Artists We Know Nothing About

Steve L

yes its her..and similar story i think to Tobi Lark/legend..she knew the song..and think she knew it had been released..('66?)..but had prob been recorded earlier and sat on the shelf..

It might be earlier than '66 but I wouldn't go as far back as the 50's.

Social source share

What were your strenuous efforts that you did to find him?

Either way it would be very difficult because it is a very generic name with 100s of listings in Washington DC (assuming he didn't move). Are there any songs that he is credited as writer on or are they all written by Van McCoy?

I talked to :

Chris Bartley

Van McCoy's half-sister

Shelby Singleton

Chris Jackson

David Kapralik

All had memories of him but couldn't help any further. Chris Bartley said that Tony Talent was a real singer and not VMc under a different name, apparently he was a 13 year old protege of VMc. BTW Chris Jackson was well mental and off his rocker when we talked :huh:

No, he sung other people's material but did most with VMc. Maybe the Shrinettes on SS could shed some light on him, hopefully it's the same BR who recorded on that label.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Chris Bartley said that Tony Talent was a real singer and not VMc under a different name, apparently he was a 13 year old protege of VMc. BTW Chris Jackson was well mental and off his rocker when we talked :huh:

(Little) Tony Talents biography has been on Soul Source a while now....

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/articles/soul-articles/tony-talent-the-coalitions-biograpy-r2282

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

In general the company reissuing the record has to pay the owner of the publishing and the owner of the master, and it's those people's jobs to pay the songwriters and performers. For tiny artists / labels, the publisher and master owner are frequently out of contact with the people they are supposed to pay and they pocket the money. So it's possible that reissue company does what it's supposed to do but the people they pay don't pay the artists. For master payments, the producer will often say that they never recouped their advance so they won't pay the artist even if they are in contact. It's also possible that the reissue company just bootlegged it, I don't know the CD.

Following Bob's post through, I can tell you that the amount of artists who moan about not having recieved royalties is matched only by the number of times some of these artists have moved house, city, state and sometimes country without notifying the owners of either their masters or publishing that they are no longer at the address that they lived at when they signed their deal.

My colleague Roger Armstrong told me of receiving a phone call in the early 1990s from an exasperated Arthur Alexander, who was complaining that he hadn't received a penny from Universal or Sony for the sales on the two CDs that Ace has in its catalogue on Arthur. Roger explained to Arthur that we account directly to the master owners and that we had been doing so since both CDs and the earlier Ace vinyl album had been released,

Roger then enquired if Arthur had moved since he last received any money from anyone who owned masters on him. 'Oh yes, quite a few times' Arthur replied.

I probably don't need to paint you the rest of this picture...

Social source share

I talked to :

Chris Bartley

Van McCoy's half-sister

Shelby Singleton

Chris Jackson

David Kapralik

All had memories of him but couldn't help any further. Chris Bartley said that Tony Talent was a real singer and not VMc under a different name, apparently he was a 13 year old protege of VMc. BTW Chris Jackson was well mental and off his rocker when we talked :huh:

No, he sung other people's material but did most with VMc. Maybe the Shrinettes on SS could shed some light on him, hopefully it's the same BR who recorded on that label.

Did you find if Bobby Reed was his real name?

Tony Talent is a known, different person, he was in the Coalitions.

Edited by boba
Social source share

I talked to :

Chris Bartley

Van McCoy's half-sister

Shelby Singleton

Chris Jackson

David Kapralik

I spoke to Harry Bass about him. He does recall him, and his 'manager' Clay Roberts, specifically from the 'Baby Don't Leave Me/Caldonia Brown' session ... he didn't know where either of them might be now

Andy Rix

Social source share

I spoke to Harry Bass about him. He does recall him, and his 'manager' Clay Roberts, specifically from the 'Baby Don't Leave Me/Caldonia Brown' session ... he didn't know where either of them might be now

Andy Rix

Thank you, you Shrinette you................... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

There doesn't seem to be any information out there about The Desires (Starville, Tamboo, Moneytown?), besides that they're from the West side of Chicago.

cheers Bob, not sure if I've asked this before, but do you have any info on the writer of both sides of Ultimations 45 "Po-Jo" I've seen "Po-Mo" as writing credits on something Chicago, but can't remember what?

I'd be interested to know this also. Both sides of the Admirations 45 second release on One-Der-Ful "Don't Leave Me/All For You," give production and arrangement credits to a "Po-Jo" aswell. Also, the tracks "How You Feel" and "Let's Get The Show On The Road" by Sheryl Swope giving writing credit to a "Po-So." And I'm pretty certain I've seen one of those names or something similar on other Chicago records aswell. Interested to know who these could be, I really like the Ulti-mations 45.

Edited by BlackCab
Social source share

There doesn't seem to be any information out there about The Desires (Starville, Tamboo, Moneytown?), besides that they're from the West side of Chicago.

I'd be interested to know this also. Both sides of the Admirations 45 second release on One-Der-Ful "Don't Leave Me/All For You," give production and arrangement credits to a "Po-Jo" aswell. Also, the tracks "How You Feel" and "Let's Get The Show On The Road" by Sheryl Swope giving writing credit to a "Po-So." And I'm pretty certain I've seen one of those names or something similar on other Chicago records aswell. Interested to know who these could be, I really like the Ulti-mations 45.

The Desires are from the west side of Chicago. They recorded on Moneytown, Blue Light (both George Redman labels), Tamboo, Starville, and their final record is the Dynamic Desires on Mel. Unfortunately I've heard that the lead singer Joe Faulkner is not in a state that an interview would be possible (and that was like 5 years ago). I also heard that their guitarist Charles Mays passed away.

I do know that the Del-Tours are a totally different group, despite doing a slightly different version of the same song.

I posted about the Po-So and Po-Jo here when Soul-Integrity asked before, I will search to try to find my post.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Just a quick one to thank everyone for their contributions regarding Margie Hendrix/Hendricks. More info in 2 days that I've had in 10 years!! Especially appreciate the photo's and links.

Many Thanks

Social source share

What about Buddy Smith? All that I know of him is that as well as his "When You Lose The One You Love" on Brute, he also wrote "She's Got You Now" (or "He's Got You Now", depending which version you prefer).

Buddy is alive and well, living in Detroit. He also sang with the Tokays. After recording his stuff for Tony Clark's Brute label he left the business. Then about three years ago he hooked up with his old producer McKinley Jackson and started doing a few clubs around Detroit with McKinley's allstar ensemble, which also has Joey Kingfish amongst others playing with it. Saw him at a gig last year, when he sang 'To lose the one you love' live, just stunning.

Social source share

Guest woody no1

still nothing on tom green then? someone must know something had a little dig around the web but no leads

com,on guys and gals

Social source share

does anyone know who she is?

[media=]

The instrumentation sounds like Chicago from 1967-69 or so. I seem to remember her voice as a Chicago artist with some records I have. But, not under the name Toni Williams. But, I think I also remember a female Toni Williams having at least one record released (but earlier-possibly 1962-64?)-maybe on Chess or Checker?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

All right, then...who has some info on Curtis King?

More to the point, who has a copy of his Ronze 45 that they would like to give my daughter to give to me as a belated Fathers' Day present!

Social source share

More to the point, who has a copy of his Ronze 45 that they would like to give my daughter to give to me as a belated Fathers' Day present!

I could also do with a copy if anyone has got a stash.

How about Chuck Wood? Any further info about him?

I have a feeling that it's not the same artist on all the 45s in this discography:

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/cwood.htm

The Mercury and SSS releases definitely aren't. They're all country.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

King Moses .... I've Got This Feeling / I Forgot To say (I Love You) ... Pet ... Louisville, KY (1981)

I've always understood that nothing was known of King Moses apart from that he is rumoured to have died shortly after the record was released.

The website on the below clip is dud but the phone number code is Indianapolis, a mere 114 miles (2 hr drive) away from Louisville, Kentucky.

I can find 3 or 4 mentions of singer King Moses in the Indianapolis Recorder from the very late 80s, one with a photo from 31/12/1988 ...

https://134.68.190.87.../id/65587/rec/4

I may be clutching at straws but to my ears there are times in the above Youtube clip that his voice sounds very similar especially at the beginning (in green robe).

For me an absolutely fabulous double-sider especially the deeper flip.

Could the above clip be our man?

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

What about Buddy Smith? All that I know of him is that as well as his "When You Lose The One You Love" on Brute, he also wrote "She's Got You Now" (or "He's Got You Now", depending which version you prefer).

Gene, I am sure It was Richard Pack I was chatting to some years ago about his record buying forays and artist searches in Detroit, I always marvelled at his record finds and the stores & archives he had access to, a particularly interesting snippet was that he had been introduced to a local barber, one Buddy Smith who then went on to discuss his Brute recording. Not sure whether it was a meeting that was destined for Richard's superb "Soul Survivor" magazine, which prematurely folded. Regards, Lee

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Gene, I am sure It was Richard Pack I was chatting to some years ago about his record buying forays and artist searches in Detroit, I always marvelled at his record finds and the stores & archives he had access to, a particularly interesting snippet was that he had been introduced to a local barber, one Buddy Smith who then went on to discuss his Brute recording. Not sure whether it was a meeting that was destined for Richard's superb "Soul Survivor" magazine, which prematurely folded. Regards, Lee

You're right, he was a barber. Click on the "more" bit under General Info

https://www.myspace.com/charlesbuddysmith

Social source share

King Moses .... I've Got This Feeling / I Forgot To say (I Love You) ... Pet ... Louisville, KY (1981)

I've always understood that nothing was known of King Moses apart from that he is rumoured to have died shortly after the record was released.

The website on the below clip is dud but the phone number code is Indianapolis, a mere 114 miles (2 hr drive) away from Louisville, Kentucky.

I can find 3 or 4 mentions of singer King Moses in the Indianapolis Recorder from the very late 80s, one with a photo from 31/12/1988 ...

https://134.68.190.87.../id/65587/rec/4

I may be clutching at straws but to my ears there are times in the above Youtube clip that his voice sounds very similar especially at the beginning (in green robe).

For me an absolutely fabulous double-sider especially the deeper flip.

Could the above clip be our man?

Yep the story was he died soon after making the record. But agree it does sound like our man, and also the guitar hold 2 mins and 10 in sounds kind of familiar....God I hope one of our heroes isn't reduced to making dodgy versions of "Shout" for semi hosed mid west white folk who can't dance :lol: :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I thought the king moses record was tracked

ELIZABETH B VANOVER

LOCITY MUSIC

1516 HIGH SIERRA DR

LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 30243-5753

770) 962-3595

I spoke to his wife years ago and he was no longer with us. She said she had nothing but had licensed the Pet 45 to a UK company

Her details are above. Feel free to call her. I can't guarantee the 4th caller will get a welcome reception.

Actually she might have moved house

Andypost-13948-0-52678800-1339972263_thumb.j

Social source share

ELIZABETH B VANOVER

LOCITY MUSIC

1516 HIGH SIERRA DR

770) 962-3595

I spoke to his wife years ago and he was no longer with us. She said she had nothing but had licensed the Pet 45 to a UK company

Her details are above. Feel free to call her. I can't guarantee the 4th caller will get a welcome reception.

yeah I know at least two people that called

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

ELIZABETH B VANOVER

LOCITY MUSIC

1516 HIGH SIERRA DR

770) 962-3595

Andy, thanks for that. I wasn't aware King Moses had been sussed so it was wishful thinking with the YT clip.

Do you, or anyone, know any biographical details about him ? Real name (Vanover) I suppose, recorded under any aliases, age, etc etc etc.

The backing band, whoever they were, sound hot as well

Dave

Social source share

I could also do with a copy if anyone has got a stash.

How about Chuck Wood? Any further info about him?

I have a feeling that it's not the same artist on all the 45s in this discography:

https://www.soulfulki...c.net/cwood.htm

The Mercury and SSS releases definitely aren't. They're all country.

According to my close friend Bobby Jay, Chuck Wood, Al Wilson and Rubin are JR Bailey......if not, Vernon Harrell.

JR is of course deceased, But BJ was very close to JR and after listening to songs at a mutual friends house in New Jersey back in 06, it was 'confirmed'

On a separate note, a well known producer living in Florida feels Lainie Hill,Vala Regan and Jessica James might all be Elaine Hill. Jury's out on that one-

although my contact played on most of the Dyno/New Voice sessions.

Digest that if you will!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

According to my close friend Bobby Jay, Chuck Wood, Al Wilson and Rubin are JR Bailey......if not, Vernon Harrell.

JR is of course deceased, But BJ was very close to JR and after listening to songs at a mutual friends house in New Jersey back in 06, it was 'confirmed'

On a separate note, a well known producer living in Florida feels Lainie Hill,Vala Regan and Jessica James might all be Elaine Hill. Jury's out on that one-

although my contact played on most of the Dyno/New Voice sessions.

Digest that if you will!

I think it was actually established that Elaine Hill was Lainie HIll but that was maybe 12-15 years back and I can't remember how it happened. Sorry for that useless information.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!