Combinations What 'cha Gonna Do On Kellmac

snooky

Went far "cheaper" than I thought it would actually. :ohmy:

..goes to proove my "theory" that theres not that many people (left) willing and able to shell out K`s of USD or UKP on the real high end items...one, two maybe four worldwide aint enough when two of them already have or dont want the item in question. if another copy of the cod´s shows up it will sell for considerably less, now that nyc has a copy.

Social source share

Just because it's rare doesn't make it good............if it wasn't for the second high bidder, it would have sold for $3,522.00.

It's what's in the groove that counts.

I can't say if this is true or not....but snipe bids don't go through if there is a higher bid already, depending on when the snipe timing is set. It's very possible a snipe bid was set to $7950 for one second after the two highest bids...or not. But don't assume that no bids tallied means no bids were intended. On records this rare, the musical merit is often irrelevant to the desire of the object. I have first hand experience with that mindset.

Social source share

Guest giant

Just because it's rare doesn't make it good............if it wasn't for the second high bidder, it would have sold for $3,522.00.

It's what's in the groove that counts.

agree with you not very good record its to fast .

Social source share

Wether it's too fast or even a crap record to some Is totally irrelevant !

It's rare and is a collector piece ,that's why it sold for that price .

P.s

It's still better than the sex pistols which sells for more and less rare .lol

• Helpful 2
Social source share

am i missing something here... the co`d and combinations are very similar records ..they sound as fast as one anoother to me

Combinations is about 156 bpm.

C.O.D.'s is about 174 bpm.

For comparison "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson is about 144 bpm, "I'm Gone" by Eddie Parker is about 138 bpm.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

"She's fire" is a truly fantastic tune in my book.

agreed seb, a great tune indeed. I once had the pleasure (?) to dance to it when Tim Brown played it at the Hip City a few years ago ... what a record!

Marc

NB

Hope your fine by the way, you would have loved our Copenhagen revival night at the last Hip City :rofl: LOL

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a personal opinion guys.......I know a lot of you on here have very broad tastes, and are genuinely into all genres of soul.

I on the other hand I'm not..........I just love northern, but it has to be quality, or have that certain something that makes me want to dance.

On the C.O.D's, what I meant to say was, most people buy with their ears and their hearts, not because it's rare. Look how much records like Jimmy Burns and Jackie Beavers go for. Hardly rare records, but always make big money, because they are fantastic.

Only a mother could love "she's fire" :lol::wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

agreed seb, a great tune indeed. I once had the pleasure (?) to dance to it when Tim Brown played it at the Hip City a few years ago ... what a record!

Marc

NB

Hope your fine by the way, you would have loved our Copenhagen revival night at the last Hip City :rofl: LOL

I remember one night at Lifeline, I was "in the zone" out on the floor when Tim dropped the needle on she's fire. I'd never heard it before so I started to dance to it. After 30 seconds I was regretting my actions, and when I looked round everyone else had sat down..........not wanting to look like a bigger t**t than I already did, I continued until the end. My God I was knackered.

True story.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember one night at Lifeline, I was "in the zone" out on the floor when Tim dropped the needle on she's fire. I'd never heard it before so I started to dance to it. After 30 seconds I was regretting my actions, and when I looked round everyone else had sat down..........not wanting to look like a bigger t**t than I already did, I continued until the end. My God I was knackered.

True story.

"Here's one to sort the men from the boys" is how Keb Darge often introduced at the 100 Club! :D

Social source share

"She's fire" is a truly fantastic tune in my book. And before anyone comes dragging with the old "it wouldn't have gotten the time of day if it was a £10 record" spiel... Like most people who hear a tune for the first time, I had no idea of its rarity the first time I heard it. It just blew me away and I've wanted a copy ever since. "She's Fire" is a unique sounding tune and very fast indeed. Whether you can dance to it or if it's suitable in a northern soul context is totally irrelevant in my opinion.

yes it is brilliant. Some people seem to have inverted snobbery where if a record is rare and great they have to not like it ??

Social source share

for what it's worth i've listened to both records with my ears and my heart and I like the CODs better. :) It's just much more chicago sounding and the ballad is better too. Combinations is a great record, it's just not as chicago sounding. I understand you have different aesthetics and are listening for different things (e.g. danceability), I'm just saying why I like the CODs better.

The combinations could go much higher depending on what happens. Anyways my offer to trade the combinations for the CODs still stands...

I was talking to Adey Pierce today and he said he once sold a white demo / promo of the CODs. That's gotta be even rarer?

Social source share

Yes good point one wonders ! Combinations and C.o.d's are just the tonic for our somewhat flagging upfront niter circuit (i know they're oldies in a way) but exciting tunes for sure.I really do need to own the C.o.d's but my bid fell short ,i remember having a pop at Browny's copy but out of my family man's range ... Not sure why the winning bidder has to time and time again run the gauntlet when he secures a high value 45 ? he goes to work ,earns his wages and spends some of it on vinyl like we all do !

Andy, have you ever seen the Dreams 45? I haven't.

Social source share

True story.

Brilliant :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What of? Not "She's Fire" surely!?

yes, he said he had a white label promo/demo of it. He didn't know it was on ebay and I mentioned it and he asked me if it was a promo or stock copy and said he had a promo (a long time ago obviously).

Social source share

yes, he said he had a white label promo/demo of it. He didn't know it was on ebay and I mentioned it and he asked me if it was a promo or stock copy and said he had a promo (a long time ago obviously).

I'm surprised about that Bob, as I thought there was only one known copy over here, that was Rod Shard's copy that went to Tim Brown, so where is this other copy now and how come no one has mentioned it before as most of us one here will have had dealings with Adey at some point or other?

Social source share

Guest Byrney

It's a pity that these were the last two 45s on the Kellmac label. Would've been intersting to see how far they could've taken it speed-wise! :):thumbsup:

Take it to 180 bpm and you have Gabba Soul ;)

Loved the CODs before I had any idea of its worth, great to pogo to ... "a love like yours should be rich, like diamonds and pearls"

Combinations though is in a different class.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Which Jimmy Burns 45 is "hardly rare"? "I Really Love You"?

For sure not impossible to track down if you have the money, but pretty elusive I'd have to say.

Quite a few gone through the big auctions in the last couple of years Seb. JM must have done a few. I thought at one time it had turned up.

Social source share

True story.

Funny post Phil .....great to add some humour opposed to all the tempers flaring of late :thumbsup:

But would it not be possible to notch a uptempo tune down a little to give it more dance floor appeal :g:

Social source share

Now I need to get a sniper!

I was bidding and rebidding up to the end. Put in $8488 with 13 secs to go. Outbid to $8500 which was obviously the bidders maximum bid, put in $8688 and didn't have time to get my bid in :(

Edited by phild
Social source share

Now I need to get a sniper!

I was bidding and rebidding up to the end. Put in $8488 with 13 secs to go. Outbid to $8500 which was obviously the bidders maximum bid, put in $8688 and didn't have time to get my bid in :(

Phil ....the winner could have had $9000 on it ....the bid he won by was the increment needed to beat yours ?

It was asking for increments of $100 when i checked it

Here's the actual hidden bid details https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=330700876973&showauto=true

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Phil ....the winner could have had $9000 on it ....the bid he won by was the increment needed to beat yours ?

It was asking for increments of $100 when i checked it

Exactly! All the other bids I put in 8088, 8188, 8288 etc were all beaten by $100. The $8488 was only bid up to $8500 which tells me that was his max bid

Edited by phild
Social source share

Exactly! All the other bids I put in 8088, 8188, 8288 etc were all beaten by $100. The $8488 was only bid up to $8500 which tells me that was his max bid

Sorry Phil....i was of the impression that ,thats what it took to beat yours ?

I sniped something with a bid over $1000 and won it for a lot less ....its just the same principal as proxy bidding manually

Social source share

Sorry Phil....i was of the impression that ,thats what it took to beat yours ?

I sniped something with a bid over $1000 and won it for a lot less ....its just the same principal as proxy bidding manually

Yeah. I just love the last minute manual bidding though, just like a real auction.

However, this experience has left a sour taste. So maybe sniping is the way forward.

Social source share

Andy, have you ever seen the Dreams 45? I haven't.

No Bob never had it or seen it ,infact strangely enough the only time anyone else mentioned this to me was when we met in Chicago some years ago i found the Combinations that trip also two days before we flew home !

Maybe a local urban myth the dreams ...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!