Peanut Duck By Marsha Gee

ImberBoy

PEANUT DUCK by Marsha Gee

I first heard this track whilst on a scooter rally in the middle of a field in Germany, my mate new it off by heart and went into this craze dance flapping his arms and shouting the words as if it was the best record he had ever heard.

Later I was to meet a Mod in Camden Town who told me tales of acetates and cover ups, he loved this record and hinted that it may be some one else sing to this record whilst under the influence of chemicals or booze, lack of sleep or all three?

I can find a clip on youtube and I don't have the record, I kinda like it but love the fact that there are some who adore it.

I do have a scratchy file of it some where?

Quack, quack, quackgiggy, quackgiggy, brrrrrrrrr, quack, quack, giggy, giggy, gi-gi-gi-giggy-gooma, gi-gi-gi-gi-gi quackgiggy, quackgiggy, gi-gig-goom, gi-gig-goom, gi-gig-goom-goom"

https://easydreamer.blogspot.com/2006/10/marsha-gee-peanut-duck-mp3.html

Social source share

I first heard this track whilst on a scooter rally in the middle of a field in Germany, my mate new it off by heart and went into this craze dance flapping his arms and shouting the words as if it was the best record he had ever heard.

Later I was to meet a Mod in Camden Town who told me tales of acetates and cover ups, he loved this record and hinted that it may be some one else sing to this record whilst under the influence of chemicals or booze, lack of sleep or all three?

I can find a clip on youtube and I don't have the record, I kinda like it but love the fact that there are some who adore it.

I do have a scratchy file of it some where?

Quack, quack, quackgiggy, quackgiggy, brrrrrrrrr, quack, quack, giggy, giggy, gi-gi-gi-giggy-gooma, gi-gi-gi-gi-gi quackgiggy, quackgiggy, gi-gig-goom, gi-gig-goom, gi-gig-goom-goom"

THE PEANUT DUCK -

biggrin.gif

Social source share

It's one of my favourites, great record in my opinion. :thumbup:

It's one of those divisive records....I was a regular at TOTW Stafford where it was first played and what a massive floor filler it was!

It's got that hypnotic repetitive tune going all the way through it...still has me hooked. OK lyrics aren't that great but what a dancer!

You either love or loath it...persoanlly i love it!

Quack quack peanut duck!

By the way it isn't really Marsh Gee is it?

That was the cover and pressing title artist of a never released tune wasn't it?

It's really an unknown artist I believe...put me right you people of greater knowledge if I'm wrong!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

I've said it before on a previous thread .

One record that should have been left to rot.

No one knows who it actually is but imo it should have been left to stagnate under the pile of duck shit that covered it in the first place.

Quack quack - and people moan about Wigan pop shite.innocent.gif

Remove the vocal and you have a half decent sound.

Garbage of the first order otherwise.

It's one of those divisive records....I was a regular at TOTW Stafford where it was first played and what a massive floor filler it was!

It's got that hypnotic repetitive tune going all the way through it...still has me hooked. OK lyrics aren't that great but what a dancer!

You either love or loath it...persoanlly i love it!

Quack quack peanut duck!

By the way it isn't really Marsh Gee is it?

That was the cover and pressing title artist of a never released tune wasn't it?

It's really an unknown artist I believe...put me right you people of greater knowledge if I'm wrong!

Social source share

As someone said the lyrics aren't all that great (they're terrible really) and probably the reason why the things was never released. I do love the rythym track though as it's pure Northern Soul to my ears. Top sound at TOTW for Guy & Keb - think Guy played the vocal and Keb the instrumental.

Mick

Social source share

UNKNOWN - PEANUT DUCK INSTRUMENTAL - UNISSUED VIRTUE RECORDING -

Chakly, or Chalky even, thanks for that, I've been after it for years. Pretty boring because of the repetitiveness unfortunately but remember that Harthon acetate of the If You Can't Be True instrumental I sold last year, that was even more boring, at one point they play the same 4 bars for about a minute. Laws Of Love instrumental is pretty boring too.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Chakly, or Chalky even, thanks for that, I've been after it for years. Pretty boring because of the repetitiveness unfortunately but remember that Harthon acetate of the If You Can't Be True instrumental I sold last year, that was even more boring, at one point they play the same 4 bars for about a minute. Laws Of Love instrumental is pretty boring too.

no probs Pete, I saw you ask for it a whilke back, that was when I posted it but you must have missed it. Is the IYCBT instrumental on here?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

no probs Pete, I saw you ask for it a whilke back, that was when I posted it but you must have missed it. Is the IYCBT instrumental on here?

I think so, I had to edit it so that the buyer had exclusivity but I must have put at least half of it up, if not, I'll see if I've still got it

Social source share

I can't believe that I am going to say this out loud, I totally love this record in an irrational sort of Northern soul way, I do think that this was one of those had to be there records.

Strutting my stuff to this on the dancefloor next to Big Kenny and Lennie (RIP) one week, to see Lennie with flippers another week, integrity and fun, it does work!

It is a monumental piece of dance of music is what I keep telling myself, hiding from the obvious fact this was probably as much about Kebs persona as a DJ

Memories, if only we could hold on to them for longer than 10 minutes these days!

Social source share

Johnny Beggs was involved in making a dance record in 1990 that sampled the main intro from Peanut Duck called 'Check me at the top'.

It's a totally mad but infectious record...not Northern of course.

A few record companies showed interest at the time, but nothing ever materialised with it...one company sent Beggsy a letter saying all the office staff were bouncing around like lunatics when they played it:lol:

Even more bizzare, some-one told Johnny they heard it played in a clothes shop in London a year os so back...and the girl working in the shop was singing it word for word.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I can't believe that I am going to say this out loud, I totally love this record in an irrational sort of Northern soul way, I do think that this was one of those had to be there records.

Strutting my stuff to this on the dancefloor next to Big Kenny and Lennie (RIP) one week, to see Lennie with flippers another week, integrity and fun, it does work!

It is a monumental piece of dance of music is what I keep telling myself, hiding from the obvious fact this was probably as much about Kebs persona as a DJ

Memories, if only we could hold on to them for longer than 10 minutes these days!

Dont forget Lennies tin hat,bomber brigade painted on the front,he got the tube,and the train all the way there in these flippers funny as fukc i miss him.

No one needed dance lessons for the peanut duck,ever

Edited by ken
Social source share

As someone said the lyrics aren't all that great (they're terrible really) and probably the reason why the things was never released. I do love the rythym track though as it's pure Northern Soul to my ears. Top sound at TOTW for Guy & Keb - think Guy played the vocal and Keb the instrumental.

Mick

Are you sure Mick, i thought it was only the vocal back then? The inst was much later and I've never heard it out.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Are you sure Mick, i thought it was only the vocal back then? The inst was much later and I've never heard it out.

Hi Ady

Keb did play the instumental he had it covered up as The Dance i think

and it was played at the 100 CLUB

Cos thats where i heard it in the 80s sometime.

Reckon you must have run off when it came on lol.

I love 45s like this, great fun thats what its all about aint it.thumbsup.gif

Al H

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I love this record. Went to Stafford and 100 club at the time it emerged and remember good vibes and "quack quack" hand gestures on the dancefloor. Still got the original issue on the (collectable) Joker label ;-) - sold, as I recall, on the door at the 100 Club!

I have a theory that when she laid down this marvellous performance, the singer, God bless her, whoever she is is. was quite young and quite, quite drunk (or something..). Proper rock n roll.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

https://easydreamer.b...t-duck-mp3.html

I think you'll find it's "Quackaquack Quackiggy Quackiggy Burrrrr Quackaquack Giggiggy"....

....what you said was just gibberish.

Social source share

• 11 years later...
On 24/02/2010 at 02:36, Mark Jones said:

Will have to search through my old copies.

Still got my pressing......sorry I mean original issue on joker! laugh.gif

post-397-12669789901165_thumb.jpg

I have one of these in my box and searching on the net it appears that Mark Dobson "Butch" had the acetate (see blog below), I can't be sure, perhaps Butch Music was/is a coincidence

If he is the mysterious owner (or was) I wonder if he knows or can be bothered, if he does, to name our lady

Wonder who Gilly / Jilly were ?

The secret world of Northern Soul ?

https://soulstrutter.blogspot.com/2020_03_04_archive.html

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have one of these in my box and searching on the net it appears that Mark Dobson "Butch" had the acetate (see blog below), I can't be sure, perhaps Butch Music was/is a coincidence

If he is the mysterious owner (or was) I wonder if he knows or can be bothered, if he does, to name our lady

Echoes Articel about Stafford 1985.jpg

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The secret world of Northern Soul ?

https://soulstrutter.blogspot.com/2020_03_04_archive.html

Butch's copy is another acetate, not the one from the 80s as far as I know, slightly.

John Vincent and then Marc Farley played it first, the instrumental, as The Dance Track.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Always loved it and always thought it's obvious they were mucking about and having a laugh when they recorded it - possibly 'workshopping' a song by improvising lyrics to go with a groove. The singer sounds drunk (or something) and you can hear she's cracking up as she's singing it. The mood they captured is very infectious and still puts a smile on my face!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Raw Detroit. A really dirty, Detroit number. Best played to a drunken floor at a Christmas party perhaps. I love this tune; poetry to my ears. If you know the Detroit sound, this is simple, entry-level, Northern Dance Music, but for the connoisseur. Sure, it’s not perfect, but some maestros put it together. The vocal is insane, but so too is dancing the night away when you’re off your trolley.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Raw Detroit. A really dirty, Detroit number. Best played to a drunken floor at a Christmas party perhaps. I love this tune; poetry to my ears. If you know the Detroit sound, this is simple, entry-level, Northern Dance Music, but for the connoisseur. Sure, it’s not perfect, but some maestros put it together. The vocal is insane, but so too is dancing the night away when you’re off your trolley.

Its a Philly recording isn’t it, Virtue.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!