If You Could Have A Second Room At An Allnighter

1. 1. What would you like in the second room ?

• Modern
    • RnB
    • Rare

• Replies 99
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Overplayed, hammered to death oldies. Played by DJs who stopped caring decades ago, playing the same 24 records they played the week before and in the same order. Obviously boots/pressing are OK as long as the DJ can say give the story that they used to own the original and payed 40pence for it. Any records that are not overplayed and hammered to death are totally unwelcome and should any 'wannabe' DJ play such a crap 'rare soul' record it will be met with an instant clearing of the dancefloor and shouts of 'Play some Northern Soul!'."

I think I've been to this one unfortunately!!!! ph34r.gif thankfully I didn't stay long and I aint going backno.gif

Spow

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Overplayed, hammered to death oldies. Played by DJs who stopped caring decades ago, playing the same 24 records they played the week before and in the same order. Obviously boots/pressing are OK as long as the DJ can say give the story that they used to own the original and payed 40pence for it. Any records that are not overplayed and hammered to death are totally unwelcome and should any 'wannabe' DJ play such a crap 'rare soul' record it will be met with an instant clearing of the dancefloor and shouts of 'Play some Northern Soul!'.

Obviously this is assuming that the main room is the 'freestyle' type described earlier where DJs are given freedom to play what they want with just two restrictions of 'OVO' and 'danceable' :hatsoff2:

This is what i cannot understand or get my head round.

What happenned to all those great floorfillers,they used to play back in the day,

That you very rarely hear or NEVER get played anywhere nowadays.

There are 100s of them.

You have enough of these to choose from,to start a regular nighter,

let alone played in a second room.

Can anybody give me an explanation.

Stu

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

r'n'b / rare / ska / latin / early funk thumbsup.gif

thats what will be on offer in our second room at Talk Of The South on 5th june

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

I like a room playin 60's mod sounds & Ska & Reggae. thumbsup.gif

TALK OF THE SOUTH second room is what you are looking for 5th june.warren and pete playing rnb latin boogaloo and kris tebbutt a very well respected reggae ska dj

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

Underplayed rare :D

50s & 60s R n B :hatsoff2:

or

Rockabilly :D

Debbie x

we can do the rnb nicely but not the rockabilly

Social source share

I would also suggest that the addition of a second room had a large part to play in sewing the seeds of fragmentation that we now have, and yes I do mean right back to Mr M's that started the trend for a section of the crowd to start looking backwards.

Tony

How true that is.yes.gif

Social source share

Guest realsoulfan

Soulful Garage and House music through a heavy weight sound systemn

Edited by realsoulfan
Social source share

Overplayed, hammered to death oldies. Played by DJs who stopped caring decades ago, playing the same 24 records they played the week before and in the same order. Obviously boots/pressing are OK as long as the DJ can say give the story that they used to own the original and payed 40pence for it. Any records that are not overplayed and hammered to death are totally unwelcome and should any 'wannabe' DJ play such a crap 'rare soul' record it will be met with an instant clearing of the dancefloor and shouts of 'Play some Northern Soul!'.

Obviously this is assuming that the main room is the 'freestyle' type described earlier where DJs are given freedom to play what they want with just two restrictions of 'OVO' and 'danceable' :lol:

So sad...........but so true :yes:

My choice would be to have a room that had no dj's booked & list of half hour spots & you turn up put your name next to a time & play a few. What a mix of tunes you'd get.............only restriction off original vinyl.

Would the room be taken over by one type of music or another do you think?????

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

So sad...........but so true biggrin.gif

My choice would be to have a room that had no dj's booked & list of half hour spots & you turn up put your name next to a time & play a few. What a mix of tunes you'd get.............only restriction off original vinyl.

Would the room be taken over by one type of music or another do you think?????

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn that sounds mega!

I'd have some of that, I think it would up the game,

open things for would be jocks and give us a welcome lucky dip.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Martyn that sounds mega!

I'd have some of that, I think it would up the game,

open things for would be jocks and give us a welcome lucky dip.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Simon

It has been tried I think in the past????

Reading what people want all they have to do is go to The Wilton they've been covering all those bases (maybe not Rockabilly:D) in one room for 17+ years.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Reading what people want, I doubt many posters actually go to Allnighters less wander away from the formulated main rooms?

I have enjoyed the likes of Bretbey, Winsford, Blackpool, Middleton, Barnsley, Rugby, and Radcliff all with super second rooms that allow you to flit from one to another.

Radcliff's main room held nothing for me yet the little room that plays modern until 0300hrs then anything goes flicked my little soul switch well and truly to the on position. I'd rather drink my own piss than do the RnB thing, whoops, another RnB fatwa here I come!

GREAT.JPG

Mind you, the RnB catz can never catch me coz I can hear their corduroy jackets chafing as they sneak up on me.

Social source share

Reading what people want, I doubt many posters actually go to Allnighters less wander away from the formulated main rooms?

I have enjoyed the likes of Bretbey, Winsford, Blackpool, Middleton, Barnsley, Rugby, and Radcliff all with super second rooms that allow you to flit from one to another.

Radcliff's main room held nothing for me yet the little room that plays modern until 0300hrs then anything goes flicked my little soul switch well and truly to the on position. I'd rather drink my own piss than do the RnB thing, whoops, another RnB fatwa here I come!

GREAT.JPG

Mind you, the RnB catz can never catch me coz I can hear their corduroy jackets chafing as they sneak up on me.

If you'd have been at Hotwax on the last Bank Holiday you'd change your mind about R n B? A bit of a tired oldies bias main room & alt room full of young 20/30 somethings giving it loads. Great up-tempo R n B & Latin been danced to by people with none of our political baggage just out for a great time listening to great music............as a bit of dancer yourself (I use the term loosely of course :D) it would have blown you away.......did me. So less of the dissin of the R n B boys...........it's the future:thumbup::lol::yes:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

why not have a torture chamber playing nothing but beat ballads, nice not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by spudmurphy
Social source share

My current fave 2nd room is the Freestyle Room at Rugby Niter,

but if I was running the world all 2nd rooms in every venue would be a mix of classic oldies, forgotten oldies and the odd surprise/unknown just to keep folk on their toes - because all main rooms would be playing in the style of all great venues of the past, Torch, Cats, Wigan, Stafford, etc, i.e. a mix of completely new and unknown, fairly new, Rare and not so, the odd request, and some previously tried that didnt quite make it. Of course these main room plays would have no barrier due to their year of recording- and it'd be the same rules in the 2nd room

Social source share

I love watching the footage of 60's / 70's soul singers and groups that plays on the screen in the main room at Kings Hall. Only problem is, you can't hear the bloody music.

Put that in the second room, get some armchairs, where I can get myself together (song there somewhere) before entering the fray again. Might want to provide waitress service, comfy slippers and a glass of port.

Failing that, underplayed oldies will do me.

Social source share

It's got to be modern. We are in the second decade of the 21st Century biggrin.gif

Sadly only a few of us are in't 21st century Davewhistling.gif

Soulful Garage and House music through a heavy weight sound systemn

Like we had at Bretby 10 years ago when Terry Gee ran the 2nd room. Bring it on again (yes I know it's been pulled down before you all jump in).

BTW is that me in your avatar mate???

Social source share

Obviously this is assuming that the main room is the 'freestyle' type described earlier where DJs are given freedom to play what they want with just two restrictions of 'OVO' and 'danceable' whistling.gif

Brilliant!!!! with you all the way on that one Adam yes.gif

Social source share

If you'd have been at Hotwax on the last Bank Holiday you'd change your mind about R n B? A bit of a tired oldies bias main room & alt room full of young 20/30 somethings giving it loads. Great up-tempo R n B & Latin been danced to by people with none of our political baggage just out for a great time listening to great music............as a bit of dancer yourself (I use the term loosely of course biggrin.gif) it would have blown you away.......did me. So less of the dissin of the R n B boys...........it's the future:thumbup:thumbup.gifwink.gif

Cheers

Martyn

Totally agree with you on that one mate. I was there at the hot wax all-nighter and have to say the upstairs Rnb/Mod room was rocking. I love my northern + rare soul but everytime i ventured downstairs i was really quite dissapointed, Maybe these dj's have been doing it to long and have grown stale???

That's what i love about Rnb rooms they really mix it up from early soul right through to latin (as long as it all flows together nicely). The main factor about this night was the venue. It made soul/RnB music feel super cool! It attracted a good mixture of people younger + more experienced soulies who all mingled and danced creating a buzzing atmosphere (upstairs).

The wardrobe is a very smart bar/club in a city centre with a kicking sound system the two things alot of soul nights/all-nighters lack IMO! If more soul/Rnb nights could find these types of venues which i know is difficult as sometimes all the bar/club owners think about is money also you've also got the massive problem of all the other 1000's of soul nights that are on huh.gif which will always affect numbers.

Venues are so important in getting younger people into soul music!

Anyway rant over it was a great night and i must say the Rnb room definitely was the better of the two even with ginger taylor and keith money dj-ing in the northern room wink.gif .

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

and their sliding up & down their poles to good thumpin modern, (and don't mind £1 coins slipped into their gussetts, I'll warm them up honest)ph34r.gif

Don't be so tight John, make it a £2 coin. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Tom wink.gif

Social source share

If you could have a second room at an allnighter what would you choose?

First choice: R&B

If I couldn't have that, then a 'quiet' room where you can still here the music in the background for the Allnighter atmosphere but could buy / sell / talk about records.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I'd like a polka room, please, maybe with someone guesting who's brave enough to throw in the odd schottische to vary the tempo occasionally.

You just can't beat a good polka, can you? no.gifno.gifno.gif

Social source share

An Ipod room where as you go in you are given an Ipod with your style of music on

Would be great to see people dancing to different types of music in a completely quiet room

Only thing is you wouldnt hear youself fart laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

An Ipod room where as you go in you are given an Ipod with your style of music on

Would be great to see people dancing to different types of music in a completely quiet room

Only thing is you wouldnt hear youself fart laugh.giflaugh.gif

It's what you call a silent disco, alot of the students have nights like this. All headsets play different types of music then they all dance in different styles, it's quite amusing to watch laugh.gif .

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Maybe not a second room at a nighter. But I've often thought, when trawling through boxes of records for sale, that it might be a good idea to have a room, where the dealers play their records for sale. It could open up a sale option, that unless heard, may not happen.

Depending on how many sellers thre are, a few records each before the next seller plays their choices and so on.

Maybe it would work better in a pub or record fayre scenario?

Social source share

Guest SCOOBY

Better still hold an after event auction,where all jocks on the night have to sell what they played,top jock makes highest sales .this would also be his wages (promoters note) they would have to think about what to play.if carried out on a weekly bases the true wealth of this scene would distributed amongst more people there would be no icons to worship.Comrades sorry Soul Brothers. it would also ensure the scene lived forever because without realizing it we are constantly giving birth to whole lotta soul to a whole lotta new people

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i voted Modern so if a venue has 2 rooms i can stay in the oldies room and here a cross section of oldies be it over played or under played.

i like Modern but not gonna moan if i never hear it out

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert