Is Playing A Boot At A Venue Ever Acceptable

LaBeat was the local release, Palmer the later national release. Either way they are still both originals (same for the other examples you gave), nothing technically about it.

That means then Jimmy Church on SS7 can be played out,without fear of the Soul Police having my head on a pole.

Whoo and indeed wey hey!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He lost me at "beofe" :lol:

dustna spayke stowke youth?

Quality cartridge maybe,but surely still end up with deteriation of the acetate.Only 30 plays for an acetate..?

Where do we stand on....for instance..

Al Gardner - Sweet Baby - ,,Gooda Mooga (Sepia)

Ann Sexton - Gone to long - Seventy 7 (Impel).

Local against national.Minor release,major release?

These records were issued nationally by larger lables rather than being reissued for the northern market in the early 7ts, think that the rule of thumb that I and others usually follow.

Social source share

dustna spayke stowke youth?

These records were issued nationally by larger lables rather than being reissued for the northern market in the early 7ts, think that the rule of thumb that I and others usually follow.

That seems to clear that up....

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

yeh its ok in my opinion-sod the rare vinyl only police as long as the the tune is a good un-now let the slaggin start -bring it on! :boxing:

Social source share

Sorry if this has been a topic before but,

Is a boot / pressing ever acceptable for a DJ to play out ?

What if DJ has the original but in poor condition and would cost thousands to replace

What if the DJ has the original copy but daren't play it in case some knobhead knocks the deck and scratches his prize possession

Westy

It is the Rare Soul Scene! with a title Northern Soul. Rare that is what has kept it unique for many years. Rare in rare records not £10 issues or CD's

People travelling 100s of miles to hear a certain Dj play something no one else has.

If the scene had been like this in the 70s anyone playing CD's, Boots and Cuts It would now be like the punk scene and many others that have come and gone. Finished!!!

Ok its about the dancers. So then the Promoters should go and get the Djs with the real records so the paying publiccan dance to top tunes. Instead of you Dj at mine I will Dj at yours policy that most clubs have.

I agree with a comment on here for promoters to put on fliers.. That all Djs are playing what they have and not just gone out and bought a whole collection/ Dj spot, for the price of one top high end record. That just happens to be in there set.

As for the chin strokes remarks. I think you would find the people that feel so strongly about this thread and pressing. Are the same people that stayed on the scene. Keeping it going when others went of after Wigan and had families and only came back on in the last 10 years.

I remember being at Winsford Allnighter in the 9O's. Butch was in the record bar when some so called Dj played one of his unissued acetates. He ran up to the decks and removed the deck arm quite rightly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It is the Rare Soul Scene! with a title Northern Soul. Rare that is what has kept it unique for many years. Rare in rare records not £10 issues or CD's

People travelling 100s of miles to hear a certain Dj play something no one else has.

If the scene had been like this in the 70s anyone playing CD's, Boots and Cuts It would now be like the punk scene and many others that have come and gone. Finished!!!

Ok its about the dancers. So then the Promoters should go and get the Djs with the real records so the paying publiccan dance to top tunes. Instead of you Dj at mine I will Dj at yours policy that most clubs have.

I agree with a comment on here for promoters to put on fliers.. That all Djs are playing what they have and not just gone out and bought a whole collection/ Dj spot, for the price of one top high end record. That just happens to be in there set.

As for the chin strokes remarks. I think you would find the people that feel so strongly about this thread and pressing. Are the same people that stayed on the scene. Keeping it going when others went of after Wigan and had families and only came back on in the last 10 years.

I remember being at Winsford Allnighter in the 9O's. Butch was in the record bar when some so called Dj played one of his unissued acetates. He ran up to the decks and removed the deck arm quite rightly.

Your getting your rare soul scene mixed up with the n-soul scene plenty cheap tunes that are real cut the mustard ie; syl johnson - try me,ruby lee - i believe in you/i'm gonna put a watch on you, etc etc

Rare soul scene is pretentious boring chin stroking nonsense :D full of crap records.

All records start off cheap anyway,then Butch plays 'em :lol:

Edited by ken
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know several DJs that take cartridges round with them "just in case" - especially at a venue they don't know

I really don't understand how northern DJs don't always bring good cartridges and use them. People who have a whole box of $200+ records can't spend $200 to get a couple carts and a plastic case to keep their set sounding good and from screwing up their records? It's totally irrational, and not in the way that that some other parts of the scene come off as strange, there's literally no justification for not doing it. Vinyl DJs on any other scene bring their own cartridges.

Social source share

I really don't understand how northern DJs don't always bring good cartridges and use them. People who have a whole box of $200+ records can't spend $200 to get a couple carts and a plastic case to keep their set sounding good and from screwing up their records? It's totally irrational, and not in the way that that some other parts of the scene come off as strange, there's literally no justification for not doing it. Vinyl DJs on any other scene bring their own cartridges.

Just because one's a collector doesn't imply he/she knows anything about cartridges and their importance. Seeing most dj's on other scenes are on the "younger side" I guess it's an age thing.

I know several DJs that take cartridges round with them "just in case" - especially at a venue they don't know.

Even tho I rarely dj these days, I always bring my own set of cartridges with me. I check the one in use and if it looks odd I replace it, either just the stylus or sometimes even the whole cartridge.

Social source share

Taking your own Carts...

It's something that always used to bug me when I DJ'd - kit unbalanced, cheap styli, etc.

So when we started Hitsville the deal was we would only use the best kit and all carts, styli, especially would be quality, brand new every year. even the back up kit. It's worked a treat. Not only does the kit sound good but we're now totally relaxed and 100% confident that anyone invited to DJ with us will be completely happy with the set up.

So..if you're invited to join us on our Technics, you can rest assured that your carts can be left at home. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Just because one's a collector doesn't imply he/she knows anything about cartridges and their importance. Seeing most dj's on other scenes are on the "younger side" I guess it's an age thing.

This doesn't make sense to me. all these people are spending $$$ on records in order to have "OVO" to DJ with. Very few are actually collecting. The whole thread is an argument about what is acceptable to DJ with, not to have in your house. It makes no sense to me that people will spend tons of money on records but not a tiny bit more on cartridges, not only to protect their investment but to also improve their DJ sets. The whole reason most people on the scene bought the records is to DJ.

Social source share

Taking your own Carts...

It's something that always used to bug me when I DJ'd - kit unbalanced, cheap styli, etc.

So when we started Hitsville the deal was we would only use the best kit and all carts, styli, especially would be quality, brand new every year. even the back up kit. It's worked a treat. Not only does the kit sound good but we're now totally relaxed and 100% confident that anyone invited to DJ with us will be completely happy with the set up.

So..if you're invited to join us on our Technics, you can rest assured that your carts can be left at home. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

It takes only one DJ before you to break a needle and screw up your whole set. Additionally, I do some quick basic calibration on the turntable when putting my cartridge on as I've found many confused DJs will just dial the weight all the way up (and the antiskate to 10 or whatever).

Social source share

I know what you mean Boba. Therefore, the rule at our club is... No one touches anything on the set up but me. I set it up, I monitor it and I do any adjustments required during the weekender. I hold the spare carts and styli too. Sounds a bit like I'm a control freak. I suppose when it comes to the sound at our weekender I am!

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Lifeline always used new carts/stlyi at every all-nighter. We now hire the equipment and they know what we expect of the equipment. Only one DJ used his own cartridges and his acetates and expensive records then started to jump and stick. Had to make him put ours back in.

Social source share

I remember that vividly-it was "you left me" and as soon as it started playing Butch got up and made a bee line for the stage and knocked the arm off the disc.

This is the whole point of this thread,basically-INTEGRITY!

Who else would have done that?

Anyone?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I heard he threw it across the stage like a frizbee. :lol:

Probably an urban myth.

Social source share

Lifeline always used new carts/stlyi at every all-nighter.

It simply shows respect for the guys and their records, Chalky eh? I'd hate to have a Collector/DJ at any of our gigs come up to me and say "Dave, my Detroit Sounds Of Friction has been marked" or "My Prophets - One Gold Piece' now jumps!" :ohmy:

That's why any money made at the gigs goes straight back into the clubs equipment maintenance coffers.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It simply shows respect for the guys and their records, Chalky eh? I'd hate to have a Collector/DJ at any of our gigs come up to me and say "Dave, my Detroit Sounds Of Friction has been marked" or "My Prophets - One Gold Piece' now jumps!" :ohmy:

That's why any money made at the gigs goes straight back into the clubs equipment maintenance coffers.

Regards,

Dave

Yep sure does Dave, respect, used to be used a lot on this scene but not too much about these days from some.

Social source share

Was it at Winsford though?

Yes it was at Winsford. the track was Walter & The Admerations which was being played by a DJ from the Oswestry area on an acetate he'd had cut. Butch was selling records at the back of the hall and when it started to play he left his stall, walked up the room, onto the stage, took the arm off the record as it was playing and (allegedly because I couldn't see this bit) threw it across the stage.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ovo at any venue..

Had this dilemma for my wedding also..

Could not get decks for the service in registry office, had to sign my life away to cd recording but i did take the recording from original vinyl :yes:

Wedding meal, just about all ovo, did have one dj sneak in an acid jazz comp while the soul police were at the bar..

Wedding party... All vinyl.. All ovo for sure...

All presents of vinyl OVO.....

All in all a good day but me straying from the real footpath does blight my thought on each anniversary...

Also the 3 button suit was a must, standards again but i did have ladies underwear beneath it, thats for a another topic i guess..

Social source share

Yes it was at Winsford. the track was Walter & The Admerations which was being played by a DJ from the Oswestry area on an acetate he'd had cut. Butch was selling records at the back of the hall and when it started to play he left his stall, walked up the room, onto the stage, took the arm off the record as it was playing and (allegedly because I couldn't see this bit) threw it across the stage.

Didn't something similar happen at Prestatyn a couple of years back? :g:

Social source share

Happened not too long ago to someone who no longer posts on here ,as well.

please tell me in a message mate.. :yes: who is this rotter that calls himself a man of soul...

I need these tit bits Kev to brighten up my very existence :D

Would taking an hammer to something that is illegal on the decks be illegal, i wonder.... ????????????

Social source share

It might have happened at 100 Club as well then cause that's where I though it had happened. I do remember the Winsford one now explained but sure I wasn't there that night.

Social source share

please tell me in a message mate.. :yes: who is this rotter that calls himself a man of soul...

I need these tit bits Kev to brighten up my very existence :D

Would taking an hammer to something that is illegal on the decks be illegal, i wonder.... ????????????

:hatsoff2: Hi The answer is NO, as long as you are not threatening to harm anyone, a hammer is not classed as a weapon and as such it does not come under the offensive weapon category, hence it's popularity in the EAST END, Also a club dance hall, is classed as private property, the POLICE are very reluctant to prosecute any acts of violence that are lower than section 18, and for taking a record of a turntable and spinning it away, would not be sen as unlawful at any time,

When it comes down to it, unless the clubs owners want to press charges, it would be unable to prosecute, this is why clubs have there own security staff to police, the #1 crime to go to court is theft of belongings, not even the use of Drugs on premises goes to court unless the owner wants it to, as if there is a raid, all you need to do is drop it on the floor, it's the owner who gets done. clubs are shut down when the owner loses control of the club, as it's far to expensive for any police force to do more than 2 major operations in a year, that's why drug dealers like to grass up the competition, with the knowledge that the police budget has become more depleted? :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi The answer is NO, as long as you are not threatening to harm anyone, a hammer is not classed as a weapon and as such it does not come under the offensive weapon category, hence it's popularity in the EAST END, Also a club dance hall, is classed as private property, the POLICE are very reluctant to prosecute any acts of violence that are lower than section 18, and for taking a record of a turntable and spinning it away, would not be sen as unlawful at any time,

When it comes down to it, unless the clubs owners want to press charges, it would be unable to prosecute, this is why clubs have there own security staff to police, the #1 crime to go to court is theft of belongings, not even the use of Drugs on premises goes to court unless the owner wants it to, as if there is a raid, all you need to do is drop it on the floor, it's the owner who gets done. clubs are shut down when the owner loses control of the club, as it's far to expensive for any police force to do more than 2 major operations in a year, that's why drug dealers like to grass up the competition, with the knowledge that the police budget has become more depleted? :thumbup: DAVE

:facepalm:

Social source share

:facepalm:

:hatsoff2: HI MATE Carl Jung put a great emphasis on symbols and how they could be interpreted, however as your use of a handle which means a meadurement of length, maybe! a few words might explain why you chose to high lite my entry, which is adult (factual) answer, as the symbol chosen is parental, which is based on what you have been told, false or true! and verges on you inner child (emotions & feelings) to cover your eyes means fear! and your difficulty to express, yet your user name would suggest that you have a desire to express,?

Are your feelings of shame & embarrassment the right ones to use as a reply to my answer about a individual who is not afraid to act on his convictions, with actions that may outrage some, but be fully accepted by others, In this ase a protest from a top collectors / DJ being P***ed of at expensive record in his play list is being played, by someone from a $10 disk in front of him?

In all my years on the scene, there are Doe's & Dont's, and the act of the individual is a you Don't do this BIG Time, Bootlegs CD's and all the other crap like badges photo copies that are done for the sole intention to exploit the scene,& make money, memoribila should not be sold at rare soul event's if counterfate? however I agree with Ady C about a large amount of people Will buy these product, however the same people should not try and pass them of as the real genuine product, indeed if they do not know the difference don't exploit them to line your pockets.

The SOULFUL thing is to educate them! That would eradicate the need to take matters in hand, why did nobody tell the DJ what is acceptable to play, and why was he playing a record from another DJ play list on the same night, again, that's another no no!! :boxing:

DAVE where has my hammer gone? (I LOVE THE RARE SOUL SCENE) KILWORTH :shhh:

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest bootlegbill

yes why not play boots , because it is not always viable financialy or possible to obtain the original 7".

people in general do not care what format the music is played only that they are out on the floor dancing to there favourite songs and enjoying them selves .

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI MATE Carl Jung put a great emphasis on symbols and how they could be interpreted, however as your use of a handle which means a meadurement of length, maybe! a few words might explain why you chose to high lite my entry, which is adult (factual) answer, as the symbol chosen is parental, which is based on what you have been told, false or true! and verges on you inner child (emotions & feelings) to cover your eyes means fear! and your difficulty to express, yet your user name would suggest that you have a desire to express,?

Are your feelings of shame & embarrassment the right ones to use as a reply to my answer about a individual who is not afraid to act on his convictions, with actions that may outrage some, but be fully accepted by others, In this ase a protest from a top collectors / DJ being P***ed of at expensive record in his play list is being played, by someone from a $10 disk in front of him?

In all my years on the scene, there are Doe's & Dont's, and the act of the individual is a you Don't do this BIG Time, Bootlegs CD's and all the other crap like badges photo copies that are done for the sole intention to exploit the scene,& make money, memoribila should not be sold at rare soul event's if counterfate? however I agree with Ady C about a large amount of people Will buy these product, however the same people should not try and pass them of as the real genuine product, indeed if they do not know the difference don't exploit them to line your pockets.

The SOULFUL thing is to educate them! That would eradicate the need to take matters in hand, why did nobody tell the DJ what is acceptable to play, and why was he playing a record from another DJ play list on the same night, again, that's another no no!! :boxing:

DAVE where has my hammer gone? (I LOVE THE RARE SOUL SCENE) KILWORTH :shhh:

Dave,

If you read post 479 you will see that I made a comment about integrity with regard to Butch`s actions and by making that observation,I fully agree with and applaud his decision.I was with Butch at the time-not just a bystander involved in hearsay.

I have no feelings of shame or embarrassment and my username is an attempt at humour.

The symbol is my exasperation on reading the "extra" information that is rendered in your post referring to the legalities of the use of a hammer and the eternal/inevitable drug references.

Sorry if I offended you.

All the best.

Social source share

Guest Soul Shakedown

surly would this all not lead to bitter old corpses in graves clutching to records and the tunes dying with them? how do you expect a young fan of the genre to get into something like djing when the older generation wont give them a chance. You cant out price someone from wanting to share great tunes! the fact that these bootlegs are pressed tries to keep things tangible, you should be grateful they exist and give young people an affordable platform into the genre do you want kids to use mp3s and out price current djs altogether.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!