The Salt & Pepper Story

Dave Abbott

The Cheques never had a 45 on Volt it was Stax,but stax told Tony that they did not need his band as they would use there own in house band to do the music,Tony did not agree to there terms and had nothing more to do with the record after that,i`m not sure if it got issued or maybe just the promo stage?.

Tonys other label was "Boss Rock" this was the first 45 the "Cheques" put out,along with another two on Tonys other label "Heatwave"..........

Dave f..........

Dave,

I have the 45 on Boss Rock - songs are "To Stone" / "In The Groove" (the instrumental).

Here's one of the Heatwave 45s

https://cgi.ebay.com/GARAGE-SOUL-45-CHEQUES-DEEPER-FUNKY-MUNKY-HEATWAVE-HEAR_W0QQitemZ390114054827QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item5ad49c12ab

I have another 45 by them but don't remember what it was and where it is. May be the same one in the eBay link.

thanks for posting the info and pics on the S&P band. I can scans and files of the Cheques records if anyone's interested.

Were the Cheques from Alexandria? The BMI publishing on the "To Stone" record was from Bossier City, LA. There's about 100 miles between the cities.

- George

Social source share

Hi Friends,

It is a pleasure to be here! I was reading some of the posts. I sang background and played sax on the records. I can't remember if any of the other guys sang too. We did the old technique of "pinging" track to track back and forth. I am sure the machine was a 2 or 4 track recorded. The studio was Sri Kruong (sp) in Bangkok. I remember we had fun with the Thai engineer. We would move our mouths and not sing and he would start shaking wires like something was wrong with the equipment. We all got a big chuckle out of that.

The photo is Jim Plummer, guitarist, with a stuffed monkey. We had a bungolow off base and that was part of the decor, early ghetto.

Also, in the bottom picture is Clifford Curry, Otis Williams of the Charms and me.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. And yes, Marc Forrest in Germany is a good friend of mine.

All the best,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Hi Steve, great to see you on here my friend!

ATB

Marc

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

Hi Steve..........Glad to see you on here,great photos and info you have supplied,

Tony said you was the showman of the band with your slick routines yes.gif ,

he also said it was you starting the rap on the intro to "Man of my word" thumbsup.gif

Dave f...........

Dave,

A little tid bit about Tony. He is a master at the B-3 Hammond Organ. I just thought that I would add that for all of you keyboard fans. He's probably to humble to talk about it, but I don't know of any better.

Steve

Social source share

Dave,

A little tid bit about Tony. He is a master at the B-3 Hammond Organ. I just thought that I would add that for all of you keyboard fans. He's probably to humble to talk about it, but I don't know of any better.

Steve

Steve,yes Tony told me about his collection of old keyboards and cars,also talking about the old days with "Salt & Pepper and the "Cheques",Tony said he wrote the music first for "Man of my word" and Eddie added the words after,Tony is a real gent and like you say quite humble about it all,Tony said he would love to come over with you guys to the Uk and play at a weekender or something,here`s Tony and his wife having a beer in my front room at the weekend,it was quite a surreal moment for me yes.gif

Dave f................

post-2848-12584809404353_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Are the Cheques on Hip "Sweet Sally Brown" the same group as the Cheques on Heatwave? I seem to recall that Hip was a Memphis label, possibly Stax-related.

Yes that`s the the one,but i know Tony had nothing to do with

the 45 (see my earlier post),he said it was Stax that approched them..........

Dave f.......

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

I just found Jim Plummer in Maine, USA. Jim was the guitar player in the band. I haven't seen Jim since 1970 when we left Thailand. I directed him to the site here and the interest that you all have about "Salt & Pepper" and he is estatic! He comment was "I want be able to sleep a wink tonight". Thanks to you all, four of us out of the six are back in touch and are thinking about a reunion. We would somehow like to do it there for you all since it was the interest of this group that has re-united us. I am saddened that our bassist Dan Sullivan has passed. He would have loved this! If we do a reunion, Tony will probably kick bass pedals on the keys. Dan will be there in spirit. As we say in the South, "Thanks Ya'll".

Steve

Social source share

I just found Jim Plummer in Maine, USA. Jim was the guitar player in the band. I haven't seen Jim since 1970 when we left Thailand. I directed him to the site here and the interest that you all have about "Salt & Pepper" and he is estatic! He comment was "I want be able to sleep a wink tonight". Thanks to you all, four of us out of the six are back in touch and are thinking about a reunion. We would somehow like to do it there for you all since it was the interest of this group that has re-united us. I am saddened that our bassist Dan Sullivan has passed. He would have loved this! If we do a reunion, Tony will probably kick bass pedals on the keys. Dan will be there in spirit. As we say in the South, "Thanks Ya'll".

Steve

That is Absolutely Fantastic, Steve!!

Best

Dave

Social source share

Errrr.....very interesting reading and all that......and don't want to cause offence to anyone, BUT, am I the only one who thinks this record is pants? :chinstroke:

Phil.

I'm not being funny Phil, but was that really necessary?

I haven't seen you post your thoughts up on any of the other threads that have discussed this tune. Including, I might add, the Burnley allnighter lookback.

Everybody knows that 'pants' is my favourite word, but even I would refrain from using it on a thread that isn't so much about the record but more about the story behind the group and how the recording came about.

Not to mention the fact that one of the artists is on here. A bit disrespectful don't you think?

As for the record itself, it is far from pants!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

An incredible touching story and surely what it is all about -great pics and commentry -id love the sight to focus more on stuff like this as opposed to whos playing what [yawn yawn]surely its about the creators of the music ?

WELCOME TO THE SITE AND DAVE FANTASTIC STORY -KEEP THE PICS AND COMMENTRY COMING!!!

BAZ A

PS I THINK MAN OF MY WORD IS A INCREDIBLE RECORD SOUNDED AWESOME AT LIFELINE LOUD !!!

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Errrr.....very interesting reading and all that......and don't want to cause offence to anyone, BUT, am I the only one who thinks this record is pants? :chinstroke:

Phil.

Yes, probably.... and indeed, totally unnecessary...

When you start releasing records of your own as good as this Phil maybe you can start criticizing the artists online !

Thought you would love it being a fan of the ultra-rare !

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

Yes, probably.... and indeed, totally unnecessary...

When you start releasing records of your own as good as this Phil maybe you can start criticizing the artists online !

Thought you would love it being a fan of the ultra-rare !

Why is it ok for everyone else to voice their oppinion on here and not me? I said I wasn't trying to upset anyone, I just don't get the record and I'm entitled to my opinion. No one gives a s**t about people slagging William Powell's singing, just because he isn't on the forum. I suppose you would all be saying what a wonderfull record it is if he were. Maybe he is, and you've all upset him. And the fact is, I'm in to Northern Soul, and to me Man of My Word isn't.

Phil.

Social source share

Why is it ok for everyone else to voice their oppinion on here and not me? I said I wasn't trying to upset anyone, I just don't get the record and I'm entitled to my opinion. No one gives a s**t about people slagging William Powell's singing, just because he isn't on the forum. I suppose you would all be saying what a wonderfull record it is if he were. Maybe he is, and you've all upset him. And the fact is, I'm in to Northern Soul, and to me Man of My Word isn't.

Phil.

Phil, I like "Man of my word" - vocals are great and the rhythm is tight and very catchy.

WIlliam Powell to me is just a thumping monotonous dirge where the singer just sings the title a hundred times over. There I've said it now, and I'd say the same if William was on here. Point is we all like different things.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Phil.

Take no notice Phil, it's a bloody forum not a kindergarten, if you don't like it you are perfectly allowed to say so, I also found it as dull as ditchwater, 20 years ago this would have never been played because it wouldn't have been deemed good enough - not as a Northern Soul record anyway, not saying it's a bad record but it's not a good Northern record.

Social source share

Phil.

the man has a point, he is implying he does not like the record, albeit the forum isnt about whether or not the record is good or total shite, but i do wonder if the william powell slagging brigade would tell him on here his record was 'pants'......I doubt itshades.gif

btw it took about 10 plays for me to sort of like itlaugh.gif nice story thoughwink.gif

Social source share

the man has a point, he is implying he does not like the record, albeit the forum isnt about whether or not the record is good or total shite, but i do wonder if the william powell slagging brigade would tell him on here his record was 'pants'......I doubt itshades.gif

btw it took about 10 plays for me to sort of like itlaugh.gif nice story thoughwink.gif

I would have thought anyone who prefers this to William Powell was the victim of a cruel medical experiment.

Social source share

I don't know that this particular thread is the correct place to state that you think the record is substandard.

When the artists behind the music have taken the time and effort to come into our world I think it's actually really bad manners to stroke one's own ego by stating that you consider their work to be "pants" in what is in essence a conversation between strangers.

This thread is a way of welcoming one of the artists who provided the music that keeps our scene going. Who could blame them for feeling confused when the elation of finding out that forty years after that music is made it is appreciated half a world away turns to something else when there are dissenting voices.

Yes, it is a forum and differences in opinion are what makes it hang together, but there are ways of doing things which sometimes leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

For what it's worth I think it's a really good record and one which stands out when played in clubs. It has presence and that's important. If you've ever sat down and played one hundred obscure and unknown soul records one after the other you'd appreciate that this is actually more than a pretty good record: the singing is truly excellent and the whole thing has a personality and charm all of its' own.

Social source share

I don't know that this particular thread is the correct place to state that you think the record is substandard.

When the artists behind the music have taken the time and effort to come into our world I think it's actually really bad manners to stroke one's own ego by stating that you consider their work to be "pants" in what is in essence a conversation between strangers.

This thread is a way of welcoming one of the artists who provided the music that keeps our scene going. Who could blame them for feeling confused when the elation of finding out that forty years after that music is made it is appreciated half a world away turns to something else when there are dissenting voices.

Yes, it is a forum and differences in opinion are what makes it hang together, but there are ways of doing things which sometimes leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

For what it's worth I think it's a really good record and one which stands out when played in clubs. It has presence and that's important. If you've ever sat down and played one hundred obscure and unknown soul records one after the other you'd appreciate that this is actually more than a pretty good record: the singing is truly excellent and the whole thing has a personality and charm all of its' own.

Yes you're right that it's the wrong thread to discuss the merits of the record (unless of course you say you like it) so why not someone open a thread in Look At Your Box instead?

Social source share

sycophants .... ive heard hell of a lot better that didnt warrant all this talk on a thred , just an opinion

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

What about, if you cant say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

I think its a fantastic record, and blew my socks off when first heard it down the 100 club.

It's nice to be nice rolleyes.gif

Social source share

sycaphants .... ive heard hell of a lot beter that didnt warant all this talk on a thred , just an opinion

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Like it or not this is one of the biggest records on the scene at the moment. On top of that we have one of the members of the group that recorded it taking the time to come on this forum to give us an insight into its rather unusual history and other recollections of his time in the industry. As lovers and collectors of Rare Soul this is as good as it gets basically.

How many times has that happened on this forum? less than a handful probably. The rest of the time we're subjected to threads that are too often dreary and banal.

Given such a coup it seems laughable that some members think the thread is the ideal place to give their negative opinions on the record.

I wouldn't be surprised if that as a result of such comments Steve told us to stick it where the sun don't shine. Which would be a shame as we'd potentially miss out on a lot of valuable first hand knowledge about the music we all love from someone who was responsible for making some of it.

Social source share

Dave, thanks a lot for sharing the story, and Steve, great to hear from one of the members behind this fantastic soul record!

This (Man of my word) has been one of my favourite tunes since I got an mp3 some years ago.

And hearing Butch play it «live» at Oslo Soul Experiences 6 years anniversary this year, made it even better. :thumbsup:

Social source share

sycaphants .... ive heard hell of a lot beter that didnt warant all this talk on a thred , just an opinion

I think the Sweeney brothers say it all, respect costs little,

You obviously read as bad you write, another example of people dragging this fantastic resource down.

Fairly shameful mate, hope you are happy.

Social source share

Phil.

You didn't say anything on the Burnley look back when we were all discussing Butch playing it.

Where was your opinion then Phil?

Social source share

You didn't say anything on the Burnley look back when we were all discussing Butch playing it.

Where was your opinion then Phil?

Sorry Joan, but it wasn't mentioned on that thread. And believe me, I wish I hadn't voiced my opinion on this one. No wonder lots of people say to me that they daren't post on this Forum. God, all I said was I don't get the record, I wasn't insulting anyone.

Phil.

Social source share

Hello to all you folks. I'm Tony Nardi (along with my wife, Karla). I was keyboardist and leader of both Salt & Pepper and the Cheques, and co-author of Man of My Word.

We are totally humbled, honored, and grateful for the appreciation we're getting after 40 years! As for Phil, no hard feelings man. I don't like everything I hear either. Like Steve said, four of the original members want to come to Europe and play some gigs - sometime in 2010. We couldn't have imagined this in a million years. This is a whole new world for us (the Northern Soul scene) and we are very excited to be part of it.

Of all that I've read, the only fact that hasn't already been corrected is that "In the Groove" is not an instrumental. It has vocals. It was the first one recorded by The Cheques back in 1967 on Boss Rock label. This was Not My label, but the label used by the little recording studio in Shreveport, Louisiana. Subsequent recordings were on my Heatwave Label. Until we got a recording contract with Stax records out of Memphis. Since we were "white", we didn't get to be on the Stax label, but instead we were on their subsidiary label "Hip". This was reserved for their white acts. Shortly after we landed this recording contract, Mike Ventimiglia (the charismatic singer) was shipped to Vietnam. Stax did not let us play the music on the stuff they did. They used their own studio band and we could only do the vocals - which was 90% Mike. We all kind of lost enthusiasm for it because of that. The Cheques were all GI's (except for the bass player, Sammie Ryland) stationed at England Air force base in Alexandria, Louisiana. A few months later, I got shipped to Thailand and formed Salt & Pepper.

When I got out of the military in 1970, I knew music was going to be my life. And it has been. It has always been my main occupation and I've managed to work steady all these years. God willing, I'm not done yet. Eddie Mobley and I have stayed lifelong friends. He's sang with me on many occasions over the years, and even sang at my daughter's wedding in Fort Collins, Colorado, this summer. He sounds as good as ever, and the magic was still there between us. It was a thrill! Nobody sings like Eddie.

I recently came over and met Dave Fleming. We really can't say enough about Dave and his wife. They are wonderful folks! We understand a bit more about the soul scene there, because of Dave and his fabulous collection. What a treat!

Thanks again to all of you - hope to stay connected.

Tony & Karla Nardi

Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello to all you folks. I'm Tony Nardi (along with my wife, Karla). I was keyboardist and leader of both Salt & Pepper and the Cheques, and co-author of Man of My Word.

We are totally humbled, honored, and grateful for the appreciation we're getting after 40 years! As for Phil, no hard feelings man. I don't like everything I hear either. Like Steve said, four of the original members want to come to Europe and play some gigs - sometime in 2010. We couldn't have imagined this in a million years. This is a whole new world for us (the Northern Soul scene) and we are very excited to be part of it.

Of all that I've read, the only fact that hasn't already been corrected is that "In the Groove" is not an instrumental. It has vocals. It was the first one recorded by The Cheques back in 1967 on Boss Rock label. This was Not My label, but the label used by the little recording studio in Shreveport, Louisiana. Subsequent recordings were on my Heatwave Label. Until we got a recording contract with Stax records out of Memphis. Since we were "white", we didn't get to be on the Stax label, but instead we were on their subsidiary label "Hip". This was reserved for their white acts. Shortly after we landed this recording contract, Mike Ventimiglia (the charismatic singer) was shipped to Vietnam. Stax did not let us play the music on the stuff they did. They used their own studio band and we could only do the vocals - which was 90% Mike. We all kind of lost enthusiasm for it because of that. The Cheques were all GI's (except for the bass player, Sammie Ryland) stationed at England Air force base in Alexandria, Louisiana. A few months later, I got shipped to Thailand and formed Salt & Pepper.

When I got out of the military in 1970, I knew music was going to be my life. And it has been. It has always been my main occupation and I've managed to work steady all these years. God willing, I'm not done yet. Eddie Mobley and I have stayed lifelong friends. He's sang with me on many occasions over the years, and even sang at my daughter's wedding in Fort Collins, Colorado, this summer. He sounds as good as ever, and the magic was still there between us. It was a thrill! Nobody sings like Eddie.

I recently came over and met Dave Fleming. We really can't say enough about Dave and his wife. They are wonderful folks! We understand a bit more about the soul scene there, because of Dave and his fabulous collection. What a treat!

Thanks again to all of you - hope to stay connected.

Tony & Karla Nardi

Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA

Hi Tony. Welcome to the site, thanks so much for posting. Who were all the vocalists of the Cheques? Thanks in advance.

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

Hi friends,

Please don't give Phil a hard time about his comments about our record! I've heard better and I've heard worse. Just remember, we were six young guys sent to a foreign country to fight a war. We had all played in bands before the military and we all had a love for soul music. We weren't trying to be hitmakers or anything like that. Just 6 homesick guys that bonded through the music. We brought a little joy to those around us and a whole lot of joy to ourselves. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that many of you like the record is quite an honor.

Phil, it doesn't upset me at all that you don't agree. That's o.k. You are an honest guy and I can apprecitate that. I hope that we come to England some day and you and I can sit down and have a beer together. I think that it would be the beginning of a great friendship. So ya'll lighten up on my buddy!

Regards,

Steve Jarrell

Social source share

I'm not being funny Phil, but was that really necessary?

I haven't seen you post your thoughts up on any of the other threads that have discussed this tune. Including, I might add, the Burnley allnighter lookback.

Everybody knows that 'pants' is my favourite word, but even I would refrain from using it on a thread that isn't so much about the record but more about the story behind the group and how the recording came about.

Not to mention the fact that one of the artists is on here. A bit disrespectful don't you think?

As for the record itself, it is far from pants!

Well said Joan, i think your right the thread has evolved it's more about the group the history and our interst beyond the record Incidently i haven't heard it yet but this is certainly a heart warming thread:thumbup:

DJ

Social source share

Hi Tony. Welcome to the site, thanks so much for posting. Who were all the vocalists of the Cheques? Thanks in advance.

Lead Vocalist was Mike Ventimiglia. He sang the lead on every song. The rest of us (Tony Nardi, Matthew Joshua or Wayne Pagels, Sammie Ryland, and Chuck Parrino) sang back up vocals.

Social source share

The lead singer was Mike Ventimiglia. He sang all the lead vocals. The rest of us ( Tony Nardi, Matthew Joshua or Wayne Pagels, Sammie Ryland, & Chuck Parrino) sang back-up vocals.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Hi friends,

Please don't give Phil a hard time about his comments about our record! I've heard better and I've heard worse. Just remember, we were six young guys sent to a foreign country to fight a war. We had all played in bands before the military and we all had a love for soul music. We weren't trying to be hitmakers or anything like that. Just 6 homesick guys that bonded through the music. We brought a little joy to those around us and a whole lot of joy to ourselves. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that many of you like the record is quite an honor.

Phil, it doesn't upset me at all that you don't agree. That's o.k. You are an honest guy and I can apprecitate that. I hope that we come to England some day and you and I can sit down and have a beer together. I think that it would be the beginning of a great friendship. So ya'll lighten up on my buddy!

Regards,

Steve Jarrell

Pure Class. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve & Tony

I can only thank you both for being part of what has truly become one of my favourite records of all time, even in the short time I've been aware of it. I remember approaching the DJ the first time I ever heard 'Man Of My Word'.

My only regret is that I'll never own a copy, but everyone I've ever played it to has been blown away by the track. It is as near perfect a soul record as they come. Simple, laid back groove, gritty vocals, great sax hook. What's not to like?!

Such superlative records are very few and far between. It's a shame you never cut more since I'd love to hear what the rest of your repertoire was like!!

Much thanks.

Matt.

Edited by mattbolton
Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

Hey Steve & Tony

I can only thank you both for being part of what has truly become one of my favourite records of all time, even in the short time I've been aware of it. I remember approaching the DJ the first time I ever heard 'Man Of My Word'.

My only regret is that I'll never own a copy, but everyone I've ever played it to has been blown away by the track. It is as near perfect a soul record as they come. Simple, laid back groove, gritty vocals, great sax hook. What's not to like?!

Such superlative records are very few and far between. It's a shame you never cut more since I'd love to hear what the rest of your repertoire was like!!

Much thanks.

Matt.

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for the nice post. Once again, I am truly amazed that this record would show up after 40 years!

Best wishes,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Is this the same group, I was watching it on the bay aad was gonna ask before bidding on it then totally forgot about it and Adys post just reminded me ph34r.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!