• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

concerns about over the top bumping in this forum

dont want to go down the road of stricter rules

but will do if it continues

Agreed Mike - it gets plain silly sometimes - maybe you should consider making this a 'sticky' or add it to the important topics at the "Top of the League" Mike... :unsure:

MRez

Social source share

easiest way to do it would be to say no bumping full stop

but as often see on here there are ways around it

and if did have rules saying so and so then it could actually encourage more than get

what's views on having the order of display set by the time the original post was posted ?

Social source share

what's views on having the order of display set by the time the original post was posted ?

Top idea I.M.O.

Too many people selling stuff and then adding on to the bottom of their thread.

Ends up with pages of stuff that have either sold or aren't of interest being dragged back up to the top of the forum.

Social source share

Top idea I.M.O.

Too many people selling stuff and then adding on to the bottom of their thread.

Ends up with pages of stuff that have either sold or aren't of interest being dragged back up to the top of the forum.

I agree. As both buyer and seller it's a pain in the arse. Sales posts less than 24 hrs old have been 'relegated' to too low down to be of any real use whilst old posts, of 50 x's old sales and one or two new ones, are returned to the top and gain what I'm sure people regards as 'second' viewings. As a seller it makes you wanna do the same to compete. I haven't bumped my sales like that but I have bumped my list after a few days, I even felt a twang of guilt doing that. As a buyer it's also a pain. Open a post and either it's the stuff still there from weeks/months ago with a 'ten bobber' added as a bluff or the same post with nothing sold.

Answering questions, updating what's been sold are all valid actions on a sales-list post imo but we all know the ones that "rip the tits out of it". A list of 30 records and a bump of "#2 now on hold" is not really in the spirit is it?

Maybe a 'word' and a stronger hand of the 'Sales Forum' moderators may do the trick without resorting to changing the layout? It's not the layout that's at fault, it's the way it's being used/abused.

Not offered much of a solution there I'm afraid but I hope the input has been of some help in arriving at a conclusion.

Best,

Dave

Social source share

Answering questions, updating what's been sold are all valid actions on a sales-list post imo but we all know the ones that "rip the tits out of it". A list of 30 records and a bump of "#2 now on hold" is not really in the spirit is it?

Best,

Dave

Yes Dave,why cant anybody just edit this rubbish at the bottom of there list.....another thing i dont like,refo-clips without prices on are they thick there is a info box in refo-uploader use it,save us going back and forth to look at prices,what i dont do just dont bother looking Prophonics :thumbsup:

Social source share

quick un!

you can actually set it up to display via "date orignal post" already

if gotto the sales index

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=4

at the bottom right

there is a drop down box

in the box showing

order:

choose

order: topic started

and click the tick box, and press go

the page will reload (first time it shows it be a bit off but ignore that)

click sales link and it will show

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=4

in that order

if anyone wants to give it a go and pass on thoughts be appreciated and helpful

cheers

mike

Social source share

Just did this and it does give you a better view of which lists are the freshest/least viewed/most likely to contain a few bargains. So it's better from a buyer's point of view (so in the end it'll also be better from a seller's point of view).

+ when the section is set up like that you can just post some quick updates without bothering whether you're pushing the boat out a bit too much bump-wise

Social source share

easiest way to do it would be to say no bumping full stop

but as often see on here there are ways around it

and if did have rules saying so and so then it could actually encourage more than get

part of the problem is that so many people are selling now that people's posts instantly disappear. if you have a "no bumping rule" people will artificially bump, e.g. get their friends to post in the thread, etc. It would be good to post some guidelines if you could as to what is "fair" -- e.g. maybe once every day or couple of days, etc.? Thanks.

Social source share

part of the problem is that so many people are selling now that people's posts instantly disappear. if you have a "no bumping rule" people will artificially bump, e.g. get their friends to post in the thread, etc. It would be good to post some guidelines if you could as to what is "fair" -- e.g. maybe once every day or couple of days, etc.? Thanks.

Well the solution Mike's proposed would also solve the problem of posts instantly disappearing imo + it would cancel out the chance to find a way around the guidelines (mates bumping threads etc.)

Just a small afterthought...

The reason why posts are disappearing so quickly is not only because of the excessive bumping of threads. It's also because more and more people are finding their way to this forum/forum section to sell their soul discs. In fact I even think it won't be long before it'll surpass eBay in popularity (I'm only talking about northern soul 45s of course). And this can only be a good thing imo...

Social source share

Well the solution Mike's proposed would also solve the problem of posts instantly disappearing imo + it would cancel out the chance to find a way around the guidelines (mates bumping threads etc.)

Just a small afterthought...

The reason why posts are disappearing so quickly is not only because of the excessive bumping of threads. It's also because more and more people are finding their way to this forum/forum section to sell their soul discs. In fact I even think it won't be long before it'll surpass eBay in popularity (I'm only talking about northern soul 45s of course). And this can only be a good thing imo...

I see the overall problem as the sheer volume of sales. Whichever ones there are, there are a large number to go through at any time and ones from even the same day will get knocked off the page quickly. one thing that maybe would help would be if something is sold to somehow mark the post as such and have it drop off the page. Mike's solution might make it more fair about who gets exposure but it won't address the problem of sales falling off the page quickly due to sheer volume.

Social source share

I see the overall problem as the sheer volume of sales. Whichever ones there are, there are a large number to go through at any time and ones from even the same day will get knocked off the page quickly. one thing that maybe would help would be if something is sold to somehow mark the post as such and have it drop off the page. Mike's solution might make it more fair about who gets exposure but it won't address the problem of sales falling off the page quickly due to sheer volume.

thanks for all views etc posted

it is a user/member run issue this

so all are more than welcome, helpful and appreciated

reference volume - think the tipping point is when get 50+ new sales topics per day

if less than that it means they all appear on the first index page for at least 24 hours

currently quite far off from that , but it may increase

the sorting by date 'first posted' does at moment seem an option that may be worth a trial

will let this thread run for a day more before looking at doing that

Social source share

reference volume - think the tipping point is when get 50+ new sales topics per day

if less than that it means they all appear on the first index page for at least 24 hours

the sorting by date 'first posted' does at moment seem an option that may be worth a trial

I actually thought there were more than 50 a day. it must have been due to the constant bumping of previous day's posts that today's sales fell off. i agree with your idea 100% if there are less than 50 a day.

Social source share

the listing of sales in the order of date posted is probably the best idea Mike.....sooner the better IMO. There's still sales "topics" running that are months old......you'd think the seller would have realised by now no one wants what they have to offer after so long. I get tired of searching through all the "bumped" lists to find the new stuff and just give up. Time for some is limited.

Social source share

the listing of sales in the order of date posted is probably the best idea Mike.....sooner the better IMO. There's still sales "topics" running that are months old......you'd think the seller would have realised by now no one wants what they have to offer after so long. I get tired of searching through all the "bumped" lists to find the new stuff and just give up. Time for some is limited.

What narks me are people who quote a whole sales list of a thousand records just to say "pm'd you" or "list updated".

Sellers - just remove the items you have sold from your original list.

Buyers - just say "pm'd you" without quoting the whole bloody list.

Social source share

What if sellers added the date to the thread title and amended it each day to let people know that the sales list is still active?

Members would then be able to see at a glance what sales are still current and those that are not.

Also changing the thread title to 'closed' or 'ended' once it's finished?

Social source share

What narks me are people who quote a whole sales list of a thousand records just to say "pm'd you" or "list updated".

Sellers - just remove the items you have sold from your original list.

Buyers - just say "pm'd you" without quoting the whole bloody list.

why do they have to say pm'ed you in the first place. The seller will know he or she has a pm :thumbup:

Social source share

Could go all the way with specific sales subsections, would cut down on bumping prob. :D

UK & US Sixties Original Northern Soul 45's & 33's

70's, Modern & Crossover

Misc Reissues/CD/DVD/Tapes

Ska & Reggae (see S.O.J section)

Brilliant Idea Simsy...I personally think this would be the best option...but obviously include an R&B section :thumbup:

Social source share

What if sellers added the date to the thread title and amended it each day to let people know that the sales list is still active?

Members would then be able to see at a glance what sales are still current and those that are not.

Also changing the thread title to 'closed' or 'ended' once it's finished?

all of these wouldn't solve the problem of new sales being pushed off the main page too quickly by bumping though. I think Mike should go with his idea. I also don't like the idea of dividing it into more categories like "crossover" "60s", etc. because music I like falls across the genres and it will just make it more difficult to see everything. Maybe "reggae" is so different that it is less likely the same lists will have reggae and non-reggae but there aren't that many reggae sales anyways.

Social source share

all of these wouldn't solve the problem of new sales being pushed off the main page too quickly by bumping though. I think Mike should go with his idea. I also don't like the idea of dividing it into more categories like "crossover" "60s", etc. because music I like falls across the genres and it will just make it more difficult to see everything. Maybe "reggae" is so different that it is less likely the same lists will have reggae and non-reggae but there aren't that many reggae sales anyways.

Agree many people offer varied stuff in one list. I also buy across the board, so would mean looking through more sections. But I have to say looking at just the last days post the warning is not being listen to by some.

Not a easy thing all round and at the moment the sheer number makes it tricky.

Social source share

again thanks for views/suggestions

on different cats - not sure it would solve the bumping problem but may be something to look at if do hit start hitting that tipping point of over 50+ new threads a day

deleting - maybe better/easier if push for marking sold rather than deleting

display/bumping -what looking at is starting the trial of "displaying via the date topic posted" tomorrow

will give it a run out of 48hrs and see how things go

Social source share

To be honest I have no idea what you mean by 'the problem of new sales being pushed off the main page too quickly by bumping' because I never use the front page.

Although I guess a lot of people do and when you are selling something, being on the front page would probably help. :)

But please can people stop quoting complete sales lists just to post 'pm'd you' laugh.gif

Social source share

I have had my sales page up since January, I bump up for interested parties wanting sound clips and pictures, I can always let the page drift off and start a new but you do get people buying stuff you have had up there for a week or more and not every body looks all the time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert