Cover Ups : What Was The

Cover Ups ........

Once the de rigeur of the soul scene , but now a rare occurance due to the knowledge of its' clientele , has led me to contemplate the following related questions .........

What was the longest a record was covered before its' true artist / artists and title were revealed , and were / are there any still languishing under a ficticious name and title , that escaped detection ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Cover Ups ........

Once the de rigeur of the soul scene , but now a rare occurance due to the knowledge of its' clientele , has led me to contemplate the following related questions .........

What was the longest a record was covered before its' true artist / artists and title were revealed , and were / are there any still languishing under a ficticious name and title , that escaped detection ?

Malc Burton

would that be little ann -when hes not around,covered as rose valentine and the sisters 3 . 15 years or so i reckon

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

would that be little ann -when hes not around,covered as rose valentine and the sisters 3 . 15 years or so i reckon

Would have to agree .

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Would have to agree .

Tony Coleby

I had considered it to be LA whilst writing the post , but declined to state it , as I knew some clever dickie may play a trump card .......

Any offers above LA ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dante

I had considered it to be LA whilst writing the post , but declined to state it , as I knew some clever dickie may play a trump card .......

Any offers above LA ?

Malc Burton

15 years!!! Wow!

So who played it first and who uncovered it??

Social source share

Think Richard Searling played it first.

But was it really a cover up?

Wasn't it played from an acetate which had no artist name on it anyway.

Not sure who uncovered it though.

So for a 'genuine' cover up where the artist was known what is the longest time.

15 years!!! Wow!

So who played it first and who uncovered it??

Social source share

So for a 'genuine' cover up where the artist was known what is the longest time.

well, if we're going to split hairs, then, how about..... al scott / mr soul - what happened to yesterday - genuine...covered for about the same amount of time as little ann, or the mello souls, covered by butch for about 10 years

Social source share

Not really trying to split hairs but add to the debate.

I can't see how you can cover something up when you don't know who it is in the first place.

But agree Butch's Del Larks / Mello Souls is probably the longest.

well, if we're going to split hairs, then, how about..... al scott / mr soul - what happened to yesterday - genuine...covered for about the same amount of time as little ann, or the mello souls, covered by butch for about 10 years
Social source share

It was Dickie who played it first , and it was an acetate .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Was it from another acetate or a studio master / tapes.?

can't remember the full story but think they played Dave a tape and he told them who it was and he had acetates and studio tapes. If you have the Kent cd Dave Hamilton Dancers it's in the booklet.

Social source share

Cheers Chalky.

Always find the stories behind record finds fascinating.

can't remember the full story but think they played Dave a tape and he told them who it was and he had acetates and studio tapes. If you have the Kent cd Dave Hamilton Dancers it's in the booklet.
Social source share

It was known from the get go who it was. But Richard and John Anderson just kept it a good secret. As with many stories it all gets lost in the mists of time and then changes with time. But Richard had a legit studio disc, which he once showed to me while he was djing at Burntwood Baths allnighter.

With in ten minutes I had forgotten who he said it was and when I went back, he wouldn't give me a second chance :thumbup: .

For a time it got even more confused with the Little Ann bit and was said to be Little Anne Mae (Tina Turner), this rumour had something to do with Ian Clark who, if memory serves me right was offered it first by John Anderson, but turned it down. This was about late Yate time, so would match the time Richard started playing it. Ian told be about this mystery disc, when he came round my house before we both headed off to do the Yate allnighter.

Back top the thread. Didn't Checkerboard Squares stay covered a long time, help by the fact that the bootlegs were pressed using the cover up name.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

and it was Gilly and Tats who found out who it really was on a visit to Dave Hamiltons.

Tats should come on to confirm i guess,but i think the story goes that he and Gilly found it on an acetate in the states,played it in the store at 45rpm,recogonised it as something they knew :thumbup: ,spun it at 33rpm and hey presto!.

Had the honor of touching said disc quite some time back(1992/3),whilst Tats went into orgasm before playing it me biggrin.gif .

Social source share

Think that Sam use to cover up tunes with the names of kids that were in his

class or maybe that's just a NS myth....My top student is Aoife Murphy...Don't think it'd be the same!! :thumbup:

Speaking of that, anyone know what Soul Sam's Rajendra Kumar cover-up is? laugh.gif

Social source share

Tats should come on to confirm i guess,but i think the story goes that he and Gilly found it on an acetate in the states,played it in the store at 45rpm,recogonised it as something they knew :thumbup: ,spun it at 33rpm and hey presto!.

Had the honor of touching said disc quite some time back(1992/3),whilst Tats went into orgasm before playing it me biggrin.gif .

quickly from Gilly's notes on the Kent cd booklet........Tats and Gilly went to the States armed with a tape recording from Sedge of the Rose Valentine cover up. Melvin Davis took them round to Dave Hamilton's house and Dave was playing them some studio tapes and on the tape was the Rose Valentine cover up at an "incorrect" slower speed. Gilly then fetched the tape recording from the car played it Dave and Melvin and Dave said it was too fast and originally recorded slower than the tape suggested. They asked who it was as no one really knew who it was (apart from Richard and John Anderson by the looks of things) and Dave Hamilton confirmed it was Ann Bridgeforth...little Ann.

I've a recording of Gilly's acetate here, one full take on one side. The flip is the band alone for about a minute then a second instrumental with a touch of backing in it, full take but at a quicker speed.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest toby

and it was Gilly and Tats who found out who it really was on a visit to Dave Hamiltons.

Yes it was Chalky,i was out with Gilly last Sunday evening at an event localy to us both,we were out to catch up on old times as you do,and he recalled the story to me in detail,and yes the story is told on the "Dave Hamilton's" dancers CD on Kent.

Toby.

Social source share

quickly from Gilly's notes on the Kent cd booklet........Tats and Gilly went to the States armed with a tape recording from Sedge of the Rose Valentine cover up. Melvin Davis took them round to Dave Hamilton's house and Dave was playing them some studio tapes and on the tape was the Rose Valentine cover up at an "incorrect" slower speed. Gilly then fetched the tape recording from the car played it Dave and Melvin and Dave said it was too fast and originally recorded slower than the tape suggested. They asked who it was as no one really knew who it was (apart from Richard and John Anderson by the looks of things) and Dave Hamilton confirmed it was Ann Bridgeforth...little Ann.

I've a recording of Gilly's acetate here, one full take on one side. The flip is the band alone for about a minute then a second instrumental with a touch of backing in it, full take but at a quicker speed.

i was close :thumbup: .

Social source share

I was going to go with Little Ann as the longest serving C/U ,but then thought , what about Butch's Diane Lewis " You ain't got a chance " ? If this is a C/U and not actually by her then I think it would beat Little Ann ?

As a footnote to the Little Ann story , apparently when told her record had been covered as Rose Valentine , she was so taken with the name she wanted to use it as a stage name , until she was told that there actually was a Rose Valentine out there . Best,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Richard Searlings baby don't you do it. Leo wrright c.up he played that when I first went to a nighter nearly 30 years ago, he told me he could create all sorts of conspiracy theories to who it could be. We did talk about this on here about 5/6 years back, can't recall outcome.

Social source share

Richard Searlings baby don't you do it. Leo wrright c.up he played that when I first went to a nighter nearly 30 years ago, he told me he could create all sorts of conspiracy theories to who it could be. We did talk about this on here about 5/6 years back, can't recall outcome.

Hi Brett , I've got this on a CD credited to United 4 [ penned by Weldon McDougall ] Hope this helps ,Best,Eddie

Social source share

Tats should come on to confirm i guess,but i think the story goes that he and Gilly found it on an acetate in the states,played it in the store at 45rpm,recogonised it as something they knew :rolleyes: ,spun it at 33rpm and hey presto!.

Had the honor of touching said thing quite some time back(1992/3),whilst Tats went into orgasm before me :wicked: .

JESUS I'M GLAD I WASNT THERE :lol::thumbup:

Edited by Life O' Reilly
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Cover Ups ........

Malc Burton

What about Nolan Chance and the Constellations C/U "No one else will do", as played by Carl Fortnum. Same backing as "7 days 52 weeks". Been covered since i frist heard in 90. Is it still covered?

Martyn

Social source share

What about Nolan Chance and the Constellations C/U "No one else will do", as played by Carl Fortnum. Same backing as "7 days 52 weeks". Been covered since i frist heard in 90. Is it still covered?

Martyn

Michael Christian on Concept. First played by Pat Brady , mid 80's.

Social source share

I seem to remember Gilly and Geoff playing 'Rose Valentine' at the 90 or 91 Yarmouth TAC weekender on the site radio and it was still under wraps then. Good weekender that.

Jim :unsure:

I agree !! They were fab weekenders at the Vauxhall.

I was rooting through some papers the other night & came across the official programmes & my membership cards (yep Im a hoarder). Wow ! it took me back. The first programme from March 90 is bright yellow & a bit basic (which is understandable as it was the first weekender) The 2nd programme is of better quality & has stood the test of time. However I do cherish both programmes equally as both weekenders were fab & a real warm up for the wonderful weekenders that were to come at Beacholme in Cleethorpes !

Right back to the subject matter ..... I'm afraid I cant help you out with any C/U's whatsoever so its over & out from me (thank god you say). Cheers Jim for making me smile again about the TAC weekenders.

Ali x

Social source share

I agree !! They were fab weekenders at the Vauxhall.

I was rooting through some papers the other night & came across the official programmes & my membership cards (yep Im a hoarder). Wow ! it took me back. The first programme from March 90 is bright yellow & a bit basic (which is understandable as it was the first weekender) The 2nd programme is of better quality & has stood the test of time. However I do cherish both programmes equally as both weekenders were fab & a real warm up for the wonderful weekenders that were to come at Beacholme in Cleethorpes !

Right back to the subject matter ..... I'm afraid I cant help you out with any C/U's whatsoever so its over & out from me (thank god you say). Cheers Jim for making me smile again about the TAC weekenders.

Ali x

Think I've got everything from the TAC Weekenders. Here's the program for the acts from the first wekender, 1989.....

post-225-1242463739_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Think I've got everything from the TAC Weekenders. Here's the program for the acts from the first wekender, 1989.....

Thats ace Chalky ! A hoarder like me & probably like most folk on here I guess.

I never went to the October ones :shhh: - too cold (joke) but can see that I clearly missed out.

If I had the technology (which I havent yet) I would upload my yellow programme from March 90 for you but seen as you are a fellow hoarder you've most likely got it anyway :sleep3:

Cheers for the image Chalky :D

All the best

Ali x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert