Willie Tee - You Gonna Pay Some Dues

Ted Massey

A very rare record.

When I heard this on the US issued Willie Tee compilation about seven or eight years ago I asked a lot of knowledgeable people about it and no-one had ever heard of it. Subsequent requests on forums drew similar blanks but a couple of years ago both Tony Rounce and Sean Hampsey said they had seen it listed but didn't own it.

On the Bonatemp label and I'd guess dating from around between the timeframe Nola records folded and Willie Tee signed to Capitol. Bonatemp was also Willie's publishing company on his early Nola and Atlantic classics.

Appeared on ebay about eighteen months ago. I bid a fair bit of money for it (four figures in sterling) but was swatted away like the fly that I am!

Tremendous midtempo soul with a good b-side too: sort of Willie Tee sings "Ain't That Peculiar", which I'm sure could get spins too.

Social source share

A very rare record.

When I heard this on the US issued Willie Tee compilation about seven or eight years ago I asked a lot of knowledgeable people about it and no-one had ever heard of it. Subsequent requests on forums drew similar blanks but a couple of years ago both Tony Rounce and Sean Hampsey said they had seen it listed but didn't own it.

On the Bonatemp label and I'd guess dating from around between the timeframe Nola records folded and Willie Tee signed to Capitol. Bonatemp was also Willie's publishing company on his early Nola and Atlantic classics.

Appeared on ebay about eighteen months ago. I bid a fair bit of money for it (four figures in sterling) but was swatted away like the fly that I am!

Tremendous midtempo soul with a good b-side too: sort of Willie Tee sings "Ain't That Peculiar", which I'm sure could get spins too.

Thanks for the info any one gonna post a full clip in Refosoul please

Social source share

A very rare record.

Blow me Gareth ........that's one that slipped thru the net for me...love listening to Willie Tee ...

had one of the re-issue lp's with this on and honestly thought it was lp only and as i write this i've just researched cos i distinctly remember there were lp only cuts on that album.

BACKTRACKED THE ALBUM info says Originally Released As: Bonatemp 401

Your totally correctthumbup.gif

Social source share

lovely mid tempo tune.........not to be played at a disco methinks

There should always be room for something this classy from a giant of soul music. Knocks spots off many recent discoveries and would have been a monster at any of the great venues of the past if it had been more widely available.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not really that much difference in Tempo from the Earles he Tezzshades.gif

yep ted you're right.................should'nt play the earls either lol

Social source share

yep ted you're right.................should'nt play the earls either lol

This is the quality of music that sets standards at all-nighters...and there's nothing wrong, and absoluetly everything right with playing mid-tempo tunes.....

There's plenty of room for all tempos, as proven by the quality of tunes played and embraced at Stafford.

There's a good few uptempo tunes played out today that wouldn't have cut it a few years ago...plenty completely devoid of soul....

Social source share

This is the quality of music that sets standards at all-nighters...and there's nothing wrong, and absoluetly everything right with playing mid-tempo tunes.....

There's plenty of room for all tempos, as proven by the quality of tunes played and embraced at Stafford.

There's a good few uptempo tunes played out today that wouldn't have cut it a few years ago...plenty completely devoid of soul....

thumbup.gif

Social source share

Could'nt agree more Cliff

One of the biggest reasons i don't go to many nighters is the silly bollox policy of so called "uptempo" 60's .

Am i right in thinking this policy is something to do with keeping people on their toes, thus ensuring they stay awake ??

Each to their own but i like soul music regardless of tempo .....one of my biggest regrets is missing the whole stafford era sad.gif

Social source share

Just a few less paced things that prove the point, quality is what counts, not tempo.

Sam Dees - Lonley for you baby

Soul Brothers Inc - Pyramid

Johnny Gilliam - Room full of tears

Bill Wright - Man in love

thumbup.gif

Bill Lucas - Cause You're Mine

Johnnie Mae Matthews - I Have No Choice

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me

Shirley Edwards - Dream

Inverts - Time Will Change

thumbup.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

thumbup.gif

Bill Lucas - Cause You're Mine

Johnnie Mae Matthews - I Have No Choice

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me

Shirley Edwards - Dream

Inverts - Time Will Change

thumbup.gif

BOBBY HUTTON.....COME SEE

BOBBY SHEEN......SOMETHING NEW TO DO

STOPPERS.....COME BACK BABY

Social source share

Just a few less paced things that prove the point, quality is what counts, not tempo.

Sam Dees - Lonley for you baby

Soul Brothers Inc - Pyramid

Johnny Gilliam - Room full of tears

Bill Wright - Man in love

May I add to this some current Hip City down tempo faves

Mal Adams & The Cashmeres Since Man Began

Lee Harvey My Assurance

..is this not already the start of a new thread....current or personal down / slow tempo faves thumbsup.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Blow me Gareth ........that's one that slipped thru the net for me...love listening to Willie Tee ...

had one of the re-issue lp's with this on and honestly thought it was lp only and as i write this i've just researched cos i distinctly remember there were lp only cuts on that album.

BACKTRACKED THE ALBUM info says Originally Released As: Bonatemp 401

Your totally correctthumbup.gif

Nev whats the name of the album ? And how much does the album go for ?

Thansk

Carms

x

Social source share

any one got info on this please

Back on Topic i hope.....wonderful double sider and rare as a hen's teeth i guess.... I posted a little photo of Mr Dobson's 45 on refosoul a few weeks back. Butch confirmed at the last 100 club it was a keeper....

Willie Tee - Ain't That True Baby - Bonatemp

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

• 8 years later...

This record is completely 100% legit and probably the best copy ever available for sale in the world.

The others looked relatively dark because they were comparatively worn and moisture damaged. Also the lighting/exposure/flash will play a part in what colour the label presents in photographs. If the buyer gets what's in that photo it's totally and utterly authentic. 

Edited by Garethx
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Garethx said:

This record is completely 100% legit and probably the best copy ever available for sale in the world.

The others looked relatively dark because they were comparatively worn and moisture damaged. Also the lighting/exposure/flash will play a part in what colour the label presents in photographs. If the buyer gets what's in that photo it's totally and utterly authentic. 

Well I hope you are right because someone's payed a lot of money 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!