Rarest Record

Impact

I'd rather have 1,000 great soul records as a pound each, than one crap record thats valued at £1,000 and I really do mean that. Sometimes there are very good reasons why a record is rare..... Also, this thread will just turn into a dick swinging contest.

I don't think it was going to turn into dick swinging contest :lol: By the way mine is Frank Wilson on original SOUL label :elvis:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Steve G always buys either the wrong tune by an artist or leaves his best ones at home you'd think he,d of learn,t by now lol :D :D

Social source share

I'd rather have 1,000 great soul records as a pound each, than one crap record thats valued at £1,000 and I really do mean that. Sometimes there are very good reasons why a record is rare..... Also, this thread will just turn into a dick swinging contest.

To be honest I'd rather back myself in an actual dick swinging contest, more chance of being in the top 100,000. :wink:

Social source share

I have a rule when purchasing records and thats a £20 top limit unless it is something very special indeed, in fact I pride myself in finding many gems for under a quid, I used to spend hours in Good Vibrations in Belfast just sifting through masses of records and I never left unhappy. I recently went to my boys school fete and came away with 25 decent records for a fiver lol, I just dont see the point in paying really silly money for a piece of vinyl where lets face it will rarely get played if ever, its a bit like buying a picasso and locking it in a vault.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I'd rather tell you 'Butch', the best record in my collection...........I always value a record by how it sounds than ever, ever by how much it's worth.................

Social source share

Rarest i ever owned........i think?? was a Major Harris - Call Me Tomorrow.........hang on,hang on..........On Vinyl!! not styrene moulded on label - never heard of or seen another one like it.

Biggest in terms of value i would say has to be Larry Clinton..........ok thats the dick swinging out of the way. As for my most treasured it would be The Imaginations - S - N'hood purely because it cost a fiver, sounded/sounds the bollox, and the label is pure art work.

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

there are probably hundreds of 1-off records around, "rarest" doesn't mean that much.

"most valuable" means more given established market values on some ultra-rarities

I totally agree.Just click on manships rarest of the rare.Most of them are rare because they are

AWFUL.

Social source share

I totally agree.Just click on manships rarest of the rare.Most of them are rare because they are

AWFUL.

Most? Me thinks you rate exaggerating a tad? Many of the great classics in there and post Wigan greats.

Granted not all rare records are good, just the same not all cheap records are good either. It's simply the fact that some are expensive and crap that they get highlighted whilst cheap crap records are simply ignored.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I have the very first test Pressing of Spyder Turners 'Tell me (crying over you)' on Bandtraxs Records! The test pressings in circulation at present are not the first test pressings made by Archers.They had a 'B' side problem that nobody knows about. The record had to be re done and a second batch of test pressings made. To me, the first test pressings are priceless because I know how many were pressed, when and where. I know who cut the track to vinyl in Memphis, and the story behind the evolution of the song from writing it, getting it recorded stateside, releasing digitally first,then first and second test pressing to the 500 pressed articles, shipped and sold from the UK. I know this piece of the jig saw is a little unorthodox, but you said vinyl!

I therefore am proposing to sell one of these Spyder Turner test pressings for £20,000 on eBay at some stage. As is, buyer takes the risk of whatever is on the B side! The A side is fine, but the B, well it could be nothing, something not related to the release, something you could only imagine in your dreams, or even the A side backwards or indeed something else! The purchaser will get that surprise plus a copy of a proper 45 for his or her collection. If the purchaser can prove they are a Soul-Source member I may offer a little discount! And, if this sale was to go ahead, I would take £5000 of that money and pay an extended bonus to the musicians and featured artists stateside who performed on this session and make a donation to the Detroit musicians union. The other £15000, would help me go over again and record 4 more songs. This time though, I would love to find Pistol Allen's daughter and see if she is still playing the trombone and get her on the session! There I go, dreaming again....well actually, I know they come true!

Social source share

AWFUL.

Only if your not into soul :wicked:

P.s

Amazing how someone starts a thread about "whats the rarest record in your collection" that it ends up being a topic about how crap rare records all are :ohmy:

Once over this forum used to be a rare soul forum for people into rare soul .....now it seems to be full of internet warriors writing utter dross and firing insults at one another :(

Just my opinion but if your gonna start a topic ..please try and be a bit more imaginative ....then again if your looking for a bit of a t'internet dust up keep it controversial :wave:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1. I totally agree !!!
Social source share

Look the northern scene has since the early 70s been about rare records, and having something others don't have. Do some of you not realise when Ian Levine, Colin Curtis, Dicky S, Ian Dewhirst, Poke etc were playing their new discoveries back in "the good old days" they weren't "rare" records? Of course they were, until someone found further copies. Virtually all of the stuff we take for granted today started life as rare records. Some of you need to get over this inverse snobbishness ffs.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Look the northern scene has since the early 70s been about rare records, and having something others don't have. Do some of you not realise when Ian Levine, Colin Curtis, Dicky S, Ian Dewhirst, Poke etc were playing their new discoveries back in "the good old days" they weren't "rare" records? Of course they were, until someone found further copies. Virtually all of the stuff we take for granted today started life as rare records. Some of you need to get over this inverse snobbishness ffs.

I think they do realise that the northern scene is/was about are records (frequently not mind!) Steve. However, what John and the others also realise is that after all these years they are more interested in quality over rarity and as such you can purchase many wonderful records (for their listening pleasure) for the price of a big ticket item (which might also be wonderful) . And lets be honest that is the point about records - listening pleasure - they are not things to look at and talk about having/had/played out/sold in some sort of pi**ing contest which is sadly often the case these days IMHO of course ..

Social source share

Well I agree Mike that there are those that are just trying to get what I once termed "Trophy records" for the "playbox". The likes of Don Gardner, Salvadores, Eddie Parker, Tomangoes etc.

But some seem to think if a record is more than a fiver it ain't no good. Steve

All of the above are now more hammered than some of the more common oldies, form the wheel and torch era.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

However, what John and the others also realise is that after all these years they are more interested in quality over rarity and as such you can purchase many wonderful records (for their listening pleasure) for the price of a big ticket item (which might also be wonderful) . And lets be honest that is the point about records - listening pleasure - they are not things to look at and talk about having/had/played out/sold in some sort of pi**ing contest which is sadly often the case these days IMHO of course ..

You can buy many wonderful cheap records to Dj with for the price of one trophy record.

Social source share

And the rest.....................

Best and rarest original Keks, shirt, coit, shoes.............dance, it was all about being the top of the pile and that included shit rare records.

Its an elitist scene. The DJs had the crowd in the palm of their hands when playing records only they had. Who would not get off on that kind of oneupmanship?

Of course it gets out of hand, and just because theres only one known copy of Tim Tam on Swedish Palmer does not make it a great record, but on the other hand who would not like an Eddie Parker/Tomangoes/Gwen Owens in the box?

Why do you think the debate goes on and on about playing cd/mp3 tracks instead of original vinyl? Nobody wants what everybody can have!! Rariety is a VIRTUE.

Ed

Social source share

And the rest.....................

Best and rarest original Keks, shirt, coit, shoes.............dance, it was all about being the top of the pile and that included shit rare records.

Its an elitist scene. The DJs had the crowd in the palm of their hands when playing records only they had. Who would not get off on that kind of oneupmanship?

Of course it gets out of hand, and just because theres only one known copy of Tim Tam on Swedish Palmer does not make it a great record, but on the other hand who would not like an Eddie Parker/Tomangoes/Gwen Owens in the box?

Why do you think the debate goes on and on about playing cd/mp3 tracks instead of original vinyl? Nobody wants what everybody can have!! Rariety is a VIRTUE.

Ed

But that was then and this is now...grown men are not impressed by DJ's - they love their Soul music - all their life in most cases - their tastes have changed and have been refined over the years , rarity is not a virtue, Quality is! The label, studio, producer, singer, writers, musicians all contribute to the quality - rarity does not! You can love a rare record because it is good (and I certainly do) but not because it it rare! How can you like 'rare' soul per se?

Social source share

Collecting is a hobby and a fun thing lets not get too down on the rare records are crap etc debate, i just think there are crap records about whatever the price...but again thats a matter of taste for the individual...

The desire to own a rare record consumes everyman/collector...then once you get your hands on it it goes in the box and gathers dust, :lol:, how many times have i sweated over a purchase then realised the dream and shat myself silly until the postie arrives package opened ...hurrah its in good order and ..now ive moved on to the next one, i suppose thats part of the thrill and to get a bit of a woodie if you do get a chance to play it out and about, and if a few admiring glances and comments come your way its a bonus, albeit many would, in discussions about said record, shave a quarter of the pounds paid, off the purchase price just to let everyone know they had bagged a bargain :rofl: ...oh cum on weve all been there and love it even if its a bit of a boasting thing.

Ive bought and sold up 3 times mainly due to financial constraints brought about by buying records :D:lol: im having fun but its nice to see the passion pouring over on this debate...again and again

I must admit with the last post though i have grown up a bit now and love getting thick into a records production, arrangement , vocal talent etc, and i dont seem to have a specific type of soul i like anymore, one time it was out and out northern now, its what floats the (getting very old) boat.

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Collecting is a hobby and a fun thing lets not get too down on the rare records are crap etc debate, i just think there are crap records about whatever the price...but again thats a matter of taste for the individual...

The desire to own a rare record consumes everyman/collector...then once you get your hands on it it goes in the box and gathers dust, :lol:, how many times have i sweated over a purchase then realised the dream and shat myself silly until the postie arrives package opened ...hurrah its in good order and ..now ive moved on to the next one, i suppose thats part of the thrill and to get a bit of a woodie if you do get a chance to play it out and a few admiring glances and comments come your way its a bonus, albeit many would, in discussions about said record shave a quarter of the pounds off the purchase price just to let know they had bagged a bargain :rofl: ...oh cum on weve all been there and love it even if its a bit of a boasting thing.

Ive bought and sold up 3 times mainly due to financial constraints brought about by buying records :D:lol: im having fun but its nice to see the passion pouring over on this debate...again and again

I must admit with the last post though i have grown up a bit now and love getting thick into a records production, arrangement , vocal talent etc, and i dont seem to have a specific type of soul i like anymore, one time it was out and out northern now, its what floats the (getting very old) boat.

Geeooooordie

Nice readable post.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!