• Replies 92
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Andy Kempster

hardly going to set the world on fire is it

does beg the question....WHY? :thumbsup: you can get most of these tracks free with a packet of cornflakes these days

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think the clue may be in the title of the compilation, and in that aspect, it does exactly what it says on the tin!

For the sake of a good arguement. I dont think it does.

I think it represents a time, maybe 30 years ago, and has little relation to an introduction to Northern Soul today.

Not many if any allnighters or soul clubs will be playing a large percentage of those tunes regularly.

Any introduction into Northern Soul in 2008, should include popular oldies currently experiencing a lot of airplay today. 'The Chase Is On' for example. But also include some of the many tracks that are the staple of todays allnighters all over the country, that have been discovered recently.

What is the point of saying massive at the Torch, or a Mecca biggie if the inductees, cant go to the Torch or Mecca. Wouldnt a better intro say current fave at the Wilton, Burnley monster or a top 100 club spin? An introduction of what they would hear were they to step into a club this weekend, would be a much better place to start, and they could learn about the rest once the bug has taken them.

This is just reconstituted tunes with the phalacy that the 3 before 8 are still the last three tunes played. And it doesnt even begin to include the modern side of Northern soul, so how could they leave out something as strong as the modern side?

Just playing devils advocate like ;-)

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

For the sake of a good arguement. I dont think it does.

I think it represents a time, maybe 30 years ago, and has little relation to an introduction to Northern Soul today.

Not many if any allnighters or soul clubs will be playing a large percentage of those tunes regularly.

Any introduction into Northern Soul in 2008, should include popular oldies currently experiencing a lot of airplay today. 'The Chase Is On' for example. But also include some of the many tracks that are the staple of todays allnighters all over the country, that have been discovered recently.

What is the point of saying massive at the Torch, or a Mecca biggie if the inductees, cant go to the Torch or Mecca. Wouldnt a better intro say current fave at the Wilton, Burnley monster or a top 100 club spin? An introduction of what they would hear were they to step into a club this weekend, would be a much better place to start, and they could learn about the rest once the bug has taken them.

This is just reconstituted tunes with the phalacy that the 3 before 8 are still the last three tunes played. And it doesnt even begin to include the modern side of Northern soul, so how could they leave out something as strong as the modern side?

Just playing devils advocate like ;-)

You might be playing Devil's Advocate Mikey but personally I think there is little to in your argument to disagree with. The release does have little to do with what is being played at today's venues. I can't remember the last time I heard the three before 8 out???

Maybe the record company's should get someone with some knowledge of today's scene to do some releases???

Social source share

Guest bazrico

fook me we have moved on from the the torch,wheel, wigan, va-va, top of world( stafford), catacombs,the carlton club,,the raven,cleo's top rank.

need i say more

I am 58 started back in 1966 on the northern soul scene i just need to hear northern soul music of today had enough of the northern soul music of yester year.

Social source share

fook me we have moved on from the the torch,wheel, wigan, va-va, top of world( stafford), catacombs,the carlton club,,the raven,cleo's top rank.

need i say more

I am 58 started back in 1966 on the northern soul scene i just need to hear northern soul music of today had enough of the northern soul music of yester year.

Was there a NSS in 1966 ? I started venturing out and about in 1965 , and cannot recall it being called that ........

Like Mr Mannion says - it is just a title for a product : it it sells , good luck to the man's endeavours .......

Cleo's Top Rank - was that in Cairo ? .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Wouldnt a better intro say current fave at the Wilton, Burnley monster or a top 100 club spin? An introduction of what they would hear were they to step into a club this weekend, would be a much better place to start, and they could learn about the rest once the bug has taken them.

I for one would be intersted to hear the current tunes you speak of as I can't get to these venues.

Is there someone who could make an attempt at this ???

Social source share

Yes well unfortunately for you moaning sods who are never happy about anything, the records played 30 years ago were in general way better than those played today, so thats why classics keep turning up on cd's isn't it...and not the latest gospel r&b rock & roll record someones playing - because the problem here is that you are all slagging off because of who has put it out. IF it's Roberts or Levine, it's slagged off, if Ady or Richard Searling had put this out, you'd all be brown nosing and back slapping, and don't say you wouldn't.

:wave:

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Jeez... I can't remember the last time I heard any of them records out at a venue... apart from the Charades.

Heard Chuck Wood when I went for my physiotherapy last week though! :wave:

Seven Days Too Long came on my Ipod by Dexys Midnight Runners earlier today. It was just painful.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Yes well unfortunately for you moaning sods who are never happy about anything, the records played 30 years ago were in general way better than those played today, so thats why classics keep turning up on cd's isn't it...and not the latest gospel r&b rock & roll record someones playing - because the problem here is that you are all slagging off because of who has put it out. IF it's Roberts or Levine, it's slagged off, if Ady or Richard Searling had put this out, you'd all be brown nosing and back slapping, and don't say you wouldn't.

brown nose or even back slap Not me its what in the cd that counts years ago it was in the groove that counts how times have moved on

Social source share

brown nose or even back slap Not me its what in the cd that counts years ago it was in the groove that counts how times have moved on

Well what would you put on it to introduce people who've never heard it before? Just because times move on it doesn't mean you have to disregard the past. There are hundreds of compilations featuring just newies.

Social source share

Cleo's Top Rank - was that in Cairo ? .........

Malc Burton

Cleo's was in derby

top rank Hanley stoke on trent

I know - it was a joke , a jape , a jest ........

In the words of Ty Karim " Lighten Up "

Malc Burton

Social source share

:wave:

:( say it like it is Pete :wave:

moaning sods :lol:

Social source share

I agree with the criticisms.

Its not a question of who has put this CD out, it is just another money making scheme amongst so many others by the same crew.

Have a look at the bootlegs on ebay put out by this lot to confirm my point.

Who is 'this lot' it's been put out by Universal, the biggest record company in the world...

Social source share

Yes well unfortunately for you moaning sods who are never happy about anything, the records played 30 years ago were in general way better than those played today, so thats why classics keep turning up on cd's isn't it...and not the latest gospel r&b rock & roll record someones playing - because the problem here is that you are all slagging off because of who has put it out. IF it's Roberts or Levine, it's slagged off,

I think you've just answered your own question-----doesn't take a lot to figure out who is behind this.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Maybe the record company's should get someone with some knowledge of today's scene to do some releases???

I don't work for Universal any more and don't think I didn't mention everything you lot are saying when I worked there..... :thumbup:laugh.gif:lol: Oh well - I did try :lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The various artists are J J & The Barnes ......

Did you not know that Dave ? :lol:

Malc Burton

Another instance of the compiler not proof reading the sleeve notes.....that's why I always read mine before they went to press. Ask Rob Moss about Mrs Al Kent biggrin.gif It wasn't my fault :thumbup:

Social source share

Hit the nail on the head, if Ady or Searling put something like this out, we wouldn't have this thread.

It's all about quality control !!!!

:lol:

Social source share

Another instance of the compiler not proof reading the sleeve notes.....that's why I always read mine before they went to press. Ask Rob Moss about Mrs Al Kent :thumbup: It wasn't my fault :lol:

Was it a case of " Ooh ( I'm A ) Pretty Lady " biggrin.gif .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Right so there are some bizarre choices on the set, I can see that now, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that the tracks below aren't worthy of putting on any Northern compilation

3. Soul Self Satisfaction - Earl Jackson

4. I Got A Feeling - Barbara Randolph

6. He Who Picks A Rose - Jimmy Ruffin

7. Love, Love, Love - Bobby Hebb

10. Friday Night - Johnny Taylor

13. Tainted Love - Gloria Jones

15. At The Discotheque - Chubby Checker

16. Girl Don't Make Me Wait - Bunny Sigler

17. Wear It On Our Face (a/k/a Wear It On Your Face) - The Dells,

19. I've Gotta Get Away - Tommy Good

20. Walk Away From Love - David Ruffin

1. You Didn't Say A Word - Yvonne Baker

2. Night Owl - Bobby Paris

3. Country Girl - Vickie Baines

4. You Just Don't Know (What You Did To Me) - Chubby Checker

6. Picture Me Gone - Evie Sands

7. Ordinary Joe - Terry Callier

8. In Orbit - Joy Lovejoy

9. I'm Gonna Love You A Long Time - Patti & The Emblems

12. Gotta Have Your Love - The Sapphires

14. Key To My Happiness - The Charades

15. I Can't Make It Anymore - Spyder Turner

16. Stop Her On The Sight (S.O.S) - Edwin Starr

19. Dance, Dance, Dance - The Casualeers

21. I Feel So Bad - Jackie Edwards

24. Time Will Pass You By - Tobi Legend

25. I'm On My Way - Dean Parrish

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Was it a case of " Ooh ( I'm A ) Pretty Lady " biggrin.gif .......

Malc Burton

As far as I can remember, Norma became Norman but this was done AFTER I'd signed the proof to say it was OK and done by some short sighted typesetter or whatever they call them these days....Rob Moss gave me a huge bollocking at Stoke saying that I should've proof read my sleeve notes and that Al Kent's wife was really upset..... :lol::lol: Who'd be a fookin' compiler, eh....Rob did see the funny side in the end :lol: So, it doesn't matter HOW careful you are with sleeve notes - some fcuk wit will always snaff things up for you.... :thumbup:

Social source share

For the many people who like Northern Soul but don't want to go to venues, this is a great starting compilation.

Just like my niece, who hears my records and says "This is great! What is it?". She will listen to them, love them, but is not interested in going to the local all nighter, which is the Kestrel Suite incidentally.

I agree with Pete S. These records are far better for her and her like, and are easier to listen to than some of today's plays, that even we have to listen to a few times before we are hooked.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't like funk, gospel, 70s, modern etc, so I don't listen to them, I don't buy them, and I don't go to the venues, but I defend anybody elses right to do so.

Thanks,

Brian

Social source share

Right so there are some bizarre choices on the set, I can see that now, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that the tracks below aren't worthy of putting on any Northern compilation

15. I Can't Make It Anymore - Spyder Turner

If I was to make an introduction CD for anyone, this would be the first choice out of my head for me! :ohmy:

steve

Social source share

Thank God " The Snake " is not on the compilation, It would be enough to put any beginner off for life :ohmy:

Well, the Snake did it for me in 1971 when I went to my local youth club and discovered this brilliant music. And IMHO it still sounds great on the rare times that I play it. I'm sure that there a lot of other people on this site that started their time dancing to it. Great record, great lyrics, and by a great artist.

Not one for the soul snobs though. Not country enough.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I can see all the arguments in favour of this compilation, i don't think anyone would argue any of these tracks aren't classic and great soul music. I'm just wondering what any 'beginner' would think after listening to this and then going along to a soul night or nighter in 2008 where they probably won't here a single track they recognise off this CD (unless they went to Stoke i suppose).

Social source share

Rob Moss gave me a huge bollocking at Stoke saying that I should've proof read my sleeve notes and that Al Kent's wife was really upset..... :lol::yes:

Al Kents wife was Norma Toney.

She wrote the wonderful "You're The Best In The World" Johnnie Taylor

"One More Hurt" David Ruffin

"Unwanted Company" Jeannie Reynolds

"Holding on" Detroit Emeralds

"Someday We'll Have A Better World" Eddie Kendricks

"Deeper And Deeper" Freda Payne

"You Gave Me Something" Bobby Taylor

N. Toney on a record label always denotes a mark of quality to me.

A wonderful lyricist!

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Al Kents wife was Norma Toney.

She wrote the wonderful "You're The Best In The World" Johnnie Taylor

"One More Hurt" David Ruffin

"Unwanted Company" Jeannie Reynolds

"Holding on" Detroit Emeralds

"Someday We'll Have A Better World" Eddie Kendricks

"Deeper And Deeper" Freda Payne

"You Gave Me Something" Bobby Taylor

N. Toney on a record label always denotes a mark of quality to me.

A wonderful lyricist!

:ohmy:

Sean

Exactly - until someone thought she'd look better as a Norman :lol: All I need to do is remember the track on the CD.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert