Christmas Help For A Mate Of All Of Ours

Pete S

Hi, I wasn't going to do this but sod it, why not:

many of you who get my lists, especially those of you in the Uk, will know John Porteus better known as Johnny Fingers. This guy is one of the nicest blokes on the Northern scene, has a phenomenal collection and is a top bloke and DJ. He helped me out in a time of real crisis and he'd never even met me before. Anyway from reading inbetween the lines, it looks like he may lose his house in january and is having to sell his beloved records so I just thought I would try and see if I could do anything about it, so, begging bowl in hand, I am going to ask anyone who knows John, if you can spare a fiver, a tenner or even more, could you donate it so's at least we can give him a helping hand?

I should have done this weeks ago but I didn't, but it's been playing on my mind ever since.

If you could spare anything for one of the nicest guys in the scene it would be wonderful, pay it into my paypal account pete.smith@freeuk.com and just mark it Fingers, I'll hand over every single penny and show everyone the receipts so don't worry about him not receiving it. (If you haven't got paypal you could always do it via card through me, I have facilities, you'll get a receipt :-))

I really apologise to anyone who finds this sort of thing offensive or in bad taste but it's the only way I can think of to help out a mate so just bin it if it's not applicable to you, but if you can help, it would be a wonderful gesture for Christmas.

thanks for reading anyway

best wishes

pete smith

planet records

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 287
  • Views 23.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

many of you who get my lists, especially those of you in the Uk, will know John Porteus better known as Johnny Fingers.  This guy is one of the nicest blokes on the Northern scene, has a phenomenal collection and is a top bloke and DJ.  He helped me out in a time of real crisis and he'd never even met me before.  Anyway from reading inbetween the lines, it looks like he may lose his house in january and is having to sell his beloved records so I just thought I would try and see if I could do anything about it, so, begging bowl in hand, I am going to ask anyone who knows John, if you can spare a fiver, a tenner or even more, could you donate it so's at least we can give him a helping hand?

I should have done this weeks ago but I didn't, but it's been playing on my mind ever since.

If you could spare anything for one of the nicest guys in the scene it would be wonderful, pay it into my paypal account pete.smith@freeuk.com and just mark it Fingers, I'll hand over every single penny and show everyone the receipts so don't worry about him not receiving it.

I really apologise to anyone who finds this sort of thing offensive or in bad taste but it's the only way I can think of to help out a mate so just bin it if it's not applicable to you, but if you can help, it would be a wonderful gesture for Christmas.

best wishes

pete smith

planet records

not offensive at all pete..like you say hes an all round top bloke and has helped many of us with deals on records etc

ill sort mine out tonight

regards moldie

Social source share

Pete, is it better to send paypal as a gift to avoid cots, I'm afraid I don't know hpw that's done, any advice? Dean

Yes on the paypal page, you click SEND MONEY and there are two tabs, PURCHASE and PERSONAL, if you pick personal it should let you send as a gift though this can be temperamental as I sent 75 to someone yesterday and it charged me 2 quid something.

Social source share

Thanks, everyone!

Have also posted out to my mailing list so there's another 1800 people reading it, tell your mates, we might be able to sort this before John gets back on and bollocks me. laugh.gif

£274

Pete...Pm me how to mate...u know how teccky phobe i am please...am off out in a moment AGAIN!!!...but will sort out when i get back please....Del...xxxx

Social source share

The above should read "Trying to PM you Pete".

How the hell does the PM'ing thingy work?.

I think I've only ever used it to reply to a Pm.

Pete, maybe you could pm me and I'll reply.

Help please!!!!

KTF.

Drew.

Drew, if you click on someones name above their avatar, you will go to their profile.

On the left is a list which includes "send me a message", just click on it.

-Kev

Social source share

Mines sent Pete

And if and when Johhny does read this thread, I dont know you personaly Johhny, but as part of the biggest and nicest family I've ever known, I realy do hope we have helped you out of this situation someway , forgive the punn but it must be soul destroying, keep your chin up and lets hope things turn around very soon my friend.

Nice one Pete, good.gif

Social source share

Mines sent Pete

And if and when Johhny does read this thread, I dont know you personaly Johhny, but as part of the biggest and nicest family I've ever known, I realy do hope we have helped you out of this situation someway , forgive the punn but it must be soul destroying, keep your chin up and lets hope things turn around very soon my friend.

Nice one Pete, good.gif

Same goes from me Johnny, sold up a few times to save a roof over my head so been there.

think most people on here can relate to it.

all the best

steve

Social source share

What a lovely gesture pete, only met john a couple of times, was at the sixhills allnighter, me di n johnny were just generally chatting about records, di was telling him how she was looking for a copy of CAVALIERS-I REALLY LOVE YOU, and guess what wednesday the next week a nice mint black issue plopped through our door & he point blankley refuses to take any payment saying its a donation to di`s djing career, this really touched us both we will be donating pete keep it going mate and well done-HARRY & DIANE

AND A VERY MERRY XMAS TO YOU AND YOURS PETE:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Not everyone does the paypal thingy so with petes, and gary and linda farringtons permission.On sat 2nd jan at the metz club crewe linda and gary are havein a weddin anniversary niter which is free admission,so.We will raffle of some prizes all proceeds to petes fund,i will throw in free passes to all our events for 2010.Anyone who wants to chip can contact me or gary .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Not everyone does the paypal thingy so with petes, and gary and linda farringtons permission.On sat 2nd jan at the metz club crewe linda and gary are havein a weddin anniversary niter which is free admission,so.We will raffle of some prizes all proceeds to petes fund,i will throw in free passes to all our events for 2010.Anyone who wants to chip can contact me or gary .

Brilliant, thank you Andy (& Gary)

Social source share

What a lovely gesture pete, only met john a couple of times, was at the sixhills allnighter, me di n johnny were just generally chatting about records, di was telling him how she was looking for a copy of CAVALIERS-I REALLY LOVE YOU, and guess what wednesday the next week a nice mint black issue plopped through our door & he point blankley refuses to take any payment saying its a donation to di`s djing career, this really touched us both we will be donating pete keep it going mate and well done-HARRY & DIANE

AND A VERY MERRY XMAS TO YOU AND YOURS PETE:thumbup:

That's a great story and it's obviously typical of the man and it's why I wanted to do this, and I don't know where he is today but Simsy suggested doing it weeks ago so credit to him too, I'll post a new total up soon, thanks guys and thanks everyone

p.s. can someone go to Tesco for me as I'm too busy doing this now!

Social source share

many of you who get my lists, especially those of you in the Uk, will know John Porteus better known as Johnny Fingers. This guy is one of the nicest blokes on the Northern scene, has a phenomenal collection and is a top bloke and DJ. He helped me out in a time of real crisis and he'd never even met me before. Anyway from reading inbetween the lines, it looks like he may lose his house in january and is having to sell his beloved records so I just thought I would try and see if I could do anything about it, so, begging bowl in hand, I am going to ask anyone who knows John, if you can spare a fiver, a tenner or even more, could you donate it so's at least we can give him a helping hand?

If you could spare anything for one of the nicest guys in the scene it would be wonderful, pay it into my paypal account pete.smith@freeuk.com and just mark it Fingers, I'll hand over every single penny and show everyone the receipts so don't worry about him not receiving it. (If you haven't got paypal you could always do it via card through me, I have facilities, you'll get a receipt :-))

best wishes

pete smith

planet records

Hi Pete thanks for sorting this out a great thing to do . I like a lot of people know Johnnie see him around at various venues he always has a smile and it is awfull what he is going through . I hope we can all raise something to help at this bad time . Steve h

Social source share

Well done Pete!

I was going to get a bollocking anyway for overspending on vinyl. :laugh:

I can do without the latest intended buy.

- Kev

And having just re-read Fingers post on Simon's "Soulies needing a hand"" thread, I've also sent a PM to (hopefully) keep his spirits up.

It's so heart warming to be reminded that the spirit of Christmas is alive and well in Soul-land.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Just to show how us soulies pull together, in the 3 hours since I posted this, 42 different people have contributed, one person is raising funds by other means and one person has even donated a record for me to sell on my list and hand over the profits. Bloody superb.

Social source share

Guest matt tees

Johnnie Fingers without doubt one of the nicest, genuine and well respected guys on this earth who would do anything for anyone so what a lovely gesture to help the Big Man out. Well done Pete for starting this up.

Social source share

Just to show how us soulies pull together, in the 3 hours since I posted this, 42 different people have contributed, one person is raising funds by other means and one person has even donated a record for me to sell on my list and hand over the profits. Bloody superb.

That's a fantastic response Pete!

But if you're reading this for the first time, don't think that all is OK now - I don't know the guy but by all accounts Fingers has had the bailiffs around and loses his house on 4th Jan.

Keep it coming. :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert