Headphones?

Pete S

Anyone recommend any decent headphones for a casual user?  All I want them for is to listen to the ipod in bed, not for djing or anything like that.  I have some Sony ones that cost £30 but they aren't very good.  I looked in HMV and there were loads but the prices were up to £300 and I have no idea what makes one set £300 and another £30.  I also think it's a hell of a lot to spend and can't bring myself to do it...but I might spend £75 maybe...any recommendations for a cheapskate?

Social source share

Based on personal experience I can highly recommend these -https://www.whathifi.com/akg/k550/review

I bought them at £100 a couple of years ago and now they can be found even cheaper.  I have some more expensive Sennheisers and the AKG's are better to my ears.  You should be able to audition several different makes/models at your local Richer Sounds showroom and for £70-£80 get a good pair.  I would strongly advise you try before you buy as some headphones may sound great but not be comfortable to wear.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

I use these Pete. Good price, good spec, very comfortable, extension lead very useful. 
Also a lot of the other brands are fashion accessories & you pay top dollar for a name.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-D-1100-Quality-Portable-Headphones-Brand-New-Sealed-Genuine-Silver-/111474915366?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19f46c3826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAEmi5RzM_E

Social source share

Based on personal experience I can highly recommend these -https://www.whathifi.com/akg/k550/review

I bought them at £100 a couple of years ago and now they can be found even cheaper.  I have some more expensive Sennheisers and the AKG's are better to my ears.  You should be able to audition several different makes/models at your local Richer Sounds showroom and for £70-£80 get a good pair.  I would strongly advise you try before you buy as some headphones may sound great but not be comfortable to wear.

Great post, and very good advice. AKG are the dogs.

Social source share

Thanks, I took the advice and I went and actually tried as many as I could with my iphone, the best sound by a mile was from one called Monster DNA so I bought them...except they were double or triple what I really wanted to pay, but they nearly blew my head off when I tested them.

LIke this

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-DNA-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B009P2S4G6

Social source share

Thanks, I took the advice and I went and actually tried as many as I could with my iphone, the best sound by a mile was from one called Monster DNA so I bought them...except they were double or triple what I really wanted to pay, but they nearly blew my head off when I tested them.

LIke this

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-DNA-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B009P2S4

Do they have wires?

:rolleyes:

Social source share

LIke this

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-DNA-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B009P2S4G6

You have sold some great records recently pete so you can go that extra yard with your  buy.....Rob

Social source share

You have sold some great records recently pete so you can go that extra yard with your  buy.....Rob

Do they have wires?

:rolleyes:

Yes. But there are loads of headphones that don't.  Not sure how you test them though.  To match up to your phone I mean, in the shop, if you want to try them out.  Just do a search on Amazon for wireless headphones..

Social source share

Yes. But there are loads of headphones that don't.  Not sure how you test them though.  To match up to your phone I mean, in the shop, if you want to try them out.  Just do a search on Amazon for wireless headphones..

Absolutely mad mate....I ask the kids what I need....bloody tech, I'm useless...probably like everything you get what you pay for.....Rob

Social source share

Anyone recommend any decent headphones for a casual user?  All I want them for is to listen to the ipod in bed, not for djing or anything like that.  I have some Sony ones that cost £30 but they aren't very good.  I looked in HMV and there were loads but the prices were up to £300 and I have no idea what makes one set £300 and another £30.  I also think it's a hell of a lot to spend and can't bring myself to do it...but I might spend £75 maybe...any recommendations for a cheapskate?

sometimes quality but most of the time marketing / trend. kids pay huge sums for Beats by Dre. 

if this is for bed only id recommend the little Sennheisser ear inserts you can get for ten to 20 quid. they have soft rubber sort of cylindrical flaps and are very ergonomic and comfy imho. look on ebay for them.

just dont turn the up too loud for prolonged periods of time if you value your hearing.

Social source share

I picked up a pair of beats headphones when at the airport. I think holiday mode got the better of me and thought sod it, I'll get them. They aren't the bright red silly Dr Dre ones. Just a black pair of headphones. The build quality seems much better than the cheap ones you buy. I quite like them but it is a lot of money to spend! There must be a decent pair you can pick up for around the £40 Mark.

Social source share

Not a great start, these headphones are actually broken in the box, there's no way these are brand new, some of the packaging inside missing too - what a disgrace...45 miles round trip to take them back tomorrow

bloody hell pete thats bad,id give them a right rollicking when you take them back bud if i were you !

jason

Social source share

If you're willing to pay a bit more, I really recommend these by Technics.....I primarily use them for DJ'ing, but they're great for casual listening too. Very comfortable ear pads, good tension in the head band, and an excellent, clear signal. Plus they fold down for easier transportation, if you're on the move.

https://www.djkit.com/technics/technics-rpdj1200-headphones.html

Social source share

have a look on ebay you can pick up some good quality 70's headphones for next to nothing such as sony or wharfedale far better build quality than some of the new stuff in my opinion.

Social source share

Sennheiser great and start about £30 upwards or if you have the cash BOSE.

I have the following two 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002VPDOH8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003LPTAZ2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got both of these headphone makes, for a cheap pair can't beat Sennheiser paid £25 for mine 3 or 4 years ago  & still going strong, had the Bose (these were a pressie) ones about 9 years, use em every night, only had to replace ear cushions (wore them out) stunning sound quality tho' 

Social source share

Bought a set of Denon AH-D2000 a few years ago after trying out numerous pairs in HMV and being utterly blown away by the sound quality of these. 

https://www.trustedreviews.com/Denon-AH-D2000-Headphones-review-denon-ah-d2000-page-2

Was only looking to spend up to c. £100 and the Denon were something like £220, but with hindsight just about the best money I have ever spent - top notch on both hifi and ipod, though there is a fairly chunky cord. 

Can't recommend highly enough - worth every penny  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tell you what I hate most, can anyone relate to this, you go to bed early, lights off, listening to music, then for some reason you open your eyes - and someone is standing there, and you jump in the air and think you're having a heart attack.  Or is that just my missus trying to put the sh*ts up me...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tell you what I hate most, can anyone relate to this, you go to bed early, lights off, listening to music, then for some reason you open your eyes - and someone is standing there, and you jump in the air and think you're having a heart attack.  Or is that just my missus trying to put the sh*ts up me...

Especially disconcerting is the axe in her hand.  Who in their right mind chops wood up in the bedroom?

Edited by Steve S 60
Social source share

Pete , well did you get them changed then , and something for your troubles ?.....Are you near a Richer Sounds, or Superfi , by any chance.....always best to try before you buy if poss.......iv got loads of head phones.....use them from main hi fi, and also all my  mp3 players....even in ear ones while out scooting, from my mp3 player....Also got blue tooth also.....and senn wireless........All got pro,s and con,s  to be honest.......so getting a good price is top for me.....always nice to get a deal......Hope you get sorted.

Social source share

Pete , well did you get them changed then , and something for your troubles ?.....Are you near a Richer Sounds, or Superfi , by any chance.....always best to try before you buy if poss.......iv got loads of head phones.....use them from main hi fi, and also all my  mp3 players....even in ear ones while out scooting, from my mp3 player....Also got blue tooth also.....and senn wireless........All got pro,s and con,s  to be honest.......so getting a good price is top for me.....always nice to get a deal......Hope you get sorted.

Yeah I did mate, I replaced them with a pair which are the same, no apologies from the sop though, they look at you as if you've done it!  Terrible customer service.

Anyway I have to say the results are remarkable.  I put the ipod on random and it played, of all things, Rock On by David Essex - it sounded like a totally new record that I'd never heard before, just couldn't believe the hidden detail it was bringing out.  Playing Dub nearly takes your head off with the bass.  So as a sceptic, I have to say you really do appear to get what you pay for.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Especially disconcerting is the axe in her hand.  Who in their right mind chops wood up in the bedroom?

This is true, the other night I opened my eyes just at the moment she was pulling her top over her head so silhouetted it looked like a f*cking vampire in the doorway...   :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!