) - has his name carved in the run out - don't recall that being pointed out when I bought it .... but given that it's only VG/VG+ish (but plays mint), it sort of adds character :no:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

hope your looking after it steve :no:

In safe hands Ted will be playing it out this weekend at the Run to the Lions Den Scooter weekender in the N/S room :D

Social source share

I bet it would be interesting to get a UV light on some records. Judging from the number of people who claim to mark their vinyl with security pens.

when Neil's Bobby Day got nicked, quite a lot of people suggested it and said they'd been doing it for years. I've never actually sat down and looked

though..

Jayne.x

I'm guilty of this one Jane!

My thinking is if the unthinkable ever happened - it would be my word against whoever's.

This way it could be proven one way or the other - with minimal damage to the record. To the naked eye anyway! :no:

Social source share

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by this? What has condition got to do with anything?

He sold them btw :no:

My man ran about with Steve from 79 until mid 90 s and sold him many records including Al Williams, Groovettes etc so if you look under Steve s name on the run out groove you might see the name Rich Jakeman. :D Rich sees him occasionally in Nuneaton but he is totally off the scene after selling up.

Social source share

I'm guilty of this one Jane!

My thinking is if the unthinkable ever happened - it would be my word against whoever's.

This way it could be proven one way or the other - with minimal damage to the record. To the naked eye anyway! :thumbup:

Yep, dont blame you either Joan, :rolleyes:

When you think of how valuable these records are, both sentimentally as well as financially, it's daft not too.

If the Bobby Day had been marked, it would have at least given some hope to finding it one day.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by this? What has condition got to do with anything?

He sold them btw :rolleyes:

Russell White had his name on his/my records,make what you want of that Joan :thumbup: but your right what condition got to do with it. :huh:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

He sold them btw thumbsup.gif

Hi Joan

I have just finished talking to Rob Gray and yes he told me Steve sold up what at the time was a real good collection.

Steve J

Social source share

I've got a lot that some Polish collector must have owned at one time as he's stamped his surname in the run-out. Ztsc. Anyone know him?

ROD

Hi Rob, that,s the guy that moved to the USA after the war! Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

I've got a lot that some Polish collector must have owned at one time as he's stamped his surname in the run-out. Ztsc. Anyone know him?

ROD

Always thought one of your Polish predecessors had that collection Rod, and it stood for:

Zis Trash Sucks Comrade

It seemed obvious that when you grew up you would carry on the tradition.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Hi Steve, i was guitly of doing this back in the 70,s D T on one side and = on the other.

Also a coloured in alot of white demo,s ie blue and red on the hat on Kapp, the dots on Nite life etc.

I didn,t do it on all just the early days, but all the records i sold to Ian Gillabrand have got his name on and there is alot of them about.

Also owned quite a few with Andy Simpson,s name on and Johnny Mack as well.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had a few of those didnt i Dave?

V Blackly £12

C Cooper issue etc

Still got a few.

I have Andy Simpsons old Charades c/w "engraved name"

Johnny Mack stuff too,

Plus our good friend Barry Waddington ( A45 Heaven) did it...my Canadian Stone Eddie Parker a "prime" example

When i lived down south i bought a Chico Lamarr and /or The Penetrations on Teri De as an "unknown ish 45" complete with Steve Snooks name who i new at Yate but not sure if i bought it off him?

Regards

David Ferguson

Social source share

Swoz has the original Catacombs copy of Jimmy Thomas - The Beautiful Night - with the late Bob Crocker's name scratched in the run off. It looks knackered, but it's a bit of history.

only wish I kept it. the proud owner of that is now garry hollyman

and believe me he paid the price. good luck gaz.

Social source share

we still scratch our name on the flipside in run out. always done it. long before i ever intended

to sell anything (db pinches) got loads of records with names in deadwax. trev T (soulman1964) dave k from york, patto, carl f.............list is endless. anybody got any old

friends of mine. theres plenty out there.

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Steve J

One of the most famous was "Jon Slater" he'd write his name on all the labels, his collection (or

a large part of it) got sold about 4 - 5 years ago, he even got a mention on the Richard Searling

show, surely the pinnacle of fame !! :lol:

Chris L

Social source share

He sold them btw :sweatingbullets:

I will spell it out for you Jean, the copies I have had with Steve Kennedy on have been shagged out records and not worth the money, either his old worn out copies or just sold on from a collection.

I think it has a lot to do with quality if you see one of these records for sale it could be frooked.

If I seen or spot one its not a record I will stick my neck out to get hope this makes sense to you.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

At a record fair I once found a fairly rare 45 on which the former owner had not only written his name in the run out of the record, but also carved into the actual record (the B-side only) with a sharp object (right across the grooves...bu-huh)... "This side sucks!". Well it definitely prevents you from playing that side since it´s seriously scratched/carved in like that...hmmm...

Social source share

I will spell it out for you Jean, the copies I have had with Steve Kennedy on have been shagged out records and not worth the money, either his old worn out copies or just sold on from a collection.

I think it has a lot to do with quality if you see one of these records for sale it could be frooked.

If I seen or spot one its not a record I will stick my neck out to get hope this makes sense to you.

I will spell it out for you - and its Joan not Jean. biggrin.gif

You said:

I have had a few with Steve Kennedy on they have always been worn out copies so I stay away from them now.

Makes me think did he sell or were they stolen.

And I said - what has condition got to do with anything?

Social source share

At a record fair I once found a fairly rare 45 on which the former owner had not only written his name in the run out of the record, but also carved into the actual record (the B-side only) with a sharp object (right across the grooves...bu-huh)... "This side sucks!". Well it definitely prevents you from playing that side since it´s seriously scratched/carved in like that...hmmm...

I once left abox of records at my girlfriends- Someone told her I had been see with another girl in Blackpool so on my return she told me to get lost! I thought nothing of it until I got home and went to play one of the 45s from the box - She had engraved her name into everyone of the 50 or so records right across the playing surface only 3 survived the trash! :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert